Z: JV is signed, sealed and delivered ...

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Z: JV is signed, sealed and delivered ...

Post by pk500 »

... with Sauber for 2005.

A perfect match -- a middling, past-it talent with a middling team.

Yawn ...

Paffett, Liuzzi or Albers should have gotten that ride. But the Old Boys Network in F1 is hard to crack. Plus Villeneuve's name will attract publicity and sponsors.

Something tells me Michael Schumacher isn't quaking in his boots since he learned this. I bet he barely flinched. Now if Mika signed with BAR, that would get Schuey's attention.

Take care,
PK
Last edited by pk500 on Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I have to wonder if possibly moving up to the Ferrari team is a motivation to his move to Sauber? A desperate reason, if so, but you never know what Newtown is thinking.

This goes against Pete's usual signings, but like you mentioned, the extra attention will hopefully bring extra cash.

Interesting move though, hard to put them above any of the factory teams for next year outside of Ford/Jaguar. Have to figure Toyota will step up, then again, Ralfie wouldn't be my driver of choice.

Dave
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I'm surprised Sauber hasn't been more competitive this year. It supposedly has the same engine as the 2004 Ferrari this year instead of a down-spec unit from last year, and other teams moaned during this year's launch season that Sauber's chassis was a direct rip-off of Ferrari's 2003 chassis.

I guess it goes to show that you still need superb drivers and smart, efficient staff -- along with a massive budget -- to be a top team in F1. Still, I admire Peter Sauber for how he has quietly carved a nice, stable, somewhat successful niche for his team in F1.

Sometimes people forget that Sauber was one of the world's best sports car teams in the late 80s and early 90s.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I think Peter Sauber does deserve a lot of credit. His team has been pretty consistent over the past few years, which is a lot for a team that is not connected (and heavily funded) to a factory. Just look at my former favorite team, Jordan, to see how hard it is to be successful in that role. Somehow, Peter got the Ferrari connection, which is obviously a huge benefit to him.

It does surprise me at how owners that come from dominating other forms of racing perform at a relatively mediocre (at best) level. Look at Tom Walkinshaw, I thought he had to goods to do better than he did.

What's the latest scoop on the future regs for F1? I briefly caught some of it this weekend, including the possibility of V8's?

Dave
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave:

There's a big difference between Walkinshaw and Sauber: Peter Sauber is a decent, honorable person and businessman from all accounts, while my F1 contacts tell me the only difference between Walkinshaw and a convicted felon is a rap sheet and jail bars.

Walkinshaw is a VERY unscrupulous businessman whose name is beneath sh*t in the F1 paddock. No one went out of their way to help Tom since he's allegedly such a scumbag.

Take care,
PK

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

May be my faulty memory, but I'm sure I read somewhere that when Colin Chapman died in the 80's (was he Lotus ?), he wasn't far off picking up a 10yr spell at Her Majesty's pleasure for fraud.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."