Racing Season 2022 (Spoiler Alert)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

EffDee
Mario Mendoza

Re: Racing Season 2022 (Spoiler Alert)

Post by EffDee »

I've gotta find a (cough) cable package that will allow me to watch Indycar races as well.

Although the F1 cars can run close, we still have to wait and see how the racing pans out at traditionally less exciting tracks. The tires don't seem to be doing much to change things. But I do have a question for those in the know. With the new tires, do drivers have to brake much more in a straight line now? If so, then I guess trail braking is less significant now? I wonder how that will affect the run into turn one in Barcelona? I wonder how much that hurts Ricciardo in particular?

It's not a big deal, but I'm a bit bummed out how slow the F1 cars look through the slower turns.

I wonder if Haas and Alpha Romeo can maintain their pace of development against the teams who were slower than them in Bahrain, or will they fade as the season progresses?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I'm definitely not a fan of the Miami layout. It looks like a track that won't produce a whole lot of passing. It kinda reminds me of Sochi.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

So who are your picks for the Indy 500 tomorrow? I am going with Dixon to finally get #2, but I would also love to see Johnson or TK in the mix. Just hoping for a safe race. Herta's flip yesterday was a little scary but the aeroscreen/roll bar did it's job.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

DChaps wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 8:48 pm
So who are your picks for the Indy 500 tomorrow? I am going with Dixon to finally get #2, but I would also love to see Johnson or TK in the mix. Just hoping for a safe race. Herta's flip yesterday was a little scary but the aeroscreen/roll bar did it's job.
TK or Ericsson.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

pk500 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 6:07 am
DChaps wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 8:48 pm
TK or Ericsson.
Wow, good call! What a race! Is Scott Dixon now more cursed than the Andretti's at Indy? Although it was his mistake today and not bad luck, but man it sure seemed like he had the car to beat. All those Ganassi cars were solid. Congrats to Marcus!

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

As a racing fan I would have been gutted if that late yellow/red took the victory from Ericsson. Great final stint driving and an exciting final 2 laps that kept the deserving leader out front, Much more exciting than that other open wheel race Sunday.

Who still remembers the days when Indy was only b4oadcast live on the radio and you had to wait later that day to watch the race on TV?

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

What an epic Indy 500. Ericsson got the win he deserved and we got to see him fend off O’Ward in a shoot-out as a bonus. My high school friend is now a 500-winning engineer and we happened to be seated across from the #8 pit. I also happened to hit on a $5 bet on ME

It was the first time I took my boys and they did an amazing job being glued to the event even though it was an 8-4:30 event on a warm day. Both can’t wait for next May.

But maaaaaaaan, gutted for Dixon. And Palou, but Dixon’s agony came later and was self-imposed. Dixie’s had the dominant car each year of the aeroscreen era and has managed to be hosed by a late yellow, early yellow, and a mistake of his own. Really hope we see him get #2 soon.

The flyovers were amazing, especially from our seats on the front stretch. Just hope our renewal gets us up a few row higher so we catch the shade a little sooner next year
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Apologies for the late shout, but just a quick note to let you know that if you happen to watch any of this weekend's Le Mans coverage across Discovery's network, you'll find that they've taken the world feed commentary.

No more will you recoil in horror at the realisation that these lucky competition winners are in fact professional broadcasters. Never again will you lose sleep wondering how Carlton Kirby decided that commentary was his calling, or how he kept finding people who agreed with him. Gone forever is that spell somewhere around nightfall where it ceases to be obvious that Mark Cole knows he's meant to be watching a motor race, that Chris Parsons isn't entering a catatonic state, that Tom Gaymor can take any more of this.

You still want Radio Le Mans, obviously, but if that's not a goer for you, there should be no need to throw any solid objects at your TV.

