Anyone pick up Hot Shots for the PSP yet?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Anyone pick up Hot Shots for the PSP yet?

Post by GTHobbes »

I'm going to swing by Gamestop on my way home, but was wondering if anyone else has already given it a go.

ruiz00tx
Mario Mendoza

Post by ruiz00tx »

I picked it up earlier but have only been able to play 5 holes in training/practice mode so far. It reminds me exactly of the console versions. The graphics are great, one review I saw was lamenting the fact that there are only 6 courses (I haven't looked to confirm yet).

I can't wait to get home tonight and start challenging the other characters.

The training mode is pretty cool, you can re-hit shots over and over again and adjust the wind to get the hang of things again. I haven't played Hot Shots in a while so I was starting with that to get the swing mechanics down once again.

I will know a lot more about the game tomorrow.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

ruiz00tx wrote:It reminds me exactly of the console versions.
Thanks ruiz...that's really all I needed to hear. I'm sure this and MLB will be in my psp all summer.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

I picked it up today and have played only about 9 holes on the opening course. It's great! If you've played the console version and like it, this is a no brainer. It plays identically and actually looks really good. I was surprised at the graphical quality. The course environments/backgrounds are VERY impressive and give Tiger a serious run for it's money.

My only beef with it, and for some reason it REALLY bothers me, is that there are only 6 courses to play on TOTAL! Yuck! That, IMO, is unacceptable in today’s golf games. It should have at least double that. Other than that, it might actually be replacing Tiger Woods PSP for me, as good as that is in most areas, I just cannot stand Tiger’s putting and it is inevitably becoming too easy as I up my golfers stats (like all Tiger console games).

There isn't a whole lot more to say if youy are finiliar with the Hot Shots series. The only way it seems stripped down from the console version is in the availible course selection. Too bad too.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

What are the load times like and how often do they occur?
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

btmmayor
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by btmmayor »

Spooky wrote: The only way it seems stripped down from the console version is in the availible course selection. Too bad too.
I never played Hot Shots Fore but I don't remember there being many more than 6 courses on the first three console versions. I might be wrong, but I thought 6 was pretty much the standard course number for this series.

Btw, Hot Shots PSP is fantastic. There are quite a few subtle improvements they slipped in as well (uphill, downhill lie indicator and the ability to hit the circle or triangle button at impact instead of X to alter distance if you missed on your power). Plus the load times are fantastic, much more tolerable than Tiger.

btmmayor
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by btmmayor »

ScoopBrady wrote:What are the load times like and how often do they occur?
Just a few seconds between holes, right on par with the console versions. Not even close to the kind of load time on Tiger.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

I've had the Japanese version for months now (Minna no Golf). The only thing keeping me from playing it is MLB 2006. Not the most realistic golf game, but it is fun, addictive, and fairly challenging.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

ScoopBrady wrote:What are the load times like and how often do they occur?
What load times??? Seriously, there aren't any.

btmmayor
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by btmmayor »

Spooky wrote:
What load times??? Seriously, there aren't any.
I just played another round and your right. I said a few seconds between holes, but a fraction of a second would be a better description. The only kind of load time is when you head out to the first hole and that can't be any more than 10 seconds.

I just can't believe I'm playing this game on a hand-held. The visuals are fantastic and the frame rate is silky smooth. Hot Shots kicks the crap out of any other hand-held golf game in my opinion (I just couldn't get over the load times in Tiger).

reeche
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by reeche »

If only it had online :(

That being said I love Hot Shots. Never cared for cranking back an analog stick and pushing it forward like all the American golf games make me do.
http://www.whas11.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=49293&catId=49
---Lend a ***** a pencil--- Context?

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Question on the American version - how are the characters? In the Japanese version, all of the ones I've unlocked are Japanese, and the unlockable "gear" has a definite Japanese feel. I about fell down laughing when I opened up the surgical mask. About the only thing I don't like about it is the repetitive music.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

wow...you guys weren't kidding about the split second load times in Hot Shots. I don't see how anyone could put up with the load times in TW after playing this game. EA has more money than God, wonder why they can't figure out how to do a better job on the load times with their golf game.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

It doesn't have online?

