EA Sports PGA Tour Series

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: EA Sports PGA Tour Series

Post by JOZ »

The more I play, the more I dislike it. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to how the ball comes off the club. If you hook it, no idea why because all the feedback looks the same as the shot before that you sliced. Also, in two rounds of simulation (hardest)difficulty I have hit all but two fairways. That actually made sense considering my "feedback" showed a straight line and the overswing/slow were 1% or less. Of course it usually showed that on irons too, except those would go all over the place.

Biggest issue is putting. I can't tell you how many putts I have had that shows break to the right or left and the ball goes completely straight. I've had many putts that show level that sometimes end up short or fly by the hole even though I hit the little meter right on.

There just seems to be erroneous information or no information. I want a more difficult game, but I want there to be a reason it's more difficult. If I hit a bad shot, give me some indication why so I can try to correct.

Its frustrating because I feel it is very close to being good. I don't know, maybe I am missing something.

I guess I will figure out how to make 2k23 more difficult and still be fun. At least if I hook a shot I know for a fact because of the feedback shows fast tempo.

For you guys that enjoy it, awesome. Options are always great.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

That is very odd because I am seeing visual feedback on my swing path. If I slice it usually my follow through line is to the right, if I draw it then it is too the left. I'm pretty consistent with my irons but having a hard time with my driver. I also found that if you have fast tempo then the ball can go anywhere but that happens in real golf also if you're way too fast.

I have also had a few putts go straight that showed it should break haven't figured that out yet.

It seems to me the follow through is affects the swing more than the backswing.

Again I am on the PC so I can't speak to the Xbox version.

For me this will be my single player game and 2K for online societies.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

This game is Series X/S only, correct? I tried to download the trial the other night for my OG Xbox One and was denied.

Oh, well: Back to the 2K golf series!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

This game is Series X/S only, correct? I tried to download the trial the other night and was denied.

Oh, well: Back to the 2K golf series!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Danimal wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:57 pm
That is very odd because I am seeing visual feedback on my swing path. If I slice it usually my follow through line is to the right, if I draw it then it is too the left. I'm pretty consistent with my irons but having a hard time with my driver. I also found that if you have fast tempo then the ball can go anywhere but that happens in real golf also if you're way too fast.

I have also had a few putts go straight that showed it should break haven't figured that out yet.

It seems to me the follow through is affects the swing more than the backswing.

Again I am on the PC so I can't speak to the Xbox version.

For me this will be my single player game and 2K for online societies.
Are you noticing that backswing is ALWAYS slow? No matter what I do, it's always 1-2% slow. And it's impossible to see the meter and not over swing

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Yes, slow 1-3% everytime except maybe a couple in the 6 or 7 rounds that I have played . Of course I have no idea what that means since I have been over, short, left, and right on my shots.

I did have a better experience this morning playing with Koepka on Badon Dunes. Played simulation with zoom and green grid on. Also changed putting to medium since putting made no sense. There were still a couple of times where the ball did not break at all when it clearly showed decent break. But it was a better experience.

Still find it too easy to hit fairways. Don't believe I missed any during this round either

It's a decent effort from EA after the time off from golf, but 2k isn't going anywhere any time soon.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

JOZ wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:18 pm
Yes, slow 1-3% everytime except maybe a couple in the 6 or 7 rounds that I have played . Of course I have no idea what that means since I have been over, short, left, and right on my shots.

I did have a better experience this morning playing with Koepka on Badon Dunes. Played simulation with zoom and green grid on. Also changed putting to medium since putting made no sense. There were still a couple of times where the ball did not break at all when it clearly showed decent break. But it was a better experience.

Still find it too easy to hit fairways. Don't believe I missed any during this round either

It's a decent effort from EA after the time off from golf, but 2k isn't going anywhere any time soon.
My main issue with 2K is that it's absolutely impossible to spin a ball on that game. The graphics don't bother me, but the short game is so unrealistic when every wedge shot rolls out like it was a 3 iron

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I agree they do a poor job explaining things, my player is pretty stacked now with attributes which opened up a ton of shots and I have no idea what some of them do. There is no practice facility option either just the challenges which makes it hard to see what is what and yes I get slow just about every time.

I do miss my fair share of fairways with my created guy and there are a lot of things missing for me like club yardages on the screen.

Still I was just battling to make the cut at Sawgrass in my career on the Korn Ferry, went to 18 needing a part. Hit a perfect drive and then proceeded to hook the approach left into the water, doubled the hole and missed the cut by one. Just the tension in that and the announcers during the round saying he is 1 off the cut line etc. Well for me that experience and immersion is worth the warts. 2K is not a single player career mode game and after the stellar job they did in this game with announcing I'm not sure I could listen to the 2K commentary anymore.
Follow Me on:

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

PGA2K23 FREE THIS WEEKEND ON XBOX! SMART MOVE BY 2K!

