OT:Smart Phones

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Sudz wrote:love my blackberry. can't go back to a regular phone.

all the ggl aps for it make it even better.
Yeah, no doubt about it. Google maps is cool...as is Yak-on...which is the messenger program (AIM, Yahoo, ICQ, MSN). Google talk is cool too...I just don't know enough people on it to bother really.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Sudz wrote:love my blackberry. can't go back to a regular phone.

all the ggl aps for it make it even better.
Yeah, no doubt about it. Google maps is cool...as is Yak-on...which is the messenger program (AIM, Yahoo, ICQ, MSN). Google talk is cool too...I just don't know enough people on it to bother really.
any other good stuff?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

That's all I've messed with thus far...only had it for a week now. What model phone do you have? There are a lot of apps specific to model numbers. BlackBerryForums.com is legit...they've got everything there.

TheTruth
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TheTruth »

dbdynsty25 wrote:That's all I've messed with thus far...only had it for a week now. What model phone do you have? There are a lot of apps specific to model numbers. BlackBerryForums.com is legit...they've got everything there.
DB,
can Yak-on be used on a treo? I have google maps already.
[b]Xbox Live Gamertag:[/b] [color=red]HOGZ TheTruth[/color] Wii: 7256 9991 5571 9701

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TheTruth wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:That's all I've messed with thus far...only had it for a week now. What model phone do you have? There are a lot of apps specific to model numbers. BlackBerryForums.com is legit...they've got everything there.
DB,
can Yak-on be used on a treo? I have google maps already.
No, it's only a BB program. Check out Verichat or IM+...they both work on the Treo.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

8700c

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Sudz wrote:8700c
So you've got the same software/screen that I do...I'll let you know if I find anything else cool.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Sudz wrote:8700c
So you've got the same software/screen that I do...I'll let you know if I find anything else cool.
cool. thx.

tried all the game demos.

i do use the gtalk all the time.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

CNBC was saying the Breakout clone on the Blackberries has a huge following among CEO types.

How is battery life if you're always using the screen for email, surfing and games?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

wco81 wrote:CNBC was saying the Breakout clone on the Blackberries has a huge following among CEO types.

How is battery life if you're always using the screen for email, surfing and games?
With the Q, I had to charge every day, sometimes I didn't make it through the whole day if I did a lot of emailing. With the BB, I haven't gotten below 50% batter life...so it's significantly better.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Oh the beauty of being able to post from the road. Got my blackberry tethered to my computer while my girl drives. F'n awesome.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Oh the beauty of being able to post from the road. Got my blackberry tethered to my computer while my girl drives. F'n awesome.
Mobile connectivity, and still nothing interesting to say...
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Sport73 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Oh the beauty of being able to post from the road. Got my blackberry tethered to my computer while my girl drives. F'n awesome.
Mobile connectivity, and still nothing interesting to say...
Not everyone has the skills to be fascinating with a mouthful of Job's semen like yourself. That's just something we've all come to accept in this world.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Picked up the new Blackberry 8830 for Verizon today. A marked improvement over the 8703e I had for the last 4 months (a new record!). Thinner form factor, trackball, voice dial and stronger bluetooth...can't argue with that.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Quick Treo question for those who have them...I have a Treo 650 (considering upgrading to a 680) - what email program do you use with your Treo? I am looking to upgrade my data plan to unlimited (from a basic data plan) so I can get email, etc. on my Treo 650. I have the VersaMail program on my Treo but wanted to see what you guys thought was the best.

Anyone have the 680? Is it a worthwhile upgrade? I need the OS to be Palm so I'm guessing the 680 is the only option for me. Thanks for any input.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

When I was using Treos, I found SnapperMail (great name) to be the best. Only works through the Treo 650 though.

http://www.snappermail.com/wireless/ema ... 0_mail.cfm

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:When I was using Treos, I found SnapperMail (great name) to be the best. Only works through the Treo 650 though.

http://www.snappermail.com/wireless/ema ... 0_mail.cfm
Thanks DB, I'll look into it.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I also have used Chattermail and it looks like it supports the newer Treos.

http://www.chatteremail.com/

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Posting from Nokia E61i (unlocked) via wifi.

320x240 is brutal for surfing but it's workable. Jared needs to look into a mobile version of the forums now -- like AVS and Howardforums. ;)

May not be as slick as iPhone but no 2-year contract with AT&T either.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

For all that the Nokia can do, I just can't get over how f'n ugly that thing is. Ewwww.

I'll stick with my 8830.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

In a dilemma of sorts...My Palm Treo 650 has started to really act up and I'm thinking I need to update. I am looking at the Treo 680 simply because I need the Palm OS for a few Palm-Only software apps I have...although I am not totally closed to the idea of going with a Windows Mobile run device. Anyways, I have been going month to month on my contract because it ran out a few months back so I am due for the benefits of a 2yr commitment.

My question is should I go with an unlocked Treo 680? What exactly is an "unlocked" phone? I think I have an idea but wanted to be sure. Here is why I ask this. If I go with the 2yr commitment discounts I am REQUIRED to get the $39.99/month data plan for the discounts. That is pure BS. Cingular's $19.99/month Media Net Max works just fine for email and web browsing even though its not really supposed to (MediaNet is not made for Smartphones). One of my biggest reasons for wanting the Treo is because its a combo Palm Pilot/Phone. I don't really use the data too much so the $39.99 data commitment is just stupid for me. A $14.99 or $19.99 data plan is plenty for me. I don't want to be forced into a $39.99 commitment. Would an unlocked Treo be my answer?
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Unlocked is a strange way to describe a phone, especially for the uninformed.

Unlocked just means that it isn't carrier specific. Meaning, if you find an AT&T phone, you can get it unlocked, and then you can use it on T-Mobile. That is really the only advantages to unlocked phones. It also allows you to go to Europe or anywhere else they use GSM phones and you can buy a prepaid SIM card, pop it in the phone, and you can make your calls. If the phone is LOCKED, it simply means it can only be used on the carrier that it is branded for.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Unlocked is a strange way to describe a phone, especially for the uninformed.

Unlocked just means that it isn't carrier specific. Meaning, if you find an AT&T phone, you can get it unlocked, and then you can use it on T-Mobile. That is really the only advantages to unlocked phones. It also allows you to go to Europe or anywhere else they use GSM phones and you can buy a prepaid SIM card, pop it in the phone, and you can make your calls. If the phone is LOCKED, it simply means it can only be used on the carrier that it is branded for.
That is sort of what I thought. So I'm guessing i could go with one of these, pay a bit extra for the phone and not be tied down by the requirements of the carrier's discounts. I'm guessing i would just pop my sim card in. I just want the same damn plan I currently have but a new phone.

Thanks for the response DB.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Diablo25 wrote:That is sort of what I thought. So I'm guessing i could go with one of these, pay a bit extra for the phone and not be tied down by the requirements of the carrier's discounts. I'm guessing i would just pop my sim card in. I just want the same damn plan I currently have but a new phone.
That's exactly what you can do. Buy the 680 unlocked...pop in your sim card and you're good to go. No plan changes, and no contracts. You can then use your upgrade at a later date.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Unlocked phones are great for traveling. Only two destinations haven't; worked on my phone because they have their own system. Korea and Japan.