Thought it did.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

wco81 wrote:It doesn't have online?

Thought it did.
It says it does on the back of the box. Going to fire this one up right now!

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Wow! Unbelieveable. Beautiful. A absolute joy to play. Those are my first impressions. TW was also enjoyable, but doesn't come close to this game IMO. I'm not a golf enthusiast so this game is golden for me. It's fast paced, it doesn't take itself too seriously, and above all it's downright addicting. I just played the back nine of some course in a matter of 15 minutes. 15 minutes! With TW, it literally took me over a half hour easily.

This was a complete impulse buy, but figured I couldn't go wrong after reading all the impressions of the import version. Then after reading some early impressions on here as well as over at gamfaqs, I jumped in my car with 15 minutes left before EB Games closed. I came home, fired this puppy up and was floored from the beginning. Love the menus, the presentation, everything.

I'm two for two in terms of purchasing games for the PSP. Lumines and now this. I just hope to hear some positive reviews on MVP whenever it finally is released.

Thanks guys for the impressions!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I have also the Japanese version and based from what I hear about TW and its long loading time it's a no brainer for any golf fan. The graphics are awesome so is the simplicity of the gameplay and don't be fooled by those greens. It ain't as easy as it seems. Regarding the six courses, you guys gotta keep on playing the challenge mode to open up new ones as well as more characters. At least that was Mina No Golf.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Can two players play a round on one PSP?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The Japanese Ver, puts U against another CPU player for the challenges too open more goodies and it has only AD HOC I think.....

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

sportdan30 wrote:Wow! Unbelieveable. Beautiful. A absolute joy to play. Those are my first impressions. TW was also enjoyable, but doesn't come close to this game IMO. I'm not a golf enthusiast so this game is golden for me. It's fast paced, it doesn't take itself too seriously, and above all it's downright addicting. I just played the back nine of some course in a matter of 15 minutes. 15 minutes! With TW, it literally took me over a half hour easily.
Yeah, this is the reason why Tiger Woods just doesn't feel right on the PSP...it's just too damn slow and you can't get in any rhythm due to the horrible load times. The last time I took one of my kids to the dentist, I was only able to get in like 5 holes before he was done. Today, I took my son and Hot Shots to the orthodontist, and was able to play an entire 18 hole round during the time he was back there. The game just feels perfect for a handheld and as soon as I played my first hole, I knew Tiger Woods was going to be a casualty because of it. After Hot Shots, I have no desire whatsoever to play Tiger again on my PSP.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Best sport game on the PSP.... so far.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

10spro wrote:it has only AD HOC I think.....
What a damn shame. They've removed something that has been in just about every golf game I can remember on any console. At least Tiger Woods has "Party Mode", although that's pretty weak (only 3 holes).

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Well, I am officially back to being a fan of the 3-click swing system. It's funny...after playing years of the analog swing system games, I thought that the 3-click was so out of date. But now, after going back, I feel that it is a better interface. Perhaps it is just because it is something different and new feeling again, but I am more immersed than with the analog swing in Tiger.

Yeah...overall, this game is more fun to me than Tiger Woods for the PSP. The interface, the gameplay, the graphics, THE LOAD TIMES (or lack there of), the quirkiness, the courses...They all combine to make a very enjoyable game, especially for a handheld. I personally was not too bothered by Tigers load times, but now that I see what can be done, Tigers load times have gone from a slight nuisance to UNNACCEPTABLE. I just cannot believe that Hot Shots is pulling off what appear to be faster load times than even a console game. Nicely done!

…oh how I wish there were just a few more courses though… :cry:

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

I'm very interested in this game, as I love the console version.

Are there tournaments in the game? or what game modes do they have?

Thanks.

Rick

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Took the day off today and have gotten a couple of games in this morning. Love this game. Anyone know what that chant (for lack of a better word) is that you hear in the background when playing the Swiss Alps course? Can't get the stupid thing out of my head now. :D