PGA Tour 2K23

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

PGA Tour 2K23

Post by Diablo25 »

I posted a few impressions of the game over in the 2K21 thread so I figured I would start a 2K23 thread and copy/paste those impression in the new thread.

I am currently playing PGA 2K23 (The New Zealand time zone trick works). I have only messed with the swing for a but but it definitely has a DIFFERENT feel. I haven’t tried the 3 Click yet. Graphics are improved. All of the assets are crisper. Tiger’s swing is nice. More in a bit.

Swing audio (ball strikes, etc.) have been redone and are more realistic. You can hear the ball cutting through the air right off the club face. By default, the swing stick is more difficult in my opinion.

Graphics settings are either QUALITY (higher resolution) or PERFORMANCE (higher FPS). The range is much improved. Many greens to work with.

The 3 Click Swing is fun. It’s different than “classic” 3 click swings. It is a circle that fills up (power) with a press and hold. When you let go of the press and hold a dial begins (counter clockwise). The second and third clicks are at the top of the circle and bottom of the circle. The higher the difficulty the faster the dial spins…and the “perfect swing” areas get smaller. I will definitely be messing with this swing style.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: PGA Tour 2K23

Post by J_Cauthen »

So it's already able to launch? I thought it would at least be midnight EDT before it would be able to launch. Mine is downloading an update presently. I'll try it in a minute. I'll set up the DSP Society after I play a round or two. We should have a one round test tournament available to play in the morning.

Does the Performance mode look like 1080p to you? I've read that Quality mode is relegated to 30 FPS. How do we address the endless variety of seeming performance enhancing balls that are available? They can't be locked out in Society play.... at least not yet. Thanks for getting this thread going!

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Diablo, I figured out the New Zealand trick after re-reading your message. I got it to work about 55 minutes before I would have been able to get it on Eastern Standard Time. It didn't activate my Deluxe version bonuses until I went back to my normal time zone and location. So far I can say that this game feels easier in Pro than 2K21 in Pro. I had to go to Performance mode to get a swing with a responsive feel to it. Quality mode was a stutterfest, especially when putting. I don't think the graphics suffer much in performance mode, but the lighting doesn't feel as dynamic. It's not a hard choice to go with Performance overall.

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

Are you guys on PS5 or Xbox One X|S?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Our society is run on the Xbox James. Not sure if they went cross platform this year. I haven't unlocked my ghetto regular version of 2k23 yet. LOL.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

James_E wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:20 am
Are you guys on PS5 or Xbox One X|S?
It's XBox. How's the game playing on the PS5? Do you find as significant a difference in swing smoothness in Performance mode as we're finding on the Series X. Seriously, the game would be unplayable for me if I had to stick to Quality mode on the Series X. In performance mode, I can feel even more nuance in the swing than I felt in 2K21. I don't think the graphics take much of a hit in performance mode either. Yeah, you can't use the performance mode on the standard version of the game on an XBox One, S, or One X, I guess.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:56 pm
Our society is run on the Xbox James. Not sure if they went cross platform this year. I haven't unlocked my ghetto regular version of 2k23 yet. LOL.
They did not go cross platform this year and really, I'm not sure the XBox Series S/X are truly "cross generational" with the XBox One OG, S, and One X, based on my experiments with the standard and enhanced versions of the core game. The standard version is a slide show on my Series X, and has no option for a lower-res/lower-detail performance mode as does the Series X Enhanced version of 2K23.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I've got the DSP Society going now on XBox and have already posted a very beatable score. Overall, I enjoyed the gameplay more than that of 2K21. The pitching and chipping is much tougher because it requires so much more touch and partial shot management. I had six birdies in my round, but still couldn't break par in my first tournament round.

Type in "Digital Sportspage (DSP) and you should find our Society. I've got it open to the public right now to make it easier to get onboard, but I put a message in the Society's information page that it is for members of this forum only, and that others will be removed. They're always welcome to join the forum to join the Society.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

For some reason I thought this thing didn't unlock until Friday. Guess I'll be firing it up tonight.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

im just a casual golf videogamer and only been seeing twitch for this game. Looks a lot like 2k21 and I can't tell about the gameplay until I play it.

But for me, I'll wait to see if it goes on sale or just wait for what EA has to offer next year and then make a decision.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I had a few BULLS*HIT miss hits in the society round today. Perfect swings that ended up being horrid. Needs to be fixed. Otherwise had a great round.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Spent a couple hours with the game today. Immediate reaction is mixed. The options for creating your golfer are terribly limited so that's kind of a bummer. The swing mechanic must not have been changed all that much off the tee, my game is still fine there - but as others have noted the play around the green feels way more realistic and difficult. I can't figure out how to get rid of the swing meter, but keep the putting meter. They must have removed that option.

