Xbox giving up.....RIP Future Xbox consoles

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Xbox giving up.....RIP Future Xbox consoles

Post by Lancer »

Lot of uproar in the xbox world as rumor has it MS will be allowing xbox exclusive games on PS5. Starfield would be the first one to go. Gears of War, Forza, and maybe the new Indiana Jones game too.

https://kotaku.com/indiana-jones-starfi ... 1851225324

Many saying xbox is dead. that there will be no xbox consoles after this gen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb1TMXQcNa8

if this is true it really hurts. as one of the biggest xbox supporters and xbox fanboys I would feel really sad. but reality is that asshole don mattrick ruined xbox 11 years ago and they've not really recovered. Phil Spencer has done a great job rebuilding xbox and the series consoles are excellent. But it feels so demoralizing if they just gave up.

We'll know next week for sure. Phil Spencer came out yesterday saying they've heard the feedback from the fans and they'll update the world next week.

Finally, if no more xbox consoles, this will be bad for the industry. If Sony is the only console with no competition, expect the PS6 to retail for $999.99. They will definitely price it at that price when the day comes. They'll argue that it's cheaper than a PC.
Last edited by Lancer on Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Xbox giving up.....RIP

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Not sure how putting console exclusives on other consoles is giving up, but ok. They make money on software sales, not hardware, so moving some of your huge titles to the more successful platform is a huge money maker. Time exclusivity works just as well...pretty much anyone who wanted to play a game like Starfield, has an Xbox and has played it already.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Xbox giving up.....RIP Future Xbox consoles

Post by pk500 »

This is all a bit dramatic. It's not the end of the f*cking world if Xbox moves away from exclusivity and physical hardware.

Plus, Microsoft has telegraphed this for at least two years with its move toward cloud gaming. It's all but telling people: "Play our games on your phone. Play them on your tablet. You don't need a console to enjoy the Xbox ecosystem."

Those who cling to hardware 10 years from now will look like dudes stockpiling VHS tapes in their basement. Quaint. Antiquated. Freaks.

I know it's hard to believe, but Microsoft -- which was behind in the browser wars and console wars -- is one of the most cutting-edge major tech companies in the world under Satya Nadella. It has pivoted from software to the cloud and AI and is kicking Google's ass in AI development and integration right now.

If Microsoft thinks gaming is moving toward a frictionless, non-hardware environment without exclusives, I'm willing to place my bet on it instead of Sony.

But don't worry, Lancer: The sun still will rise tomorrow, either way.
Last edited by pk500 on Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Lancer wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:47 pm
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8vf2tYD/
It must be cherry harvest time: This guy represents about .01 of the gaming population that truly gives a sh*t about exclusivity.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Watching a lot of social media on this today and it's got me depressed. Like we fought the good fight but ultimately lost.

Microsoft's reputation was known as a cut throat company but that must not be true at the xbox division.

the way you fight back is make all the IP you acquired the last 5 years EXCLUSIVE TO XBOX!

If Sony acquired Activision there is no doubt in anyone's mind they would have made COD a PS5 exclusive in a NY minute. Sony runs their videogame division like a business. MS runs Xbox like some experiment.

Want to make a big splash and put a small dent into Sony, make COD exclusive to XB. Start there! but they never will. Looks like they are happy to surrender.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Lancer wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:33 am
If Sony acquired Activision there is no doubt in anyone's mind they would have made COD a PS5 exclusive in a NY minute. Sony runs their videogame division like a business. MS runs Xbox like some experiment.
Because gaming forms the bulk of Sony's revenue these days. Sony no longer dominates TV and personal audio hardware like it did 30 and 40 years ago.

Microsoft makes most of its money from software licensing, cloud computing and AI development and implementation. Gaming is a solid revenue stream, but it's not the heart of the business.

They're completely different companies. You're comparing apples to oranges like they're identical fruit. They're not.

Your use of "we" also is odd. I'm a gamer. I'm not an Xbox gamer or a PlayStation gamer. It just so happens that Microsoft has made the machines that fit me better -- as a single-platform gamer -- for the last 20+ years. If Sony made something that fit, I would return to the PlayStation ecosystem.

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

It seems like people are blowing things out of the water. No sense in speculating until Microsoft makes their statements and press conference next week. But it sounds like people are way overboard on this. Microsoft is in 3rd place in number of consoles sold between Sony and Nintendo, so having some of their games on other systems will be a positive. As a gamer, you want some of these titles to be experienced by more people.

It sounds like Microsoft is looking at producing two more consoles in the future, one being a console that can be decked and used mobile much like the switch. I believe they are going to take their "Play Anywhere" concept and elevate it to the next level. Will the true Microsoft titles like Halo, Gears, and Forza go multi-plat? I'm leery abut that, but Bethesda and Activision/Blizzard titles should be multiplatform.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Name me the last "must have" Microsoft exclusive game. Not franchise, but game.

I'll wait ... and while I do, this is exactly why it's smart for Microsoft to go multiplatform. If there's one area where Microsoft has failed in the last two console generations, it's exclusives. They're just not that great. Most of Microsoft's exclusive franchises are really tired, and none of the most recent titles in those franchises was that exciting.

Halo 5? Meh. Forza? An excellent series but more of the same with every iteration, in Motorsport and Horizon. Gears 5? Yep, it's Gears. Sea of Thieves? Fun but not fleshed out enough at launch to catch fire. Sunset Overdrive? A Jet Grind Radio rehash that never generated a sequel. Starfield? Fallout in space. Tedious.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Microsoft is not exiting the console business.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/micro ... 0-6520982/
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

pk500 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:56 pm
Name me the last "must have" Microsoft exclusive game. Not franchise, but game.

I'll wait ... and while I do, this is exactly why it's smart for Microsoft to go multiplatform. If there's one area where Microsoft has failed in the last two console generations, it's exclusives. They're just not that great. Most of Microsoft's exclusive franchises are really tired, and none of the most recent titles in those franchises was that exciting.

Halo 5? Meh. Forza? An excellent series but more of the same with every iteration, in Motorsport and Horizon. Gears 5? Yep, it's Gears. Sea of Thieves? Fun but not fleshed out enough at launch to catch fire. Sunset Overdrive? A Jet Grind Radio rehash that never generated a sequel. Starfield? Fallout in space. Tedious.
ya they've been stale for the last 2 gens. I loved Forza 2 Horizon on XBOX ONE but after that, all the horizon games are the same thing. You've played one, you played them all.

None of the other exclusives I enjoy for Xbox. But I don't enjoy most of the PS5 exclusives either except GT7.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

The press conference is this Thursday. Phil is going to speak.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Sure didn't sound like they were giving up. A whopping 4 games going muti platform. Whoa, groundbreaking stuff.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

I can't believe people overreacted on something :lol:

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

JOZ wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:00 pm
it was because of the pushback from the xbox userbase and fandom that forced MS to step back from their original plan.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Lancer wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:25 pm
it was because of the pushback from the xbox userbase and fandom that forced MS to step back from their original plan.
That is absurd...so you think Microsoft has had enough time to completely change their roadmap, leak more info of upcoming hardware and completely go back on all of their "deals" with Sony/Nintendo...all in a span of a week and a half? Because of some fanboys. GTFOH.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Yeah, that's pretty crazy
GT = Wilk5280

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Yeah, a lot of misinformation by social media content creators trying to be the first to “drop the bomb” about, what they felt was, a juicy tidbit. Turns out it was nothing even close to what they “reported”. Thing is, there are no journalistic ethics content creators have to follow so they simply moved on to their next “story”.

I’m glad Microsoft is staying in hardware. Their hardware and ecosystem is the best out there (not that the PS5 is bad. I love mine). That’s not the problem. Their first party/exclusive games are. This is a smart move by them IMO. The gaming world is changing and companies that don’t evolve with it will pay the price. Excited to see what their new hardware will entail when they reveal it in the fall. Rumors of a handheld unit are interesting. 2026 is the estimated launch. The announcement will probably coincide with Sony’s PS5 Pro launch.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Lancer wrote:
JOZ wrote:
Source, other than your fantasies?

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

LOL damn, y'all are brutal :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

pk500 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:39 am
Lancer wrote:
JOZ wrote:
Source, other than your fantasies?
social media, people in the xbox divisions, it happened. its not the first time either.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Lancer wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:38 pm
social media, people in the xbox divisions, it happened. its not the first time either.
LOL. Like DB said, there's no way in hell MS changed its plans this quickly due to social media and gamer feedback. Change in huge corporations is like turning a battleship, not a PT boat.

The problem is that, as Diablo said, the vast majority of gaming "insiders" on social media have no f*cking clue what they're talking about. They take one unsubstantiated rumor and run wild with it. Misinformation is incredibly contagious, and I bet nearly none of the gaming "insiders" on the Internet have had more than five minutes of journalistic training in their lives.

Also as Bill (Diablo) pointed out, the biggest race on the Internet is to be first, not to be accurate. So, you get complete horsesh*t most of the time as a result.