Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5

Post by Pete1210 »

MUTTS wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:40 pm
So my teenagers have officially proclaimed that they want an XBox series X. Main reason is to play with their friends. I guess that gets us off the fence. I was always a PS guy because of MLB the show- but I guess that doesnt really matter any more. My gaming is pretty nonexistent at this point in life. So tell me, is ability to play with their friends a solid enough reason to pick one over the other?
Tony
Yes. That's why I get xbox first, because that's where my friends game online.

And The Show will be coming to xbox next year.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Tony:

Hey, man. Hope you're well. My youngest, a 15-year-old (used to hoop against your son in youth leagues and modified -- now he's year-round soccer and outdoor track) plays online all the time on weekends with a rat pack of his buddies here in Marcellus.

Every one of those kids is on Xbox. Microsoft has slayed Sony from the start with online gaming -- Xbox Live is the one area of the console wars where Microsoft has dominated.

Also doesn't hurt that the Series X has slightly better tech specs than the PS5. But if your son wants to game online, I'd be willing to bet a Doug's fish dinner that nearly all of his friends are playing on Xbox Live.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

what will be the better system for sports games next gen? that's all i care about.

it seems now w/ THE SHOW coming to XB, they are pretty equal. I loved the racing games on 360 but on XBO, they just didnt do it for me as a more casual racing fan. I did enjoy the forza horizon series but other than that, not many other racers interested me.

I'll wait it out and maybe buy around March when THE SHOW comes out.

MUTTS
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by MUTTS »

pk500 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:43 am
Tony:

Hey, man. Hope you're well. My youngest, a 15-year-old (used to hoop against your son in youth leagues and modified -- now he's year-round soccer and outdoor track) plays online all the time on weekends with a rat pack of his buddies here in Marcellus.

Every one of those kids is on Xbox. Microsoft has slayed Sony from the start with online gaming -- Xbox Live is the one area of the console wars where Microsoft has dominated.

Also doesn't hurt that the Series X has slightly better tech specs than the PS5. But if your son wants to game online, I'd be willing to bet a Doug's fish dinner that nearly all of his friends are playing on Xbox Live.
I'm well-busy coaching cross country among the usual stuff. Marcellus pays a visit this weekend.

The plus of going the Xbx route means I can join you fellows for some pgatour--gets a little lonely on the ps4 side.
Tony

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I was planning on building a new gaming rig with the AMD Ryzen 3 and RTX 3080 but if the XSX does compare to a high end PC I may decide against building a new PC. So while some argue that the XSX is redundant because they have a PC for that, for me the XSX could make the PC redundant and save me a sh*tload of money in the process.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Learning more about the payment plan for the Xbox consoles. Really good idea. You get to pay off the console, get xbox live gold, and game pass all for a monthly fee of $25 or $35. That is very appealing. I dont know if they are advertising it more as I sort of found it by accident. If they can market the crap out of that offer they will move consoles.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Rodster wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:48 pm
I was planning on building a new gaming rig with the AMD Ryzen 3 and RTX 3080 but if the XSX does compare to a high end PC I may decide against building a new PC. So while some argue that the XSX is redundant because they have a PC for that, for me the XSX could make the PC redundant and save me a sh*tload of money in the process.
I'm not sure what you consider a high end gaming PC but the XSX doesn't even compare to my Falcon NW which is 3 years old. Granted this is a custom built rig that when all is said and done cost 3k but I think our definitions of high end might be a bit different. :D
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:04 pm
MUTTS wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:40 pm
So my teenagers have officially proclaimed that they want an XBox series X. Main reason is to play with their friends. I guess that gets us off the fence. I was always a PS guy because of MLB the show- but I guess that doesnt really matter any more. My gaming is pretty nonexistent at this point in life. So tell me, is ability to play with their friends a solid enough reason to pick one over the other?
Tony
Well, obviously picking one system over the other is dependent on what consoles the FRIENDS pick. That would determine which one your kids get so that they can play together. That said, quite a few multiplatform games are going online without being platform specific so unless there are games that are exclusives, playing online is going to get easier as we go forward.
Also, the next MLB The Show will be on Series X as well as PS5 and the Switch.

So you won't be giving up on it completely.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Danimal wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:32 pm
Rodster wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:48 pm
I'm not sure what you consider a high end gaming PC but the XSX doesn't even compare to my Falcon NW which is 3 years old. Granted this is a custom built rig that when all is said and done cost 3k but I think our definitions of high end might be a bit different. :D
First you need to understand that i'm PK jr. :)

I'm still gaming in 1080p and I still have no problem with that as long as the image looks good. As an example F1 2020 on my PS4 Pro looks exactly the same as it does on my PC with all the bells and whistles. Secondly, since you deal in software you can appreciate that most games maybe 90% of the games made today are based on the consoles. Back in the 1990's it was almost 100% of the games were developed for the PC. So times have changed.

If the image looks good with some nice bells and whistles added with a solid framerate i'm all for that if the XSX can pull it off and i'm sure it will. Lastly being the cheap f#%k that I am my Series X will probably cost me $0 and i've setup a new Rewards account that should get me Game Pass Ultimate for $0 each yr.

