Robson sacked at Newcastle

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Robson sacked at Newcastle

Post by davet010 »

Sad news

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 610042.stm

Rumours that a Mr P Kelly has been seen boarding a flight to Newcastle have been dismissed as 'utter bollocks' by repulsive Toon chairman Freddie Shepperd.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Very, very mixed emotions over this one.

Can't say as I'm surprised, considering Shepherd uttered a huge public show of no support when he said before the season that Sir Bobby's contract would not be renewed. But it almost seems Freddie was looking for a reason to sack Sir Bobby, and he got it with the slow start.

Ironically, Newcastle had an even slower start last season, and Sir Bobby never was really under threat. So it just goes to show that Freddie wanted Sir Bobby out all along.

Robson was a lame duck this season, which can't help matters. But he still has such a love, such a passion, such an immersion for the game that I believe he still gave his all to the job.

And people forget he saved the club from the brink of the Ruud Gullit-induced despair five years ago. And Sir Bobby did it with such joy, such admiration for talismanic players like Shearer and such devotion from his fellow Geordies and worldwide fans like me.

Very mixed emotions on this one. I started supporting Newcastle right around the time Sir Bobby took over. He and Shearer were like the Pied Piper to me -- I followed them right to St. James Park.

Still, I don't think Shearer is ready for management yet. Would he be a player-manager like Vialli was at Chelsea or hang up the boots right now to become manager? I don't know if he's ready for either.

Kind of ironic that Gullit was sacked a few days after leaving Shearer on the bench against Sunderland? Now Sir Bobby is sacked right after the first game he leaves a fit Shearer on the bench during his tenure.

Hint to upcoming Newcastle manager: Put Big Al in the starting 11 if you want to keep your job!

Sad day for me, sporting-wise.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

There are few people in British football with more respect than Sir Bobby.

There are many underachievers and bloated egos in that dressing room, and some of them need to take a look at themselves in the mirror, including Sir Alan. He doesn't strike me as a manager sort, and I suspect that him starting out at Newcastle would be a disaster.

Some names have been mentioned as replacements - Houllier, O'Leary, O'Neal. Latter won't go, Houllier just spends money and makes boring football, and O'Leary is overrated.

Venables has also been mentioned - biggest wanker in British football, next to The Drunken Scot. Must be one of the few managers ever to have been described in the High Court as 'fundamentally dishonest', and banned from being a company director for 10 yrs.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I'd like to see Steve Bruce on the touchline at St. James, but he just signed a five-year extension at Birmingham City.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425