Champions League Final (SPOILERS!)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Champions League Final (SPOILERS!)

Post by RobVarak »

Half time. To borrow a phrase from Bill Simmons, I think I just threw up in my mouth.

What a perfect storm of Liverpool awfulness and Milanese brilliance.

Yuck.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Badger_Fan
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by Badger_Fan »

That settles the debate about whether to let Liverpool defend their title. That whole thing was like a team in the WAC screaming about a BCS game after a 6-0 start. Way too early.
The sing-along songs'll be our scriptures.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

OK. Had a nice refreshing beverage, a brief breath of fresh spring air, and now I'm ready for the second half. 3-0? No problem. :roll:

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Reds is an appropriate nickname for Liverpool today, as it is the victim of a bloodbath.

The score easily could be 5-0 at half. Neck turned off the monitor here at our workstation and left in disgust. I flipped it back on after he left. He's one pissed dude.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Sully
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sully »

Is this really happening?!?! Amazing is all I have to say!

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

I used to follow and support Liverpool. For about 4 years now. Now I love them.

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Spectacular game...too bad its decided by penalties :x

The boys have done themselves proud whatever happens in the shootout. To come back from that deficit is absolutely amazing.

and what a save by Dudek in extra time!

Best wishes,

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

Sully
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sully »

Dudek was amazing in ET and PK's. Easily the greatest soccer match I've ever watched.

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

WWWOOOOOOOOHHHHHHOOOOO!

WOW! - Still hate penalty kicks though!!!

Can't believe what keepers can get away with now on penalty kicks. Still, time to celebrate!!!!

Best wishes,

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

O...M...G! What a match! Champions of Europe!!!

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

WTF is that thing carrying out the Cup? LOL

Sully
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sully »

Now the debate....does Liverpool deserve a spot in next year's CL?

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

I can't believe the team that I watched hack it up on so many Sunday mornings against mediocre opposition had the stone cold balls to put on a comeback like this. Man, I'm am so loving this! I think they should be in the CL next year, but I'm not exactly objective...especially today!

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Nope, no objectivity here either -LET THEM IN! :D

BTW, where the hell is Macca?? I swore I heard someone let out a joyous scream from somwhere nearby!! He might tear up half of London after this one!!!

Best wishes,

Doug

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Sully wrote:Now the debate....does Liverpool deserve a spot in next year's CL?
Of course...there is no way that UEFA can not put them in after that.

And, even better, that leaves their UEFA Cup slot open for the team finishing 8th in the Premiership....

:D

Must admit, all the commentators over here were saying after Shevchenko missed that double chance in the last minute of ET that the Scousers were bound to win it...and Serginho, Pirlo and Shevchenko all bottled their penalties.

Good on Liverpool though, they are a good side to watch, particularly when they are without that waste of carbon known as Harry Kewell.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

Atxj
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Atxj »

Sully wrote:Dudek was amazing in ET and PK's. Easily the greatest soccer match I've ever watched.
I'll second that notion, easily the best soccer game I have watched in my lifetime.
Last edited by Atxj on Wed May 25, 2005 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS YEAAAAHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE!!

Words can't express just how breathless I am after that match and how unf&ckingbelievably ecstatic I am right now!

I have spent the past 4 days at home after suffering from a horrendous bout of viral gastroenteritis on Saturday (while on call, no less) which had me in hospital requiring serious fluid recuscitation - but f*** me if I'm not going to be out tonight celebrating!

I just got off the phone with my dad and he's absolutely beside himself.

What an unbelievable night!

YNWA

PS Doug,
I owe you a pint!

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

AtXj wrote:
Sully wrote:Is this really happening?!?! Amazing is all I have to say!
I'll second that notion, easily the best soccer game I have watched in my lifetime.
So the 1999 Div 2 playoff final between City and Gillingham wasn't on live over here ?

City 2-0 down after 89 mins, then equalise and win on penalties.

The only reason we didn't leave before Horlock made it 2-1 was because we were in the middle of the row and couldn't push past the sobbing child in the next seat.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

Sully
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sully »

davet010 wrote:
AtXj wrote:
Sully wrote:Is this really happening?!?! Amazing is all I have to say!
So the 1999 Div 2 playoff final between City and Gillingham wasn't on live over here ?

City 2-0 down after 89 mins, then equalise and win on penalties.

The only reason we didn't leave before Horlock made it 2-1 was because we were in the middle of the row and couldn't push past the sobbing child in the next seat.
Other than Olympic and World Cup play, I just started following soccer this past year.

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

For the ages. Wow.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I hope this makes people forget the Bayern choke.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

I just watched it again. I still can't fooking believe it LOL

spooky157
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by spooky157 »

Red Sox coming back from down 3-0 and now Liverpool from 3-0. Unbelievable.

I still think the US beating Mexico in the 2002 WC was the best I've ever seen but this was an amazing match but I'm biased. How can Liverpool not get into the CL next year?!?!

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

It'll be on again on ESPN Classic from 10 AM to 1 PM Eastern.

Chance to set the Tivos.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Wow. I'm stunned. Funny story, though.

Went to Neck's apartment after work to watch the match. His Tivo was only set for two hours, 45 minutes, so we missed the penalties. Went to the Web to get the score, and Neck was elated. It was really cool to watch the game with a diehard Liverpool fan.

Between highlights and photos, I've seen nearly all of the PK's, including Shevchenko's on video.

What an incredble story. What a game. Not the greatest I've seen, as a game that DaveT remembers probably is the best I've seen in my seven years of following football: ManCity ralled from 3-0 down at halftime, with only 10 men, to beat I think Spurs in an FA Cup game a year or two ago.

The CL final was a great match, but the top play came in spurts. Honestly, after Liverpool poured on the pressure for the first 15 minutes of the second half, the last 30 minutes of the second half were less than compelling. The extra time also wasn't that great except for the two point-blank saves by Dudek at the death on Shevchenko.

Still, the entire package was compelling as hell, and what a comeback! Anyone who just saw the penalties missed out on the drama that built during the game. At half, Liverpool didn't just look like a team that was down 3-0: It looked like it was seeking the first flight out of Istanbul back to Merseyside.

What a comeback. Hell of a game. Incredible that a team that was so mediocre in the Premiership could turn it on when it mattered in the CL. One of the clutch teams in quite awhile, I would think.

Mourinho and Roman must be steamed. Rafa is now the toast of managers in England, and Chelsea's Premiership title and Carling Cup are forgotten by all but Chelsea supporters this morning. Fine -- f*ck 'em.

Neck was elated. I was a bit jealous. I can only imagine what it would be like for Newcastle to be kings of Europe. I can dream, I guess.

Take care,
PK
Last edited by pk500 on Thu May 26, 2005 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425