If I have money burning a hole in my pocket I may do another build on my PC. The only thing I miss not playing is the new Microsoft Flight Simulator but that is definitely coming to the Series X.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

So will there be consoles at retailers on Nov 10th outside of pre-orders? I might be just missing it, but I am not finding much info. As said earlier, it seems launches anymore are a pain in the ass.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

JOZ wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:43 am
So will there be consoles at retailers on Nov 10th outside of pre-orders? I might be just missing it, but I am not finding much info. As said earlier, it seems launches anymore are a pain in the ass.
Near as I can tell, no. Retailers are barely getting enough to do pre-orders officially. It's a weird weird launch. I've read that you likely won't be able to walk into a store to get one until early 2021. All this is unofficial so hopefully I'm wrong.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I don't get why they (M$ and PS) don't just pre-sell these thing like phones. Anyone can order, but you might not get a ship date until (possibly) months out?? Apple doesn't stop selling phones, they just keep pushing out the delivery date. Just let me order one. If I have to wait a couple months, fine?!? Does anyone know why they do it this way?
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:06 pm
JOZ wrote:
Near as I can tell, no. Retailers are barely getting enough to do pre-orders officially. It's a weird weird launch. I've read that you likely won't be able to walk into a store to get one until early 2021. All this is unofficial so hopefully I'm wrong.
We're in the middle of a resurgent global pandemic. America is on the verge of the second Civil War. So, in the grand scheme of things, it's fine if I have to wait until February to get a Series X. No biggie.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

[/quote]

We're in the middle of a resurgent global pandemic. America is on the verge of the second Civil War. So, in the grand scheme of things, it's fine if I have to wait until February to get a Series X. No biggie.
[/quote]

Hell with that, I want to lock myself in my house with my new system while these nutty bastards fight and give each other Covid.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

JOZ wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:54 pm
Hell with that, I want to lock myself in my house with my new system while these nutty bastards fight and give each other Covid.
Exactly. Preventative. :)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

JOZ wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:54 pm
[/quote]

[/quote]

Like your style!

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
JOZ wrote:
Just as well that we don't have lines of people right now.

However in previous launches, it was obvious that online preorders would be a smarter way to go but they wanted to show people lining up to buy their consoles.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

pk500 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:24 pm
dbdynsty25 wrote:
JOZ wrote:
This. And every game you might play on your Series X will be on XB1, too.

I think there is still a significant number of gamers that don’t understand that consoles really are like phones now. My wife has an iPhone X, I have an XR. I had a 6 before this, and my wife had a 7.

Buy a console the same way you buy a phone now. When you need one, get one. But you will probably skip some releases. It’s okay because regardless of which phone we have, my wife and I still share all the same apps.

When I get a Series X, I’ll send my One X to my daughter, and we can still play games together.

I have no idea, other than they exist right now, why gamers are so anxious for the new consoles that they are getting stressed out months before release, for what? It’s the same games.

And if there is a hint of stress over PS5 or the Series X, then you should really wait. Within a month or two, the decision will be pretty easy. Why commit right now, before you can see it for yourself?
Last edited by Aristo on Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Good points, I was just hoping I could just stop somewhere on the 10th and pick it up. Not a big deal if I can't as there is nothing I am interested in as far launch titles. I would be playing the same games I am now.

Weird to me there is no good information on this so close to launch. A strange launch for sure.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Here's the little secret about the Series X/S: The launch lineup blows. What are the killer exclusives at launch? Nada.

That said, I still want one. I would love to get one at launch. But the lack of a killer game upon launch will make the inevitable wait that much easier.

I have loved the Microsoft Xbox ecosystem for nearly 20 years. Have zero interest in Sony's products. But MS is selling us a bag of bullsh*t RIGHT NOW with the Series X/S. Many of us are harder than Chinese arithmetic and more than willing to shell out $500 for the prospect at launch of ... faster load times and slightly prettier graphics.

I'm guilty, too. But we won't see the true technical leap for the Series X/S for a while, probably sometime midway or toward the end of 2021.

In some regards, I almost wish Microsoft followed the same mojo that it did for previous consoles, with no backward compatibility at launch. Having games that only played on the new systems -- taking advantage of all that extra horsepower -- would have been really cool. I also understand that may have limited sales due to a smaller compatible launch library. But it sure would have been a hell of a lot cooler technically.

It almost feels like the new systems are keeping one hand tied behind their respective backs because developers are coding games to work for the new and existing rigs. Hey, here's your new Ferrari -- you can only drive 10 mph faster than a Ford Fusion in it. How would customers of the Prancing Horse respond to that?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I still have little interest in any of the new consoles. PK, if Microsoft wasn't pushing BC or Game Pass there will be even less reason to buy an upgrade. There's no compelling to buy a Series X at this point.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

This weekend, I received the media remote and an extra PS5 controller by mail.

The media remote I guess is decent. Feels a little cheap tbh, but with the batteries in it, it has a little more heft to it. For $20, it's not too bad of a deal.

Love the new size of the controller. Having big hands, it feels much nicer than the PS4 controller. I'm not sure how I like the overall button placement. It doesn't seem as ergonomically friendly as the Xbox controller. The bumper buttons are a bit of a concern as well with regards to the positioning. Hopefully, this just takes some getting used to.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

pk500 wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:22 pm
Here's the little secret about the Series X/S: The launch lineup blows. What are the killer exclusives at launch? Nada.
I would say both launch lineups suck which is why I don't care that much although one of my XB1X just died.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation