Pay up Ricky!

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Pay up Ricky!

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Talk about a costly retirement ... :lol:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/7719405

NFL News

Ricky Williams ordered to repay Dolphins

NFL.com wire reports

MIAMI (Sept. 24, 2004) -- Former Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams was ordered to repay the team more than $8.6 million for breaching his contract when he suddenly quit before training camp.

Arbitrator Richard Bloch ruled that Williams must repay $8,616,353 in bonus money under the contract he left behind when he shocked the Dolphins and their fans with his sudden retirement. The contract ran through 2007.

"We are pleased that Mr. Bloch has confirmed that Ricky Williams breached his contract with the Dolphins and is required to repay compensation," NFL senior vice president/general counsel Dennis Curran told The Associated Press.

"This decision is consistent with many other cases that have affirmed the right of NFL clubs and players to negotiate compensation based on the player's fulfillment of the contract," Curran said.

The Dolphins declined comment, saying they only talk about players on their roster.

Williams' agent, Leigh Steinberg, was out of the country, his office said. He didn't immediately return a phone message left Sept. 24.

[/url]

Arkin710
Mario Mendoza

Post by Arkin710 »

That means he has less to spend on weed. Maybe he will come back after all.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

It's too bad that when a football player files Bankrupcy that he is automatically a free agent. I have a feeling this was Ricky's plan all along.

He files, he pays a little bit back to the Dolphins, and he's free to go wherever he wants for whatever money he wants. He wasn't happy at all with his Dolphins contract and he's just pussing out.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Arkin710 wrote:That means he has less to spend on weed. Maybe he will come back after all.
Doubt Ricky is spending much on weed. He probably has his own hydroponic setup with forests of herb, along the lines of Ricky and Julian in "Trailer Park Boys."

:)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

tsunami
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by tsunami »

I was watching Inside the NFL last night and Peter King said Ricky doesn't have the money, so he will probably have to pay it based on any new earnings from another team.

If he's planning on coming back he better hope he gets a big deal because he's already in the hole for $8.5 million. And not same phony paper deal that has inflated numbers to sound bigger than it is.

I still feel it's a little vindictive on the part of the Dolphins. So, they get $8.5 million dollars back. Does that help them this season? $3.5 million was signing bonus money from his days with the Saints. If he would have retired "the right way" earlier in the season, would they really want this money back? Don't the owners sort of "breach" contracts when they cut players (even when they are injured) or force them to restructure deals?

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

Looking back on things, this whole ordeal really shines the light on why he signed his original contract his rookie season.

Heh, and to think I thought he was a class guy who wanted to "earn" his pay by signing an incentive based contract. Beh, he was just stoned out of his mind when he signed that damn thing.