Madden 24 'Make or Break'

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Madden 24 'Make or Break'

Post by Lancer »

EA says it's a make or break year. Or maybe it's just more EA Marketing bullshit.

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/stat ... Lz76Q&s=19

response :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epZYrS13kGA&t=4s

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Madden 24 'Make or Break'

Post by pk500 »

This is bad news. Madden 23 plays just fine on the field -- it's perhaps the best and most realistic game of console football I've played.

"Make or break" is EA marketing BS for "Let's introduce a bunch of new features that no one wants and change the already solid physics and AI of the game completely so we can breathlessly declare, 'Everything is NEW!'"

History shows when EA makes wholesale changes to a franchise, the results usually are disastrous overkill until yet another course correction occurs the following year.

Hey, EA: You're the king of tweaks. You do it well. You suck at overhauls. Stay in your lane.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

I agree that this year it is a lot of fun to pick up and play a game. Also a noticeable difference between QBs. After playing with a good QB with accuracy and a strong arm and then switching to a lesser QB is noticeable.

The one thing I hate that I imagine we are stuck with is that the game is designed to focus on ultimate team and every time I open the game I accidentally open ultimate team because it always lands on a ultimate team offer nag screen you have to cancel.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I've been playing a Packers CFM on competitive mode instead of simulation and I'm having a lot of fun. Rogers retired in 2024 and now it's Jordan Love's team and he's had a great start to his career in GB.

The player tags are a great addition and I've seen the CPU construct some very good teams via free agency and the draft.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

The beta has really impressed me. It's mainly just a polishing and making old systems better but the player movement and gameplay is a lot better. It also looks better by whatever they did with that new technology. However to the casual eye who will just pop it in, they will say "same old Madden" and in some regards they would be correct. I mean refs on the field is great having it back but when the game doesn't have penalties on purpose than what is the point.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

New franchise stuff.

https://youtu.be/71HsdJTQIsw

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Early/EA Access starts tonight.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Sudz wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:29 pm
Early/EA Access starts tonight.
Interesting to hear everyone's thoughts on it.
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Played one game on the PC and it's right back to Baldur's Gate 3 which might be the best game to come out in the last 20 years but I digress.

Looks beautiful and player movement vastly improved, some of the jukes and interaction are the most realistic in any football game to date. That's about where the good ends for me.

Speed of the game borders on unrealistic, players move so fast with the ball in their hands, might just need to get used to it.

There is absolutely no defense in this game. If you want a high scoring all offense Madden this is your game.
Run blocking is so good you will average 10 yards a clip if you don't jam on the sprint button. As Bears and Herbert I had 126 yards on 12 carries. He is rated like a 76 btw, good news is he was auto subbed in play now due to fatigue
Hot routes and quick streaks are wide open. I saw none of the new WR / DB interactions I saw in the beta because no WR were ever covered.
As Justin Fields I went 24-25, on what Earth Fields is an elite passer I don't know but he is in Madden.
I played the Ravens Jackson had 77% completion percentage. He had 2 picks, one was realistic as my SS jumped a route, the other was pure Madden garbage DB head is not looking at all, throws up his hand at the exact right time to cause a deflection and int.
Saw 1 penalty in a 12 min quarter game with accelerated clock.

Like I said its the most realistic looking game I've ever seen with the new movement but it looks to be shoot out city with all the past omissions like penalties and issues.

Maybe once football starts I'll be more into it but the speed being so fast is jarring to me, idk if thats because my PC is a beast and it is just a PC thing or not.
Follow Me on:

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

im hearing a lot of good things about M24. I will dl the trial tonight and decide if it's a buy or not Friday.

Best Buy is still offering $15 Gift Certificate if you preorder before Friday release.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

only played one game w/ the bears and one game online.

the running game is pretty good. maybe too good. but I like running the ball so it suits me well.

not many int's by the cpu this year like last year. most of the time they bat the ball away. sometimes if it's a sure INT then they'll INT

online is still bs. I was tied 14-14 and the opponent scored a TD with a 1min left and for some reason went for 2 and missed.

I called the same play 2 times on offense and got the ball to the 5. then with 30 sec left draw play with Fields for the TD and the PAT for the win.

Asshole quit before the game was done. He still had like 20 seconds left and it's madden so anything can happen and i'm not very good but he quit.

So offline felt good online felt like s***.

Graphics are nice, the camera is more closer than last year. i thought some of the models were too big but it's ok.

still not sure if i should buy at BB preorder.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

played about 4 hours of the trial and the game is wearing me down now.

I'm probably at this point not going to pre-order it even w/ the best buy gift cert.

the game is improved but only slightly . The run game improvements aren't enough for me to put down $70. Anyway, the game will be discounted in about a month's time like it is every year to around $40.

If I get the urge Ill just play 23 on gamepass.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I'm enjoying it for what it is. Having a good bit of fun. Not likely to spend $70 for it, but may pick it up on sale.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I would guess I'm the only one playing on the PC but I figured out my speed issue, it defaulted me to unlocked frame rate. I locked it in at 120 and then dropped it to 60 and the speed is better. Still really hard to play defense and the lack of penalties is absurd for this many years in a row.
Follow Me on:

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I played a few games on PC and a few games on PS5. I always seem to see some strange stuff comparatively, though, so take this with a grain of salt.

QBs changed the CPU offense drastically. I blasted the Broncos 44-0 on All-Pro defaults due to Wilson being unable to do anything with QB contains outside and the DTs crashing down every snap (10 sacks and hovered around a 50% completion percentage).

Josh Allen could do whatever he wanted but clock management let me sneak out with a 27-23 win.

Kenny Pickett and the Steelers started hot and then cooled off after the first quarter in a 28-10 win.

Then the Chargers picked me off three times, sacked me 5 times and blew my doors off.

My defense is ranked something like 7th and my offense is 3rd, and I've totally enjoyed it. I would say I've had to change my strategy this year compared to past years, as far as calling plays on defense. I'd use coach recommendations for so long, and this year on both offense and defense I've stopped and had to pay attention with what they're calling vs. what I called. They seem to do a pretty good job of seeing a "pattern" of me calling variations of cover 3 or cover 4 and murdering me all day with it. But some of those "cover 6 inverts" or plays that look like one coverage and show the other are incredible at sprinkling in for long yardage situations and the CPU QBs will make some absolutely hilarious reads/attempts.

I think the running game is indeed too strong but not so strong that I can run for anything I want every snap...I can definitely go for 150 per game, though, with a pretty average-rated OL and a great-rated RB.

It's still Madden. The OL/DL engagement is quite a bit better, and you can really get after guys--I mentioned the 10 sacks against the Broncos? Only ONE did I control. Maxx Crosby had 4, and Jerry Tillery had 3. Go figure. But I've seen so many things where I shed a block with one DL, the QB panics and runs the other direction, right into another CPU defender.

I dunno, I'm digging it quite a bit but I tend to enjoy and see some of the 'new' stuff each year that keeps me hooked for a few weeks and then I lose interest so who knows...

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I've played with the 10-hour EA Play trial. And ... another year, another Madden I won't buy and will wait until it's free at EA Play after the Super Bowl.

As most have said, running is too easy this year. But I also think it's harder to get pressure on the quarterback this year.

Still, there's nothing here that's radically different. I'm sure true Maddenheads -- I'm not one of them -- can pinpoint all sorts of subtle differences that create a better game. But I usually just sit down and play a game with two random teams or the Bills against another AI team, and I don't discern that much of a change from last year's fun game other than the ease of running and difficulty of pass rushing.

Madden isn't a mess, unlike EA's NHL series. It's a very solid franchise. But there's not enough in the new game for me to justify a purchase. At least that's $65 that will stay in my money clip for another year. Grateful for that.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

TCrouch wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:14 am
It's still Madden. The OL/DL engagement is quite a bit better, and you can really get after guys--I mentioned the 10 sacks against the Broncos? Only ONE did I control. Maxx Crosby had 4, and Jerry Tillery had 3. Go figure. But I've seen so many things where I shed a block with one DL, the QB panics and runs the other direction, right into another CPU defender.
Hmm, I can't get any pressure with the Bears at all but they have a s*** DL so that makes sense. I wonder if you played a game with the Bears if you could generate that much pressure, if you can then it means I suck LOL.

I do agree since I stopped using coach only and calling my own defense I've been more affective but what I still see that drives me nuts is the CPU DB or WR make plays on the ball and my guys do not at all unless I control them which I do not want to do.
Follow Me on:

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

Has anyone messed with the play cool down settings. Really opens up the playbook.
XBL gamertag:SecondACR Vet
PSN: BHoward1
http://community.2ksports.com/community ... id=1010465
http://twitter.com/ BradHowardSr

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

TheGamer wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:51 pm
Has anyone messed with the play cool down settings. Really opens up the playbook.
what is this? never heard of it- where do I find it?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Lancer wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:00 pm
TheGamer wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:51 pm
what is this? never heard of it- where do I find it?
It's in the league settings you can set how many plays have to go by before you call the same play and I believe how many times you can call the same play in a game.
Follow Me on:

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

That is correct. I'm using a 10 play cooldown between repeated play call and limit the number I can call the play to 3 times. It's great it opens up the rest of the playbook and gets you away from your personal money plays. Or at least limits you to how .any times you can call it.
XBL gamertag:SecondACR Vet
PSN: BHoward1
http://community.2ksports.com/community ... id=1010465
http://twitter.com/ BradHowardSr

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

madden 24 is free this weekend to play

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

I really liked last years Madden 23.

I really hate this years Madden 24. I mean like really really really hate this game. I don't think I've hated a game so much in a long time.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Lancer wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:36 am
I really liked last years Madden 23.

I really hate this years Madden 24. I mean like really really really hate this game. I don't think I've hated a game so much in a long time.
Why? What did you like so much about 23 that's not there and what do you dislike so much with 24?
GT = Wilk5280