The best rock documentary I've seen

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

The best rock documentary I've seen

Post by pk500 »

Boys:

Watched "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart" last night, the documentary about the ordeal that Wilco went through to get "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" recorded and released by a record label.

I don't want to give away much of the story to those who haven't seen the film and are interested, but it's the best movie I've ever seen about the sometimes torturous process that talented bands go through to make incredible music, which is certainly the case with Wilco and "YHF."

The entire film is shot in 16mm black and white, which gives it even more of a gritty feel.

Just a f*cking great movie. I LOVE Wilco, so of course I'm biased, but this is a really compelling, interesting movie for anyone who's a rock music fan.

Highly recommended.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I believe the proper term is "rockumentary" and thanks for the tip. :wink:
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

You love Wilco enough said. I tried to listen to some of their tracks through the pirate and was not impressed.

To each their own...
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Thanks for the tip Paul. I have been dying to to see this. Sounds like it does not disappoint, especially if you are a Wilco fan. Now to find it.

Jayhawker
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Jayhawker »

I saw "I Am Trying to break Your Heart" last year at the theater. Great movie.

For an even better look at the clash of indie music and major labels, you should check out "Dig!". Just a great story of two bands, and two paths.

http://www.digthemovie.com/DIGTRAILER.MOV

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

DChaps wrote:Thanks for the tip Paul. I have been dying to to see this. Sounds like it does not disappoint, especially if you are a Wilco fan. Now to find it.
Don:

I saw it on the Trio Network, which is carried by my digital cable system. It's on that network probably once per month.

Otherwise, it's on DVD. But I'm not sure what chain would carry it, as it's definitely more of an "art film" than a mega-blockbuster.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Thanks for the tip on "Dig," Jayhawker.

Take care,
PK

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Glad you enjoyed it, PK, it's a pretty interesting movie. Funny how a story with a happy ending can still be sad.

My favorite rockumentary of all time remains The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years. Funny, sad, and riveting, especially now in light of seeing who made it and who didn't.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I rate "Sid and Nancy" highly, too, even if it's a movie and not a documentary. Still one of the saddest, most depressing films I've ever seen, though, so watch it only if you can handle a big downer or are a Sex Pistols' fan. I'm the latter ...

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Brando70 wrote:Glad you enjoyed it, PK, it's a pretty interesting movie. Funny how a story with a happy ending can still be sad.
True. And after watching that movie, I can see why Jeff Tweedy needed rehab for an addiction to painkillers a year or two later.

Tweedy is a fascinating character. A bundle of contradictions. Painfully shy around strangers but can be a pretty charismatic front man on stage. A loner figure but seems to be a doting father to his kids and solid husband to his wife. Capable of writing beautiful melodies with an opening lyric of "I dreamed about killing you again last night, and it felt all right to me" in "Via Chicago."

Tweedy is clean now, and I read a story dated earlier this year in which he quit smoking. That may have been the hardest addiction for him to break, as he and Jay Bennett hardly ever are seen without a cigarette in "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart."

Take care,
PK

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

pk500 wrote:...and Jay Bennett hardly ever are seen without a cigarette in "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart."
I miss Jay Bennett :(

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

pk500 wrote:I rate "Sid and Nancy" highly, too, even if it's a movie and not a documentary. Still one of the saddest, most depressing films I've ever seen, though, so watch it only if you can handle a big downer or are a Sex Pistols' fan. I'm the latter ...
By the end of that movie, I wanted to kill her....Great performance by Gary Oldman, though.

Speaking of Tweedy, I saw Jay Farrar perform at a bar in Iowa last year. He was good, but it was a bit sad. Here he was, performing in the kind of place Uncle Tupelo would have played in their early years. The whole show was only solo material, and he played one Son Volt and one UT song in the encore.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

pk500 wrote:I rate "Sid and Nancy" highly, too, even if it's a movie and not a documentary. Still one of the saddest, most depressing films I've ever seen, though, so watch it only if you can handle a big downer or are a Sex Pistols' fan. I'm the latter ...

Take care,
PK
Probably the best film of this type that I've seen, and on this subject too, is 'The Filth and The Fury', made by Julian Temple in the early 90s. A much more considered look back at the Pistols/Punk scene, with interviews with Lydon, Matlock et al (but no Malcolm McLaren, surprise surprise).
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Leebo33 wrote:
pk500 wrote:...and Jay Bennett hardly ever are seen without a cigarette in "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart."
I miss Jay Bennett :(
I think you've touched upon one of the differences between the evolution of Wilco and U2 as rock bands.

U2 has had the same lineup since its inception in Dublin in 1976 yet still evolved its sound. Wilco has had seemingly umpteen lineup changes since it formed in the ashes of Uncle Tupelo in 1994, and that has played an important role in the evolution of its sound. Bassist John Stirratt is the only other original member of the band still playing with Wilco, so you've had a lot of different musical ideas running in and out of the studio and loft the last 11 years with Wilco.

Still, the one central, constant force of Wilco has been Jeff Tweedy, and his desire to experiment also has played a big role in the evolution of the band's sound, in my opinion.

