Tiger Woods and Links: community

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

I don´t know how I got back on this kick but I was comparing courses from Links and Tiger just to see what´s out there. And started to come across some really neat links courses.
<BR>
<BR>Anyway, it was news to me that while the Links community has a bunch of good courses (so does Tiger) that many of the creators have started to charge for designing courses. We have sure come a long way from the early PGA Champ, Golden Bear and others where the community was there to help support the game. And for the most part TW has remained true to that.
<BR>
<BR>Now granted I think that these guys who design courses go out of their way on both sides to create a really fun experience and that should be rewarded. But I´m always against the community going from being an integral part of the game to being a pay-to-play add-on. Not only that sometimes you are paying for a course that isn´t as well done as some others.
<BR>
<BR>And if you crunch the numbers I downloaded 6 courses of TW over this weekend. At 4 bucks a pop that would have been half the price I paid for the full version with "real" designers. On top of that two of those courses I didn´t enjoy one bit. There wasn´t anything wrong with them but didn´t like the way they played. I don´t want to imagine when TW community starts pay-to-play.
<BR>
<BR>You know this probably isn´t a big deal becuase one could ask 3 bucks isn´t a big deal for a course. But I don´t know, it´s not about the money but that the idea of the community has changed.
<BR>
<BR>I´m sure there are a lot of designers on both sides that don´t have any intention of charding and those that do charge do it only in a form of compensation for all their hard work in recreating courses.
<BR>
<BR>I don´t know I just fired up over this. i don´t mind compensation but being force to pay-to-play for some of these courses, get me.
<BR>
<BR>BTW: I wanted to add, the one of the TW website asked for donations to help support the bandwidth cost. While many Links sites just charge you flat out. I like the TW community for doing this. I´m much more likely to give a few bucks over pay pal if it isn´t a requirement.
<BR>
<BR><font size=1>[ This message was edited by: JRod on 15-02-2004 15:31 ]</font><BR><BR><font size=1>[ This message was edited by: JRod on 15-02-2004 15:36 ]</font>
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Could not agree with your points more JRod. The pay for play issue has really divided the Links PC community.
<BR>
<BR>You are right though, "community" aint what it used to be...
Gamertag: DivotMaker

Xbox One X

Xbox Elite Controller

Now Playing TGC2 in True Sim style for all events

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

The PC gaming community is hurting anyway, and pay to play won´t help things.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>On 2004-02-16 05:37, kevinpars wrote:
<BR>The PC gaming community is hurting anyway, and pay to play won´t help things.
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->
<BR>
<BR>At least there IS a community...which is more than we can say for the Xbox and PS2 online situations. All you gotta do is check out the PES online communities and you know all is well.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

I couldn´t imagine the outcry if PES started to charge for the EPL patch. That would be a dark day indeed.
<BR>
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]