Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:06 pm
pk500 wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:22 pm
Here's the little secret about the Series X/S: The launch lineup blows. What are the killer exclusives at launch? Nada.
I would say both launch lineups suck which is why I don't care that much although one of my XB1X just died.
Yep. Sorry to hear about your deceased XB1X. Kind of blows my mind that my OG Xbox One from 2014 still works even though it's used damn near every day.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Agree that the PS5 launch lineup is not too impressive. But, I'm still excited to play Miles Morales, Astrobots, and Sackboy (love platform games). Bugsnax looks semi interesting. Demon Souls looks good, but I know the difficulty will be too frustrating to play.

And then there's the Series X, which I'm most likely keeping when it's all said and done. I'm looking forward to continuing RDR2. But..... what else is there to play from the outset? I really hope MS turns things around this generation with some great exlusive titles.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

sportdan30 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:35 pm
Agree that the PS5 launch lineup is not too impressive. But, I'm still excited to play Miles Morales, Astrobots, and Sackboy (love platform games). Bugsnax looks semi interesting. Demon Souls looks good, but I know the difficulty will be too frustrating to play.

And then there's the Series X, which I'm most likely keeping when it's all said and done. I'm looking forward to continuing RDR2. But..... what else is there to play from the outset? I really hope MS turns things around this generation with some great exlusive titles.
This is where different tastes come in. Miles Morales is just a re-skinned shorter Spiderman. I hate platform games and I've never heard of the others you mention. As for the XBX there is not a single title that won't play on my PC I am aware of so no need for that right now either. My point was simply the lineups suck, they are trying to sell you on the hardware in my opinion.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Danimal wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:52 pm
As for the XBX there is not a single title that My point was simply the lineups suck, they are trying to sell you on the hardware in my opinion.
So? Hardware sucker here. Shiny and new = good in my life. Clearly there are hundreds of thousands who agree (or whatever preorder sales are). Faster and prettier sells. This boards demographic is definitely not the majority. Obviously.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:37 pm
Danimal wrote:
As for the XBX there is not a single title that My point was simply the lineups suck, they are trying to sell you on the hardware in my opinion.
So? Hardware sucker here. Shiny and new = good in my life. Clearly there are hundreds of thousands who agree (or whatever preorder sales are). Faster and prettier sells. This boards demographic is definitely not the majority. Obviously.
Me too DB...me too. VERY excited to get my shiny new XBSX. I am not a PC gamer so when the new consoles arrive I am all in. Oh, and to each his own.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

It's definitely a very odd launch for both systems, but they both will end up shining. There are some BC titles that I will look forward to finishing up on the new Series X, Gears 5 being the big one. Looking forward to playing Gears Tactics as well. Who can't be excited for some launch Tetris either? :D

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Diablo25 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:18 pm
dbdynsty25 wrote:
Danimal wrote:
Me too DB...me too. VERY excited to get my shiny new XBSX. I am not a PC gamer so when the new consoles arrive I am all in. Oh, and to each his own.
I've got a pretty selfish interest in the Series X. So far, I haven't jones'd over it for the new Series X specific titles it will offer and eventually offer. I'm interested for what it *might* do for me in boosting the performance of specific XBox One X games I already have. For example, PGA TOUR 2K21 needs to run at 60 FPS to deliver the proportional performance its tempo dependent swing requires. I play the game on a gaming PC that can run it at 60 FPS and it's a much more satisfying game experience with that kind of feedback... the all to frequent random nature of the shot results I get at 30 FPS on the One X are not a concern at 60 FPS. If HB Studios adds a software switch to allow the Series X gamer an option to turn off vsync, or set vsync to 60 Hz, or even support Variable Refresh Rate (for VRR capable displays), it will be like getting a new game. I also realize I'm expecting more than HB Studios is willing to provide though.

