PGA Tour 2K23

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: PGA Tour 2K23

Post by J_Cauthen »

johnnypark wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:49 pm
I’m basically a lurker on here but I’ll be joining the society.
We need someone to occupy the basement of the leaderboards

GT - DaWeldah
Glad to have onboard with us Johnny. I saw you were in second place in today's tournament, so not a bad start! I just finished a humiliating career mode round where I was having horrible server based tempo errors. My opening tee shot was off the scale on "Very Fast", got off the ground, and barely made it to the white tee marker 35 yards in front of me. I had at least a half dozen off scale Very Fasts and Very Slows on my way to an 85 and a last place Korn Ferry Tour tournament finish.

So far this game is having more temperamental server issues than the previous three games in the series.... and this is before the much larger user base starts playing the game at midnight! Hopefully 2K/HB can make some server side adjustments like they've done in the previous two games on launch week to fix it.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I'll be curious to know which player archetypes you guys settle on after you've played the game a while. I'm still experimenting, but I know Powerhouse ain't going to be it for me. I can't sniff a good tempo with that in play!!

Also, I welcome your input on what Swing Difficulty we need to be using. It looks like it will be between Pro and Pro-Am for now, but I can't get a good feel for which is best fit for my average skill, especially with the server load affecting the swings as much as it is right now.

You guys thing we ought to restrict the ball types to the default ball? It kind of seems a bit cheesy to have balls that can affect green speed and bite to the extent these special ball types are offering.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:22 pm
I'll be curious to know which player archetypes you guys settle on after you've played the game a while. I'm still experimenting, but I know Powerhouse ain't going to be it for me. I can't sniff a good tempo with that in play!!

Also, I welcome your input on what Swing Difficulty we need to be using. It looks like it will be between Pro and Pro-Am for now, but I can't get a good feel for which is best fit for my average skill, especially with the server load affecting the swings as much as it is right now.

You guys thing we ought to restrict the ball types to the default ball? It kind of seems a bit cheesy to have balls that can affect green speed and bite to the extent these special ball types are offering.
I'm good with Pro since I'd like to keep it the same as what the online modes use. (At least I think they do). And yes, default ball for sure.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Ok dumb question where to you go to switch from quality to performance graphics? Big time frame rate issues and I can't find the option amywhere

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

I'm having a great time with this game. My Career on Normal settings and Pro difficulty is perfect. After 6 events (single round only) I am ranked 24th, with one top-5 and a couple top-10's. Each time I get close to the leader I manage to choke and put together a string of bogies to fall out of contention. The "rival" stuff seems forced, but it's kinda fun too. Love the new physics, especially the pitch shots and chipping around the green. SO MUCH better. Oh, and the Society in-game leaderboards are finally working!! Woop!

Twice now I have lost all of my sponsors in My Career due to a terrible round. LOL!

Any time that I get the swing glitch I simply quit and restart the game and it clears it up. I would not use the quick-resume feature with this current build of the game, that seems to be what triggers the issue.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

fsquid wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:07 pm
Ok dumb question where to you go to switch from quality to performance graphics? Big time frame rate issues and I can't find the option amywhere
From the title screen go to "Profile Menu" then select "Graphics". On the XBOX, you hit the menu button for the Profile Menu.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I don't have "graphics" in my profile menu nor is "graphics" in the setting list. Guess I better go to their forums

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

fsquid wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:37 pm
I don't have "graphics" in my profile menu nor is "graphics" in the setting list. Guess I better go to their forums
It's only available on the Series X/S Enhanced version of the game. I tried to test it on my XBox One X, which is set up in my bedroom... and yeah, the Settings menu doesn't even have a "Graphics" sub-menu. I'm very surprised that they didn't recognize the need for a graphics setting, even if it meant cutting the res to 1080p, to allow XBox One, One S, One X, and even OG XBox Ones a chance at it. I'm sure the XBox One X would be able to run the game at 60 FPS in 1080p!

I can't believe how feature and option stripped this version of PGA Tour 2K is, even on the XBox Series X!? I'll be curious to see if they don't try to address some of this with the day one patch that I hear is coming.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I had this game in my cart twice today and couldn't pull the trigger on spending $74. I really need someone to tell me why it is worth it.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Interestingly since the last round I played 21 I had to grab a new controller. Started out my first round in the society today after using the NZ trick. For some reason, every other start of my swing the meter just went up a bit then stopped. I had to take multiple swings per shot. Crapped all over the course for 15 holes till I realized it was the controller causing it. Swapped to my spare and it all worked fine after that. So swapped out the controller and will give it another run tomorrow.

Clearly there is a huge variance across controller so now at least I have something to blame my crappy rounds on.

I vote for Pro swings too even tho I’ll be garbage with it. But might as well make it difficult. And yes, default balls.

