First info on Sony MLB 2006.....

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

First info on Sony MLB 2006.....

Post by snaz16 »

link at Op Sports
http://previews.operationsports.com/pre ... theshowps2

Outside of 40 man rosters and user controlled slides,it doesn't seem like much has changed. And apparently no Ps3. Hopefully the freeze up issues are fixed,and maybe some walks on occasion. May be a roster update for MVP 2005 for my major league fix next year.
I'm a sucker for baseball though,so I'll probably pick it up. :roll:

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

For my money, this has been the best baseball game on the market 2 years running now, by a pretty wide margin. I know I'm in the minority on that, but looking forward to this game on the PS2 and the PSP helps a little bit with the disappointment of getting shut out so far with the 360. Can't wait to see this series hit the PS3, whenever that may be.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

The MLB series has been very good, but it's always suffered from some big roster issues. That's the one huge gripe I've had with the series...I really like the foundation but I just think the developers are limited in terms of what they can do with their database of players.

And MVP '05 is the best baseball game ever made. LOL...

I'll have to get my MLB fix on the PSP where MVP was absolute garbage.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

GTHobbes wrote:For my money, this has been the best baseball game on the market 2 years running now, by a pretty wide margin. I know I'm in the minority on that, but looking forward to this game on the PS2 and the PSP helps a little bit with the disappointment of getting shut out so far with the 360. Can't wait to see this series hit the PS3, whenever that may be.
Must be monopoly money because it's not even close to MVP2005
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

tjung, have you done anything more than "tjung" MLB 04 or 05? If you've played more than 10 games over either of the last 2 years, fair enough...but if not, you're missing out, IMO.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Anyways, the news story posted over at OS has some additional news (not much) on both the PS2 and PSP versions for any one who's interested:

http://forums.operationsports.com/vBull ... p?t=151568

Looks like the PSP version will be online/nationwide playable, and also feature some kind of ticker/sports information feed:

"MLB’06: The Show for the PSP system suits up for the season with the all-new Career Mode for gamers to create a player and take them out to play anytime, anywhere, and a Season Mode that now offers multiple seasons. Users can choose their favorite team, play the regular season, advance to the playoffs, be crowned the World Series Champion and even create their own dynasty. With the new Historical Greats option, nostalgic fans of America’s Pastime players can go up against baseball legends. For gamers on the go, MLB’06: The Show offers multiplayer gameplay, either locally via Ad Hoc Mode or across the nation via Infrastructure Mode. Additionally, sports fanatics can utilize the new online news service to get the latest MLB news feeds online or save them to the Memory Stick Duo™ and review them offline at their convenience."

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Sorry guys but after 60-75 games with each the flaws in both keep it from the best ever category IMO although I have enjoyed both tremendously.

Ironically, I have played over 60 games the last 3 months with ASB 2005,(including 2 tonight with updated rosters as of August 05).

While its flaws don't make it the best ever either I still believe we have been severley shortchanged with all BB games and we aren't even close to having a game that we truly deserve.

For the time, I still believe VR Baseball 99 is the best ever on the console...and HH on the PC.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

That's more games than I've played of MLB, pigpen, so I can't argue with you there... different strokes I guess.

Hate to hijack the thread, but I used to really like ASB 03 and 04 I think it was...too bad they never did get rid of "the crouch" or solve the bat/ball collision detection before acclaim went out of business. I would've liked to have seen that game make it to the next generation as well. The guys that made that game seemed like they really knew the game of baseball, much like the guys who are making MLB these days.

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

I agree, last year was kind of a disappointment for baseball games for me, which are by far my favorite genre of games.

After playing a lot of MLB and enjoying all the signature batting and pitching styles, it was difficult to play MVP. I know that some may cry heresy, but it does suck a lot of the immersiveness out of a baseball video game when you see the same generic batting styles over and over again. Also wasn't a fan at all of the hitting model in MVP. Just never felt right to me.

MLB felt the most like baseball, but the game was pretty much unplayable against the CPU because of the ridiculous strike zone, and the cpus ability to nail the corners on said ridiculous strike zone repeatedly. Plus the hit and foul ball variety in MLB completely sucked when compared to MVP. MVP really shined in that department.

As for ESPN...wow, what a piece of crap. And this is coming from someone who played and enjoyed every game of a complete season in the prior year's version.

Us 360 guys better hope that 2K Sports really gets their act in gear, because it looks like it'll be the only game in town for us.

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

It looks like Sony fixed the year in their baseball game. They've always seemed to be a year ahead on the name of their baseball game compared to the others. Wasn't Sony's baseball game last year also 2006? Looks like they did a quick name change just to get back on track.
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

I forgot about the name change but I think I do remember them announcing something about that a few months ago, now that you mention it.

Pretty fair description, IMO, of the highs and lows of MLB and MVP, AJC. I agree about how hard it is to look at a generic batting stance in MVP and also agree that the variety of foul balls needs to be upped in MLB. Same thing with the strike zone..but I did read over on the OS boards where one of the developers said that was specifically addressed this year. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

As for ESPN, I gave up on that one...hopefully they can turn things around for the 360.

Pete
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Pete »

I enjoyed both baseball games last year but MLB has kept my interest as I am still playing it. I am at the end of July playing a Tigers season and hope to finish before the next edition comes out.

Here is a post I made over at OS in the '07 ('06?) wishlist :

First off, I would like to say that I have really enjoyed this game. These are some of the things that I would like to see improved.

