F1 22

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

F1 22

Post by DChaps »

F1 22 is out now in early release and I hope to try it out in VR on my Quest 2 later tonight. I am not keen on all the F1 Life stuff, but I know I don't have to do any of that. Interested to try out the new cars and updated circuits. Apparently Cross Platform play is coming at a later date, so that is disappointing that it's not available at release since they had been hyping it previously, but when it does maybe we can try a DSP F1 league? Not too many detailed reviews yet, but Tim Wheately of Race Sim Central has some first impressions.

https://racesimcentral.net/f1-22-releas ... pressions/
My review is work-in-progress, partially because I didn’t get enough days to write it up but also because I had a major issue getting part of it even running this past weekend. I generally have Steam overlays disabled and this meant I could not use F1 22 online services. Enabling Steam overlays did not work, and I had no idea why, so after trying to reinstall Steam, F1 22, and a variation of file deletions, etc, I gave up and reformatted my gaming PC. That worked. Know what the problem was? Without Steam overlay you cannot login to EA.com. Why do I have to do that? No idea. Why did it not work after I re-enabled Steam overlay before the reformat? No idea.

The cars and car physics are interesting. The cockpits and externals look good, but the driving model takes some getting used to. I have to avoid kerbs that previously were part of my racing line, and I get a ton of wheelspin or loss of grip in the rear in lower speed turns. I think this possibly makes sense, as these cars generate less downforce than 2021 cars at low speed, so the rear tires aren’t going to be pushed into the track quite so much. I also haven’t been able to get to grips with setup adjustments at all. Nothing I know seems to do what I expect it to.

The tracks I am a little bit disappointed with. Although I am very happy to see major adjustments included for Abu Dhabi, Melbourne and Catalunya, it’s enormously frustrating to see the core F1 franchise tracks yet again using models that are approaching being 10 years out of date: Spa is the obvious and known example of this.

None of the other stuff in the software interests me that much, including the “Life” features and the various road-going supercars you can drive. It just feels like a way to get microtransactions into the software in a way that doesn’t affect the core F1 gameplay, so I don’t particularly feel any annoyance about it – it just doesn’t interest me. I am disappointed, however, that we do not have any historic F1 cars yet again. Nigel Mansell was running a Codemasters F1 sim over the weekend at Goodwood in a weekend where he took his famed FW14B up the course. They must have been using F1 2020 there, I guess, because that’s the last title to include the car. The best F1 car Codemasters have ever produced was the Ferrari F2004 in F1 2020.

Official EA/F1 22 Community Forums
https://answers.ea.com/t5/F1-22/ct-p/F1-2022-en

F1 22 | Launch Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx9NgXi8nP8&t=18s

F1-22 VR IMPRESSIONS on RTX 2070 Super // Oculus Rift S
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVRkAi-iIHg

F1 22 Review - TraxionGG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0YqPQNbTlo

Is Anything New?! - F1 22 Review - RacingGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83FEx3KF50U

F1 22 Review - The Final Verdict - GamingBolt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubXthUxWQfI

Biggest Changes To F1 22 Game in 60 Seconds - Veloce
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-MLyT3Pi7E

F1 22 EVERYTHING You Need To Know! | Career Mode, Classic Tracks, Supercars & More! - Gullis Gaming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IioY8ibR_iU

F1 22 - Every Brand New Feature - TraxionGG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5MAuDhkmbo

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: F1 22

Post by Rodster »

I rarely buy games at launch especially since I have GPU but the Dualsense controller for the PS5 intrigued me so I purchased the Champions Edition today knowing that i'll be seeing F1 22 again next year on my Series X.

Overall it's much of the same as last year. The intrigue of the new cars was another deciding factor for me. The Dualsense controller does add to the immersion but it's not worth $80 for that feature. In the limited time with the cars running at Silverstone I find them to have a little understeer which is counter to the reviews I read where they produced a lot of oversteer. There's no porpoising to deal with which could have added a little bit more flavor and authenticity to the game. New this year is Marc Priestly on the Radio instead of annoying Jeff and you can switch between them.

Graphically the game still looks great in 4K on the PS5 even on an aging graphics engine. I've played F1 2021 in 4K on my PC and Series X and it's hard to tell them apart but i'm curious now that EA is involved if we might see Codemaster build and move the game to the Unreal Engine 5?

