ESPN Baseball slider/settings discussion ...

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

snate
Starting 5
Starting 5

ESPN Baseball slider/settings discussion ...

Post by snate »

I figured a sperate thread from the impressions would be helpful. Please post settings preferences, slider ideas, and any other ideas for improving gameplay.

At default allstar, I felt the following things were off and needed adjustment:

CPU swinging at too many strikes
CPU not swinging at enough balls
CPU making too much contact
CPU getting too many hits

To fix this I lowered CPU contact, skill, and take balls by 10. I also raised take strikes by 10. It definitely improved but I will probably keep tweaking this.

CPU throwing a few too many strikes.

Lowered throw strikes sliders by 10. Worked like a charm. I walk about 4 times a game.

User getting to many hits
User making too much contact

I may have to go up to Legend and lower the CPU stuff above by even more. It may have been that I was beating up bad pitchers though. My last two games were against H.Ramirez and C.Vargas.

Here are the things I change from default:

low wide camera angle for batting
pitcher view for pitching.
power pitching off
pitch cursor on
batting classic
swing feedback on

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I don't know if it is related, but in my games with power pitching on, the CPU swung at a good amount of pitches outside the zone (I got many strikeouts this way) and had a realistic amount of hits.

snate
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snate »

I don't think it is related b/c my first game I actually had power pitching on an I K'd nobody.

Turning the cursor on definitely helped my K's and results.

Are you happy with your K numbers Web?

I may just suck :oops:

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I think it really all depends on what setting everyone is playing on. For instance, on "Pro" I can seemingly rack up more strikeouts than what would be deemed realistic. For example, I had 8 Ks with Matt Morris through 7 innings or so. He's not that dominant usually.

The CPU definitely swings at a lot of pitches. Then again, maybe I'm being a little too fine with hitting the corners. But I find if I work both sides of the plate....up down and side to side, I can get them flailing away most of the time. What I like is that I've been seeing a fair amount of the AI swinging outside the strike zone, but also practicing patience at times as well.

What I don't see very often is the AI taking a called third strike. Maybe once or twice a game. Then again, it might have to do how I'm pitching.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

No, I wouldn't say happy, but fooling around with the default settings before I started adjusting sliders, I started to get more K's by pitching more out of the zone and varying the pitch efforts.

I'll probably make similar slider adjustments as well, but I wanted to make sure the low K's weren't simply a case of me not using all of my pitching tools in the proper manner.

I didn't touch the sliders at all yesterday, though, so I do appreciate seeing some early experimentation.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Snate, I only played a couple of games on all-star yesterday (damn work, make time go faster!), but I do think power pitching plays a role in getting cuts outside the zone by the CPU.

I would set up a guy and, if I had a pitcher's count, they seemed more likely to take a cut outside the zone if I juiced up the pitch with the power meter. Granted, only two games, so it's not like it's a test, but I woudn't write it off just yet. I got 7 ks and 4bb with Wood in my first game, 2ks and no walks with Prior in game two (he definitely has a lot more control). I had all the aids turned off, including vibration.

I do agree that the CPU seems to swing too much at first pitch strikes, but I'm going to play some more before screwing with sliders. But I'll be interested to see what you guys come up with

snate
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snate »

Brando - I definitely think that charging up the meter will make the CPU more likely to swing at a bad pitch when using the power pitching feature. But I do not think that if you don't use the power pitching feature it will be inherently harder to K the CPU.

Bill_Abner
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Bill_Abner »

What's wrong with Morris having a game like that though? He has something like a 7K per 9 inning ratio. So 8 K's though 7 I don't think is anywhere near out of the realm of possibility. Two innings w/o a K and he's pretty much on par. And you must consider the team you are pitching against. That is overlooked far too often IMO. Some teams K more than others, it's not always on the pitcher.

Personally, I really like what ESPN has done this year. I'm drawing walks, hitting homers, striking out the CPU and walking the CPU. The play by play is the best I have ever heard in a baseball game and the focus seems to have been put on the game and not the flash. Works for me. There are some AI fielding gaffes, but so far nothing game breaking. These rosters do suck, though. Man they're ancient. I haven't touched a slider yet and I like what I see.

Played a game with the Reds vs the Seatlle Pilots...er Brewers , and I walked 3 times, struck out 7 times and walked the CPU twice and fanned 8 Brewers. Seeing the CPU pitch around Griffey in the 9th and letting him walk...I almost cried. ;)
No High Scores:
http://www.nohighscores.com/

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: ...

