Marvel Guardians of the Galaxy

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Marvel Guardians of the Galaxy

Post by sportdan30 »

Anyone pick this up on sale for $30? Was unsure about this game but watched a lot of reviews. This is my surprise hit of the year. I’ve only played the first chapter but what a fun game! Game looks great visually on the Series X, has a good story, 80s music, and the dialogue is quite entertaining. 17 hour game play too.

fanatic2
Mario Mendoza

Re: Marvel Guardians of the Galaxy

Post by fanatic2 »

Just downloaded it as well! Looks right up my alley- humour, sci-fi, great dialogue, not 60 hours :)

How’s the difficulty?

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

fanatic2 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:30 pm
Just downloaded it as well! Looks right up my alley- humour, sci-fi, great dialogue, not 60 hours :)

How’s the difficulty?
I’m playing on the default difficulty and it doesn’t seem too bad. Haven’t been frustrated yet. I believe there’s a few levels above the default.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Is it the exact same gameplay and engine as The Avengers game?
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Danimal wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:42 am
Is it the exact same gameplay and engine as The Avengers game?
As I understand it, no. I never played Avengers however.

Here's some information I found from an article wccftech.com

https://wccftech.com/review/marvels-gua ... rs-anyway/

The big difference with Avengers is that this game's structure is far more traditional. While Avengers did have a story campaign, the experience felt disjointed and confusing as both main missions and multiplayer missions vied for the player's attention on the war table, creating something of an identity crisis on what that game wanted to be. In the end, neither part of Avengers was truly satisfying to play.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, on the other hand, has no such problems. It knows what it is: a single player only story-focused title, with no whatsoever distractions or idiosyncrasies. In this adaptation, the team has only been together for a relatively short time as the whole galaxy is still dealing with the aftermath of a huge war between Thanos and his Chitauri and the Nova Corps led by Richard Rider. With the Mad Titan apparently defeated, Peter Quill (Star-Lord) assembles a ragtag team and registers them as heroes for hire, looking to get rich in the process. Needless to say, the events take a completely different turn from the team's plans as they are forced to deal with a mysterious cult that ultimately threatens the entire galaxy.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Awesome thanks, I guess I am one of the few who liked the Avengers game. I'll check this one out.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Night and day difference between the games.

GotG is a story driven single player good time.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Nearing the end stages of this game having started it a bit after it came to GamePass and wow, this has been a ton of fun!! Very much an old-style single player story game - no open world, a feeling of exploration only in the sense that the game is showing you new places basically on rails, almost no choices to make outside of binary dialogue choices and a teeny bit of “which perks and skills to unlock when” (but you know you’ll get them all eventually). But for some reason, all of that is what’s so refreshing and fun about it, at least for me. Sort of like playing through a movie or something rather than the more common open-ended open-world stuff these days.

The dialogue is a lot, and often a bit cringy, but after a little while I have grown pretty attached to these characters and their little rivalries. And the voice acting is top notch. Note that I’m no comic book guy and only know the Guardians from the movies (first one I liked a lot, second one not nearly as much, but I was very happy to have them involved in the huge story told through the MCU).

I sort of wish the new Halo was a little more like this and a little less open-world. That said, combat in Halo is immediately and endlessly fun, whereas combat here is, sadly, the weakest part of the game. Just not that good and not very interesting. Not awful, just not very good.

But overall I’ve been really happy with this silly and fun character driven story game. Good stuff.