OT: WRC bombshell -- Peugeot, Citroen out after 2005

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: WRC bombshell -- Peugeot, Citroen out after 2005

Post by pk500 »

http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=40681&s=8

Wow -- I like to think I'm a rally junkie and keep up on rally news almost daily, but this is an announcement I never saw coming. I heard rumblings of Pug and Citroen questioning their involvement if Ford, Mitsubishi and Skoda didn't return, as two French companies against only Subaru wouldn't be very productive. But I figured Ford's return would have sealed Pug and Citroen in the series for the next few years.

Hopefully this announcement will give more impetus for Renault and Suzuki to join the WRC in 2006, as rumored. Renault has even more incentive, as it would be the only French manufacturer in the championship.

French World Champion Sebastian Loeb in a Renault? There would be worse combinations for Renault in its first season in the WRC ... :)

Still, disturbing news for my favorite form of motorsport.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Wow, amazing what a difference a week can make.

At least GM isn't involved I guess, because I'd assume they wouldn't be sticking around since they are ending their IRL and DTM programs.

Obviously the more factory teams, the better, so this stinks.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I think the FIA will need to reconsider its rule, which started this season, that allowed manufacturer teams only two cars. With only two manufacturers committed for 2006 (Subaru and Ford), having seats for only four top-shelf rally drivers isn't healthy for the sport at all.

That said, it's believed to be almost certain that either Skoda or Mitsubishi will extend its commitment past 2005, and the rumored Renault and Suzuki teams still loom.

But nothing really is certain anymore in the WRC. Not after this morning.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

This could be WRC's "Touring Car" timeframe. How long ago was it that ToCA had the mass exodus of manufacturers and had to rethink their entire series?

I don't like the 2 car rule. If it had been in place for a long time, your guy Petter may have not gotten the shot with Ford he got back in the day. A third (or fourth if they really need it in a couple years) at least gets the big teams thinking about developing drivers.

This is going to be an interesting period for all racing series, I do believe. It just takes so much damn money to run at the high levels anymore.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

Granted, I don't go on many boards, but this is definitely the only board I've ever been on where "WRC" and "bombshell" would ever be used in the same sentance. :)

Not to threadjack, but speaking of relatively obscure European sports, did anybody see the highlights of that soccer game that was played in front of an empty stadium? Because the ref got hit by something thrown out of the stands the team couldn't let any fans in their next two home games. Somehow, I don't see the NFL doing that.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Manufacturer involvement is such a blessing and a curse for any racing series.

Manufacturers bring money, technology and legitimacy, provide promotional and advertising support and buy event tickets. But manufacturers also bring a "marketing-first" mentality that makes their involvement subject to the whims of bean counters, which can make sudden withdrawal from a series a very viable option and leave a series reeling.

It's one of the strange dichotomies of racing. It's also why I prefer the BMW model in Formula 1 in which a true racing organization, Williams, still runs the team while a manufacturer, BMW, supplies engines and technical support. Even if BMW leaves, Williams remains.

Maybe the WRC could adopt a similar model in which privately owned teams run with engines and technical support from factories. That's sort of what Ford and Subaru do anyways, as M-Sport runs Ford's operation and Prodrive runs Subaru's operation. But if Ford or Subaru withdrew, it's not like either of those teams could just find another engine and bolt it in like Williams did with Supertec and Mecachrome after Renault left F1 in 1997.

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

lexbur wrote:but speaking of relatively obscure European sports,
WRC? Relatively obscure? How dare you! :)

Hey, I know it's obscure. But I love it, love it, love it. And the WRC has attracted more non-racing fan friends of mine than any other form of motorsport.

I can count at least five people I know who have no interest in racing who have seen the WRC while channel-surfing and stopped in their tracks. Even my sister-in-law said to me one night while I was watching it, "Whoa -- what is that? That's cool as hell!"

There's something about a small car that looks just like something you'd drive on the street absolutely hauling ass on public roads or trails. Everyone has driven their passenger car like that once or 400 times in their lives, so it's easy to relate.

Plus the driving skill of these guys is absolutely astonishing. Best drivers in the world, bar none. Didn't say best racers. But best drivers, no question.

Out,
PK

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

Yeah PK, I know, I'm just kidding. :)

I don't follow it, but I get sucked in to watching it once in a while too. It always amazes me how close some of the the spectators stand to the course. Yikes!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Lex:

No kidding, man! The WRC freak in me would want to be right on the roadside, feeling the rush of air as the cars whiz past. But the husband and soon-to-be father of three in me would put me up on a cliff or hillside, watching the cars with an ear-to-ear grin on my face.

Lord, what I would give for a WRC round in the U.S.!

Take care,
PK

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Hell, it's not like they are using multi-million dollar cars like Nascar and Indy...they need to sack it up and just go.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

DB:

A WRC car costs a lot more than a NASCAR car, and it's not much cheaper than an IRL car.

A WRC car costs around $500,000 due to the sophisticated electronics, transmission and engine. A NEXTEL Cup car costs less than $150,000, while an IRL car costs around $600,000-$700,000 if my memory of the current formula is correct.

Peugeot and Citroen are pulling out because both companies have experienced double-digit drops in sales this year in Europe. Kind of hard to justify spending eight figures a year on racing when employees will be getting laid off and car sales are sh*tty.

Still sucks, though.

Take care,
PK

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Oh no sh*t...I just thought they used souped up WRX STi's and crap like that....not 450 grand worth of upgrades...maybe like 50 g. Oh well...

Thanks for the heads up.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

No worries, man. Just keep watching it!

Take care,
PK