Racing Season 2022 (Spoiler Alert)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Racing Season 2022 (Spoiler Alert)

Post by DChaps »

Well the 2022 season started last week with WRC at Monte Carlo with a surprise win by the legend Sebastian Loeb, but for me the racing season always starts proper with the Rolex 24 At Daytona which is in it's 60th running and started a few hours ago. 61 cars in the field across 5 classes and practically half the current or recent Indycar drivers. Very cool to see Robert Wickens on the Podium in his first race of the IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge Series. Here are some links below if you are wanting to follow the race.

IMSA LIVE TIMING & SCORING
https://livetiming.alkamelsystems.com/imsa/

RACER’s 2022 Rolex 24 At Daytona resource guide
https://racer.com/2022/01/27/racers-202 ... rce-guide/

Andy Blackmore - Official Rolex 24 Spotter Guide
https://racer.com/2022/01/26/blackmores ... -released/

The Daytona 24 and Entire IMSA Season Will Be Epic
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cultur ... l-be-epic/

IMSA Rolex 24 at Daytona Spotter's Guide: How to Tell the Five Classes Apart
https://www.autoweek.com/racing/more-ra ... a-classes/

How to Watch the 2022 24 Hours of Daytona
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3892 ... f-daytona/

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing Season 2022 (Spoiler Alert)

Post by Dave »

What a great event. The GTD Pro finish was insane, full send into the bus stop (I am not calling it the LeMans chicane) for two factory Porsche drivers.

Excited for the now-renamed GTP category next year, and the year after when we'll have a much larger field of cars at the top of the grid. One request - can we jettison LMP3 somewhere else at that point?
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Happy F1 livery launch season, chaps!

Aston Martin, or Matt Bishop at least, seem to be suggesting that their launch is going to feature something that resembles their actual car, rather than the FIA's mock-up from last year with a new lick of paint applied. We shall see, though whatever they launch tomorrow will look like something else by the time they go to Barcelona anyway.

Oh! That Barcelona test is private and non-televised, say the FIA, because it's a shakedown and shakedowns are always done privately. Aye, they are, but over a few minutes one afternoon on the Stowe circuit at Silverstone, not over 3 bloody days in Spain. This'll be nothing to do with Bahrain lobbing a wad of cash at it to get themselves rights to being an exclusive "pre-season testing" venue, I'm sure.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

GB_Simo wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:48 pm
Happy F1 livery launch season, chaps!

Aston Martin, or Matt Bishop at least, seem to be suggesting that their launch is going to feature something that resembles their actual car, rather than the FIA's mock-up from last year with a new lick of paint applied. We shall see, though whatever they launch tomorrow will look like something else by the time they go to Barcelona anyway.

Oh! That Barcelona test is private and non-televised, say the FIA, because it's a shakedown and shakedowns are always done privately. Aye, they are, but over a few minutes one afternoon on the Stowe circuit at Silverstone, not over 3 bloody days in Spain. This'll be nothing to do with Bahrain lobbing a wad of cash at it to get themselves rights to being an exclusive "pre-season testing" venue, I'm sure.
You nailed it, Adam. Twenty years ago, launch season thrilled me to no end, for two reasons.

One, the huge tobacco-addled promotional budgets allowed for some extravagant ceremonies around launches. Anyone remember when The Spice Girls played the McLaren launch in 1997, funded by West tobacco money? Who would have guessed Geri Halliwell (MMMM, tasty) would be connected to the sport for life by becoming Mrs. Christian Horner?

Two, we actually saw the cars that would race. Now, as Adam indicated, launches are nothing but livery showcases. The cars we see on stages or rotating podiums often look nothing like the vehicles we'll see on track in preseason testing or the season opener.

Yawn. Still, the Aston paint job is pretty effing trick.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Interesting....

From Mario Andretti Twitter Account
https://twitter.com/MarioAndretti/statu ... 5712135170
Mario Andretti @MarioAndretti
Michael has applied to the FIA to field a new F1 team starting in 2024. His entry, Andretti Global, has the resources and checks every box. He is awaiting the FIA's determination.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

DChaps wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:58 pm
Interesting....

From Mario Andretti Twitter Account
https://twitter.com/MarioAndretti/statu ... 5712135170
Mario Andretti @MarioAndretti
Michael has applied to the FIA to field a new F1 team starting in 2024. His entry, Andretti Global, has the resources and checks every box. He is awaiting the FIA's determination.
Hard to see it coming to fruition unless there are some deep corporate pockets behind this. His pockets aren't deep enough.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Bet on Austin Cindric to win today. Well, well, well: A blind squirrel finds a nut. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

pk500 wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:21 pm
Bet on Austin Cindric to win today. Well, well, well: A blind squirrel finds a nut. :)
I thought you said Bowman!!!
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I caught most of the last stage and found it to be your typical, idiotic plate racing with an exciting finish. Everyone walked away from crashes and the new car raced better with 40 cars than it did with half the field in the qualifying races, so that part is a big win for NASCAR. Now let's get to more normal crashes and see how this thing does.

From a broadcasting perspective, I found Fox's coverage to have less energy than the Olympics' curling coverage. Anyone else feel like the crowd noise was turned down way too much? There's no way a crowd at Daytona would be that quiet coming down the stretch. Or is something wrong with my soundbar, haha.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Diablo25 wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:04 am
pk500 wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:21 pm
I thought you said Bowman!!!
Bet on Bowman and Larson, too. But Cindric earnings more than compensated for those and other Daytona bets. I sprinkled five bets across the Beach yesterday.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:23 am
I caught most of the last stage and found it to be your typical, idiotic plate racing with an exciting finish. Everyone walked away from crashes and the new car raced better with 40 cars than it did with half the field in the qualifying races, so that part is a big win for NASCAR. Now let's get to more normal crashes and see how this thing does.

From a broadcasting perspective, I found Fox's coverage to have less energy than the Olympics' curling coverage. Anyone else feel like the crowd noise was turned down way too much? There's no way a crowd at Daytona would be that quiet coming down the stretch. Or is something wrong with my soundbar, haha.
It would be a blessing if FOX turned down the volume on Clint Bowyer. What a circus clown. If I heard him say, "Dang it," one more time when a driver crashed, I think I was going to pull an Elvis and shoot my TV.

Clint, you're not a cheerleader or a fan. You're a broadcaster. Then again, FOX Sports has been an unofficial extension of the NASCAR PR department since it got the TV contract in 2001. How many times do you hear "Dang it" and "We have to try to grow our sport" from FOX announcers? Shameful.

At least Tony Stewart was decent for his two-race stint in the booth. But it felt like either FOX muzzled him or he tried too hard to be mellow. Smoke should have let both barrels fly.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

pk500 wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:21 pm
It would be a blessing if FOX turned down the volume on Clint Bowyer. What a circus clown. If I heard him say, "Dang it," one more time when a driver crashed, I think I was going to pull an Elvis and shoot my TV.
I've only seen clips on YouTube, because I don't want to subscribe to the station that carries NASCAR here, but the act of pronouncing "Villeneuve" threatened to turn Clint's larynx inside out at least twice.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Bowyer's a huge disappointment, the combination of Fox's direction and parts of his personality has him approaching DW levels awfully quickly. Maybe he'll tire of doing it and Harvick can take his place, but to your point Fox pushes the broadcast one direction so I'm not sure anyone can save the coverage.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:04 pm
Bowyer's a huge disappointment, the combination of Fox's direction and parts of his personality has him approaching DW levels awfully quickly. Maybe he'll tire of doing it and Harvick can take his place, but to your point Fox pushes the broadcast one direction so I'm not sure anyone can save the coverage.
FOX thinks the only way to appeal to Middle America in any broadcast is to add a flag-waver MAGA troll or a corn-pone moron. It doesn't do the former in sports, but it overdoses on the latter in sports.

Just look at FOX's lineup of cackling, ah-shucks, where are Momma's grits fools. NFL -- Terry Bradshaw. NASCAR -- Clint Bowyer. College football -- Bob Stoops. I don't watch national baseball telecasts outside of some playoffs, so I can't comment. Who is FOX's MLB hillrod? There must be one.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Russian Grand Prix currently cancelled.

Good to hear.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

F308GTB wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:57 pm
Russian Grand Prix currently cancelled.

Good to hear.
F1 left the door open by saying "under current conditions." Still, the condemnation would be swift if F1 raced in Russia this year in any circumstances.

But contracts can be tough to break, and F1 loves money WAYYYYYY more than it loves its lip-service efforts to promote human rights and world peace, so there's still a tiny chance there could be a Grand Prix in Sochi this year.

I sure as hell hope not, though.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Indycar Season 2022 begins now at St. Pete - NBC 12:30pm EDT

I am super excited for this Indycar season. Lots of new names and changes. Will greatly miss Robin Miller, Ryan Hunter-Reay, James Hinchcliffe and Sebastien Bourdais , but excited to see what Kyle Kirkwood can do for Foyt and rooting big time for Conor Daly in a proper full ride in years. Below are some great links and articles to get you started for Indycar 2022!

Official Indycar Series News:
https://www.indycar.com/News

GREEN FLAG: FIRESTONE GRAND PRIX OF ST. PETERSBURG By Zach Horrall
https://www.indycar.com/news/2022/02/02 ... lag-stpete

MCLAUGHLIN CRACKS MINUTE BARRIER IN HECTIC ST. PETE PRACTICE By Paul Kelly
https://www.indycar.com/news/2022/02/02 ... e-practice

MCLAUGHLIN GRABS FIRST CAREER NTT P1 AWARD IN LAST SECOND By Paul Kelly
https://www.indycar.com/news/2022/02/02-26-stpete-quals

INTRIGUE APLENTY AS 2022 SEASON TAKES GREEN FLAG IN ST. PETE By Curt Cavin
https://www.indycar.com/news/2022/02/02 ... te-preview

Racer Magazine Indycar News:

https://racer.com/category/indycar/

PRUETT: Ready, set, IndyCar for 2022
https://racer.com/2022/02/25/pruett-rea ... -for-2022/

PRUETT: IndyCar 2022, driver-by-driver, part 1
https://racer.com/2022/02/23/pruett-ind ... ew-part-1/

PRUETT: IndyCar 2022, driver-by-driver, part 2

https://racer.com/2022/02/24/pruett-ind ... ew-part-2/

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

What an unusually clean race they gave us at St Pete.

