PGA Tour 2K23

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: PGA Tour 2K23

Post by JOZ »

I've only played two rounds on Pro difficulty this morning. -5 at Bay Hill and -7 at Sawgrass. I didn't notice any swing issues, but thought the overall animation was fast and weird. Not sure if there was something off or just not used to it compared to 2k21. The only thing I feel I will have to get used to is the chipping. Definitely more difficult, which the game needed imo. Also had to go to performance over quality. Hopefully the patch addressed the frame rate. Overall pleased.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

JOZ wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:25 pm
I've only played two rounds on Pro difficulty this morning. -5 at Bay Hill and -7 at Sawgrass. I didn't notice any swing issues, but thought the overall animation was fast and weird. Not sure if there was something off or just not used to it compared to 2k21. The only thing I feel I will have to get used to is the chipping. Definitely more difficult, which the game needed imo. Also had to go to performance over quality. Hopefully the patch addressed the frame rate. Overall pleased.
I don't understand. My game is completely unplayable, even after the patch. I just played two rounds, pro swing, and didn't get Perfect ONE time and ended up +15 or so each round. I mean, you guys know me...I'm an under par kind of guy, my timing is usually pretty good. Just can't figure this game out.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Man I wish I had stuck to my guns and my gut but I went ahead and dropped $70 on this game. I'm not impressed at all, I think this is a major step backwards from the last version. Much of it could be saved with a patch.

1. Graphics - This is not a next gen looking game in anyway. In fact I don't see a single thing that looks better from the last version. I wouldn't care if you weren't charging me $10 more for a supposed enhanced version which is micro-transaction city. This has to be the worst looking next gem sports title on the market.

2. Main Swing - The golfers swing is no where near as smooth and synch to the stick as 2k21. His backswing is super fast and jerky. There is no feel to it, forget about hitting touch shots with the speed the backswing meter moves. With that said it is the most minor problem of the on course stuff.

3. Chipping / Short Game: I'm glad the only let you do blast shots out of the sand as that was an easy cheat in the last game but my lord, there is no weight to the chipping and pitch swings. It's like they want you to play this game with a meter on so you're staring at that instead of your golfer. You barely move the stick back on short chips and sand shots and then the vibration hits so fast I jam the stick forward.

4. Putting - As has been mention say hello to mini golf green physics but putting also suffers the most on the abbreviate swing. Have a 5 footer, well that vibration is going to go off the minute you pull the stick back, Your on screen golfers putter will move maybe an inch. Have an 80 footer the vibration start like .5 seconds after pulling back and the animation of the putter head goes maybe 5 inches. The whole thing is just weird.

As I said it is almost like they want you looking at the meters instead of your golfer. That's not how I ever played this game and the on screen guy and his movements do not mirror what you're doing with the thumbstick in my opinion.

Will I get used to it? Yes. Will I enjoy it? Probably not.

Anyone who gets pissed at Madden for shoveling out the same s*** every year better take a close look on what these guys are doing. This is nothing but a cash grab that I jumped in on just to play in the society. Bring on EA's game because it has to be better than this.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Danimal wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:07 pm
Man I wish I had stuck to my guns and my gut but I went ahead and dropped $70 on this game. I'm not impressed at all, I think this is a major step backwards from the last version. Much of it could be saved with a patch.

1. Graphics - This is not a next gen looking game in anyway. In fact I don't see a single thing that looks better from the last version. I wouldn't care if you weren't charging me $10 more for a supposed enhanced version which is micro-transaction city. This has to be the worst looking next gem sports title on the market.

2. Main Swing - The golfers swing is no where near as smooth and synch to the stick as 2k21. His backswing is super fast and jerky. There is no feel to it, forget about hitting touch shots with the speed the backswing meter moves. With that said it is the most minor problem of the on course stuff.

3. Chipping / Short Game: I'm glad the only let you do blast shots out of the sand as that was an easy cheat in the last game but my lord, there is no weight to the chipping and pitch swings. It's like they want you to play this game with a meter on so you're staring at that instead of your golfer. You barely move the stick back on short chips and sand shots and then the vibration hits so fast I jam the stick forward.

4. Putting - As has been mention say hello to mini golf green physics but putting also suffers the most on the abbreviate swing. Have a 5 footer, well that vibration is going to go off the minute you pull the stick back, Your on screen golfers putter will move maybe an inch. Have an 80 footer the vibration start like .5 seconds after pulling back and the animation of the putter head goes maybe 5 inches. The whole thing is just weird.

As I said it is almost like they want you looking at the meters instead of your golfer. That's not how I ever played this game and the on screen guy and his movements do not mirror what you're doing with the thumbstick in my opinion.

Anyone who gets pissed at Madden for shoveling out the same s*** every year better take a close look on what these guys are doing. This is nothing but a cash grab that I jumped in on just to play in the society. Bring on EA's game because it has to be better than this.
Pretty much this. The biggest issue is the swing meter not matching the animation. I'm fairly certain that's what is screwing me up. It's a HUGE step back compared to last year. I can't shake it. Like you, I'll get used to it, maybe, just to play in the society but that's it. So pissed.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Leadfoot5 wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:12 pm
J_Cauthen wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:21 pm
Leadfoot5 wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:03 pm
Day One patch is ready, I'm downloading now...

- Addressed a swing glitch.
- Fixed an issue with the Clubhouse Pass.
- Addressed the difficulty settings bugs
- Addressed crashing issues with the game.
- Addressed FPS drop issues.
- Added various gameplay enhancements.
- General stability improvements and fixes.
- Added gameplay optimizations.
- Other minor fixes.
Hmmmm... not seeing the patch here in South Carolina yet. Where are you located Leadfoot?
I'm in Charlotte, NC
Okay, I see what was happening now. I had changed my preferences to automatically download updates, and it was downloading as I way typing my message. I've played one round since installing it and it played smooth from start to finish. I shot a 67 in my last Korn Ferry event in Career mode to finish 4th, and it got me a PGA TOUR card. I'll have to play some more before I can get a better feel for the benefits of the Update.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Danimal wrote:

1. Agree

2. Agree, BUT... the game play great if you just turn off the stupid meters and go by feel.

3. I LOVE the chipping and short game. The new mechanic takes some getting used to, but finding that rhythm and feel on those short chips just off the green is so much more interesting and rewarding in this version. I've already holed out a couple times and it was a great feeling. Timing and tempo on the follow though is the key obviously, and it gets easier to judge with practice.

4. Not sure I get this. I always use the slightest of movement on the stick when I pull back for the power. Putting is pretty much exactly the same as 2K1. Just pull back slightly and wait for the vibration... It occurs to me that a couple of your comments have been about the player animations and how they sync with the shot meter. I'll be honest, I'm not paying attention to the player animations at all when I swing or putt. All of my concentration is on what I'm doing with the controller - I'm kinda just zoning out from a visual perspective - not sure else how to explain it... :)

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

For what it's worth, since the patch I have not hit one "perfect" tempo shot in 4 rounds of golf. And I just shot a +1 in our current event. :lol:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Leadfoot5 wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:59 pm
4. Not sure I get this. I always use the slightest of movement on the stick when I pull back for the power. Putting is pretty much exactly the same as 2K1. Just pull back slightly and wait for the vibration... It occurs to me that a couple of your comments have been about the player animations and how they sync with the shot meter. I'll be honest, I'm not paying attention to the player animations at all when I swing or putt. All of my concentration is on what I'm doing with the controller - I'm kinda just zoning out from a visual perspective - not sure else how to explain it... :)
As I said if you don't look at your guy then it wouldn't be an issue. There is no weight or synching of the animated golfer to your stick movement. In 21 I could pull the stick back and my guy would take the club back an appropriate length, same with putting and chipping. In this version nothing is synched. I pull the stick back and no matter how little I pull it back I am in the over 100% range and the animation is slightly off when pulling back and then it plays super fast to catch up. Again if you don't pay attention like you said you wouldn't notice it but the on screen avatar is not making realistic golf swings, chips or putts.

As I said I will get used to it and I already have started to after 5 rounds but it's almost pointless to look at your avatar because it actually hurts your swing. As you said you need to concentrate. In an effort to make the game more difficult they have ruined what was one of the best parts in my opinion.

Now even if all that worked as I wished this game is not worth $70, never mind $100. My buddy at EA said they rushed this out because its not as good as the EA game. I guess we will see come spring.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Danimal wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:23 pm

Now even if all that worked as I wished this game is not worth $70, never mind $100. My buddy at EA said they rushed this out because its not as good as the EA game. I guess we will see come spring.
I hear you. Makes sense.

Yeah, I'm not happy that I shelled out $100 for the Deluxe version AND they want me to pay more money for the season passes. That REALLY rubs me the wrong way. Pretty shitty.

On the other hand, I DO feel like I get my money's worth, as I have more hours invested into this game than any other in my collection. It's the ONLY game that I will play every day given the time.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Crossplay announced for PGA2K23. More customizations for MyPlayer also. Crossplay covers all platforms.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Leadfoot5 wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:59 pm
Danimal wrote:

1. Agree

2. Agree, BUT... the game play great if you just turn off the stupid meters and go by feel.

3. I LOVE the chipping and short game. The new mechanic takes some getting used to, but finding that rhythm and feel on those short chips just off the green is so much more interesting and rewarding in this version. I've already holed out a couple times and it was a great feeling. Timing and tempo on the follow though is the key obviously, and it gets easier to judge with practice.