And first impression is that it’s a step back from 21 in green physics. Back towards the glassy Golf Club slick as hell, stupid difficult to stick an approach way of doing things. Hopefully it was just that course or settings.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:03 am
Interestingly since the last round I played 21 I had to grab a new controller. Started out my first round in the society today after using the NZ trick. For some reason, every other start of my swing the meter just went up a bit then stopped. I had to take multiple swings per shot. Crapped all over the course for 15 holes till I realized it was the controller causing it. Swapped to my spare and it all worked fine after that. So swapped out the controller and will give it another run tomorrow.

Clearly there is a huge variance across controller so now at least I have something to blame my crappy rounds on.

I vote for Pro swings too even tho I’ll be garbage with it. But might as well make it difficult. And yes, default balls.

And first impression is that it’s a step back from 21 in green physics. Back towards the glassy Golf Club slick as hell, stupid difficult to stick an approach way of doing things. Hopefully it was just that course or settings.
I ran into all sorts of problems trying to play the third event in the Korn Ferry Tour yesterday evening. I got such a bad very fast tempo that it barely registered a hit. The ball wound up on the white tees. There were at least three other inexplicably bad very fasts and very slows. Multiple times, especially putting, the club either wouldn't start a backswing at all, or it would allow me to take the club back a few degrees, then hesitate and reset to address.

I left the game, went back to the menu, selected the same course in a casual local round, and then turned off the network connection. It played a little bit better, but was still inconsistent on the same course. I rebooted my Series X and after logging back on, I turned the network connection OFF. Played a local round on the same course while disconnected from the server on the same course, and it was silky smooth. Played 9 holes without a hitch. Reconnected to XBox Live and the 2K servers and the performance gradually degraded as the round progressed through the back 9.

It seems to be pot luck what sort of performance you're going to get out of this game. I recall HB having to make adjustments to this with 2K21 and TGC 2019, so hopefully we'll see something soon with 2K23. There's a rumored day one patch coming sometime today. We'll see what it holds in store for us.

I agree with your comments about putting. The greens are too slick, even with medium speed. I had firmness set for medium firmness and speed for the current tournament and they still played overly fast. I'm going with soft and slow greens for the next tournament for comparison.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I guess I downloaded the wrong version maybe.

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

I'm hoping to get some time with this on Sunday morning. I've got a busy few days (real-life golf, band rehearsals and gigs!)

So watch for JamesE009 to appear at the bottom of the leaderboard on Sunday (hopefully Sunday morning).

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

fsquid wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:25 am
I guess I downloaded the wrong version maybe.
I bought the Deluxe version (includes both enhanced and standard versions) of the game and I have both the X/S Enhanced version icon and a separate icon for the standard version of the game. Even on the Series X, if I click on the standard versions icon, I don't have a "Graphics" option in the menu.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

I had the same backswing glitch mentioned here where it stops immediately, but I can 100% fix it any time it happens by simply fully quitting the game and restarting. No need to switch controllers or anything. Some guy on Reddit is telling people to take apart and clean their controllers, and that's not it either.

My primary PSA is that I can recreate this problem about 90% of the time by turning off the XBOX mid game and quick resuming later. If I shut down the system while the game is running, I will always fully quit and restart. Since doing that I have never seen the backswing glitch in any of my rounds.

And John, I really don't understand your "server" comments. In hundreds and hundreds of rounds I've never felt there was any "lag" in the swing that was induced by the network or servers. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't ever have anything funky happen with my swing that I can't attribute to my own fault with the stick.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Leadfoot5 wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:39 am
I had the same backswing glitch mentioned here where it stops immediately, but I can 100% fix it any time it happens by simply fully quitting the game and restarting. No need to switch controllers or anything. Some guy on Reddit is telling people to take apart and clean their controllers, and that's not it either.

My primary PSA is that I can recreate this problem about 90% of the time by turning off the XBOX mid game and quick resuming later. If I shut down the system while the game is running, I will always fully quit and restart. Since doing that I have never seen the backswing glitch in any of my rounds.

And John, I really don't understand your "server" comments. In hundreds and hundreds of rounds I've never felt there was any "lag" in the swing that was induced by the network or servers. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't ever have anything funky happen with my swing that I can't attribute to my own fault with the stick.
I can see the merit to your shutting the game down completely and restarting when you see the glitch. I actually observed that last night while experimenting with connecting and disconnecting in various ways. Do you ever see a situation where you have trouble getting your golfer to start the downswing after taking a full backswing? I saw that this morning and I can eventually keep trying and I'll eventually be able to complete the swing, but the result is going to be way off tempo, all too often. I quit this morning completely and came back and the problem was gone in the resumed round.

