Kicking the tires on a gaming handheld

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Kicking the tires on a gaming handheld

Post by F308GTB »

I think I know the answer, but I have been debating the merits of getting a switch. For context, I have skipped the last iteration of consoles and will likely skip the current. Last hardware was PS3, XB1, and Wii. I have been a happy PC gamer for the last 5+ years, building up quite the Steam library. I see 2 choices - Switch or the upcoming Steam Deck. Advantage of Switch is access to some games that will never come to PC, available now (meaning out, not necessarily in stock), and cheaper. Downside is it is late in its cycle, games are pricey compared to Steam, and many of the games I have on a Steam are on the Switch, and I wouldnt purchase again. Pros of Steam Deck is more powerful and access to much of my Steam library. Cons include not getting one probably until summer and it is an unknown commodity at this point. Who knows if it will be a bust.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Kicking the tires on a gaming handheld

Post by dbdynsty25 »

If you already have a ton of games via Steam you have two choices, play the same games just hand held, or get a new Switch with a bunch of new stuff. Seems like a silly debate really. Just get a switch. There are a half dozen games in it that are awesome that you can’t get anywhere else.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Switch. Nothing can beat their first party games.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I ordered a Steam deck but it just got pushed to Q2 2022 thanks to the mess the world is in.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

So I ended up picking up the OLED version of the Switch. Figured "why not?" I'll probably get the high-end Steam Deck as I do want to casually play my Steam library from the comfort of my couch or bed. For those multi-platform games I'll stick with the PC version as they are in general better than the console versions. But for those exclusives to Switch...

Picked up Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild as it was only $30 yesterday at Best Buy.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

F308GTB wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:11 pm
Picked up Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild as it was only $30 yesterday at Best Buy.
And that alone is reason enough to have a Switch. One of my favorite games ever...I almost played it to completion twice (first switch broke and that was before they had cloud saves)!