Next psp game?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Next psp game?

Post by MizzouRah »

Ok, my friend just paid me the balance for my Rams football tickets and I'm ready to head out at lunch and get another psp game.

My question? I have Lumines and MLB, what should I get next?

Tiger Woods is what I'm leaning towards, but Wipeout looks pretty neat as well as a few other games.

What next? I love the Tiger Woods series, but haven't played since 2003 on the ps2. I hear about the load times, but for golf.. I'd expect that. The gamespot video review was favorable and basically said it was better in some ways to the console version.

Thanks,

Todd

Sully
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sully »

I'd suggest TW. The load times are long, but nothing that will ruin the game.
As for the gameplay, I find it's much more difficult to hit the ball straight on the PSP version, when compared to the console version. My best score so far is 6 under. I picked up the console version of Tiger, when it released, and shot a 15 under my first round!

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Tiger Woods is extremely satisfying on the PSP. The load times are a teeny, tiny bit cumbersome, but not a game killer by any means IMO. It is super slick looking and controls great. It is Tiger though, so if you liked it before, you will love it on the PSP, if you did not like the series before, there is probably little there to change your mind.

WipeOut is very cool and extremely cool looking, however, thre racing gets pretty difficult and the tournaments get a bit long as there is no save mid-tournament feature. Even though it was very fun and cool for the first week or two, I don't think it has the longevity of some of the other PSP titles availible. If it had true 'Infrastructure' online racing, it would be a keeper, but sine it does not, the fun wears off a bit too quick for my taste.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Agreed...get Tiger. The game is badass on the PSP.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I'm having a blast with my rental of Wipeout. If you enjoy futuristic racers or recall the days of RC Pro Am, this is a very enjoyable game. Personally, I like it much better than Ridge Racer. You might want to look at Gamefly.com as they have a 10 day free trial and have plenty of PSP games in stock.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Keep in mind what's on the "coming soon" list.

ATV 4/19
Smartbomb 4/19
Fifa Soccer 4/25
NBA Street 4/25
Hot Shots Golf 5/3
Midnight Club 5/9

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:You might want to look at Gamefly.com as they have a 10 day free trial and have plenty of PSP games in stock.
Are you getting commission?

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:You might want to look at Gamefly.com as they have a 10 day free trial and have plenty of PSP games in stock.
Are you getting commission?
I wish. Could be nice part-time job. But seriously, these games cost as much as console games. Might as well be sure you're going with the most enjoyable game. Though, he won't go wrong with any of the games he's eyeing.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Thanks, I think I'll definitly get TW - they have a pre-played copy for $44.99 (still can't believe these babies cost the same as consoles) at EB.. and I'll wait for Midnight Club to come out.

I'm glad you guys confirmed my wanting of Tiger Woods.

Edit: Thanks Sportdan! I might give that trial a go.

Todd

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

Chalk up another vote for Tiger.

<< Loves him some tiger on the PSP!

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I'm going to trade in a few old Xbox games, so Tiger it is tomorrow for sure.

Todd

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Anyone going to be purchasing Fifa? With widescreen, that game could provide some serious fun. Then again, it's Fifa.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

It's next on my list Dan...even at 50 bucks. Fifa will be nice on the portable, where WE gameplay probably isn't needed. Now, if WE actually does come out for the PSP, I'll be first in line to drop Fifa.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Now all we need is a realistic tennis sim for the PSP announced and I'll be one happy dude!

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

I'll be picking up FIFA as well. I am also actually looking forward to ATV tomorrow.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

ruiz00tx
Mario Mendoza

Post by ruiz00tx »

I have Wipeout Pure and it's a lot of fun, the next on my list is either going to be Hot Shots or Fifa. Leaning toward Hot Shots.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

sportdan30 wrote:Now all we need is a realistic tennis sim for the PSP announced and I'll be one happy dude!
I know we have a long wait, but Madden 2006 should be quite a fun game on the psp, in fact, I bet sales go up pretty well around August 1st.

Todd

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I'm also getting that Logitech case db has (I hope opening and closing it isn't as bad as the review said).

Other than a some protective UMD cases and a bag to hold it all, I'm set!

Todd

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Thanks to all of you who told me to get Tiger Woods. I can't put this game down. The last version I played was 2003 for the ps2 and I'd have to say this version plays well on the psp.

This was actually the game I pictured myself traveling with. Just about everyone I showed the psp to today loves golf, so with the game in there playing the demo, of course everyone wanted to sit down and play a few holes.

I also picked up Wipeout Pure and reserved MVP. Now that MVP has been moved back, I'm not sure I should have traded MLB in... at least these 3 games I now have should keep me busy for awhile.

I lied when I said I didn't want to play MVP on both systems, MVP can't get here soon enough. :D

Todd

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Looking forward to my Gamefly rental of Tiger Woods. I sent back Ridge Racer a couple days ago and am still playing WipeOut. To me, Ridge Racer was just "eh". After playing BO3 on the Xbox, this game just feels rather stale.

I don't necessarily think WipeOut is a keeper after reading all the people complaining about the increasing difficulty and frusturation. However, it sure is fun right now and I've been playing it more than Lumines.

I'm not sure really what to expect from TW. I've read rave reviews from many people but I'm not a huge golf fan. I do enjoy video game golf so hopefully this will keep me entertained for a while.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

My screen protector arrived yesterday and I'm very happy how easy it was to put on and how clear it is.

The great thing about it is it's washable if/when it gets dirty. Definitly worth the $15 I spent. Highly recommended.

http://www.overlayplus.com/US/dis_produ ... Sony%20PSP

Todd

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

tiger woods? eh.

Post by macsomjrr »

I couldn't stand the load times on TW. The game itself is good but the load times are absolutely atrocious. If you can deal with a 20 sec wait between holes not to mention the load times for the courses the main menu etc... then get it. Otherwise I'd stick with Wipeout Pure.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: tiger woods? eh.

Post by dbdynsty25 »

macsomjrr wrote:I couldn't stand the load times on TW. The game itself is good but the load times are absolutely atrocious. If you can deal with a 20 sec wait between holes not to mention the load times for the courses the main menu etc... then get it. Otherwise I'd stick with Wipeout Pure.
Most of us think the load times are completely acceptable in TW...in fact, I definitely find the game more playable than Wipeout. Not to mention it's the best 'console' version of the game probably ever. It still can't hold a candle to the PC version, but you would be hard pressed to find a TW version on the console that can beat the PSP version.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: tiger woods? eh.

Post by GTHobbes »

macsomjrr wrote:I couldn't stand the load times on TW. The game itself is good but the load times are absolutely atrocious. If you can deal with a 20 sec wait between holes not to mention the load times for the courses the main menu etc... then get it. Otherwise I'd stick with Wipeout Pure.
I agree 100%. I'm not a huge golf fan, but probably would have kept the game if not for the lousy load times. I only held onto the game for 2 weeks or so, but it seemed like I spent more time looking at loading screens than I did actually playing the game. I've always liked the Hot Shots Golf series and will wait to see if it is any better in that regard. I can't believe that it could be any worse than TW.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

The load times don't really bother me. Maybe if it wasn't a golf game, I would care more.. but at least once a hole loads.. the game flows nicely.

Todd