NHL 23

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: NHL 23

Post by tjung0831 »

If you’re looking for a hockey fix…pretty fun game on Steam. Not out yet but they do have a demo
Tape to Tape hockey. Very NHL94 like …game looks and plays great.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1566 ... e_to_Tape/
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

tjung0831 wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:48 pm
If you’re looking for a hockey fix…pretty fun game on Steam. Not out yet but they do have a demo

work on the steam deck?

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Sudz wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:43 am
tjung0831 wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:48 pm

work on the steam deck?
honestly no clue on that but I don't see why it wouldn't.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

NHL 23 10 hour trial is out....bout to check it out here in a few
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Haven't played a full game of NHL in years...fired it up this morning, and wow. Whomever is on the production and graphics portion of the game has done an incredible job. More than any other sports game, they nail the presentation and graphics. Need to dig more into it in the 10 hour trial but it was quite a first impression and experience.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:24 pm
Haven't played a full game of NHL in years...fired it up this morning, and wow. Whomever is on the production and graphics portion of the game has done an incredible job. More than any other sports game, they nail the presentation and graphics. Need to dig more into it in the 10 hour trial but it was quite a first impression and experience.
its same as last year. I didnt like last years bec so many icons and it so busy. and they have that stupid faceoff circle graphic which looks like a cd from the 1990s.

Last years game was the worst nhl in many years. it was so slow to play. so far i played one game and it seems a little faster. but still slow.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Lancer wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:21 pm
dbdynsty25 wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:24 pm
its same as last year. I didnt like last years bec so many icons and it so busy. and they have that stupid faceoff circle graphic which looks like a cd from the 1990s.

Last years game was the worst nhl in many years. it was so slow to play. so far i played one game and it seems a little faster. but still slow.
Oh I turned the icons and graphics off immediately. Cleans it up nicely.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

I played some more and the pace I like much better than last years game. But I think they had it perfect in NHL 20.

Scoring goals is a lot more difficult. It seems like rebounds and shots from the blue line have a better chance of going in.

So far I am positive about this game but after last year anything would have been better.

I only play Versus 1on1 and some HUT so I'll probably wait til next spring when its on gamepass.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Dragons, I am back in town, look forward to some games on Thursday and of course over the weekend.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I'm not sure what's going on at EA. Is it lack of programmers?

The big presentation update only has 6 teams with intros, 6 are you kidding me? The removed the full presentation option as well.

The only thing I enjoy in the trial is the crowd improvements, seems like 22.5 to me as far as franchise goes.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

MizzouRah wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:48 am

The big presentation update only has 6 teams with intros, 6 are you kidding me? The removed the full presentation option as well.

The only thing I enjoy in the trial is the crowd improvements, seems like 22.5 to me as far as franchise goes.
what mode?

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Lancer wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:18 am

what mode?
Franchise
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

MizzouRah wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:02 am
Lancer wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:18 am

what mode?
Franchise
I haven't plaeyd franchise in like 10 years. Is it any good? I like season mode but it seems like whenever I try it it's the same as 10 years ago. The games all feel the same.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

MizzouRah wrote:
Try lack of competition.

EA can mail it in any year it wants, and there is no rival game to pick up lost customers. And EA knows most sports gamers are lemmings and will buy the new title for their favorite franchise(s) every year, even if there's zero innovation in the game.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

pk500 wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:56 am
MizzouRah wrote:
Try lack of competition.

EA can mail it in any year it wants, and there is no rival game to pick up lost customers. And EA knows most sports gamers are lemmings and will buy the new title for their favorite franchise(s) every year, even if there's zero innovation in the game.
This is probably true. Plus hockey is still a niche sport so why would EA throw a lot of money at the development of a franchise that doesn't sell all that much to begin with?
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Can't score in this game. About to delete it.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

At Simulation settings, happy to report NHL 23 plays the most realistic game of offline hockey of any EA title in the last decade.

Playing a World Juniors tournament as Team USA. Really enjoying it, with close, realistic games.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

pk500 wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:24 pm
At Simulation settings, happy to report NHL 23 plays the most realistic game of offline hockey of any EA title in the last decade.

Playing a World Juniors tournament as Team USA. Really enjoying it, with close, realistic games.
Nice to hear you're enjoying it. I'm pretty happy with the way it plays this year as opposed to the last few. There's just enough new gameplay changes, animations, etc that give the game a bit more of an organic feeling. It's nice to finally see the defensemen shoot the puck, but it's still not nearly enough. But, there does seem to be a bit more variety in how the CPU attacks which makes each game feel a little different.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The two biggest improvements for me are that the poke check actually works without incurring a tripping penalty and that the CPU team moves for loose pucks at a slower pace that's equal to the CPU-controlled players of the human team.

Still not enough penalties. Still not enough CPU D men launching pucks from the point. But NHL 23 is a single-player improvement, nonetheless.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

pk500 wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:40 pm
The two biggest improvements for me are that the poke check actually works without incurring a tripping penalty and that the CPU team moves for loose pucks at a slower pace that's equal to the CPU-controlled players of the human team.

Still not enough penalties. Still not enough CPU D men launching pucks from the point. But NHL 23 is a single-player improvement, nonetheless.
nah the pokecheck is broken. it's too over powered now. you can get away with pokechecking without any tripping penalities getting called.

Next year they'll go the other way where a even little touch on the pokecheck will be 2min.

I have not played franchise in forever but online the game is better than last years but i still have a hard time scoring.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Win or lose, I am really enjoying the online experience with the Dragons this year. While we usually have all 5 playing it, even at 4 the AI has improved a bit but I am really enjoying the skating and fast pace in this year’s gameplay.

Playing D it’s always more challenging where you have to be positionally sound in anticipating the opponent’s move, but scoring is there, some great tip-ins animation goals and other varieties.

Just wished our goalies would be less susceptible to weak rebounds. This is online.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

this game is really hard. i like it though - seems like in the past 6 mo they have tighten down gameplay. any passes in the middle get intercepted like real life.

but still cant score. goalies seem super . any advice?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Double post. Sorry.
Last edited by pk500 on Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Downloaded NHL 23 on EA Play after trying it last fall on EA Play 10-hour trial.

Sad to say post-release patches have done nothing to fix this title as a single-player game. It SUCKS, just like it has for at least the last 10 years. The AI plays nothing like real hockey.

Guess I'm spoiled by The Show.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

The Shows ruins many “sports sims” :)
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25