PGA Tour 2K23

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Re: PGA Tour 2K23

Post by Leadfoot5 »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:45 am
I'd be curious to get you guy's thoughts on the version of Pebble Beach we played yesterday.
I really enjoyed it, wouldn't mind a full weekend event there sometime.

Greensboronclion
Mario Mendoza

Post by Greensboronclion »

Thought PB was a really good course and well done. I had a hard time with it and also today as putting hasn't been good last two days and that will kill you in this game. As for PB you must score on the first six holes as the run from #7 on is always tough and this course no different than any other version I have played before. Also I have played a practice round at A Tradition like know other the Nasters course and just a great layout. Lots of great designers and if Spyglass Hill and Cypress Point are also available those with PB would be a great three round event for us. Here is to hoping for that and by the way I like this new three round events over 3 or 4 days as its kind of fun.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

I though Pebble Beach was very good. Easy one to "favorite". Like Greens I also tried a round at "A tradition like no other". It is also very good. Got me for a +3, but mainly due to a quad bogey trying to get out of a sand trap.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

JOZ wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:15 am
I though Pebble Beach was very good. Easy one to "favorite". Like Greens I also tried a round at "A tradition like no other". It is also very good. Got me for a +3, but mainly due to a quad bogey trying to get out of a sand trap.
And that’s probably because of the default club which I am still having issues with. Flop is too much, chip is very angle and position dependent, with sand shots I have easily lost 3-4 shots no matter what course. But if someone got the proper wedge built for Splash shots please share it along or it needs to be patched.

Enjoyed Pebbles as well, John what I’d like to suggest is to keep the weekend tourneys starting on Fridays to 36 holes. Four rounds is too much and keep the rest of the dailies, starting late Sundays.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Well, I guess the game won’t let finish the third round and fourth for that matter. I was going -5 at #16 on that round when my shot landed at a beach where the tall heavy rocks are. Took a snapshot of it where I am stuck as the game would not let me re-hit a shot that landed originally in the water after bouncing of the tall rocks.

johnnypark
Mario Mendoza

Post by johnnypark »

10spro wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:06 pm
Well, I guess the game won’t let finish the third round and fourth for that matter. I was going -5 at #16 on that round when my shot landed at a beach where the tall heavy rocks are. Took a snapshot of it where I am stuck as the game would not let me re-hit a shot that landed originally in the water after bouncing of the tall rocks.
You can't declare the shot unplayable?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

johnnypark wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:39 pm
10spro wrote:
I tried. There was no option but a big fat X as to where to place there ball. I will try tomorrow again, hopefully the option is there.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

10spro wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:53 pm
johnnypark wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:39 pm
10spro wrote:
I tried. There was no option but a big fat X as to where to place there ball. I will try tomorrow again, hopefully the option is there.
Same thing happened to me at Pebble. Just shut it down. F it.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Somehow in round one I ended up on that beach on 16. Chipped in from there lol.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:34 pm
Somehow in round one I ended up on that beach on 16. Chipped in from there lol.
Makes total sense. :roll: These are 50’ high rocks, no pitch or flop shot would save my day. They were just staring at me.

But on the +side just tried again this morning and after losing probably 7-8 shots yesterday, at least the game allowed me to finish round 3.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Experienced two freezes today during the game. Anyone?

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

10spro wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:11 am
I had one after a shot in a bunker on 16 or 17. Had to close out and start back up. Actually a little surprised it registered the shot as I started in the bunker.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:11 am
I've had two freezes in all my time playing this game. What I am finding though is that if I want something approaching consistent performance, if I'm going to play two rounds, back-to-back, I'm far better of shutting the game down entirely from its launch box, and restarting it. I'm far more likely to get consistent swing feel and performance when I do that.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I'd like to state what I'm doing with the Society structure in our DSP Society. I set this weekend's tournament up for 36 holes over 4 days. It's also set at the venue for this week's PGA event, El Camaleón in Mexico. We've had a tradition that was started by Vader going back to TGC 2, of playing the multi-round tournaments at the PGA TOUR's venue for that same weekend. If we have a quality recreation of that course in the game, I plan to use it.

I also want to share my though process on selecting conditions. If it's a one round tournament, I'm going to go with the course designer's default settings, with the thought that would be how the designer would most want their course to be presented. The only thing I am changing right now is to keep the green firmness either soft or medium, and the green speed between slow or medium, because of the excessive rollout this game is currently plagued with. I'll change more of the conditions in later rounds of a multi-round tournament to mix it up more.

I welcome all of your feedback on how this is going. I'd like to find the most common denominator for works best for your desires as a member of this Society.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:48 pm
I welcome all of your feedback on how this is going. I'd like to find the most common denominator for works best for your desires as a member of this Society.
I appreciate the fact that you keep this running on a daily basis and your ideas sound good to me.