I would very happily watch Scott McLaughlin do a lot more of that. What a wonderfully executed weekend's work, particularly during that opening stint where his reds lasted longer than everyone else's while also travelling faster. Palou continues his quest to replace Scott Dixon as my new "The Inevitable Driver X" at the front of these races, Kyle Kirkwood looked immediately at home and excuse me, Sir, who are you and what have you done with Dalton Kellett?

A friend of mine from the old f1gamers.com forum has a Twitter account he uses to spread the IndyCar gospel far and wide, or as far and wide as 840 followers permit. On Sunday morning, he posted about how glad he was that IndyCar doesn't pay points for fastest lap, so that you don't see some of the shenanigans that play out during an F1 race. That he should do so on the same day that the fastest lap went to the man finishing 21st was unfortunate.

Meanwhile, at the F1 test that wasn't a test but was in fact a shakedown lasting 3 days: some cars were fast. Some others were not. A host of media outlets attempted to draw conclusions from a week in which no sensible conclusions could be drawn, the planet continued to rotate on its axis and those of more sensible mind decided to wait until the Bahrain test that actually is a test, when the cars will doubtless all be entirely different anyway.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The only thing interesting so far about F1 testing has been the "porpoising" of the cars on the straights. Whatever team figures the cure of that first could have a technical advantage unseen in F1 since perhaps the double diffuser of Brawn in 2009.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Sad that it took a Russian invasion of Ukraine to rid F1 of the worst driver on the grid, but Mazepin is officially out. Good riddance.

EffDee
Mario Mendoza

Post by EffDee »

Heya Folks! It's Smurfy here - The guy who could never quite figure out how to stop a car into turn 1 on lap 1 in rFactor.

I just want to wish you all a happy 2022 racing season. I'll spare you from any predictions and state my hopes and fears for F1 in 2022.

First of all, for someone who doesn't make a habit of supporting Ferrari, if Hamilton can't win the championship this year I really hope LeClerc or Sainz can do it. I am very fond of both drivers. They both seem quite intelligent. I love the way LeClerc wears his emotions and is so tough on himself. I love Sainz for being so gosh darn calm. He just quietly gets the job done. I think Max is the natural successor to Schumacher and Senna. He's frightfully talented and committed, but I just don't like the way he sometimes races. It's too bad because I like his no BS approach with the media.

My fear leads me to hope we don't see any flying drain covers or curb blocks or cars taking to the air because they went the wrong way over a curb or some debris. I'm just a bit worried about this reliance on ground effect for so much of their downforce.

Enjoy.

Vroom Vroom

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Welcome back, Smurf!

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

For all the naysayers, none here on DSP, that the new cars would produce the same results as in the past may have to wait. The Bahrain GP showed that these new cars can allow for closer racing and more passing as evidence by the Leclerc vs Verstappen exchanges. That was nice to see as both cars kept each other close enough for a few successful passes during a single lap. The mid-field also had quite a bit of passes as well. As Martin Brundle noted that the DRS wasn't as much of a crutch as in years past.

It's one race but so far the F1 committee looks to have produce a car that has more entertainment value than in the last 10-15 yrs. Too soon to tell but the first race was pretty fun to watch. I'm not a big fan of Mad Max but I would have loved to see him and Leclerc duel it out towards the end.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Yep, enjoyed that. I'm not sure how much the new rules contributed to the Leclerc/Verstappen dice - that first sector has historically been good for racing - but the midfield cars definitely seemed to be following more closely and putting themselves in play for moves that weren't possible before.

It kept striking me how much better everything looks as well. This new rule set has produced a bunch of proper, purposeful racing cars and that Ferrari, painted in a proper shade of red instead of that corporate luminous colour we've got used to, is an absolute stunner.

Tell you what, though: it had nothing on the end of the IndyCar race. JoNew had one chance and seized it, Jimmie Johnson's run was hugely impressive and though it pains me to say so, Santucci The Young American did a terrific job. Scotty Mc, meanwhile, has developed the kind of ominously assured air around him that used to follow him everywhere in V8s.

Andretti, though. Yikes.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

The new F1 cars seem to race better AND IndyCar "fixed" their Texas racing, all in one weekend. What a joy it was watching those two races, I'll leave out the complete sh*t show (by design) that is the new Atlanta.

Anyone else feel like there is so much animosity and bitterness between Max & Lewis that there would have been an incident of some sort if you replaced Leclerc in that situation? Really hope Mercedes can find the half second missing from turning this into a proper 3-way battle at the top, could be a lot of fun. I agree that the Ferrari duo is very likeable.

Is the Mercedes problem more than just the chassis? It was stunning to see McLaren chugging along in 18th and 20th at the start and the Astons are also shockingly slow. Williams is still Williams, but Albon put on a great display in his return.

McLaughlin is an easy guy to root for, really excited to see him in person at Long Beach in a few weeks.