I like NASCAR Heat 4 on the XBox One X, but I'd like to be able to experience it at 60 FPS, even if it was still restricted to 1080p. There's no reason a 2019 game should be running at 30 FPS in 1080p on an XBox One X, let alone a Series X 8O I think again that NASCAR Heat 4 is locked at 30 FPS, via the 30 Hz vsync lock, so here again, it would probably require some intervention by the developer to get around this. It might happen with NASCAR Heat 5, but I wouldn't expect them to go back and do it for 4.

There are a number of other 30 FPS/1080p restricted games I'd like to see get some relief on the Series X, but I should temper those wishes with a dose of practicality. Still, we've got the SSD load time benefit and auto HDR to look forward to, so I find that interesting as well. I'm a tweaker as much as I am a gamer, so I expect to get more pleasure in that regard with the Series X. It's still hard to get a handle on just how much work the Microsoft backward compatibility team is going to do to dress up games like PGA TOUR 2K21, NASCAR Heat 4/5, PCR and PCR 2. I'm just very curious about what they tackle and just how far they're willing to go with it.

Meanwhile, I still haven't been able to score a Series X on release day. I haven't heard a peep from any of the "notify me when stock is available" e-mails I filed with all the major retailers, and honestly, I'm not expecting to be able to get one until next year. I'll have to live my Series X dreams vicariously through you guys! I will be so excited the first time I read a "Holy $hit... I can't believe how much more playable 2K21 is at 60 FPS on my Series X!" report from one of you :) 8)

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:17 pm
Diablo25 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:18 pm
dbdynsty25 wrote:

I've got a pretty selfish interest in the Series X. So far, I haven't jones'd over it for the new Series X specific titles it will offer and eventually offer. I'm interested for what it *might* do for me in boosting the performance of specific XBox One X games I already have. For example, PGA TOUR 2K21 needs to run at 60 FPS to deliver the proportional performance its tempo dependent swing requires. I play the game on a gaming PC that can run it at 60 FPS and it's a much more satisfying game experience with that kind of feedback... the all to frequent random nature of the shot results I get at 30 FPS on the One X are not a concern at 60 FPS. If HB Studios adds a software switch to allow the Series X gamer an option to turn off vsync, or set vsync to 60 Hz, or even support Variable Refresh Rate (for VRR capable displays), it will be like getting a new game. I also realize I'm expecting more than HB Studios is willing to provide though.

I like NASCAR Heat 4 on the XBox One X, but I'd like to be able to experience it at 60 FPS, even if it was still restricted to 1080p. There's no reason a 2019 game should be running at 30 FPS in 1080p on an XBox One X, let alone a Series X 8O I think again that NASCAR Heat 4 is locked at 30 FPS, via the 30 Hz vsync lock, so here again, it would probably require some intervention by the developer to get around this. It might happen with NASCAR Heat 5, but I wouldn't expect them to go back and do it for 4.

There are a number of other 30 FPS/1080p restricted games I'd like to see get some relief on the Series X, but I should temper those wishes with a dose of practicality. Still, we've got the SSD load time benefit and auto HDR to look forward to, so I find that interesting as well. I'm a tweaker as much as I am a gamer, so I expect to get more pleasure in that regard with the Series X. It's still hard to get a handle on just how much work the Microsoft backward compatibility team is going to do to dress up games like PGA TOUR 2K21, NASCAR Heat 4/5, PCR and PCR 2. I'm just very curious about what they tackle and just how far they're willing to go with it.

Meanwhile, I still haven't been able to score a Series X on release day. I haven't heard a peep from any of the "notify me when stock is available" e-mails I filed with all the major retailers, and honestly, I'm not expecting to be able to get one until next year. I'll have to live my Series X dreams vicariously through you guys! I will be so excited the first time I read a "Holy $hit... I can't believe how much more playable 2K21 is at 60 FPS on my Series X!" report from one of you :) 8)
PGA2K21 may be the first game I try on my XBSX.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

sportdan30 wrote:

If by chance you don't want the Xbox Series X, I'll buy it from you and even meet you at East Coast Pizza to buy you some lunch. :P
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

IGN review of the Xbox Series X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW7bpujoqPo

