Madden 23

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Madden 23

Post by Sudz »

Been plating a ton of Madden single player the past few years and am looking forward to 23.

For anybody that played the beta, have they added more coach heads?

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Madden 23

Post by MizzouRah »

I'm still playing the hell out of M21, my latest a Dolphins CFM. (M21 to me is so much better than M22)

I am really looking forward to M23 and I did play the beta quite a bit, but I never really looked to see if they added more coaches sorry.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

The fact that penalties still don't work and it's an intentional design choice makes me less likely to buy it day one unless I get a deal.

Axis Football 2023 looks like a good alternative as well
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Isn’t Madden on Gamepass this year??? Thought I heard that.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

I dont think it's on gamepass this year day one release. you'll get the 10 hours.

No interest in madden for me the last 3-4 years. it's just a rehashed game now. lot of things don't work for years and EA doesn't care about fixing anything.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Lancer wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:04 pm
I dont think it's on gamepass this year day one release. you'll get the 10 hours.

No interest in madden for me the last 3-4 years. it's just a rehashed game now. lot of things don't work for years and EA doesn't care about fixing anything.
I haven’t used my ten hours of free play time in the past five years. Just not fun anymore. Clearly I’m in the minority cuz it sells every year. Oh well. Old age is a b*tch.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:46 am
Lancer wrote:

I haven’t used my ten hours of free play time in the past five years. Just not fun anymore. Clearly I’m in the minority cuz it sells every year. Oh well. Old age is a b*tch.
Thing is when it launches it is usually decent and then they ruin the game with patched for the tourney guys. I just can't stand penalties not being in the game.

Be nice to see what the college game looks like in 23 though.
Follow Me on:

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Think I’m going to roll with Axis Football 23 . It finally looks justifiable for purchase.
I’ve been tempted to buy a copy of NCAA 13 or maybe NCAA 10 to hold me over until next July.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I haven’t bought the game in a few years. The 10 hours has been enough for me.

But that’s mainly because I have always enjoyed playing other people, particularly friends. Vs. CPU just always ends up being too dry and somehow boring for me. Maybe it’s more in my mind than for real, but I end up feeling more like I’m solving a puzzle or looking for semi-exploits or holes in the AI rather than feeling like it’s a game of football. Whereas, against a well-matched human opponent, especially one I have a history with, it feels much more like simming real football. For some reason, with FIFA this isn’t quite as bad an issue for me. It’s still there to some extent, but maybe it’s the nature of play-calling and that whole “rock-paper-scissors” aspect of football versus the constant, free motion of soccer where playing v. CPU just fails for me.

And now with the time difference, playing people online like we used to in the old 360 days just won’t be happening. I’d like to like it. I think they’re trying hard to make a really good game, albeit probably catering too much for the tourney crowd while also looking to cash in with ultimate team in an unhealthy for gameplay way, but I do think they’re making a good football game at the core. But I just can’t play it for long without someone (non-random) to play against.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

The EA trial is out..I’m enjoying the hell out of it
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Lancer wrote:

Neither have I... I've probably got at least 3 hours of play time remaining on Madden 22. I think part of it is I'm getting older, but it also just seems to lack 'soul' for the lack of a better word. Seriously, I can still play a full collegiate season in NCAA 14, on my XBox 360, but can't get a quarter of the way through a season Madden 20, 21, and 22 in free play time. I keep hoping they'll do something to change my mind. I'll give this one a go, but honestly, I'm not terribly excited about it right now.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:38 pm
dbdynsty25 wrote:
Lancer wrote:

Neither have I... I've probably got at least 3 hours of play time remaining on Madden 22. I think part of it is I'm getting older, but it also just seems to lack 'soul' for the lack of a better word. Seriously, I can still play a full collegiate season in NCAA 14, on my XBox 360, but can't get a quarter of the way through a season Madden 20, 21, and 22 in free play time. I keep hoping they'll do something to change my mind. I'll give this one a go, but honestly, I'm not terribly excited about it right now.
Same here. Last 4 years even w/ the 10 hours I didn't care because I know the game will be the same.

But I was watching Twitch last night and it sort of rekindled a fire within me to try the game now. Maybe now they put Madden back on the cover it feels more nostalgic.

I'll go ahead and download and use my 10 hrs.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Impressions of playing for 1-2 hours :

Graphics have been improved a lot. Game looks great. There is some option before you start to have better graphics or better performance. I picked graphics.

One nitpick is in night games, seems like the lighting isn't as good as previous years but maybe I just haven't played in the right environment at night. There seems to be a dark filter. Maybe it's just me.

Presentation is really improved too. Maybe the best I've seen for next gen. Madden.

Gameplay - The game just seems to suck the energy out of me. Gameplay seems very similar. I couldn't get into the Xs and Os but just high level feels very boring playing the game single player. Plus I did MUT when I started and those single game challenges really were a bore to play.

