OT: Good site for Runners - Mapmyrun.com

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Good site for Runners - Mapmyrun.com

Post by Boom »

For you runners out there, I just stumbled across this site www.mapmyrun.com. It's an extension of google maps, and this thing is awesome.

You can map any course you want and it will give you distance. You can also add the time, your age, height, weight and it will calculate your average pace and approx. how many calories you've burned.

I always change up my runs and then have to go drive them later to get an idea of how far i just ran. This makes it much more simple and effective.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

I just use a Garmin Forerunner 201. Much easier to get distances plus it's a good training aid. Can be used all over the world (except Russia as they have laws about bring GPS devices in).

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Sounds like I can use this for my area bike rides, too, as I hate to use a cyclocomputer. I used to have one, but I spent more time worrying about distance, speed, average speed, cadence and the like to the point where the numbers were more important than the ride.

So I never replaced the computer when it got trashed in an off-road crash about 10 years ago, and it was one of the best moves I've made in my 18+ years of cycling.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

That's pretty cool. What I think is my "seven mile run" came in at 6.99 miles!

My address doesn't show up though for some reason and I've lived here for 4 years.

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

I've been playing around some more with it, mapping out some courses I've run.

I just now realized you can use the hybrid map and it shows a true satelite map instead of just a road map. It kind of merges the two, I guess.

Pretty wild stuff.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

That is pretty cool. I have 100+ courses that I have mapped out over the last 25 years. Now I will find out just how much I need to change my mileage logs.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

That's pretty cool. We should be fair though.

For those non-runners like me out there, here's a pretty good site for us.

www.krispykreme.com

:D

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

LMFAO! Rally, that gave me a chuckle.

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

That's very cool. I've been guessing on mileage since my Nike SDM pod got pounded to an early death.

My five mile loop came in at 4.94, my seven was 7.26 and my ten to the beach and back was actually 11.25. Either way, I'm still slow.

CincyKid
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by CincyKid »

very cool find

bradley has taken up cross country this year so we can map out some of our after school runs together

and he can check out some of his future race courses

as well as i can show him some of my old high school runs

thanks

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Well, I put the website to the test this morning -

Went on a medium pace run through my neighborhood, which being a "master planned" community means there's plenty of room to run. After the 0.55 mile trip from my door to the start of the loop and 2 loops of the 'hood, my GPS read 12.92 miles whereas the website shows 13.05 miles. Close enough I guess.

One nice thing about the website is that it supports international locations. While I was in Japan 2 weeks ago I was doing some mile splits and also a stab at the 5k on a local park circuit. My GPS was having difficulty due to the heavy foliage but the track was marked and supposedly 1.05 km in length. I zeroed in on the location at the website and they had the outline of the park and even the track. The track came in at 1.05 km.