Another cool feature this year is "driver ratings" which will be updated throughout the year. So it looks like EA is bringing a Madden feature to F1 22. I'm intrigued by that if Codemasters can pull that off where you are dealing with realistic driver ratings where it might mirror and actual F1 weekend for the drivers instead of seeing Mick Schumacher running in 6th position in qualy.

I did find the AI to be a little bit easier this year so I cranked it up to 70 although the AI seems to be a little bit smarter this year when racing you. I also read there's a feature this year where the AI adapts to your skill level but I couldn't find if it was turned on. I'll need to check. The bottom line is, if you are jonesing for the latest cars, then F1 22 is a valid reason to buy now. If you don't care then wait till it's on Game Pass next year.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Solid review, Rod. Appreciate the feedback. Thanks!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

I bought 21 and played it for half an hour and shelved it. I liked it, but life got crazy. Wonder if it’s worth buying 22

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Played demo for about 20 minutes last night. Early impressions ... not much has changed with driving model.

Maybe rear end is a bit more planted while the front end may be a bit more pointy, which is weird. But the cars largely handle a lot like F1 2021. Expected in the handover from Codemasters to EA, as everyone kind of figured EA would focus on "F1 Life" and other BS game modes instead of the core product. Thankfully, the existing driving and racing engines are good.

But if I had to give my snap evaluation, I don't see F1 22 being worth $65 right now if you have F1 2021 or GamePass unless you're really jazzed for the F1 Life mode (is ANYONE?). Sure, the new cars look cool, but I drive from the cockpit cam, so I lose the full visual effect of the new designs.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Gave the trial a quick look last night. Just a couple of races and a quick look at the supercars.

This was on an XBox controller with all assists off so your experience may vary, but while the fundamental handling model is the same as it ever was, you'll notice a couple of differences. Firstly, the cars are heavier and generally a bit more reluctant to go where you're aiming them. Secondly, there is no traction.

At Silverstone in an Alpine, having mistakenly dropped anchor at the start, I spent 5 laps in the midfield trying to wrap my head around the differences. Short-shifting is essential when exiting any corner navigated in 3rd gear or lower - leaving the opening Village/Farm complex, I can still break traction in 5th gear without too much bother. With the pre-set "lower downforce" setup, Copse needs a little lift on the way in, as does Maggotts, as does Abbey unless you're dead nuts perfect with your turn in.

If you'd told me that a few weeks ago, I'd probably have thought I'd be having lots of fun. It would have sounded like a bit of a challenge, that kind of almost-but-not-quite-flat driving where you always feel like you can make a difference, like there's a bit more to find. It's not fun, though. In the fast stuff, it feels like last year only a bit more ponderous. In the slow stuff, it feels like last year only a lot more sensitive to throttle input. Neither of these things, it turns out, are all that enjoyable.

Just to muddy the waters a bit, I took an Alpha Tauri to Spa and it felt more like last year's game everywhere. Eau Rouge no longer launches you into the scenery the instant your thumb twitches a millimetre (in fact, the default setups bottom out a bit there, but in a way that just slows you down a bit, not a way that tries to hurt you) and Pouhon is a gear lower than last year, but otherwise it drives the same to me. Either I was doing it wrong last year or I'm doing it wrong this year - I'll need more play time to figure out which.

I drove a McLaren supercar of some description for a total of 3 corners, none of them revealing any particular hidden depth or excitement in how they handle, but honestly, that barely counts as an impression, does it?

I don't care about the F1 Life guff. The game really, deeply wants me to care. I also don't care about a soundtrack full of licenced EDM tracks. You might. I bet you don't, though.

So far, then, not a lot of difference from F1 2021, with the changes I can detect either being of no consequence to me or actively making me have less fun than I did last year. This doesn't make F1 22 a bad game, but with last year's offering either going cheap or on Game Pass, it does make F1 22 pretty much impossible to recommend.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

With the caveat that I had some adult beverages before trying, I similarly found the driving model difficult but un-enjoyable. A lot of time facing the wrong direction, will give it another (sober) try to see if I can wrap my head around it.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Didn't care for it sober, either. Find it odd that I can control an F1 car in iRacing much easier than I can control one in this game. Maybe it'll eventually click.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven