Even more barcode chequebook antics

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Even more barcode chequebook antics

Post by davet010 »

Rumour has it that Real Madrid are about to splash out on a Newcastle player...Johnathon Woodgate, for an astonishing £13m.

What a great buy - he's managed about 1 game in every 3 for the last 18 months through injury, and was also lucky to escape a serious prison sentence for assault when at Leeds.

Owen, Woodgate - WTF is going on at Real ?
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Even more barcode chequebook antics

Post by pk500 »

davet010 wrote:Rumour has it that Real Madrid are about to splash out on a Newcastle player...Johnathon Woodgate, for an astonishing £13m.

What a great buy - he's managed about 1 game in every 3 for the last 18 months through injury, and was also lucky to escape a serious prison sentence for assault when at Leeds.

Owen, Woodgate - WTF is going on at Real ?
Woody is a fine central defender, but you're right, Dave: He barely has played. I say let him go, take the big transfer fee, which will give Newcastle a 4-million-pound profit, and then buy another cheaper defender who might get more than 10 appearances per year in a Newcastle shirt.

Plus, the addition of Stephen Carr on the right side of the back line is a plus for Newcastle. Robbie Elliott didn't play so poorly against 'Boro, but I'm not so daft as to suggest he's a replacement for Woody.

Still, where does Real come up with all of this cash? I still think Owen could end up being a bargain, but 13 million for a guy who is more brittle than paper mache?

Actually, Woodgate is a good fit for Real. The team is so loaded with galaticos that he might not automatically earn a spot in the side. Therefore, he can get injured as much as usual and not hurt Real. :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425