Sniper Elite 5

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Sniper Elite 5

Post by Teal »

The original Sniper Elite came out of nowhere for me way back on the original Xbox. I bought it on, as I remember it, as a hopeful afterthought. But it quickly grabbed me and wouldn't let go. The first time I lined up a perfect shot and got the bullet camera, I was so stoked I could barely contain myself. The sense of being a lone gunman in a sea of enemies really came through. It was very tense and very rewarding.

And I've been a fan ever since.

I loved V2, lll, and 4. Four introduced open world and was a standout for me. All I needed from 5 was a new locale and I'd be happy.

I got a whole lot more than that.

SE5 is absolutely fantastic. The open worlds return, but bigger and better. France in 1944 is a great backdrop, the best yet (I wasn't terribly enthused by 3 and the Africa campaign, but it was still good).

The AI is much better, and if they get wind of you, they'll hunt you way longer than in past iterations. The days of running and hiding in a bush for 20 seconds until they forget are over. If they hear a shot, but don't see you, it's not as long, but if they see you? Get ready to move and pray as they pressure you and pursue for a lot longer.

The best addition of new is the ability to drop into a another's campaign game as a counter sniper, hunting the player. When I see that someone has come into my game as an enemy sniper, the tension level goes through the roof. The cat and mouse game gets intense at times. The enemy sniper can instruct AI to be on the lookout and report your whereabouts. Conversely, if you're playing as Karl, you can access phones scattered around the levels to request intel on the enemy sniper's last known position. However, a crafty enemy sniper can rig a phone as a booby trap. It's just a marvelous addition.

I have only fully completed one level, but even skipping optional objectives, a level has taken me an average of well over an hour to an hour and a half to complete. Sometimes longer.

I'm about halfway through, and am already ready for a second play through, to get what I missed, do it better, start from another angle.

Oh, co-op and MP have also returned, but I haven't had the chance to jump into those yet.

I'm very, very pleased. And it's on game pass, so no excuses...
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Sniper Elite 5

Post by Diablo25 »

I finished mission 1 The Atlantic Wall. It was very rewarding. I played the MP mode “No Cross”. It’s just sniping across the map. You cannot cross over to the enemy’s side. Just get prone, hide and scope with the binoculars until you see someone. Pretty cool mode.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Diablo25 wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 6:19 pm
I finished mission 1 The Atlantic Wall. It was very rewarding. I played the MP mode “No Cross”. It’s just sniping across the map. You cannot cross over to the enemy’s side. Just get prone, hide and scope with the binoculars until you see someone. Pretty cool mode.
That's pretty much how MP has always been, and I like it that way. The gunplay other than sniping was never good enough for straight up deathmatches. But even that is greatly improved now. Maybe we can get in some co-op soon. I do wish, as you said in a text, that you could choose to enter a friend's game as an enemy sniper, but maybe they'll put that in with a patch later.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Yeah, I read that you CANNOT enter into a friends campaign. That suck because it would be fun.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

I played this game Saturday night and I looked up at the clock and it was 3am.

I love this game. It was like it was just made for me.

I was a big fan of Sniper Elite back on 360. And Loved Sniper Elite 3 on XBO.

4 just didn't do it for me. It was like more walking than action. Maybe I will go back and try it again after this one.

But 5 is great, reminds me a lot of 3. Lot of action and strategy and you can't put it down.

I also tried some of the online modes and found them fun. I suck at them but at least I knew how to play.

That AXIS Mode is cool too. I turned it on accidentally when I was doing campaign mode and some guy kept killing me. found it it was an online players and turning the mode on lets online ppl come into your offline game.

fanatic2
Mario Mendoza

Post by fanatic2 »

Agreed - amazing game.

Just in the midst of the first section (Atlantic Wall?), but glad you explained about that sniper who entered my game. Had no clue what was happening. :lol:

I'm thinking this is the type of game where you get to learn the level and even go back just to see what kind of stuff you can pull off. I'll definitely expand from my current "hide in a room until people walk by and shoot them and then stepover a pile of bodies" strategy

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Just completed the story campaign, and an now hunting Hitler. This one is at his Eagles Nest retreat in the Alps, and it rocks so far.

You know a game is good when my plans are to go right back into campaign after this and try different angles, approaches, and being sneakier. I absolutely love this thing.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Just ended Hitler. Snuck up behind him, spun him around, and jammed a dagger into his brain.

Never raised an alarm, was never seen. Took me 212 minutes. THAT was fun.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

It's tense being hunted by a sniper Jager, but when you can pull off a kill AS a sniper Jager?

Wow, that's a whole new level of fun.

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

This game is excellent! I've only completed the first two missions and both had some very intense moments. Love that the enemies will seek you out much more intently now, I am doing my best to play as stealthy as possible, but sometimes you just have to go loud!

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I've been trying to describe the feeling of the addition of the sniper Jager, and what that does to a campaign mission.

I figured it out.

The movie "Enemy at the Gates". Jude Law, Ed Harris? Yeah, that's it. You're a badass sniper, then someone comes in that might be more of a badass than you, and it immediately creates tension and a little fear.

Found out today that you can even infiltrate a co-op mission. If you can get one of the guys, the other one has three minutes to find you and avenge his partner, or you win. That creates desperation, where a mistake is more likely to happen.

I can't gush on this addition enough. It really is, in the most literal sense, a game changer.

Now they just need to allow you to find a friend online and enter their game. With your name at the top of the screen, so friends know they're being hunted by other friends...

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Teal wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:31 pm
I've been trying to describe the feeling of the addition of the sniper Jager, and what that does to a campaign mission.

I figured it out.

The movie "Enemy at the Gates". Jude Law, Ed Harris? Yeah, that's it. You're a badass sniper, then someone comes in that might be more of a badass than you, and it immediately creates tension and a little fear.

Found out today that you can even infiltrate a co-op mission. If you can get one of the guys, the other one has three minutes to find you and avenge his partner, or you win. That creates desperation, where a mistake is more likely to happen.

I can't gush on this addition enough. It really is, in the most literal sense, a game changer.

Now they just need to allow you to find a friend online and enter their game. With your name at the top of the screen, so friends know they're being hunted by other friends...
How does that Jager/Axis mode work? I think i figured it out but maybe not. I turned it off during my offline missions.

I

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Lancer, it allows someone online to "invade" another's campaign mission to hunt them as a counter sniper.

As the Jager, you can tag fellow Germans and inspect them to watch for The enemy sniper. You can get intel via phone of last known position. You can even booby trap the phone if you suspect the enemy will try to use it.

But the enemy can do most of that to you as well, and the game punishes you for camping by giving away your exact position to the enemy. You can move and go back to hidden, however.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Finished mission 3 today. Bad ass mission. This mission pushed me over the for wanting more. I’m getting better at a number of techniques and gunplay so the game is really taking off.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Diablo25 wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:49 pm
Finished mission 3 today. Bad ass mission. This mission pushed me over the for wanting more. I’m getting better at a number of techniques and gunplay so the game is really taking off.

That's a really great mission, and a huge map. I've already started over, trying to do everything differently than before, never be seen, all that. I absolutely adore this game.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Im in mission 6 and it's the hardest mission so far. Having a tough time getting thru this. But i enjoy it. I want to savor every second of this game.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

This game is digital crack. The entire Sniper Elite series is amazing. The 2 latest versions are like a mix of Splinter Cell, Hitman and MGS. Day 1 purchase * all DLC for me. I picked up Sniper Elite 2 remake the other day for like $5. It’s fun, but it’s amazing how far this series has come.

1911 + .22 conversion + silencer + 3x scope is the game changer in SE5. It’s hard to play less than 2-3 hours per sitting on this one.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

fletcher21 wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:08 pm
This game is digital crack. The entire Sniper Elite series is amazing. The 2 latest versions are like a mix of Splinter Cell, Hitman and MGS. Day 1 purchase * all DLC for me. I picked up Sniper Elite 2 remake the other day for like $5. It’s fun, but it’s amazing how far this series has come.

1911 + .22 conversion + silencer + 3x scope is the game changer in SE5. It’s hard to play less than 2-3 hours per sitting on this one.
I love how any kill shot, no matter which weapon is used, can get you the kill camera now. Surprised me the first time I shot a guy in the head with the 1911.

Like you, I've loved all of these games, but absolutely, they've just become better every iteration. And MP is dramatically improved as well.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

I'm thinking about revisiting 4 after I get done with 5. I just never got into 4. Seems like there was too much walking and not much action.

How do you all think 4 compares to 5? I just love 5 right now. Everything I wanted in a videogame and more.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I'm already having much more fun with 5 than I ever did with 4.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Finished the campaign today and was MEH on it. It was fine but happy I didn't buy it.
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Lancer wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:40 pm
I'm thinking about revisiting 4 after I get done with 5. I just never got into 4. Seems like there was too much walking and not much action.

How do you all think 4 compares to 5? I just love 5 right now. Everything I wanted in a videogame and more.
Like a lot of things in life, the OG out there tend to swear the older games were better. I have well over 100 hours into 4, and I think 5 blows it away. I was happy to pay full price plus buy the dlc on day 1. 4 is also an awesome game, and I fully recommend it. If you want to see where the series came from, I picked up the SE2 “remake” on PS store for like $5.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

fletcher21 wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:26 pm
Lancer wrote:

Like a lot of things in life, the OG out there tend to swear the older games were better. I have well over 100 hours into 4, and I think 5 blows it away. I was happy to pay full price plus buy the dlc on day 1. 4 is also an awesome game, and I fully recommend it. If you want to see where the series came from, I picked up the SE2 “remake” on PS store for like $5.
I really enjoyed 3 and 5 seems more like 3 to me. 4 was not even sniper elite to me. it was like 1/3 sniper elite and 2/3 some other mix of games. Not sure what they were trying to do. But very happy with 5.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fletcher21 wrote:
Lancer wrote:

Shame you had to pay. SE 5 has been part of Xbox Game Pass since release day. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

pk500 wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:07 pm
fletcher21 wrote:
Lancer wrote:

Shame you had to pay. SE 5 has been part of Xbox Game Pass since release day. :)
I’ve been looking for a new Xbox to no avail. Harder to find than a sober nascar fan 😆