Graphics are only a half step up, but still noticeably better. I really appreciate the different colors of the grass in the rough. I also appreciate the extra animations after holing out. As long as I have the society events to look forward too, I'm happy.

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

Well I've been damn close to getting an xbox for a few months now, so now was as good a time as any. Should be online tonight :)

Xbox gamertag JamesE009

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

James_E wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:27 pm
Well I've been damn close to getting an xbox for a few months now, so now was as good a time as any. Should be online tonight :)

Xbox gamertag JamesE009
Awesome! I feel like I'm still in my honeymoon with my Series X, 19 months in. Just make sure you change the graphics in the game's settings from Quality to Performance before you play 2K24! See you out there!

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I preordered the game through Best Buy, got the code today, and redeemed it. However, it won't download the game.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

fsquid wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:50 pm
I preordered the game through Best Buy, got the code today, and redeemed it. However, it won't download the game.
I've never gone the code purchased via Best Buy route. Where do you go to enter the code to download it and which version did you buy?

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

James_E wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:27 pm

Xbox gamertag JamesE009
You're on the leaderboard James, and welcome to the Society! I hope we'll have 9 or 10 in the Society by Friday. It'll heat up a bit as we go.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Leadfoot5 wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:10 pm
Spent a couple hours with the game today. Immediate reaction is mixed. The options for creating your golfer are terribly limited so that's kind of a bummer. The swing mechanic must not have been changed all that much off the tee, my game is still fine there - but as others have noted the play around the green feels way more realistic and difficult. I can't figure out how to get rid of the swing meter, but keep the putting meter. They must have removed that option.

Graphics are only a half step up, but still noticeably better. I really appreciate the different colors of the grass in the rough. I also appreciate the extra animations after holing out. As long as I have the society events to look forward too, I'm happy.
You're right on the mark with your comments about player creation.... they've stripped all the tools we've had from the previous 3 games in the series. I don't get it... aren't supposed to be advancing the technology and features!?

I turn all the meters off except for the feedback meter, so I can't answer your question about keeping the putting meter. I use the vibration feedback to help me with my putt backswing distance, although usually once you feel the vibration start, you've already gone too far. I'll take the putter back until I feel the vibration then stop noting how far I had taken the club relative to my golfer's feet. I'll then scale it to just under that on my real stroke.

I like the feel of the swing in 23 better than 21. I can better tell what I did wrong to get the result I got. I love the added feel required for all phases of the short game. It requires so much more intuition.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Seems like not a whole lot has been done to advance the series and the primary focus was getting the big names in the game. Think I'll be taking a pass on this early on and wait to see if any developments come along or a price drop heading into the holidays.
GT = Wilk5280

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:55 am

You're on the leaderboard James, and welcome to the Society! I hope we'll have 9 or 10 in the Society by Friday. It'll heat up a bit as we go.
Yeah I had a STELLAR round lol. I'm just getting back into it and am quite rusty. Had 10 and a 9 out there. :) I went and did swing calibration and it's a bit better. But I have work to do :)

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Haven't gotten it yet but in online societies do you still allocate points of whatever it is called to your golfer to differentiate or is everyone the same like the last version?
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Also anyone have the PC Version?
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:38 pm
Haven't gotten it yet but in online societies do you still allocate points of whatever it is called to your golfer to differentiate or is everyone the same like the last version?
There are like six different archetypes you can choose from for your golfer's skill allocation. I've found so far that the "Rhythm" archetype is the best fit for me, but I've only tried three of them. The power archetype can hit the ball 10 yards further off the tee than my rhythm golfer, but I find that it punishes my more than plentiful swing errors more than the risk is worth. I haven't tried to reallocate points yet, but I'll give that a try.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:40 pm
Also anyone have the PC Version?
No, but I'd be willing to bet I could come up with a quality to performance ratio that was more pleasing if I had it on my PC. There are two pages of graphics settings on the PC version, but there are only two basic options on the Series X, Quality (30 FPS) and Performance (60 FPS). There's one additional option under Quality that was new to me - SSGI (Screen Space Global Illumination). I liked the looks of the image better with it on and it didn't seem to hurt the already stuttering performance in Quality mode any more.

I'll probably wind up buying the PC version when they drop the price down to $40 or less, like I did with 2K21.

johnnypark
Mario Mendoza

Post by johnnypark »

I’m basically a lurker on here but I’ll be joining the society.
We need someone to occupy the basement of the leaderboards

GT - DaWeldah