Take care,
PK

Jayhawker
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Jayhawker »

pk500 wrote:
DChaps wrote:Thanks for the tip Paul. I have been dying to to see this. Sounds like it does not disappoint, especially if you are a Wilco fan. Now to find it.
Don:

I saw it on the Trio Network, which is carried by my digital cable system. It's on that network probably once per month.
Man, I miss Trio. DirecTV dropped it a year ago. I caught a great documentary on the late great Bill Hicks hosted by Janeane Garofalo, as well as one on Lenny Bruce. The only downside was that it was censored. How can you do a movie called the The Censoring of Bill Hicks, and then censor it?

But Trio did a good job as serving as a Sundance and IFC Lite. Cool cult films, and decent music stuff. I always checked out Trio for things to Tivo, even though I hate Tivo-ing movies that are shown with commercials and are censored.

I can't remember if it was Trio or Bravo, but one of them aired Reservoir Dogs censored. That was actually entertaining just to hear the different ways they would dub over the word f***. I think the movie blows Scarface away when it comes to that word.

Speaking of which, IFC is currently doing Pulp Indie Month, and is showing Reservoir Dogs several times, as well as a half hour special on it. Then they are doing another Pulp Indie Film every night. Lots of good stuff.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Brando70 wrote:By the end of that movie, I wanted to kill her....Great performance by Gary Oldman, though.
Small world story: A good friend of my parents here in Syracuse is the mother of Chloe Webb, who played Nancy in "Sid and Nancy." I once chatted about the movie with Delores, Chloe Webb's mother. It was pretty interesting.
Brando70 wrote:Speaking of Tweedy, I saw Jay Farrar perform at a bar in Iowa last year. He was good, but it was a bit sad. Here he was, performing in the kind of place Uncle Tupelo would have played in their early years. The whole show was only solo material, and he played one Son Volt and one UT song in the encore.
Man, did Son Volt fall off the radar screen, or what? Son Volt was THE critical darling of the alt-country scene after Uncle Tupelo broke up, getting even more acclaim than Wilco. "Trace," the band's debut from 1995, is an amazing record.

Problem is, the follow-up albums, "Straightaways" and "Wide Swing Tremolo," sounded a hell of a lot like "Trace." I see on allmusic.com that Son Volt has a new release due in July. I'll have to check it out, as "Trace" still is one of my favorite records of the 1990s.

Take care,
PK

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

pk500 wrote:Man, did Son Volt fall off the radar screen, or what? Son Volt was THE critical darling of the alt-country scene after Uncle Tupelo broke up, getting even more acclaim than Wilco. "Trace," the band's debut from 1995, is an amazing record.

Problem is, the follow-up albums, "Straightaways" and "Wide Swing Tremolo," sounded a hell of a lot like "Trace." I see on allmusic.com that Son Volt has a new release due in July. I'll have to check it out, as "Trace" still is one of my favorite records of the 1990s.
Yep, ten years ago, you would have thought Farrar was the one on his way to a storied post-Uncle Tupelo career. Trace is a phenomonal record, just packed with emotion. But you're right, the follow-ups were retreads of what he had already been doing. From what I heard at his show, Farrar's solo stuff didn't really break any new ground, either. And the new Son Volt album features all new members -- not that it matters as much since Farrar was always the driving force. It's just clear that the band name is bigger than his own.

PK, you probably have Uncle Tupelo stuff already, but if not, you should at least check out Anodyne, their last album. It's an excellent complement to Trace.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

davet010 wrote:

Take care,
PK
Probably the best film of this type that I've seen, and on this subject too, is 'The Filth and The Fury', made by Julian Temple in the early 90s. A much more considered look back at the Pistols/Punk scene, with interviews with Lydon, Matlock et al (but no Malcolm McLaren, surprise surprise).
Yeah, Filth is a really good documentary. The Clash doc Westway to the World is another favorite of mine, although it's very sad to see the Joe Strummer footage.

I believe McLaren is more of the major figure in The Great Rock and Roll Swindle, but I haven't seen that yet.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

The DVD is brilliant, with a ton of outtakes and extra goodies. Typical of Wilco in that regard.

I saw the movie three times at the Music Box, once on opening night, which was just a thoroughly Chicago experience :) I love that place.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Brando70 wrote:PK, you probably have Uncle Tupelo stuff already, but if not, you should at least check out Anodyne, their last album. It's an excellent complement to Trace.
Yep, I have a decent chunk of Uncle Tupelo. But thanks for the suggestion!

Take care,
PK

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

The Last Waltz?

Stop Making Sense?

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

One vote for "If I Should Fall From Grace" about Shane McGowan.

Honorable mention:
"The Decline of Western Civilization"
"Gimme Shelter"
"This is Elvis"

I suppose "Spinal Tap" doesn't count

Badger_Fan
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by Badger_Fan »

What if you expanded this question to any Rock N Roll movie? I would have "Almost Famous" at the top of my list. Absolutely love that flick.
The sing-along songs'll be our scriptures.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

wco81 wrote:The Last Waltz?

Stop Making Sense?
Both excellent flicks, but they're more concert flicks than documentaries. "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart" centers around Wilco's loft, studio and tour bus more than the stage.

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Badger_Fan wrote:What if you expanded this question to any Rock N Roll movie? I would have "Almost Famous" at the top of my list. Absolutely love that flick.
Then "This Is Spinal Tap" would be my easy choice as No. 1. OK, it's a spoof, but it's about a rock band. So I guess it qualifies as a rock-n-roll movie.

Take care,
PK