Two interesting soccer reads

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Two interesting soccer reads

Post by pk500 »

Boys:

Here are two interesting reads from The Guardian, about the competitive imbalance in the Premiership and about how the Champions League is creating a gap between big and small clubs that's hurting the domestic game:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Sto ... 36,00.html

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Sto ... 61,00.html

Thoughts?

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Interesting reads PK, thanks for posting them. I'm not really a big footie-fan, but the business of sports is always an interesting read for me.

The parallels with Major League Baseball are quite apparent. It will be very interesting to watch how differently or similarly these groups handle their similar problems.

I definitely think people tire of seeing the same teams at the top, I for one am very tired of the Red Sox and Yankees, much like I'd imagine Premiership fans are tired of Man U and Arse.

I know there have always been dynasties...but the way they are built now are so different from 20 years ago, when players mostly came from within organizations instead of poaching from other teams. It is very tiring to watch teams like Man U and the Yankees always sign the best available players from other teams.

Do you guys think that a change in the system is probable for the Premiership, or will the big 5 manage to block any proposal that would take cash out of their pockets?
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Guess imbalances don't always work !!

United, for all their money, are now a mid-tier outfit. They've paid too much money for the wrong players, and Fergie is now just a drunken whiner.

The imbalances aren't really caused by the Champs League - Chelsea have got rafts of cash because of Russian (cough) money-laundering (cough), and Arsenal don't usually get far enough in the Chumps League to benefit.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

TheMightyPuck
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheMightyPuck »

The CL isn't the problem. It is the free market that is. Either create some kind of balance of payments system and salary cap system (which would be tough in a league that isn't really a league--you don't have 'franchises' per se; you can't literally buy your way in to the PL you have to play your way in) or watch the gap between the rich and poor get bigger and bigger (not a value judgement).