Kicking The Tires On A New TV...Advice Needed

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Kicking The Tires On A New TV...Advice Needed

Post by sportdan30 »

MizzouRah wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 10:03 pm
sportdan30 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 11:22 am
Upgraded my 65" LG C1 I bought a few weeks ago to the 77" LG C1. Bigger is definitely better. Streaming shows, movies, and games look absolutely incredible. Sports look pretty darn good and SDR looks average.
Wow! I would have to get rid of our entertainment center but I bet it looks incredible!! Watching the Blues would be like I was at the arena. :)
Fortunately, this tv is now mounted in our basement, which is perfect because of the controlled light. Hockey indeed looks really good, although the picture is a tad bit dim for my taste. Although, its strange. Sometimes, I'll turn on a playoff game and it looks just perfect and other times it looks a little too dim. I still prefer watching the game on my Samsung LED, even if the picture is a bit over saturated. Basketball and baseball look great on the OLED and I'm looking forward to watching college and pro football on there. The smoothness is much better on the OLED as is the lack of the dirty screen effect. But games and movies is where this tv really shines. I no longer can watch a movie on my LED. Not that the experience is bad, but more so it just looks flat. I can only imagine how that S95B looks!

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I'm really enjoying the S95B, XSX games look incredible, just played some M22 and the lighting looks perfect, whereas on my SK9000 some stadiums appear a bit dark at times. Games like Lego Star Wars pop with the brightness.

Sports look great and I don't get any motion blur, which is excellent. Of course 4k HDR stuff really shows what this OLED can do and I couldn't be happier so far with my purchase.

Super Bowl at your house Dan!!!
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Thoughts on a series 5/6 TCL for gaming on PS5?

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

I have 2 older 2018 or 19 Series 6 TCL TV's. Still looks great to me gaming on Xbox Series One X. At the time it was the best bang for the buck, pronably still is.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Pete1210 wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:32 am
I have 2 older 2018 or 19 Series 6 TCL TV's. Still looks great to me gaming on Xbox Series One X. At the time it was the best bang for the buck, pronably still is.
Thanks!

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Pete1210 wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:32 am
I got a TCL 55' @ Costco like 2 years ago. Cost me I think like $280. I think it's a basic series 3 or 4. It's the best TV I've ever owned. It's got 4k and everything you need for next gen consoles. It don't have 120hz but that's ok with me. Not many games are 120hz yet anyway.

I still have a 15 year old Panasonic Plasma for movies in the living room. Gaming on it shows it's age sometimes but movies are great to watch still. I want to upgrade it and get another TCL 65 inch or higher. But decided not to replace it until it dies, which may never happen!

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

fletcher21 wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:03 pm
I got a TCL 55' @ Costco like 2 years ago. Cost me I think like $280. I think it's a basic series 3 or 4. It's the best TV I've ever owned. It's got 4k and everything you need for next gen consoles. It don't have 120hz but that's ok with me. Not many games are 120hz yet anyway.

Check out Costco. They had stopped selling TCL as of last year but i went in there a few weeks ago and saw them selling them again.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Lancer wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:55 pm
fletcher21 wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:03 pm

Check out Costco. They had stopped selling TCL as of last year but i went in there a few weeks ago and saw them selling them again.
Thanks!

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

As someone who is on the sales/marketing side of the TV industry now...

Holy s***, y'all are probably in for some amazing prices in the next couple months as long as you are OK with 2021 models. Everyone has too much inventory, guessing Prime Day timeframe will be particularly competitive.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

My 65" just crapped out and I'm looking for a new, slightly bigger (TV 72"+).

Thoughts on this one? is 8K worth it yet?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-75 ... Variations

The 4k Version:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-75 ... Id=6503079

Or this one:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-75 ... Id=6500633

Seems like a few of you like this series:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-77-clas ... Id=6501489

jLp_VaKer0
Mario Mendoza

Post by jLp_VaKer0 »

Sudz wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:41 pm
My 65" just crapped out and I'm looking for a new, slightly bigger (TV 72"+).

Thoughts on this one? is 8K worth it yet?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-75 ... Variations

The 4k Version:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-75 ... Id=6503079

Or this one:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-75 ... Id=6500633

Seems like a few of you like this series:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-77-clas ... Id=6501489

If the room you're gonna use the TV doesn't get a lot of sunlight or you can control it during viewing sessions I would go for the LG OLED without hesitation. Also, remember that Samsung TVs don't support Dolby Vision. I enjoy my Q90t, but if Samsung doesn't add DV support whenever I upgrade I will go with another brand.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I’ll show my bias and recommend taking a look at the Hisense U8H, it’s a pretty big leap over the company’s previous sets (I’ve been working for them for a little while). The specs for the price are really good (mini-LED, VRR, low latency, etc) and the company has put a lot of effort into gaming features.

But if you’re in a low-light room, you can’t beat OLED.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

My main 65” Samsung whatever model has been on its way out for around six months so I’ve been eyeing the hell out of the OLED TVs at Costco. Started getting a bright spot in one area of the screen and a few times a week it wouldn’t turn on.

Came home with a 77” C2 yesterday. First tv I’ve had with any modern features. HDR, Dolby Vision, 120hz, etc. holy hell why didn’t I do this sooner? Well, I suppose the 2,500 dollar price tag was an issue. Lol. Came with a 5 year warranty right now at Costco and rumor is it will go down a few hundred before Super Bowl so I can get that refunded.

I have a pretty light controlled room so the brightness is pretty much retina burning so not sure why anyone would need brighter. The C3 is supposed to do that but I didn’t want to wait and it seems to be the only significant upgrade to the C2 and obviously it won’t be discounted for months when it does come out.

Cant recommend the C2 enough if you’re in the market.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Yeah, I've had the couple-years-old LG CX for a bit now, and that 120Hz VRR OLED tech can't be beaten. I can't imagine what a newer, bigger, more-tech version would be like. The old one I have is still bad ass.

I ended up getting three OLEDs for my PC setup (48" Aorus OLED dedicated PC monitors instead of TVs). Just can't beat OLED, really. For anything! :lol:

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:48 am
My main 65” Samsung whatever model has been on its way out for around six months so I’ve been eyeing the hell out of the OLED TVs at Costco. Started getting a bright spot in one area of the screen and a few times a week it wouldn’t turn on.

Came home with a 77” C2 yesterday. First tv I’ve had with any modern features. HDR, Dolby Vision, 120hz, etc. holy hell why didn’t I do this sooner? Well, I suppose the 2,500 dollar price tag was an issue. Lol. Came with a 5 year warranty right now at Costco and rumor is it will go down a few hundred before Super Bowl so I can get that refunded.

I have a pretty light controlled room so the brightness is pretty much retina burning so not sure why anyone would need brighter. The C3 is supposed to do that but I didn’t want to wait and it seems to be the only significant upgrade to the C2 and obviously it won’t be discounted for months when it does come out.

Cant recommend the C2 enough if you’re in the market.
I got the same set (65”) about two months ago and it is an incredible set. Love the Game Optimizer settings. The picture is superb. This is my first OLED so I was, and still am, blown away by the set.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Diablo25 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:58 pm

I got the same set (65”) about two months ago and it is an incredible set. Love the Game Optimizer settings. The picture is superb. This is my first OLED so I was, and still am, blown away by the set.
Yeah for sure. I now need another Xbox Series X because I need one in my main room now to go w the TV. I normally play in my office/man cave.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Yep, I have the 77" C1 in our basement and it's my go to tv for gaming, movies, and sports watching. It's amazing how most every streaming show and movie just visually pops. I don't see myself upgrading for a long long time. Best tv I've ever owned.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Diablo25 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:58 pm
Same. It's incredibly good. It's ruined every other TV in the house, though.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

I dont remember if this was the thread for cutting cable but here goes.

Been with comcast 17 years. my costs went up last year by $20. I was like fine.

Now they are only offering deals with their mobile service which I dont want. If i don't resub with them, my package I have increases by $120. It's like $350 a year. f that.

i hardly watch it anymore and most of the stuff my family watches is netflix, disney plus, or sports like NFL playoffs which I can get over the air.

What are the best streaming services right now going? I am looking into youtube tv. But again, I may just not even get anything as I really don't need a service. Netflix/Amazon/Disney+ seem like enough. And for baseball I will get the MLB package free yearly since I have tmobile. NFL football I watch weekly thru online streaming which was very very very easy this season since it was no longer controlled by direct tv.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

We've been very happy with Youtube TV. Have had their service for about 4 years with the occasional switch over to Fubo to watch hockey and baseball. Unfortunately, Youtube TV doesn't have Bally Sports Midwest, but I can find other means to watch the games on the iPad if I so choose. Other than that, unlimited cloud dvr, straight forward interface, excellent phone app, etc. I will say when I started with the service, it was only $35 a month. Now, it's $72. But.....I'm splitting service with my brother-in-law, so it's pretty damn affordable.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I've tried all of the streaming services for regular cable and stuck with YTTV - it's easily the best of the bunch.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

YouTube TV is the best.

But ... it is a direct cable replacement. Sure, it has nice features like unlimited cloud DVR, integrated Google search, good integration with YouTube, excellent mobile app, the ability to watch on many different devices. But if you're not sure you need cable, there's little with YTTV or any streaming service that will provide features that offer justifiable value for money.

I'm the debut of a standalone ESPN service away from dropping YTTV entirely. Not because I don't love YTTV -- I do. But because just about the only thing I watch regularly on YTTV that I can't get through a standalone streamer such as Peacock, Paramount+ or Hulu or an OTA HD antenna is sports on the ESPN family of networks. Just about every non-sports show I watch is on Netflix, Prime Video, Apple TV or Max.

I would LOVE to slice that $75 per month from my expenses. Doubt I would miss it much at all.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

thanks for the suggestions fellas

I called xfinity back to see what the price would be for just internet no cable. They said $140 a mo! It says on their website the fastest is $70/mo but that's only for new customers.

So if i get YT TV + keep comcast internet it's like $220 / mo which is still too much.

Maybe I need to look at another internet provider like ATT. But I removed all the phone lines in the house some years ago so not sure how they would connect.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I pay $84 per month for Kinetic fiber optic, including all taxes and fees. 400 MBPS upload and download speeds. Works well for me.

You're getting ripped the f*ck off, Lancer. About the only worse company in America than Spectrum is Comcast. Both thieves.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

My bill last week for Cox internet was $130 (they added $10 because we barely went over the data cap). F'n BS!

I checked and we finally have fiber available from ATT.

3 days later I have ATT installed and our new bill is $65 with no data cap. ($5 off for paperless bill)