PES 2013 vs. FIFA 13

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: PES 2013 vs. FIFA 13

Post by seanmac31 »

I think the initial post summarize the two games almost perfectly. I've spent more time with the PES demo and enjoyed it, but in the end, I'm going with FIFA for now. I play primarily online, which removes the problem of the stale attacking AI, while leaving the sublime game engine. I will keep an eye out for PES once some used copies start going up for sale, though.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

seanmac31 wrote:I think the initial post summarize the two games almost perfectly. I've spent more time with the PES demo and enjoyed it, but in the end, I'm going with FIFA for now. I play primarily online, which removes the problem of the stale attacking AI, while leaving the sublime game engine. I will keep an eye out for PES once some used copies start going up for sale, though.
Yep, online Fifa plays sublime and personally I am already busy looking for deals and building up my teams on FUT. Just an addicting mode like hell for me. Fifa takes my time over PES 4 to 1.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I'm feeling some serious buyers regret with PES and no FIFA. I spaced on this, and missed the ST preview of FIFA and forgot about my PES pre-order.

Decisions decisions.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Naples39 wrote:I'm feeling some serious buyers regret with PES and no FIFA. I spaced on this, and missed the ST preview of FIFA and forgot about my PES pre-order.

Decisions decisions.
It's a 60 dollar game not a $20k car. LOL...you must have zero worries in the world if this is SERIOUS buyers remorse. :)

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Well, in the end I decided to go with Fifa 13. There are just too many little things (better physics, animations, presentation, commentary, addictive training games, no worry about option files, improved gameplay from Fifa 12, great head to head play, Match Day, etc). It just feels more like a complete package. If I was a hardcore soccer fan, I'd want PES 2013 or most likely, both games. Very excited about my purchase and looking forward to checking out the much hyped career mode!

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Naples39 wrote:I'm feeling some serious buyers regret with PES and no FIFA. I spaced on this, and missed the ST preview of FIFA and forgot about my PES pre-order.

Decisions decisions.
It's a 60 dollar game not a $20k car. LOL...you must have zero worries in the world if this is SERIOUS buyers remorse. :)
Between this remorse (which will cost me $14 if I trade in to best buy at 2x value after a $50 purchase from amazon), and not bagging your copy of Borderlands 2 for $40, it's been a really terrible day... :)
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Wow...blown away by Fifa 13, granted I had the 3 day early release but I only played friendly's with the early release. Tonight I got into career mode, started with Coventry City and then was loaned out to Doncaster. I can't believe how well done the career mode is, it's been a long time since I bought a Fifa game but the career mode presentation is just so well done. The game looks amazing, plays fantastic and most importantly I haven't wanted to turn it off yet. I personally made the right choice going with Fifa over PES this year...it's just everything I want and could possibly need in a soccer game. I also scored a goal tonight and just for a couple of seconds it gave me the same feeling that I used to get when scoring in PES. Great stuff, this has to be EA's best stuff. I love NHL 13 but this is just light years deeper. Fifa has definitely come a long way since I last owned it.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Picked up PES 2013 at lunch, so now I have both games. I've been playing Fifa offline over the last couple days and have quickly become soured on how the CPU attacks. As it's been stated, there isn't much difference between teams. Plus, the lack of help defense was irritating the crap out of me. I'm keeping Fifa because I still enjoy playing it online and against my son, not to mention he enjoys the game. Also, I want to try out the career mode.

Most of my gaming though will be offline (gaming solo) so I think PES 2013 will fit my needs very nicely. Played more of the demo last night and I couldn't get over the amount of variety and "anything can happen" moments.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

sportdan30 wrote:Picked up PES 2013 at lunch, so now I have both games. I've been playing Fifa offline over the last couple days and have quickly become soured on how the CPU attacks. As it's been stated, there isn't much difference between teams. Plus, the lack of help defense was irritating the crap out of me. I'm keeping Fifa because I still enjoy playing it online and against my son, not to mention he enjoys the game. Also, I want to try out the career mode.

Most of my gaming though will be offline (gaming solo) so I think PES 2013 will fit my needs very nicely. Played more of the demo last night and I couldn't get over the amount of variety and "anything can happen" moments.
Amen. I think FIFA is an incredible package (hey-ho!) but I played all 6 of this week's featured matches (games from real-life that they re-create for you to play - like Liverpool vs. Man U that I mentioned before) and pretty much all the games against the CPU play the same. The worst of offender was when I played some Saudi match between Al-Ahi and some other team and all those players are just as good as controlling the ball and passing it around as playing with EPL or Serie A teams. It's fun but it gets very samey - compare that to PES where you can really tell the difference when you're playing with/against crap and mediocre teams. That's why I love playing the Copa Libertadores- the majority of the teams are really mediocre with a few standout players. In FIFA everyone on that Saudi team I played as was amazing.

That said, on-line is a different story - playing for DSP Town last night with the fellas (Fabio Varak, MactepSporta, HOGZ-Any-Aneurysm and Jimmy Borini) was a blast.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Ok damn it thats enough! Im putting the controller down and putting my boots back on coming over to each of your houses and going Shelvey on you lot, dont need a first touch for that!!
:lol: :lol: to be honest i didnt think Borini was that bad give him a break. :mrgreen:

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

[quote="Macca00]Amen. I think FIFA is an incredible package (hey-ho!) but I played all 6 of this week's featured matches (games from real-life that they re-create for you to play - like Liverpool vs. Man U that I mentioned before) and pretty much all the games against the CPU play the same. The worst of offender was when I played some Saudi match between Al-Ahi and some other team and all those players are just as good as controlling the ball and passing it around as playing with EPL or Serie A teams. It's fun but it gets very samey - compare that to PES where you can really tell the difference when you're playing with/against crap and mediocre teams. That's why I love playing the Copa Libertadores- the majority of the teams are really mediocre with a few standout players. In FIFA everyone on that Saudi team I played as was amazing.