Looks like Leadfoot and I are on the exact same page as far as this game.

Graphics are disappointing for a Series X version. Seems like it was developed again for Xbox one and given a Series X makeover. Graphics are better, but not what I was hoping for. And what is up with the Quality mode? Not even sure why it's an option. Terrible FPS

I like the game and I think it's worth $70 if you didn't have 2K21. If you did, I'm not so sure. That being said, I have yet to get in to the Mycareer stuff.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Also, if the swing stick is an issue for the majority, I'd be happy trying the 3-click for our society, if nothing else for a change of pace? Could be a fun experiment...

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

As I stated, previously, I chose not to pre-order PGA2K23 due to my frustrations with P GA2K21. After reading some of the comments in this thread, I’m conflicted on whether to pull the trigger and buy this year‘s version of the game.

The problem I was having with PGA 2K21 was the inconsistent results I was having with the tempo in the swing even on my Xbox Series S. I had to play with the tempo turned off which eliminated my participation in the DSP society tournaments.

I’m also not opposed to using the meter for the main swing as I use it when putting. Is that an option in the DSP Tournaments?

As for 3-click, I’m willing to try it but it’s not my favorite swing method.

-MERACE

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Is it me, or the Splash shot just doesn’t work out of the sand trap? I mean you make contact but it falls way short of the pin placement.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I really don't understand what the hell is going on with this game. I am cruising along, tempo great (maybe fast or slow, but not REALLY fast or slow at all)...then I get to hole 14, then the next 4 holes I go REALLY FAST on all 4 tee shots and their subsequent shot. I literally tried to do it slowly and it went fast. Went from -4 and leading the KF Tour Event to +8. F*ck this game.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

10spro wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:28 pm
Is it me, or the Splash shot just doesn’t work out of the sand trap? I mean you make contact but it falls way short of the pin placement.
Yeah, I haven't figured this one out either.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

3 Click is VERY FUN - especially on the higher difficulties. I turned off a good bit of the aids and went to Pro with the 3 Click and its great. Book only for yardage is challenging and fun for me. Nice change of pace.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Diablo25 wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:39 am
3 Click is VERY FUN - especially on the higher difficulties. I turned off a good bit of the aids and went to Pro with the 3 Click and its great. Book only for yardage is challenging and fun for me. Nice change of pace.
I was using book only in my career in 2k21 towards the end. Definitely adds some challenge.

I haven't tried 3 click in 2k23 yet. I will have to check it out.. I'm finding Pro too easy with the regular swing. Trying master now.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

JOZ wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:40 pm
I haven't tried 3 click in 2k23 yet. I will have to check it out.. I'm finding Pro too easy with the regular swing. Trying master now.
You must have gotten a good copy of the game. Wtf.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:22 pm
JOZ wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:40 pm
You must have gotten a good copy of the game. Wtf.
Lol, I'm not sure what's going on. I haven't seen any issues yet with the swing. In fact, I'm getting perfect swings probably 75-80% of the time on Pro. Of course, that could change the next time I turn it on.

johnnypark
Mario Mendoza

Post by johnnypark »

I rarely get perfect swings. Mostly fast. I'm having fun but to me it's way harder than 2k21.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

John, when is the deadline for the daily tourneys? I wanted to play Emery Beach today and it won’t allow me to. Give us western coasters more time. 8)

On a positive note, just won my first career tourney at Haven with a -7, maybe there’s some hope…

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

10spro wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:37 pm
John, when is the deadline for the daily tourneys? I wanted to play Emery Beach today and it won’t allow me to. Give us western coasters more time. 8)

On a positive note, just won my first career tourney at Haven with a -7, maybe there’s some hope…
If you go into the schedule, you can start it from there. That's what I did. Westsiiiiiide.

Oh yeah, first three drives, VERY FAST, right into the lake. Sweet. Starting off +5 and worked my way back to even, then hit into the drink on 18 to finish +2. I cannot for the life of me figure out the driver.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Danimal wrote:

2k21 was one of my biggest disappointments in my gaming life...It just wasn't worth it to me as I could never get the swing right. I am skipping this version unless there is a REAL reason to get it...
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:

This is a very good summary of the current state of the game Dan. I can't find fault with any of it. I expected it to be more optimized for the Series X. The delay in club movement relative to stick movement can't be overlooked. I find the game more difficult than 2K21 for a number of reasons, and therefore more challenging to play. Sometimes I get so pissed over inexplicably severe out of tempo swings, and just limp through my round to finish once I get a couple of those.

The Friday patch helped slightly, but there's a lot more work that could be done to this. I hope they really do also add some player customization. I was shocked at how generic and stripped down the player creation tools are now!?