I won't be buying it and probably no longer going to play the 10 hours. I remember last 2-3 seasons when the real NFL kicks off, Madden comes out for a free weekend for the consoles. If you don't have EA Play or Gamepass, I'd just wait a few more weeks for that free weekend if you want to try it.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Lancer wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:52 pm

Graphics have been improved a lot. Game looks great. There is some option before you start to have better graphics or better performance. I picked graphics.

One nitpick is in night games, seems like the lighting isn't as good as previous years but maybe I just haven't played in the right environment at night. There seems to be a dark filter. Maybe it's just me.

Presentation is really improved too. Maybe the best I've seen for next gen. Madden.

Gameplay - The game just seems to suck the energy out of me. Gameplay seems very similar. I couldn't get into the Xs and Os but just high level feels very boring playing the game single player. Plus I did MUT when I started and those single game challenges really were a bore to play.

I won't be buying it and probably no longer going to play the 10 hours. I remember last 2-3 seasons when the real NFL kicks off, Madden comes out for a free weekend for the consoles. If you don't have EA Play or Gamepass, I'd just wait a few more weeks for that free weekend if you want to try it.
I will say the intro to the game/training game is good if you are into the NFL history/Madden as a person. I think it is worth downloading just to play that one game.
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Zlax45 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:29 pm
Lancer wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:52 pm

I will say the intro to the game/training game is good if you are into the NFL history/Madden as a person. I think it is worth downloading just to play that one game.
Yes I agree. That Madden All Star game part was so awesome. It really got me pumped for the game and brought back a lot of good old memories of madden games in the past.

I am interested in trying out online vs someone here, not a random. PM me if anyone here wants to play a friendly game online.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

This game has a lot of potential but it still plague by the same game play crap of the past. Top Tier QB's are way to accurate, interceptions happen at a very high rate, fatigue in game seems no existent, I ran David Montgomery for 27 touches in 3 straight games and he wasn't subbed out once. Virtually No penalties aside from roughing the QB. The biggest one to me is the DB AI for the CPU is way better than the AI for your team, almost as if they want you to control the defenders. This is easily seen if you stock a team with all the top tier DB's and go into practice mode and switch from offense to defense.

The new passing system is just too much work for me for very little gain IMO.

At least the kick return game has improved to the point of lanes opening up.

The CPU AI seems better to me.

It's just hard to get excited about a game when you're playing a Rodger or Mahomes and they are going to go 26-28 because your DB's seem intentionally nerfed.
Follow Me on:

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

I messed w/ the camera angles last night to make the game feel fresh. I did the overhead angle on offense and the zoomed in one on defense.

I tried to play the Bears and they were s***. The offense couldn't do anything. This is on All Pro. Then I played some preseason game as the Chargers vs the Rams. I did much better with the Chargers. I was actually having fun playing madden!

Madden's big fault for years was ratings didnt matter. Maybe they do now or it's just a placebo affect.

Word of advice : avoid MUT. It just kills any fun. This year I can't even play MUT online until I have a level 3 rating. I have no idea how to even get to level 3. I'm on level 2 and no way i'm doing those stupid offline challenges that are so boring and energy sucking.

I did a online H2H game w/ a random. I used the Titans because I like to run the ball. But the opponent was going for it on 4th and 26 and never punted but I understand that's how people play Madden now. It's not football online anymore. I guess it's smart to just go for it on 4th and forever. Also every play the guy did was a pass and no huddle. His defense was always pass D so i kept running and getting big yards with Derrick Henry. I probably wont ever play this mode again.

So I haven't really commited myself to madden in about 3 years so this feels a little more fresh for me. I'll use a good or decent team and see if I enjoy the game in franchise. Just don't use a s*** team like the Bears if you want to have fun offline.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Having a blast, but almost exclusively because of the freeform passing and MUCH improved pass rushing.

I haven't seen a CPU QB complete almost everything on me. Usually they're scrambling for the hills because Crosby and Chandler Jones are closing uber-quickly. I think the most I've had is Mahomes go 70% in week 3 of the franchise season, and a lot of those were dink and dunks and quick passes designed to beat the rush. Kyler Murray was a disaster, throwing 6 picks and a lot of them were just ducks he was tossing up into coverage without me doing anything (I almost always play DL or MLB).

But what's the most fun is how absolute crap I am at throwing the ball. I've thrown something like 37 picks in 3 preseason games and 5 regular season games. I'm trending downward, but the "mash the button to throw the ball when pressured" is a sure-fire way to throw it about 10 yards off target and and instant INT. I started the season 2 TDs and 13 INTs in 2 games. I'm "down" to 1 or 2 per game but almost all of those are my fault.