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

MizzouRah wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:58 am
sportdan30 wrote:

If by chance you don't want the Xbox Series X, I'll buy it from you and even meet you at East Coast Pizza to buy you some lunch. :P
Let me give it some thought. Decisions decisions. Love me some East Coast Pizza. :wink:

EDIT: I'm leaning towards keeping it. More than likely, I would have bought it eventually. Also, having access to Game Pass makes putting out less dough for games. Not as much as an investment from the get go. I wish you luck finding one. I heard Walmart is going to be doing online orders next week I believe.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Think I'll see if there are any black friday deals on the X since most games aren't switching over until December.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

PS5 reviews are live.

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

fsquid wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:33 am
Think I'll see if there are any black friday deals on the X since most games aren't switching over until December.
I don't think you will find any BF deals on the new consoles this year. Lucky if you can find one at all.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Wow, I really haven't been paying attention. For some reason I thought the Xbox backwards compatibility was broader than it is, mostly with the original Xbox--there are a couple games I've held onto over the years (like Codemasters' IndyCar) in case I end up able to play them again down the road. But there are only 39 that will work, at least at launch.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Pete1210 wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:14 am
fsquid wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:33 am
I don't think you will find any BF deals on the new consoles this year. Lucky if you can find one at all.
Well maybe some bundle deals. If not, ill get one once FIFA is upgradeable.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

sportdan30 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:54 am

Let me give it some thought. Decisions decisions. Love me some East Coast Pizza. :wink:

EDIT: I'm leaning towards keeping it. More than likely, I would have bought it eventually. Also, having access to Game Pass makes putting out less dough for games. Not as much as an investment from the get go. I wish you luck finding one. I heard Walmart is going to be doing online orders next week I believe.
I'm really in no rush, but if I can find one online I'll grab it for sure. I'd actually rather trade my Xbox One X into a place like Gamestop to put it towards a new Series X.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

MizzouRah wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:16 pm
sportdan30 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:54 am

I'm really in no rush, but if I can find one online I'll grab it for sure. I'd actually rather trade my Xbox One X into a place like Gamestop to put it towards a new Series X.
That's exactly what I did. I sold my PS4 and Xbox One 3.5 months ago in preparation of the new consoles. I missed console gaming more than I thought I would. I've been playing on my son's gaming pc which has been nice. But I've come to the conclusion I'd rather just game on a console going forward even knowing the pc tech continues to evolve at a more rapid pace.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Target will apparently have some consoles in store on launch day, and the way to grab one is to order online for store pickup. That’s my plan right at midnight Thursday.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

fletcher21 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:26 pm
Target will apparently have some consoles in store on launch day, and the way to grab one is to order online for store pickup. That’s my plan right at midnight Thursday.
Good plan I'll check it out as well, thanks!

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

sportdan30 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:22 pm

That's exactly what I did. I sold my PS4 and Xbox One 3.5 months ago in preparation of the new consoles. I missed console gaming more than I thought I would. I've been playing on my son's gaming pc which has been nice. But I've come to the conclusion I'd rather just game on a console going forward even knowing the pc tech continues to evolve at a more rapid pace.
We should all meet up at ECP some weekend, there seems to be a few STL folks on here.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

MizzouRah wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:59 pm
fletcher21 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:26 pm
Good plan I'll check it out as well, thanks!
No one can say when they will show up online, but I’ll be up at midnight working so I plan to check then. Odds are very low I’ll get one, but worth a shot.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

MizzouRah wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:01 pm
sportdan30 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:22 pm

We should all meet up at ECP some weekend, there seems to be a few STL folks on here.
Not sure what ECP is, but I'd suggest an outing at Top Golf. Went last weekend with my wife and another could to celebrate the husband's birthday. It was a good set-up for social distancing, and they are the only couple we hang out with. It's basically outdoors, so there is lots of air flow.

And it was even more fun than I would have imagined.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Free month of Disney+ for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. https://www.gamespot.com/articles/free- ... 04-10aaa1d
PSN Name - EPDiablo25