I call it server problems because when I get highly erratic tempo results, I also notice that the screens get a little choppy when the camera is following the ball flight and roll, even with the game in performance mode. I've never seen any choppiness or inexplicably erratic tempo results when playing the official courses offline while disconnected from the server. That's why I attribute it to server load, or maybe it's possibly just as much a factor of the quality of my internet connection? I just know the game plays smooth as silk in offline mode, but you can only play local rounds on official courses to do that, and there's no real buzz to that for me.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I would tend to agree that it's a server side issue somewhere, somehow. There's has to be some reason that I can go out and shoot even par on a course one day and then the next day or a few hours later I can shoot +10 and not hit a single fairway under the same conditions. Yeah it may not be latency or whatever that you can see on your end, but even a few milliseconds difference in your swing tempo and all the sudden you go from fast to really fast and you hook it out of bounds. Some things just aren't explainable and so variable from round to round with this game. They got it pretty consistent last year so I hope the same is true eventually this year. At least in our society events.

And it's good to hear I'm not the only one with the backswing start stop glitch bullsh*t. It's so annoying. Since it's happening to a lot of people, it can be addressed.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:58 am

And it's good to hear I'm not the only one with the backswing start stop glitch bullsh*t. It's so annoying. Since it's happening to a lot of people, it can be addressed.
Really hoping that it's addressed in the first patch. Best feature of the Series X is the quick resume.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:53 am
Do you ever see a situation where you have trouble getting your golfer to start the downswing after taking a full backswing? I saw that this morning and I can eventually keep trying and I'll eventually be able to complete the swing, but the result is going to be way off tempo, all too often. I quit this morning completely and came back and the problem was gone in the resumed round.

I call it server problems because when I get highly erratic tempo results, I also notice that the screens get a little choppy when the camera is following the ball flight and roll, even with the game in performance mode. I've never seen any choppiness or inexplicably erratic tempo results when playing the official courses offline while disconnected from the server. That's why I attribute it to server load, or maybe it's possibly just as much a factor of the quality of my internet connection? I just know the game plays smooth as silk in offline mode, but you can only play local rounds on official courses to do that, and there's no real buzz to that for me.
I have not seen the downswing glitch yet. Hope I don't! :)

What you and DB say make sense. I just always assumed it was slight variations in my tempo that were the issue when I have an unusually bad round. Maybe not...?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Leadfoot5 wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:32 am
What you and DB say make sense. I just always assumed it was slight variations in my tempo that were the issue when I have an unusually bad round. Maybe not...?
Started playing my career, it's on the easiest settings ever and my tempo is NEVER perfect. Literally impossible to do on last years version (threw that back in last night)...this game is in horrible shape right now. So frustrating it releases in this form. If anyone is on the fence, please wait. Or suffer along w/ us in the daily tourneys knowing it's not YOU that's the issue. At least that's how I'm feeling currently after playing hundreds of rounds in the last version.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:41 am
Leadfoot5 wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:32 am
Started playing my career, it's on the easiest settings ever and my tempo is NEVER perfect. Literally impossible to do on last years version (threw that back in last night)...this game is in horrible shape right now. So frustrating it releases in this form. If anyone is on the fence, please wait. Or suffer along w/ us in the daily tourneys knowing it's not YOU that's the issue. At least that's how I'm feeling currently after playing hundreds of rounds in the last version.
Not having this experience at all, sorry DB!!. Playing on Pro and Normal difficulty for my Career, and just finished second at The Players Championship shooting -5. I'm hitting about 25% perfect tempo, but when I miss it's usually just a slight Fast or Slow - nothing I can't recover from on the next shot. Then of course I'm good for at least one shank and one severe slow hit per round too. Seems really well balanced to me....

First thing I did was calibrate my swing before I started my career, don't know if that will help?

Having a great time with the game...

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Day One patch is ready, I'm downloading now...

- Addressed a swing glitch.
- Fixed an issue with the Clubhouse Pass.
- Addressed the difficulty settings bugs
- Addressed crashing issues with the game.
- Addressed FPS drop issues.
- Added various gameplay enhancements.
- General stability improvements and fixes.
- Added gameplay optimizations.
- Other minor fixes.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Leadfoot5 wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:03 pm

- Other minor fixes.
Hmmmm... not seeing the patch here in South Carolina yet. Where are you located Leadfoot?

Greensboronclion
Mario Mendoza

Post by Greensboronclion »

Well I'm back and got the game for Xbox this time. Just saw patch go in and swing was better when I played event but I still suck as I was plus 5. Chipping going to take some time but overall I'm pleased with the game but not as easy as 2K21.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:21 pm
Leadfoot5 wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:03 pm

- Other minor fixes.
Hmmmm... not seeing the patch here in South Carolina yet. Where are you located Leadfoot?
I'm in Charlotte, NC