So Cal People ....

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

So Cal People ....

Post by Lancer »

Got a lucrative job offer in Riverside CA. Those in So Cal, good place to move? I see the home prices aren't as expensive as Orange county and it's not too far from OC. I'm sure the traffic sucks like all over So cal but any insights about the city that I won't get from youtube?

I hear it's a boring suburb but that's fine with me. I'm an old man now and the comforts of home and playing video games is the best partying I'll ever get to do at my age.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: So Cal People ....

Post by greggsand »

Moved here from southern IL in 96 and never looked back (currently Sherman Oaks). Love it here. Has all the problems you’d expect in a big city (homeless crisis, traffic, crazy real estate fluctuations), but the great stuff still outweighs it. Good luck!
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

It's a boring suburb for sure. Not really close enough to all the sports stadiums (50 miles or so, kind of in between LA and Anaheim) to make them a common occurrence. I'm about the same distance away from LA (just north) and on a weekday you're looking at a 90 min. commute minimum for the most part. Sherman Oaks - a lot more doable at about 20 miles...so Greg has it good. LOL.

I mean...it's Riverside - no one aspires to live there in So. Cal - you just end up there really. And in your case, a lucrative job is taking you there. Just keep in mind, even tho housing may be cheaper than Orange County - all the other sub par California perks still apply. Horrible homeless issues right now, high taxes, ridiculous gas prices (7 dollars), and a horrible Governor that can't figure out how to utilize the states resources. I still will never leave this state, most likely, so all my complaining is really just that, complaints. Still can't beat the weather for the most part...tho Riverside is inland, so not sure of their temp profile.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

great - thanks guys. I'm in SF Bay area so I think the homelessness and other problems are worse here than down in southern cal. But the cost of living seems to be a little less in So Cal so thats a big deal for me.

I just don't want to commute far from work especially w/ the traffic down there. So if I do take the offer, considering getting a place to live not too far away so looking at Riverside. I'm sure it has good/bad neighborhoods like every other city but if it's normal surburbia, then I think I'll like it.

I am planning to fly down there to visit in April just to get a feel of the place.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Lancer wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:17 pm
I'm in SF Bay area so I think the homelessness and other problems are worse here than down in southern cal.
Oh just wait till you see LA...it's gotten exponentially worse in the last 2 years w/ covid. Literally all of the freeways are littered with homeless encampments, every overpass has a community. It's startling driving down there. Hell, even in my area, there's an entire river beds and canals that are full of the homeless. You're right tho, the cost of living will be significantly less than the Bay Area in Riverside. Keep the expectations low, and the potential job income high and you'll be all good. :)

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

What part of Riverside is the job? I'm in Corona its a nice City. Riverside gets a bad rap lots of nice new and older Suburbs.
I wouldn't worry about traffic you would be going against it pretty much wherever you settled.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

I'm in San Diego and Riverside isn't too far away and traffic into SD isn't bad depending on the time of day.

Palm Springs and Big Bear are nearby.

If travelling into LA often, then UGH.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Visited Riverside over the weekend. Really nice suburb. Stayed near Moreno Valley around the malls.

But ya. Your typical suburb. Liked it. Ppl were friendly and ……… THEY GOT A PORTILLOs HERE!!!!! There goes my diet. Back to my Chicago eating habits 30 yrs ago - f*** I’ll just admit it - I went there for Lunch and dinner all 3 days. I couldn’t control myself. Docs going to be pissed but you live only once right?

I see there is UC Riverside as well. My kid will be going to college next year. How is UCR ? She is maybe more of a fit for a smaller school but if we move down here it would be very convenient.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

So why is there a car chase here every single day? This does not happen in other major cities. Do people think they're in some kind of movie? I am seriously asking. I think since Hollywood is so big here people actually live life like they think they're in a movie.

A few days ago a Raiders Jersey lunatic drove all over so cal with an automatic weapon shooting at cops multiple times. They news had it live via copter. Did this guy actually think he would jump a bridge, fly out of the car, and escape like in the movies?

It's really comical.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Hey, it's a feature, not a bug! We love our car chases.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

greggsand wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:44 pm
Hey, it's a feature, not a bug! We love our car chases.
Completely agree.

The reason there is a lot is because a lot of them get away. Seriously. I know if I got into a chase, I've got a legit strategy. LOL.

I've got a group text of about twelve people that follow these things, they really are a nightly occurrence. We have alerts on our phones when the new stations go live because 9 times out of 10, it's to cover a chase.

Southern California is really a whole different world than the rest of the United States.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:56 pm
Southern California is really a whole different world than the rest of the United States.
Not to mention car fires. I saw more blazing cars on the freeway roadside in the six months I lived in SoCal in 1993-94 than I've seen combined for the rest of my 57+ years on this planet.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425