Gamespot NHL 2006 preview

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Gamespot NHL 2006 preview

Post by LAking »

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/sports/nhl ... 060905.asx

Looks terrible. It's as if they decided they would no longer even TRY to make it a simulation. Just about every addition is about dekes and rediculous amounts of offense. Just check out the gameplay videos and TRY and spot one instance realistic AI behavior, i dare you. The only addition that looks like a remotely good idea is the target that tells you where you are aiming at the net, as long as it can be turned off for those who dislike it. Other than that the game looks like complete garbage. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume the footage was on an easy difficulty level, but i'm not holding my breath either.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

Bill_Abner
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Bill_Abner »

"Now for the surprise you've been waiting for. Careful readers may be able to guess what it is, as it was hinted to earlier in the article. If not here it is: the PS2 version of NHL 06 will include a fully playable version of the old Sega Genesis classic NHL 94."

That was the surprise I was waiting for?

"According to NHL producers, 06's artificially intelligent opponents have received a boost this time around. "

This has been the case since 1995. By now the NHL series should be able to pilot astronauts to Mars while beating Deep Blue with one processor.
No High Scores:
http://www.nohighscores.com/

ubrakto
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by ubrakto »

Frankly, I'd rather play NHL '94 (or '95) than any of the recent versions. I never had more fun with EA hockey than I did during the Genesis days.
"Realism" be damned, I want to play as the Hartford Whalers again! ;)

"Breakfast schmeckfast. Look at the score, for god's sake. It's only the second period and I'm already up 12-2 (or something). Breakfasts come and go, Renee. But Harford? The Whale? They only beat Vancouver once, twice in a lifetime." ---Mallrats

But of course it's only going to be included on the PS2 version so even if I were willing to pay $50 to get it, as an Xbox user I'd still be out of luck. Gee, what a deal.
---Todd

Gman33
Mario Mendoza

Post by Gman33 »

That's a shame if that's the direction EA is going. I recently rebought NHL 2004 at EB for $7.99 and can't get enough of it. I still have my Genesis copy of NHL '94 in mint condition so there is no need to purchase the PS2 version of 2006. I wonder why the Xbox owners get screwed out of the "extra" content. The 2K series destroys EA anyways.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I'll wait and see about the game. I'm not putting too much stock in the videos because it's not so much that the defense was stupid as it was slow and extremely unaggressive, so it probably was super easy difficulty. ESPN looks just like that on easy difficulty for whatever it's worth.

As far as NHL 94 is concerned, what took EA so long? They had this feature in madden years ago. I am a huge NHL 94 fan, and would rather play that with a friend than any other hockey game, period. I don't know if they plan to put it online, but online NHL 94 would be fantastic IMO.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

After playing EHM 2005 this week (thanks gogamer!), I don't think I'll ever buy another hockey game again.

EHM is my new favorite game.

Todd

skidmark
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by skidmark »

NHL 94 with some upgraded graphics and an online mode would smoke anything EA has put out in hockey for the last 10 years. That game rocked, especially multiplayer.

Bought time the figured out their retro strength with this series too... When they had the chance to port an older title for the GB Advance, they chose the awful NHL96 rather than NHL 94.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

"Watch this Mikey, I'm going to make little Wayne's head bleed."

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:"Watch this Mikey, I'm going to make little Wayne's head bleed."
That would actually be NHLPA 93 which was the year the series didn't have the actual NHL license and EA was able to put blood into the game. The NHL made EA take the blood out in the 94 version.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

If my memory serves, '93 was actually my favorite NHL game. I know '94 gets all the hype, but for my money, I'd rather play some '93.

Either way, I think it's incredibly sad that we've got to remember back 12 or 13 years for a good EA hockey game. How do you go a whole decade without putting out a quality product, let alone an innovative one? I know it's just one man's opinion, but there's really no excuse for that.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I thought NHL 2004 was a damn good game, just as good as ESPN NHL 2K4. But other than that, the EA NHL series has been just as much of a running joke as the FIFA series.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

NHL 2001 w/ abner's slider was the best!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Between the gameplay of NHL Hitz, the realism of NHL 2K series and the graphics by the people of EA and you got a great Hockey game. Is it that hard developers?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I could play ESPN NHL 2K5 with Grog's All-Star sliders arguably forever. I put more time in with that game last fall and winter than perhaps any game in recent memory. I was playing three or four games per day at one point, in a season and just random exhibitions.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

As much as you like hockey, I'm surprised that game isn't in your rotation now.

Without a season I don't think we are going to see much innovation in these games.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

JRod wrote:As much as you like hockey, I'm surprised that game isn't in your rotation now.
Nothing is in my rotation now. I've turned on my Xbox twice since May 30, playing for about a total of three hours on XBL. That's it.

Take care,
PK

Pete
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Pete »

The strike just killed my interest in NHL 2K5. I started a season with the Leafs , got about 30 games in and just stopped playing. It is definitely a great game and I see me playing it again when September rolls around,I just hope we have some real hockey to watch this year.

Red Wings hockey is so big here in Michigan, there was a huge hole in our winter last year.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

In order to bring back the interest in fans, I believe the penalty shootout will be a stay during regular season to decide OT and during playoffs, let the teams play it all out until somebody scores. Talks are still ongoing on both sides, I think PK mentioned something about a team being on a whole PP even though someone scores, how about during a particular dump out by a team, to disallow the line changes ,to keep the game flowing, therefore the tired team is subject to more errors. I still think they will get rid of the red line this time. We shall find out beginning of July (that's the time everyone thinks a new CBA will be ironed out).

ubrakto
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by ubrakto »

dbdynsty25 wrote:"Watch this Mikey, I'm going to make little Wayne's head bleed."
"It's not so much me as it is Roenick. He's good."