Project Gotham Racing 3 Interview Questions (Xbox 360)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Steve_OS
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Project Gotham Racing 3 Interview Questions (Xbox 360)

Post by Steve_OS »

PK, Jared. If this is not allowed, feel free to remove it. I figured some of the racers would like to submit a question or 2.

--------------------------------

We are working closely together with the Project Gotham Racing 3 team. They are eager to answer any questions you may have, so please post them here. Once I gather enough questions, I'll send them to the team and post the answers as soon as I recieve them.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Besides the graphics, how else has this franchise moved forward?
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

I'm a big fan of racing "the perfect lap" and in some videos, noticed Racing Line Accuracy Kudos. How often will we see that Kudos variant.

Also, the cockpit view in PGR3 is amazing. Online, can the host set up a race where everyone is required to race using the cockpit view?

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

What's there to ask? We all know what to expect from this game: no damage, fancy vids, decent-to-good made-up circuits, uninspired AI, but all in a well put together package of different goal-oriented game modes, and likely the best integration of XBL leaderboards/freinds list stats/ downloadable replays etc. to date.

Here's a question I know won't be answered: why the decision to go with only the supercars? Many of us really enjoy the highly competitive racing of the slower cars, as those cars tend to even out the differences of skill levels/practice time. Yet this new game has only the super cars. Was this decision made solely due to short development time, or was there a more reasoned, philosophical justification?

Or another: clearly, the new element in PGR2 with the greatest impact was the inclusion of the Nurburgring Nordschleife. That inclusion had so much impact, in fact, that Forza and the upcoming ToCA3 include the majestic circuit (and maybe the latest Gran Tourismo as well?). Can we expect any more such grand, long (10+miles) circuits of the past to be included in this game? (I know the answer is no, but I think it's fair to ask). This gamer would love to see the forgotten, long versions of such famous and important circuits as Spa Francorchamps, Hockenheim and others. Any chance we will see scuh things in the future, or is the only real and/or historical circuit in the PGR series to remain the Nordschleife?

The thing is, this is essentially the 4th iteration of this same game. Yes, PGR2 was the ultimate articulation of that game, but it is essentially the same game as the original Dreamcast version (name escapes me). We expect forgiving, arcade-style physics, decent invented track design, detailed car models, and no damage. We also expect very good XBL inplementation, setting the standard for future 360 games. Plus the bizarre 'kudos' thing which I tend to ignore, even though I'm sure they would claim it to be the main thing that sets their game apart from other arcade racers. What could be new besides the graphics, as Scoop says?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Is there any sort of penalty for online cheese, mainly unneccessary ramming and reckless driving?

Since PGR 2 had only a visual damage model, rough driving tactics became rampant when playing PGR 2 online with strangers. What will be done to penalize that?

And to echo Zeppo, why just the supercars? That will make the cheese even worse online, as many inexperienced racers won't be able to control a powerful car and will just play bumper cars en route to the front.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Steve_OS
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Steve_OS »

Hey guys, we just posted the interview.

http://features.operationsports.com/fea ... 3interview

Thanks for the questions!

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

You can set the game to force cockpit mode online 8O

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Nice job Steve and OS! Very nice to see you implement our (DSP) questions. Thanks for the work and info!!!
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

TCrouch wrote:You can set the game to force cockpit mode online 8O

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!
LOL, because your various Live racing rankings are always held back by your constant last place finishes to those out of car cam guys, right Terry?

:lol:

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Nice feature, Steve. Thanks for using my questions! I was happy to note that at least the first one, the one about the lower-classed cars, was answered, at least somewhat. Seems we represent the 10% who don't like to just jump right into the most powerful cars and bang around the guardrails.

I'm glad you sent the question about the real and historical circuits, though I wished I had asked it in a better way, a way that wouldn't allow them to miss the point. I don't care too much about long vs. short courses, I am more interested in real racing circuits. Not invented racing circuits in real places, but real circuits. PGR/MSR has never been about 'real.'

Most illuminating, prehaps, was the response to the damage question. Seems they don't want to 'punish' people for doing damage to their cars! Bad enough you should crash, why should you be punished further? This befits the 3-lap sprint racing that dominates console racers. I feel like what they said makes sense for the type of game PGR is: sprinting, using other cars as guardrails to help you turn (something in there about 'officially' making that part of the gameplay), and being wowed over graphics.

I'm not complaining; PGR is what it is, an arcade racer. No doubt, it will be a great game to show off the 360. Whenever the game comes out. . . .

I sure hope TocCA3 is back-compat on release. No escuse for it not to be, really, since it will come out well after the 360 is in stores.