I should probably find a minute to watch Baku qualifying, figure out where I'm fitting Road America in and maybe add a post about the actual racing just for once.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Looking forward to the Canadian GP. It’s always been one of my favorite tracks in racing games. A bit anticlimactic when we already know it’s going to come down to 4 drivers, but it’ll be a good race I expect.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

https://youtu.be/tM6zLwcyu50

Not a ton of NASCAR fans in here, but this is awesome to me.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Big news last night: Alex Palou is going to drive for Ganassi and McLaren at the same time in 2023. Looking forward to the technological advances that'll make his Herculean feat possible.

Elsewhere, can Ferrari rally to win a championship they've spent 4 months doing their utmost to lose? It'll help if the car stops grenading itself, and it'll also be useful to them if the circuit staff whose role is to extinguish fire actually do so. The driving staff are clearly up for it and usefully, the car appears to be coming to Sainz just as the Red Bull begins to get away from Perez.

I'm enjoying the steady transformation of Mick Schumacher, spending his summer moving to "son of Michael" having been firmly "nephew of Ralf" during springtime. Mick is not without talent but it's taken a while to reveal itself in every category he's raced in so far - this might be the start of something.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I just have to comment on the F1 paddock's opposition to Andretti Global wanting to join the Formula 1 circus, either buying out a team or starting their own from scratch. Supposedly the head honcho in the opposition group is Toto Wolff who vehemently opposes the Andretti entry with Mario Andretti criticizing the sport as too European which caused an uproar with Gunther Steiner saying that was baseless.

But is it really? Toto Wolff's argument is the new team entry has to provide value to the sport because everyone will get less of the pie. Okay but on the other side of the argument, F1 wants to build and expand in their most important market, the US. I'm pretty sure Merc, Ferrari, Red Bull (drinks), Alfa Romeo don't view the US market as insignificant. So Toto says he has no problems with VW, Audi or Porsche all joining the sport in 2026, either buying out a team or starting their own and he hopes they enter the sport. Supposedly Honda is maybe/looking to reenter in '26 (engines) as well or at least thinking about it. So the last time I checked all those three car makers are all German. Toto has no problems with any of the three but has a problem with Andretti who Mario says they have the infrastructure and backing already in place. Could it be the current 10 teams feel threatened that Andretti Global will prove successful pretty quick seeing how they are successful in every motor sport they're involved in?

If there is an American team that doesn't provide any beneficial value is Haas Racing. It's ironic how Toto never mentioned them but he wants to exclude Andretti? Pretty odd ain't it? IMO, it has something to do with what Mario said, the sport is too European and I also think it has something to do with Liberty Media who have improved what Bernie Eccelstone started. There's way more interest globally in the Sport, the stands are now full, the racing is better because of the new cars and they now have a digital presence to watch races online. Perhaps Mario is onto something which is American resentment that Liberty Media showed Formula 1 how to properly run a sport and the last thing they want is an American racing team winning races and championships.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

The activity within this thread of late probably just about sums up the last few months of four-wheeled motorsport...

The F1 season dribbles its way to a conclusion this weekend with the big unresolved issue being that of who'll finish as the highest-placed loser. Max has used his platform to remind Red Bull's management that he runs the team. Ferrari have used half a season to remind everyone that when they succeed, it's probably by accident.

George Russell is an F1 race winner, Daniel Ricciardo used to be one of those too and Sebastian Vettel seems poised to be greater out of a racing car than he was in one. There's also Hulkenback 2: Electric Boogaloo, a move I understand Haas having made even if I don't agree with it.

I don't remember the last time Will Power had a proper off-day. Newgarden might have found Victory Lane more often but Power was always somewhere nearby in a season where few were able to say the same and one who could, the inevitable Scott Dixon, paid the biggest price for the tiniest pit speed misjudgement.

My DVR has an entire season of NASCAR highlights recorded on it. I might watch them one day. Until I do, all I have to offer is this: NASCAR needs to do something that prohibits Ross Chastain's wall ride, then name that rule after him, then rename the circuit Melonsville to commemorate what might be the greatest single thing I've ever seen a racing driver do.