For the first time in 10+ years, I've had to actually pay attention to my play calls and passing concepts vs. CPU coverages, because they're so quick to jump routes that any just random "pick a play and go" means I'll probably turn it over or focus too much on one player and throw it like previous years...only to watch a DB jump the route and take it to the house.

But defensively, I've absolutely held teams to a reasonable point total (20 points, give or take), which I haven't been able to do in recent years. I'm playing full 15 minute quarters with 10 second run off so the pressure to get the play off is a little more stressful, but since you don't watch them walk to the line anymore, it's still manageable (a good 7 or 8 seconds on the clock to audible/check/hot route/whatever).

Combined with the LT "360 cuts" or whatever gimmick they're calling it this year, I don't know how anybody can say this feels the same unless they're not using the new features at all, and then it will just be lots of interceptions by the CPU and same ol' same ol' as a player.

Not at all what I'm seeing with this, but no news there.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Also...didn't even expand on this...the "freeform passing" allows you to control placement and accuracy. I have found I bullet the ball WAY too much, especially when facing pressure.

If you have the skill based passing set to placement & accuracy, a bullet has a much higher inaccuracy chance. Combine that with the rush and throwing without your feet planted, and you'll sail some balls 8 yards off target. Usually a couple times per game.

But as I've started to get more used to it, I've been throwing back shoulder throws to Davante in tight 1 on 1 windows. Leading Waller out on out routes. Throwing swing routes where the RB catches the ball UPFIELD at full speed, turning wheel routes or spot routes into instant yardage chunks.

Using the L2/LT button to cut off each foot has been crazy good for the running game, but I suck at one on one defense. So I generally just square up and hope help gets there (they usually do).

I want to say my AVERAGE score on 15 minute quarters on just regular old All-Pro has been about 27-20, with me clinging to a lead late in a game and hoping I can just get those 3 or 4 yards per rush to close a team out.

Then I bobble something, give up a big catch in cover 1 or something, and the CPU gets right back in it quickly.

Very few have been out of control by half time, and even when they are...usually a mistake or two by me lets the CPU right back in it.

Who knows, glad I'm seeing what I'm seeing though.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

More I play more I like. I see you get $15 bucks back at BB for preordering. I guess I have before midnight. I got some BB rewards money that is expiring as well so may go ahead and get the physical copy so I can sell it later when it's free on gamepass in Feb.

--

i really like how challenging the passing is now. I think Ive got a good groove going and like older madden games I got it figured out but this year you make a slight late pass it'll get int.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

TCrouch wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:13 pm
I haven't seen a CPU QB complete almost everything on me. Usually they're scrambling for the hills because Crosby and Chandler Jones are closing uber-quickly. I think the most I've had is Mahomes go 70% in week 3 of the franchise season, and a lot of those were dink and dunks and quick passes designed to beat the rush. Kyler Murray was a disaster, throwing 6 picks and a lot of them were just ducks he was tossing up into coverage without me doing anything (I almost always play DL or MLB).
I'd be happy top record some games and show you since you don't believe me for some reason. Mahomes went 33-37, Rodgers 23-25 for 405 yards btw. As I said top tier QB's are way too accurate, I played Tray Lance and he was at like 55% and missed throws all over the place.
Follow Me on:

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Good Madden 23 review - he's pretty dead on - I am still liking it because of the fact I have more control over the players in 23. Also, I am a graphics whore and love the way it looks.

https://youtu.be/uTgsMSTyGQE

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

The game seems to play better in Play Now mode than Franchise to me. It also seems like the sliders don't work at all. I've also encountered several bugs. Auto sub doesn't work for the starters on your depth chart but if you switch a players position mid game then it kicks in and works. I had two games where the kick returned fumbled and it was a clear fumble and recovery over turned and the weirdest bug of all, I'm playing the Giants in franchise and there is no sound at all, the Giants QB comes out in a red practice jersey, I quit the game and then I can no longer play it. Wasn't an option, I had to advance the week.
Follow Me on:

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Danimal wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:01 pm
The game seems to play better in Play Now mode than Franchise to me. It also seems like the sliders don't work at all. I've also encountered several bugs. Auto sub doesn't work for the starters on your depth chart but if you switch a players position mid game then it kicks in and works. I had two games where the kick returned fumbled and it was a clear fumble and recovery over turned and the weirdest bug of all, I'm playing the Giants in franchise and there is no sound at all, the Giants QB comes out in a red practice jersey, I quit the game and then I can no longer play it. Wasn't an option, I had to advance the week.
I have just played PLAYED NOW or whatever they call it when you have the real life week's games you can play. It is very enjoyable to play this mode. I tried to start a franchise but it felt like a chore.

But gameplay is pretty good especially the passing is not easy anymore. The running is rewarding too. I see myself playing PLAY NOW when the real season starts to play some of the bigger games weekly on the NFL schedule.