CMR 4 to retail for $19.99 in U.S.

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Boys:
<BR>
<BR>Codemasters announced that Colin McRae Rally 4 is coming to the U.S. in March at a retail price of $19.99.
<BR>
<BR>While that´s great for gamers, it might not be great for sales. People unfamiliar with the quality of the CMR series -- despite the mediocre CMR 3, CMR 4 is supposed to be closer to the brilliant CMR 2.0 -- will think this is a budget title because it´s a lousy game.
<BR>
<BR>The utterly brilliant World of Outlaws Sprint Cars for the PS2 debuted with a retail price of $29.99, and I can´t tell you how many forum posts I read that said "This game must suck because it´s so cheap."
<BR>
<BR>No question the Codies are moving CMR 4 to the U.S. with the low sticker price to compete with Rallisport 2, which also is released in March. The combination of the perception of a lousy budget title due to the low price and the lack of Xbox Live support could limit CMR 4 sales to only the CMR zealots like me.
<BR>
<BR>That´s a shame.
<BR>
<BR>Take care,
<BR>PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

RiverRat
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by RiverRat »

Do you know if this is for XBOX only or will this be available for PS2 as well?
<BR>
<BR>Thanks,
<BR>RR
Now Playing: NCAA Football 2004, ESPN College Hoops ... Go MIZZOU!

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I´ve seen it listed on the web for PS2 but the price is $29.99.
Gamertag: Leebo33

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Z:
<BR>
<BR>True. But you´re a smart, educated gamer.
<BR>
<BR>There are a ton of gamers -- punks and adults alike -- who equate a low initial retail price with shitware. That´s the risk the Codies run, but hopefully word of mouth and strong reviews will show people this is a good game, especially for the price.
<BR>
<BR>Take care,
<BR>PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

Wow, I might actually have to pick this one up. The ´niche price´ targeting has worked on me.
- Rob
PSN: smearobe

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

I´m very much looking foward to this game. As pk stated, codies appears to be taking this back to the CMR 2.0 roots. Ships on March 1st and IMO that date can´t come soon enough.
<BR>
<BR>

mobiggins
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mobiggins »

IGN says CM4 PS2 slated for fall 2004, if not early 2005. That would suck:
<BR>
<BR>Colin McRae Rally 4
<BR>Publisher: Codemasters
<BR>Developer: Codemasters
<BR>Genre: Racing
<BR>Release date: Fall 2004
<BR>Following the beautiful but disappointing Colin McRae Rally 3, Codemasters looks to aim the fourth in the series at fulfilling those dreams that were left empty in the third iteration. Players will race through eight countries, six special, and eight shakedown stages with realistic weather effects and challenging track layouts, and they´ll get to drive in more than just the Ford Focus while doing so. Fans of the series can look forward to an all-new championship mode, expanded single- and multiplayer races (eight different types each), as well as brand new test courses designed to let you check and adjust every element of your car to a tee. Our only worry is that it might be pushed to, gulp, 2005.
<BR>

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

That would be ridiculous if it took them that long just to port it over from PAL format, especially since it has been out in Europe for awhile now.
<BR>
<BR>EB Games at least has the Xbox version listed for 3/1/2004 with a 19.99 price tag. That sounds like a streal.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/241492.asp

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

Oh man.... I booted up CMR 3 (PC) today for kicks because of this thread. Even though they took out the ability to choose repairs, allow you to race with other cars in Championship Mode and a few other "things that make you go hmmm", I gotta tell you.
<BR>
<BR>The racing environments and course design are tops. I actually prefer the look of CMR 3 to that in RSC.
<BR>
<BR>I only raced the first two rallies (Australia and Spain), but I fell in love again. Also, I remember thinking to myself when I played this back at release that my favorite rallies were Finland, US, and Great Britain. Looking forward to racing them again.
<BR>
<BR>I´m sure the lack of options and user controlled decisions will quickly irritate the piss out of me, but for right now I am going to play thru this again just for the course design and environments.
<BR>
<BR>Top notch stuff, and it´s really making me want CMR 4 <!-- BBCode Start --><B>NOW!!!</B><!-- BBCode End --><BR><BR><font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Boom on 24-01-2004 17:34 ]</font>

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

Nice! I wanted to pick up a rally racer anyway.... and at $19.99 (at Bestbuy, it will be another $5 off), I don´t think I can refuse!
+++++++++++++++
Gamertag: The Praxis
+++++++++++++++

lessthanme
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by lessthanme »

They won me with that price. I think this will sell well at a low price. How else did ATV Fury become such a hit while being a niche title. I know I bought it for 40, but i remember the price dropping quickly. Now if only Thq would do the same for MX Unleashed... MMmmm I´m gonna be a happy man this spring. My obsession with off road racing is sickly