I finally had a breakthrough event last night - keeping pace with Joz - and it wasn't luck... I watched a video on YouTube about the TGC Tour so I decided to jump back in after trying it a year or two ago. They play on the Master difficulty so I went for it. First two rounds of the qualifying tournament I shot +11 and +10, but then I shot a -1 and a +1 in my next two rounds as I dialed my timing in. I have to admit that it is extremely gratifying to hit "perfect" shots on the Master difficulty. I also think they did a remarkable job with the controller feedback and associated sound with this version of the game. I can tell if my shot was slow or fast even before the UI tells me.

Immediately after my 4 rounds on Master difficulty, I played both rounds of our Society event. I was hitting way more perfect shots, especially with my irons, and I finished with a -9 and a -7. Playing rounds on Master before playing the rounds on Pro really helped with my Pro game. Maybe that will help someone else elevate their game. :)

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

John, as usual thanks for setting up the tournaments week in and week out for the past few seasons. I agree that the default speed on the greens is a tad fast if you leave on default, and medium seems to be right tempo. Having said that, I wouldn’t mind if we all experience the default green settings at least once or twice a week and see if it’s course dependent or the rolls are indeed over the top no matter where you play.

Thanks for the tip on starting from fresh with the game as I usually just use the quick resumes feature and experienced another freeze at the first round in Mexico.

Overall, I am enjoying the game very much after a month, there are some quirks where the game penalizes you for no reason even if you want to use an unplayable shot but overall I am enjoying my career and the tournaments that you set daily.

Greensboronclion
Mario Mendoza

Post by Greensboronclion »

Thanks again John for setting these events up. I am bit surprised they haven't yet addressed the firm setting on the greens which makes me believe it's not an easy fix as no patches since the first. I believe Medium plays about right and a good setting for now and let's hope they fix soon.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Until I can figure out how to hit a consistent shot my feedback would be useless. I'll be playing fine, be a few under par then my golfer will start to lag and then that is always followed by slow or very slow swings the rest of the round. It's so frustrating because I do not have the same issues on the PC. I'm basically still playing because I am a masochist.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Danimal wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:12 pm
J_Cauthen wrote:
Until I can figure out how to hit a consistent shot my feedback would be useless. I'll be playing fine, be a few under par then my golfer will start to lag and then that is always followed by slow or very slow swings the rest of the round. It's so frustrating because I do not have the same issues on the PC. I'm basically still playing because I am a masochist.
I am having the same issue. Last game I was much more consistent. This game, I'll start out fine and then the game starts going nuts and I can't hit perfect shots for my life. So yeah, this is one of the most frustrating games I've ever played.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I think I'm done with this game. Today I duffed my first 6 tee shots. Some read very fast, some very slow. There was no big difference in how I hit them. I shot a +35 on the front because the game was lagging and it was just giving me crazy results so when I hit it in the water I just rehit from the same spot to see what was going on. Then I walked away to take care of something came back 15 minutes later and hit 6 perfect shots in a row and I think I was +2 on the back. Again didn't change a thing in what I am doing.

I might hooked up my Elite controller just to see if it makes a difference but there is clearly either an issue with my controller or Xbox that is causing these results. Someone told me to try deleting last years version of the game, no idea if that would help. I'm not that bad of a player and since no one else is having issues then it has to be on my end. I'll stick to the PC version where I can shoot under par regularly and not duff tee shots.

I'm really rooting for the EA game because this is just no fun.
Follow Me on:

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Fairly nice size patch to 2K23 today. Here is a video detailing it.
https://youtu.be/KwW7WJRo4lw
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Should be an improvement overall, so I hope. It address more stability for online play, so I shouldn’t be experiencing freezes or the odd hiccups during certain swings.

And that’s in either career or online tourneys.

They are removing the chip shot from the beach which is nice, people were using it because they never improved the difficulties at splashing the ball from the sand instead. I am hearing the default ball will be removed too.

It’s a long patch let’s hope for some nice improvements.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

They removed chipping from the sand but didn't fix the splash shots. They gave the option of disabling people using special balls which is good. They did nothing about the green speed, so if its on medium fast and I have a 17 foot uphill 1 foot putt I still need to set my meter at 17 feet not to blow it by the hole.

I haven't tried it on the console yet so we will see if it fixed the swing issues I am having.
Follow Me on:

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

I'll be out of the country for a couple weeks, so please keep the heat on Joz... He's still making this look WAY too easy... :)

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

This is 35% off for Microsoft's Black Friday sale. I think I will finally pull the trigger.