Elden Ring

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Elden Ring

Post by Danimal »

I'm reading all this praise and I think I'm, playing a different game. I wandered out of the start area without a clue where to go so I pick a direction and a giant tree thing kills me. I go another direction and kill a boar and some clueless guys with torches then something else big kills me before I can even turn around to see what it is.

The map doesn't really fill in as I move, I walk to what I think is structure it is just ruins with no entrance but the map is still just showing the places I've been. I gather some resources, game says I can craft with them maybe it will tell me how at some point. I kill a deer, I get bones umm ok. Oh look is that a village, let me try and get down there. Oh no danger music... I turn just in time to catch a glimpse of I think the tree thing but my body is flying through the air. I stand up, camera is facing the wrong direction...my body flies through the air again and I'm dead...again.

Add to that after the patch (PC) I am experiencing lag every 2 minutes and I'm about to just go back to Lost Ark.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Yeah it's definitely not something that explains anything to you. You find a map by any 'pylon' you see on the grayed-out-area of a map. It will always show on the undiscovered map so you know where to go get the actual map of the area.

You have to buy the crafting kit from the first merchant you stumble across to craft.

Definitely requires you to be aware of everything around you. There is no walking-into-a-camp-without-scouting-it-first.

I just read a link that explained it perfectly...it's not necessarily more approachable. It's just more sensible with your time.

It will never hold your hand or explain anything to you, though. I checked every square inch of everywhere I went, for fear of missing something. Hidden passages, loot under crates you destroy, farming guys to level up a bit or use that next piece of loot that dropped.

In general, you stick to the south of the map before you go exploring a bunch, but yeah...if you're just going from point to point dying and not even seeing what killed you...it probably won't get any better for you.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Yeah I get it doesn't hold your hand but a general clue in which direction to head would of been nice. I've been heading due north so maybe that is the problem.
Follow Me on:

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

It shows you the yellow line from any grace point to the direction of the next main goal, but I wouldn't follow that. Most of the game is just exploring and making your character stronger. No real direction to go for that. I just went a little further out each time, cleared a camp, rested....went back and cleared it again. Learned attack patterns, etc.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Games is definitely growing on me. I found a camp and cleared it, found some stair sdown and got mauled by rats. Cleared the camp again and again, hoping to level at some point.

Saw another camp and made my way towards it when a giant ass Dragon swoops down and lands in the camp. I was able to sneak away but good Lord no way I could tackle that thing. I'm not a big fan of grinding, especially when I have to sneak by things that can one shot kill me to get to the s*** I can beat but I'm warming up to it.

I think I need to watch a guide or something though.
Follow Me on:

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

This is what set me off on the right foot from the beginning. I basically did this loop early on, which made the rest of the game much less soul-crushing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx9IsK8qhg4

It basically gets you a +4 weapon, a few flasks and upgrades them to +2. Then I got started "for real" and it was significantly less daunting.

The hardcore guys would be like "noooooo you suck!" but I never could get into Souls games for the long term, so I needed to do something different. After a dozen hours or so, this has finally "clicked". I made one pass at a nasty worm-like-boss-in-a-cave like 15 times before I finally beat it, and didn't get so frustrated that I wanted to quit.

Just on to the next challenge.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

TCrouch wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:08 pm
This is what set me off on the right foot from the beginning. I basically did this loop early on, which made the rest of the game much less soul-crushing.

It basically gets you a +4 weapon, a few flasks and upgrades them to +2. Then I got started "for real" and it was significantly less daunting.

The hardcore guys would be like "noooooo you suck!" but I never could get into Souls games for the long term, so I needed to do something different. After a dozen hours or so, this has finally "clicked". I made one pass at a nasty worm-like-boss-in-a-cave like 15 times before I finally beat it, and didn't get so frustrated that I wanted to quit.

Just on to the next challenge.
That has me debating picking this one up after I finish Horizon: FW

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

TCrouch wrote:

Lordy that is a lot to remember. :-)
Follow Me on:

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

TCrouch wrote:

I would not say you suck to anyone getting any help to get their souls adventure started. Not at all. I would advise it. Especially that with Souls games that help will basically only get you off on the right foot. You still have to defeat all those beginning game enemies by yourself and it wont be easy.

That boss you kept fighting is supposed to kill you. It is the purpose of its existence. I fought one progression mandatory boss last night for at least an hour til I finally got him.
I had fought him the other night to no avail so I played a few more hours yesterday. I backtracked and did some more exploring, I went through a few of caves/ dungeons, killed a couple of optional mini bosses , I leveled a little and got some new gear.
I went back all ready to rock and roll but I still repeatedly got my ass kick til he eventually got tired of me and let me win. Even better geared, higher leveled and lucky with that last fight going near perfectly for me I still almost blew it at the end. So close to snatching defeat from victory as I have done so many times in Soulsland...That victory was a huge f*** OFF! moment . Sigh of relief? thrill of victory? or both?...This game has those moments over and over again.

I have died in this game more over this last weekend than playing through the entirety of last 3 Assassins Creed games combined. I just accept it as part of the game because it is the way the game is designed. To kill you.

Over 75 hours in and I love it. Suspense, chill and thrills. Love it!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Can someone explain summons to me? I mean I know you can play co-op is that what a summons is? Because I saw a video where a guy had 3 spirit like wolves helping him and I'm not sure how that works. I'm slowly trudging along, just a bit aimless but I keep coming back for some reason.
Follow Me on:

TheTruth
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TheTruth »

Danimal wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:04 pm
Can someone explain summons to me? I mean I know you can play co-op is that what a summons is? Because I saw a video where a guy had 3 spirit like wolves helping him and I'm not sure how that works. I'm slowly trudging along, just a bit aimless but I keep coming back for some reason.
Have you gotten your horse yet? If so, teleport back to the church of Ellah where the ‘Santa’ vendor is and where the guy points you to go at the very beginning of the game. As soon as you load in you should have a ghost like female named Renna sitting on a wall that wants to talk to you. She will give you a spirit bell and your first summons which is the 3 wolves. You can find others out in the world by defeating, talking to people , etc. Bind your summons to the ‘y’ plus a dpad direction. Or google spirit ashes in elden ring.
[b]Xbox Live Gamertag:[/b] [color=red]HOGZ TheTruth[/color] Wii: 7256 9991 5571 9701

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

If you miss the first appearance of Renna, you can buy the summon bell and the wolves from the creepy vendor lady in Roundtable Hold. It's like the difference in spending 1,500 runes instead of getting it for free, though.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Got it thanks guys.
Follow Me on:

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

How is this as an RPG? Do you start to feel invested in your character/story or is it simply build yourself up and fight stuff.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Sudz wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:05 pm
How is this as an RPG? Do you start to feel invested in your character/story or is it simply build yourself up and fight stuff.
Honestly I couldn't tell you what the story or objective is other than beating the next boss. Others may know more.
Follow Me on:

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

Sudz wrote:
I think it is a solid RPG. The loot drops are excellent. You get some of the same items killing similar enemies, but you don't always get something. When you do get a new piece, your do feel rewarded.

I recently came across a new area of the map I've been wanting to explore. That is what I like best about this game, all the different areas to explore!

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

AcemanPR wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:18 pm
Sudz wrote:
I think it is a solid RPG. The loot drops are excellent. You get some of the same items killing similar enemies, but you don't always get something. When you do get a new piece, your do feel rewarded.

I recently came across a new area of the map I've been wanting to explore. That is what I like best about this game, all the different areas to explore!
Thanks!! Appreciate it.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I have a serious love / hate relationship with this game. I detest having to clear the same camp over and over to get strong enough to kill a boss. So far I'm 1-45 against anything bigger than me. There has to be more to do early on then the same 3 or 4 camps.
Follow Me on:

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Danimal wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:12 am
I have a serious love / hate relationship with this game. I detest having to clear the same camp over and over to get strong enough to kill a boss. So far I'm 1-45 against anything bigger than me. There has to be more to do early on then the same 3 or 4 camps.
Not sure what you mean. You can go anywhere you want for the most part. If a boss looks to be too much, just blow by them. Once I got the hang of the controls and a horse, I just wondered around as much of the map as possible. Turns out, it’s MASSIVE.

I never play games like this and love it. Such an odd, yet fascinating, game.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

greggsand wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:29 am
Danimal wrote:
Not sure what you mean. You can go anywhere you want for the most part. If a boss looks to be too much, just blow by them.
Well sure you can go wherever but things kill you. Also natural landmarks kind of funnel you unless I am seriously missing something.
Follow Me on:

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Danimal wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:11 pm
greggsand wrote:
Danimal wrote:
Not sure what you mean. You can go anywhere you want for the most part. If a boss looks to be too much, just blow by them.
Well sure you can go wherever but things kill you. Also natural landmarks kind of funnel you unless I am seriously missing something.
I played for 4 hours last night and gained only 1 XP point. I fell down into some ravine and got dumptrucked by some skeletons. no way I could go back and get my shards.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Sudz wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:17 pm

I played for 4 hours last night and gained only 1 XP point. I fell down into some ravine and got dumptrucked by some skeletons. no way I could go back and get my shards.

I have now played over 100 hours of this game and that sounds more like my NHL World of Chel experience this last weekend than My many hours with Elden Ring.
Falling into a dark chasm and getting steamrolled by a bunch of skulls with no chance of getting our souls back was the Ice Dragons recent playoff hockey experience for sure.
greggsand wrote:
I just wondered around as much of the map as possible. Turns out, it’s MASSIVE.

I never play games like this and love it. Such an odd, yet fascinating, game.
Massive odd and fascinating are all correct.
These Fromsoft Souls games are their own f***ed up crazy beautiful thing and this one is so many times over bigger than all the previous games.

Cannot over state how much fun I am having with this game. It is a Souls players dream.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

i am still getting F'd up by everybody in this game aside from the monkey looking guys and the zombie dudes.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I get so mad at this game because it is just unfair at times and I turn it off and then go back an hour later. My wife is on her PC behind me laughing.

I was clearing out some ruins, a ton of soldiers and some other creature (wish their was an in game beastiary) and I got 3 to kill this one guy near a cliff face and some Giant Bear bursts out of the wall or ground, honestly I don't know because I was dead 15 second later.

Or I find this thing in the ground and it says enter xyz and I know I shouldn't but do anyway and some demon kills me.

This is the grindiest game ever but I keep coming back. I also just read it will work on my steam deck if it ever gets here. Ut-oh
Follow Me on:

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Danimal wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:18 pm
I get so mad at this game because it is just unfair at times and I turn it off and then go back an hour later. My wife is on her PC behind me laughing.

I was clearing out some ruins, a ton of soldiers and some other creature (wish their was an in game beastiary) and I got 3 to kill this one guy near a cliff face and some Giant Bear bursts out of the wall or ground, honestly I don't know because I was dead 15 second later.

Or I find this thing in the ground and it says enter xyz and I know I shouldn't but do anyway and some demon kills me.

This is the grindiest game ever but I keep coming back. I also just read it will work on my steam deck if it ever gets here. Ut-oh
I still haven't figured out how to upgrade my weapons!