Post by Brando70 »

snate wrote:Brando - I definitely think that charging up the meter will make the CPU more likely to swing at a bad pitch when using the power pitching feature. But I do not think that if you don't use the power pitching feature it will be inherently harder to K the CPU.
Ah, gotcha snate, misunderstood your post.

I did take your suggestion about going with the one-swing (classic) method and like that much better.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

"What's wrong with Morris having a game like that though? He has something like a 7K per 9 inning ratio. So 8 K's though 7 I don't think is anywhere near out of the realm of possibility. Two innings w/o a K and he's pretty much on par. And you must consider the team you are pitching against. That is overlooked far too often IMO. Some teams K more than others, it's not always on the pitcher."

You make a good point Bill. I guess I'm just being a bit critical of our ace. He just doesn't seem to have that #1 starter mentality like he did a couple years ago. Nor does he fool many hitters. However, he is at the end of his contract, so maybe he'll put up some good numbers. I wasn't aware of his strikeout to 9 inning ratio.

I do agree with you that this game seemingly plays very good and realistic without touching the sliders. Maybe it's my skill level, but I've been getting competitive games playing on "pro". That said, there's definitely an array of posters in here who have a much higher skill level. Thus, I really think you need to tailor this game to how you play the game. I want to make sure I don't ruin this game by changing the sliders just to change them because they don't work for one person.

I'm in no hurry to mess with the sliders at this point. To be fair, I think I really need to play this game on default for a good dozen games at least. I do feel that a slider topic is of worthy discussion though. It's always good to compare what works and what doesn't for some.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

For those of you getting too many hits, I recommend playing on Legend difficulty with custom sliders. Fatpitcher claims that user batting difficulty is tied to the main difficulty setting and that alone. I've got batting on Legend, and then used custom sliders to move "CPU contact", "CPU batting ability" and "CPU throws strikes" down to 35 from 50. For instance, the numbers on the game I just played (I was the Marlins):

Marlins - 1 R, 7 H, 0 E
Yankees - 3 R, 7 H, 0 E

I struck out ten times, and I think I struck out CPU batters four or five times. It seemed like there was a good balance of actually being able to throw stuff by batters, but good hitters were still scary. Giambi went deep on me. In all, things seems a lot more realistic now than when I was playing All-Star default. The computer was just beating me up, no matter where I put it.

snate
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snate »

I think Slumberlad has the right idea. I did some tests at lunch. And I think I am getting pretty close to where I want to be.

Here is where I am at:

Legend

Lower CPU contact, skill, power, take balls (all) by 10
Raise CPU takes strikes (all) by 10
Raise CPU run aggressiveness by 10
Raise User Variability by 10
Lower all CPU throw strikes by 15

I had moved most of the sliders above by 25 and it was too much. I stuck out 14 and gave up only 5 hits with Trachsel. So I know there is a sweet spot somewhere in the middle.

As for hitting I was limited to 3 runs on 7 hits with many K's against Wood and Co. Legend seems the way to go for hitting.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

snate wrote:I think Slumberlad has the right idea. I did some tests at lunch. And I think I am getting pretty close to where I want to be.

Here is where I am at:

Legend

Lower CPU contact, skill, power, take balls (all) by 10
Raise CPU takes strikes (all) by 10
Raise CPU run aggressiveness by 10
Raise User Variability by 10
Lower all CPU throw strikes by 15

I had moved most of the sliders above by 25 and it was too much. I stuck out 14 and gave up only 5 hits with Trachsel. So I know there is a sweet spot somewhere in the middle.

As for hitting I was limited to 3 runs on 7 hits with many K's against Wood and Co. Legend seems the way to go for hitting.
Im using these sliders. Starting a new season.
I have struck out 6 Royals in 3 innings.
Maybe its still much? or maybe that beating I took in the Bronx has made me really good.

snate
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snate »

Grid - Some of them might be still too low. FP's post in the other thread should help. Let us know the stats and any observations at the end of your game.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I finished the game with 16 Ks.
I started a new one using FPs info..I moved the hitters sliders back to 50.

Im still getting Ks but not as easily.
I have 6 Ks thru 5 using same pitcher vs same team.

I usually hate sliders..but with Miller Lite Im having fun

snate
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snate »

Here is Fat P's post for those that missed it:
Alright, here's the deal:

Difficulty settings are part sliders, part options, and part other stuff.

An example of how difficulty uses sliders--CPU hitting is set to 25 for Rookie, 40 for Pro, 60 for All-Star, 80 for Legend (or thereabouts). These changes are invisible and not viewable on the slider screen. If you turn Custom Sliders on, then difficulty has no effect on sliders. So if you turn custom sliders on, the CPU will hit just as well on Rookie as it does on Legend. There are a handful of sliders that are normally tied to difficulty, and I'll try to get a list of these, as well as the values they are set to for each difficulty level, as a reference.

An example of an option that is tied to difficulty is the strike zone display. If you change the difficulty from Pro to All-star (pre-game), then several other options automatically change as well...in this case, the strike zone turns off. After setting the overall difficulty, you can change individual options to suit your taste without affecting anything else.

An example (the only one I can think of, actually) of something else that changes with difficulty is how hard it is to make contact with True Aim hitting. On Rookie, you don't really need to aim at all, and on Legend it's tougher. Your aim has to be more precise, and your timing has to be better as well.

Bill_Abner
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Bill_Abner »

I'd say that's a mildy important post. :)
No High Scores:
http://www.nohighscores.com/

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

I think I need a law degree to understand that post.

FatPitcher
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FatPitcher »

JRod wrote:I think I need a law degree to understand that post.
That's it, I'm suing you for libel.

snate
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snate »

There are a handful of sliders that are normally tied to difficulty, and I'll try to get a list of these, as well as the values they are set to for each difficulty level, as a reference.
Any update on this FP?

FatPitcher
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FatPitcher »

I'm too lazy to format. The number columns are: min, mean, max (all 3 are multipliers), Rookie, Pro, All-Star, Legend defaults. Not sure all these sliders are still in the game, or if there are more, but it's a start.

Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_HUMAN_HITTING_POWER, 0.85f, 1.0f, 1.05f, 100, 50, 50, 50, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iHitterPower))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_HUMAN_BRUN_SPEED, 0.85f, 1.0f, 1.15f, 50, 50, 50, 50, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iBaserunningSpeed))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_HUMAN_STEALING, 0.5f, 1.0f, 2.0f, 50, 50, 50, 50, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iStealingSuccess))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_HUMAN_THROW_SPEED_C, 0.8f, 1.0f, 1.2f, 50, 50, 50, 50, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iThrowSpeedCatcher))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_HUMAN_THROW_SPEED_IF, 0.8f, 1.0f, 1.2f, 50, 50, 50, 50, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iThrowSpeedInfield))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_HUMAN_THROW_SPEED_OF, 0.8f, 1.0f, 1.2f, 50, 50, 50, 50, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iThrowSpeedOutfield))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_HUMAN_RUN_SPEED_C, 0.85f, 1.0f, 1.15f, 50, 50, 50, 50, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iRunSpeedCatcher))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_HUMAN_RUN_SPEED_IF, 0.85f, 1.0f, 1.15f, 50, 50, 50, 50, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iRunSpeedInfield))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_HUMAN_RUN_SPEED_OF, 0.85f, 1.0f, 1.15f, 50, 50, 50, 50, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iRunSpeedOutfield))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_HUMAN_ERROR_C, 1.5f, 1.0f, 0.7f, 50, 50, 50, 50, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iErrorCatcher))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_HUMAN_ERROR_IF, 1.5f, 1.0f, 0.7f, 50, 50, 50, 50, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iErrorInfield))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_HUMAN_ERROR_OF, 1.5f, 1.0f, 0.7f, 50, 50, 50, 50, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iErrorOutfield))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_HUMAN_PITCHING_VAR, 0.0f, 0.65f, 1.00f, 50, 50, 50, 50, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iPitchingVar))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_HUMAN_PITCHING_FATIGUE, 0.50f, 1.0f, 2.0f, 50, 50, 50, 50, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iPitchingFatigue))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_CPU_BATTING_CONTACT, 0.50f, 1.0f, 2.0f, 50, 50, 50, 50, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iCPUBatContact))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_CPU_BATTING_SKILL, 0.0f, 1.0f, 3.0f, 10, 40, 65, 75, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iCPUBatSkill))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_CPU_BATTING_TAKESTRIKE_O, 0.0f, 50.0f, 100.0f, 50, 50, 50, 50, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iCPUBatTakeStrikeO))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_CPU_BATTING_TAKESTRIKE_A, 0.0f, 50.0f, 100.0f, 50, 50, 50, 50, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iCPUBatTakeStrikeA))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_CPU_BATTING_TAKESTRIKE_B, 0.0f, 50.0f, 100.0f, 50, 50, 50, 50, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iCPUBatTakeStrikeB))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_CPU_BATTING_TAKEBALL_O, 0.0f, 50.0f, 100.0f, 10, 50, 65, 75, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iCPUBatTakeBallO))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_CPU_BATTING_TAKEBALL_A, 0.0f, 50.0f, 100.0f, 10, 50, 65, 75, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iCPUBatTakeBallA))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_CPU_BATTING_TAKEBALL_B, 0.0f, 50.0f, 100.0f, 10, 50, 65, 75, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iCPUBatTakeBallB))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_CPU_HITTING_POWER, 0.85f, 1.0f, 1.05f, 10, 50, 65, 75, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iCPUHittingPower))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_CPU_RUN_AGGR, -1.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f, 50, 50, 50, 50, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iCPURunAggr))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_CPU_RUN_STEAL_2, 0.1f, 1.0f, 4.0f, 50, 50, 50, 50, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iCPURunStlTwo))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_CPU_RUN_STEAL_3, 0.1f, 1.0f, 4.0f, 50, 50, 50, 50, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iCPURunStlThree))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_CPU_HIT_RUN, 0.25f, 1.0f, 3.0f, 50, 50, 50, 50, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iCPURunHitNRun))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_CPU_SAC_BUNT, 0.50f, 1.0f, 1.50f, 50, 50, 50, 50, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iCPURunSacBunt))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_CPU_SQUEEZE, 0.50f, 1.0f, 1.50f, 50, 50, 50, 50, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iCPURunSqueeze))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_CPU_PITCH_CORNER, 0.0f, 1.0f, 1.5f, 0, 50, 65, 75, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iCPUPitchCorner))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_CPU_PITCH_CHANGESPEED, 0.5f, 1.0f, 1.5f, 10, 50, 65, 75, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iCPUPitchChangeSpeed))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_CPU_PITCH_CHANGELOC, 0.5f, 1.0f, 1.5f, 10, 50, 65, 75, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iCPUPitchChangeLoc))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_CPU_PITCH_THROW_O, 0.7f, 1.0f, 1.5f, 50, 50, 50, 50, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iCPUPitchThrowO))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_CPU_PITCH_THROW_A, 0.7f, 1.0f, 1.5f, 50, 50, 50, 50, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iCPUPitchThrowA))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_CPU_PITCH_THROW_B, 0.7f, 1.0f, 1.5f, 50, 50, 50, 50, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iCPUPitchThrowB))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_CPU_PITCH_PICKOFFS, 0.0f, 1.0f, 5.0f, 50, 50, 50, 50, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iCPUPitchPickoffs))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_CPU_PITCH_PITCHOUTS, 0.5f, 1.0f, 1.5f, 50, 50, 50, 50, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iCPUPitchPitchouts))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_CPU_CATCHING_AGGR, 0.8f, 1.0f, 1.75f, 50, 50, 50, 50, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iCPUCatchingAggr))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_CPU_THROWING_AGGR, 0.0f, 50.0f, 100.0f, 50, 50, 50, 50, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iCPUThrowingAggr))
Slider_mSpec( SLIDER_TYPE_INJURY, 0.0f, 1.0f, 100.0f, 50, 50, 50, 50, offsetof(Game_tGameplayOptions, iInjury))

snate
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snate »

Thanks FP. It took me a minute to figure it out but that is exactly what I wanted. Thanks again.

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Okay, the more I play the more I am becoming concerned about one thing - it seems too few people are scoring from second on singles. Related to this, too many shots to the corners end up as long singles. The obvious would be to turn down CPU OF arm strength, but I don't think you can. Is it just me or is anyone else seeing this?

snate
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snate »

Blub - turn up the CPU run agressiveness slider.

I am advancing just fine. Make sure you use the future run command. In other words, hold the stick down and press the x button to tell the runner on 2nd to not stop at 3rd and to score. Same idea for doubles.

btmmayor
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by btmmayor »

Very, very cool FatPitcher. Difficulty levels and slider adjustments had me baffled in last years game. Thanks a ton for taking the time to provide that info!!