That said, on-line is a different story - playing for DSP Town last night with the fellas (Fabio Varak, MactepSporta, HOGZ-Any-Aneurysm and Jimmy Borini) was a blast.[/quote]

I just love the personality in PES - and the ML experience is still great fun even after all these years. Watching the pluck of my recently promoted youth team keeper as he keeps bailing out the pylon I currently have playing center back. I think in any other sports game I'd be really bothered that the real league structures aren't mirrored - but that just never seems to matter to me in PES because I'm having so much damned fun.

I fired up FIFA 13 and though the quality is undeniable there's just a feeling of 'meh' playing it.

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Yeah, I'm still on the fence as I await some trade in money on Amazon.

I just think it's time to give PES it's due for once as I've had FIFA for the last few years.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Macca00 wrote: That said, on-line is a different story - playing for DSP Town last night with the fellas (Fabio Varak, MactepSporta, HOGZ-Any-Aneurysm and Jimmy Borini) was a blast.
Wait, wasn't I there? I knew it! I WAS invisible out there in the middle of the pitch. :evil: :)

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Thanks for all the varied impressions, guys. I skipped soccer games for a couple of years, and wanted to jump back in this year. FIFA was tempting, but since I'm largely offline solo, PES seems to be the way to go.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

sportdan30 wrote:Picked up PES 2013 at lunch, so now I have both games. I've been playing Fifa offline over the last couple days and have quickly become soured on how the CPU attacks. As it's been stated, there isn't much difference between teams. Plus, the lack of help defense was irritating the crap out of me. I'm keeping Fifa because I still enjoy playing it online and against my son, not to mention he enjoys the game. Also, I want to try out the career mode.

Dan,

Did you mess with the slider settings? FIFA is a totally different game once it's tuned. I got some slider sets from OS...game plays much better than default settings. You should definitely tune it.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

tjung0831 wrote:

Dan,

Did you mess with the slider settings? FIFA is a totally different game once it's tuned. I got some slider sets from OS...game plays much better than default settings. You should definitely tune it.
I've only used Oriens sliders up to this point. Of course, I'm only playing on Pro. Which set have you been using?

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

sportdan30 wrote:
tjung0831 wrote:

Dan,

I've only used Oriens sliders up to this point. Of course, I'm only playing on Pro. Which set have you been using?
I'm using his as a base but then changing some other options more to my liking, like game speed set to normal instead of slow. Using his as a base though, I thought the defense was very tough, especially the back line. I play on Pro as well.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Definitely in agreeance about the defense being a bit too tough and aggressive. I had increased speed and acceleration and decreased marking quite a bit. It's not that it's not an enjoyable game. It just doesn't have that that same CPU offense variety that I enjoyed in the PES 2013 demo. Gonna still fiddle with some of the sliders and see if I can find a nice balance.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Since I play almost exclusively offline I went with PES and I am giddy with what I am seeing so far. GREAT STUFF!

Jimmy, thanks for the advice!

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I am also an offline and local multiplayer player and I am also absolutely loving PES 2013. I switched to FIFA for a few years when PES seemed to jump the shark, but picked up PES last year last summer on the cheap after getting bored with FIFA and the predictable nature of gamplay offline. PES 2013 is even better.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I'm an offline player myself, guess I'll go with PES too. :)

Anyone have it on x360 and can tell me if the studdering is gone?

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

I cant stand Fifa offline this year i cant finish a game as the defense has pissed me off so much before i can get to 60 mins.
It got worse last year and worse yet again.
Gameplay is slowly going back to the old EA days . I dont see any forward motion in offline play for the better.

Effin shite.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

MizzouRah wrote:I'm an offline player myself, guess I'll go with PES too. :)

Anyone have it on x360 and can tell me if the studdering is gone?
360 with me and haven't noticed it a bit.

Another game last night and this game is sublime!!!!

Played as Portugal (my son wanted me to play as Portugal because his Uncle is stationed in the Azures :) vs. Scotland and Scotland's tactics were all long and through balls and they caught me twice. So much fun attacking and defending.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Thank you.. ahh... such a choice..

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

MizzouRah wrote:Thank you.. ahh... such a choice..
Game is indeed enjoyable, but I find the commentary and overall presentation to be bland. Fifa 13 is on another level. The crowd chants are nice, but then it's ruined by replay celebrations that stutter, although gameplay replays are smooth. Just to nit pick a little more, I dislike having to press the "start" button frequently after replays or goals scored. Immerision is further lost when you see the loading circle after scores or replays. Other than that, I really enjoy the game, but I'm not a big soccer fan that in time I think I'll grow tired/bored of the incomplete overall package.

I am finding that most of my scores come from crosses and headers. Maybe I don't have the patience, but I can't seem to generate a good scoring opportunity through the middle. It's my lack of skill that I know. The problem however is that I don't necessarily want to work that hard for a scoring chance. Maybe that's why games like NBA 2K and NHL 13 appeal to me more.

My best experience has been playing Fifa 13 against my son or a friend. I thought that the single player portion would be enough for me in PES 2013, but I find myself actually enjoying soccer games that involve head to head or online. For that matter, Fifa 13 wins hands down.

You can't go wrong with either game, but understand that you more than likely will be wishing that there was bits of pieces taken from both games to make the ultimate soccer game.