--

first time playing 2k23, only had played 2k21.

Right off the bat it's so much smoother and controls are so much more reactive than EA's game.

The graphics are not on par w/ EA but they're decent.

I am surprised the game is only around 12GB. But it packs a punch.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

I tried playing EA Golf after doing a day of 2K23. At the end of the day the game is just not fun.

How ironic that the game I thought would be more casual is not EA's but rather 2k23.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

The more I play EA golf, the more I like it. I am completely used to the 30FPS now. Is 2k23 smoother? Yeah. But that's where the pros of 2k23 end. EA product absolutely annihilates 2k in presentation, graphics and most importantly, how golf is actually played. The biggest issue is spin on the golf ball, which 2k has absolutely zero ability to do. I'm sorry, but a pro golfer isn't getting run out from a wedge in real life like you do on 2k. I actually have to adjust my approach shots in EA golf to allow for the ball to back up.

EA can either fix the issues and make this the best golf game of all time, or sit on their hands and still provide a better product than 2k. Money well spent for me either way.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

To each their own. It's nice to have options like we used to on sports games.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I have played 9 1/2 hours of my Series X play trial and find myself disappointed in the game overall. The graphics are incredible, it has decent audio, the career mode is pretty well thought out, but that's where it ends for me. The most important factor for me in a golf game is the responsiveness and feel of the analog stick swing. EA Sports PGA Tour's swing feels like it's in a different time continuum than the stick to me. There's a long lag from the time you start the swing until the swing animation starts. Then once it's started, I get the sensation that I'm swinging the club underwater. It just always feels like the club is behind my stick motion and nothing I can do is going to allow them to sync.

I would love to try it on a PC that could run it at 60 FPS+, but unfortunately, I permanently damaged my CPU socket trying to upgrade my CPU last week and now have a decision to make about replacing or repairing that PC. It would have run the game at 60 FPS in 1080p, I'm fairly confident, so I would have gotten a feel for what a double frame rate might do to help it.

This will be the first golf game that's come out in 20 years that I didn't buy during launch week. With my premium on stick swing proportionality, I don't find enough in this game - at least with a 30 FPS cap on my Series X - to make me want to play it long term. When I eventually get my PC repaired or replaced, I'll try the 10 hour EA trial on it to see if 60 FPS puts it over my underwater swing threshold. I also find the putting physics well behind those of PGA TOUR 2K23's. Part of it is I can't get rid of that stupid ass putting meter!?

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I have played 9 1/2 hours of my Series X play trial and find myself disappointed in the game overall. The graphics are incredible, it has decent audio, the career mode is pretty well thought out, but that's where it ends for me. The most important factor for me in a golf game is the responsiveness and feel of the analog stick swing. EA Sports PGA Tour's swing feels like it's in a different time continuum than the stick to me. There's a long lag from the time you start the swing until the swing animation starts. Then once it's started, I get the sensation that I'm swinging the club underwater. It just always feels like the club is behind my stick motion and nothing I can do is going to allow them to sync.

I would love to try it on a PC that could run it at 60 FPS+, but unfortunately, I permanently damaged my CPU socket trying to upgrade my CPU last week and now have a decision to make about replacing or repairing that PC. It would have run the game at 60 FPS in 1080p, I'm fairly confident, so I would have gotten a feel for what a double frame rate might do to help it.

This will be the first golf game that's come out in 20 years that I didn't buy during launch week. With my premium on stick swing proportionality, I don't find enough in this game - at least with a 30 FPS cap on my Series X - to make me want to play it long term. When I eventually get my PC repaired or replaced, I'll try the 10 hour EA trial on it to see if 60 FPS puts it over my underwater swing threshold. I also find the putting physics well behind those of PGA TOUR 2K23's. Part of it is I can't get rid of that stupid ass putting meter!?

MUTTS
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by MUTTS »

I picked this up this weekend. I cant miss a fairway unless I try to draw or fade--those usually result in a double cross but I cant seem to get any feedback as to why (maybe its there, I'm just not too smart)

I really miss proper three click golf games. The one in 2k23 is wonky to me. Just give me the swing meter as it is in EA's game and let me click to start swing, click to end backswing, and click to make contact. If "my release" is early, I hook the ball and if my timing is late then its a slice. Simple as that.

My 2 cents.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I can't speak to the Xbox version but I miss fairways with my created player but not so much the pro's ion the game. This is on simulation difficulty with a lot of aids turned off.

Also just a question of curiosity for all those hitting 100% of fairways what is your typical round score?
Follow Me on:

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

In the rounds that I played I was around even. I think my highest score was +4 and my lowest was -2. This was the kind of realistic scores I was looking for, but not really the way I wanted to get there. Meaning I could hit all the fairways, but who knows from there. I could hit a good approach shot or a bad one and not have any idea why or how. Even more of this for chipping and putting.

I also don't understand why these games have gotten rid of the 3 click swing at least as an option.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

JOZ wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:02 am
In the rounds that I played I was around even. I think my highest score was +4 and my lowest was -2. This was the kind of realistic scores I was looking for, but not really the way I wanted to get there. Meaning I could hit all the fairways, but who knows from there. I could hit a good approach shot or a bad one and not have any idea why or how. Even more of this for chipping and putting.
First I'm not trying to convince anyone to like this game so please take these tips as suggestions.

The aiming marker is where the ball will land in perfect conditions and shot execution. The line on the swing meter is adjusted top that. This game doesn't have the option of this is where my ball will finish with carry that I think 2k does.

This is especially apparent in short game shots. I take my aiming marker well short of the hole and look at my shot type and club being used and almost never go to the line on the meter. If you're executing a pitch shot with say a 50 degree wedge that ball is going to run out. Also if you're using lofted clubs and don't go back to the line the ball comes off lower and runs more. Same things for sand shots, I aim short and almost never go to the line unless there is a major lip in front of me. Honestly the short game I feel as an avid golfer is perfect in this game, it makes you think about the shot instead of putting the marker in a spot and just adding spin.

I can't argue your point on lack of feedback, Usually if on my up swing I drift right I fade or slice the shot and if I flick left I hook it. I also settled on a medium tempo golfer so I need to make sure I am not going too fast or slow. That said more feedback would be nice, as would a practice range and also club yardages on screen.

I may download the Xbox version just to try it and see if it is vastly different, I know the 2K game for me was way better on the PC.
Follow Me on:

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

EA golf is the new standard. 2K has some perks, but EA gives me everything I want right now. I'd enjoy more courses (they're coming) and 60FPS (allegedly coming, but I will believe it when I see it)

EA has knocked this one out of the park.

MUTTS
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by MUTTS »

Played Augusta with my created guy. He hasnt had any attribute bumps and I play on simulation. Bumped the wind to 8-12. Made approach shots challenging. Short game is a challenge for me too. However I hit every fairway. I want to like it.....but its not quite there yet.

I shot +16 because of approach shot difficulty with the wind.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I personally think both games suck at simulating, or even feeling much like golf. I prefer 2k21 over 23 and this EA offering is like playing in quicksand. I begrudgingly play 2k23 occasionally for the society, but that's where it ends.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Either I stop playing EA’s game or 2K’s product because going back and forth between both games is just giving me a lot of controller adjusting especially during the DSP’s dailies 8).

Little things like aiming with the stick for direction on 2K to the direction pad with EA. I am currently playing mostly a career mode with my created player, and at level 16 I am slowly seeing a potential fun game here as I am leveling up with the different strokes such as Drive, approaches, the short game, putting while having more control over my shots.

The challenges are tough, but as I continue to grind thru the tourneys and slowly accumulate enough points to improve my player, the potential is there especially when they patch the frame rate and certain animations. As I level up, I am finding interesting things like the Pick and Spinner shots work better for me than the Pitch and Blast shots.

Still using the RS/LS from 2K is much smoother and generic, moving to the next shot by simply pressing quickly the A button, while at EA you have to keep it pressed for another 2-3 seconds to advance. Just trying to get all the perks for now and shots choices by playing career tournaments, I am finding my character shooting lately in the top 12 compared to being at the bottom of the barrel last week.

One shot EA got right, are the flop shots from the sand, much efficient than 2K’s splash shot which up to today, I am still having difficulties with.

Would love to see a society event online with EA, but they would have to patch a few things still.

To me if you gave them another month or so to polish their game it would have been ideal, I know there was a delay already but with the Masters just over the weekend, I can understand why they delivered the game last Friday.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Good game. I like the mechanics and the unlockable shots. Once I unlocked the Flop shots I was able to start landing in the top 30 or so.

The game is really bare-bones. Not much in terms of unlockable gear. Tour is just wins/losses versus $$.

They should add in a mode with unlockable cards. You can then use those cards to play other players. You'd have a set of 18 and would have to select what hole to use what golfer. With different attributes, that would make deciding what hole to use certain players on interesting.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

EA PGA reddit is going ape s*** right saying the new updates broke the game.

I already deleted it from my hd but can anyone here confirm? what are the updates?

https://www.reddit.com/r/EASportsPGATour/

MUTTS
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by MUTTS »

https://www.operationsports.com/list-of ... -revealed/

3-click swing is coming. Hopefully they dont f**k it up!