- The strike zone needs to be reduced. Too many pitches that look like balls are called strikes. This would also lead to more walks which there are too few of. This would also lead to higher pitch counts. I tend to swing at pitches early in the count so I don't get behind because if I get 2 strikes on me the majority of the time I strike out.

- A higher variety of hits. Most balls that are hit are hit hard. You might get a chopper once every 3-4 games. There are no flares. Balls hit down the line are not always doubles because they are hit so hard.

- Which takes you into that the corner outfielders get to the ball too quickly. Grounders down the line are cut off by the outfielders before they get to the wall which would make sense if they were not hit so hard.

- Fielders arm strength. They are all the same and they all have rockets with great accuracy. This really needs to be improved.

- User controlled slides. Attempting steals is difficult because most players slide feet first right into the tag.

- Pitching is great. Don't change a thing. With a tighter strike zone it will be perfect.

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

Pete-

You pretty much nailed everything I can think of, with reduced strike zone being #1. Hopefully there's also a slider for the cpu pitcher's effectiveness of hitting the corners as well. Can't remember if there was a slider for cpu control. If there was one, it wasn't effective enough. Also, there should be a slider to control human control. I don't want the ball to go right where I want it every time. Like HH, user control should be more random and unpredictable.

Much more hit/foul variety is #2. Too many hard hit balls, not enough loopers, dribblers, etc. MVP felt like any kind of hit was possible; it seemed like in MLB there were only a few different kinds of hits.

Agree with what you said about OF arms. How about more variety in terms of throws? More offline throws, more throws that hop several times, less lasers that go exactly to the bag.

I would also add:

-wind affecting the ball

-balks

-maybe rare things like catcher or fan interference (although NOT overdone)

Other than Guitar Hero, MLB is the only reason my PS2 hasn't been traded in for some more 360 stuff. Looking very forward to the next version.

kicko
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by kicko »

Yeah i have not played MLB series but from what i hear its not bad at all and with just some tweaks it should make for a great year. I am a sucker for baseball games so i might end up with both sony and 2ksports, but i am keeping MVP installed because i know the mod gods are hard at work making an 06 version possible. What i'd would like to see in a game are sun/lighting changes, even if it cant be in real time maybe every couple of innings the sky chanes a bit, kind of like in madden. I would also love to wind effects on the ball, i mean Tony Larussa had that back in '88.

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

In terms of graphical detail like lighting effects and moving shadows, I really look forward to what 2K sports will come up with for the 360. You know it will be a sweet looking game.

I just hope they junk all the gimmick crap and put out a more streamlined game, in the vein of ESPN Major League Baseball (the one released in 2004). That was a great game, and one of the more underrated sports titles ever.

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

kicko wrote:Yeah i have not played MLB series but from what i hear its not bad at all and with just some tweaks it should make for a great year. I am a sucker for baseball games so i might end up with both sony and 2ksports, but i am keeping MVP installed because i know the mod gods are hard at work making an 06 version possible. What i'd would like to see in a game are sun/lighting changes, even if it cant be in real time maybe every couple of innings the sky chanes a bit, kind of like in madden. I would also love to wind effects on the ball, i mean Tony Larussa had that back in '88.
Amen to that. The Mvp mods are going to change a lot of things,even a "06" schedule from what I'm reading. If you have the hard drive space you should check out the "Total Classics" mod,with 120 teams from 1900's to the 2001 Diamondbacks..old stadiums..etc, really a masterpiece. Reminds me of Old Tyme Baseball a few years back. You're pretty much locked into exibition games only,but for the winter season,thats all I really need till next year.

bkrich83
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bkrich83 »

GTHobbes wrote:For my money, this has been the best baseball game on the market 2 years running now, by a pretty wide margin. I know I'm in the minority on that, but looking forward to this game on the PS2 and the PSP helps a little bit with the disappointment of getting shut out so far with the 360. Can't wait to see this series hit the PS3, whenever that may be.
Same here for me, MLB is the best baseball game, with MVP right behind it.

I've kept my PS2 for the sole purpose of playing MLB.
-BK

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Career mode on the PSP!!!!! Adding this and fixing the excessive KOs and WPs will make this mighty hard to beat by anyone on any platform, IMHO.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

AJColossal wrote:In terms of graphical detail like lighting effects and moving shadows, I really look forward to what 2K sports will come up with for the 360. You know it will be a sweet looking game.

I just hope they junk all the gimmick crap and put out a more streamlined game, in the vein of ESPN Major League Baseball (the one released in 2004). That was a great game, and one of the more underrated sports titles ever.

I agree. ESPN MLB was one of the best baseball games I've played. I really liked MLB and MVP last year but was very, very disappointed in MLB 2k. I can't wait to see it on the 360.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

More news courtesy of a Jon Robinson interview over at IGN. Man, I can't wait for this game.

http://sports.ign.com/articles/672/672768p1.html

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

If there's anyone else here who cares about this sort of thing, "Chris" is one of the makers of the game. Courtesy of the OS boards:

"Re: IGN Interview, new info/screens

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTheorenHobbes
Chris, if you're reading and able to comment, I'd love to know if we're going to get any of the walkups, replays, etc. on the psp this year. May not be possible but sure would be sweet if you could. Game looks great.

There are walkups and auto-replays in the PSP this year.

Chris"

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Say whatever you will about the MLB (Chris and Kolbe) and the NBA2k (Beluba) series, but it sure is nice to be able to interact directly with the guys who make/produce their games.

CincyKid
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by CincyKid »

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

No way...at least I hope not. Those are the same as the original Xbox pics from last years game.

CincyKid
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by CincyKid »

really i have no idea thats why i asked :?: