EA Sports PGA Tour Series

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: EA Sports PGA Tour Series

Post by 10spro »

Watching a Live stream by a YT fellow, the graphics are top notch for sure. He was playing on Tour level which is probably the Masters version of 2K23 unlike the video shown earlier by Diablo. The course was St Andrews, I liked the flop shot unlike the splash shot where I am still having issues with 2K23, the rolls seemed a bit excessive though in some holes and not just around the greens.

We’ll test it tonight as the EA free trial is available now folks.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I'm going to be streaming game play on twitch in about 5 minutes assuming I can get it to work with EA Play

https://www.twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Danimal wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:12 pm
I'm going to be streaming game play on twitch in about 5 minutes assuming I can get it to work with EA Play

https://www.twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
On there now!

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I have early access and the New Zealand trick worked so I am heading in now.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Courses are sick.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

I see you can download it on gamepass 10 hours. doing it now. will try to play Friday though. I want to enjoy it with no distractions.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Tried to post this earlier but this board gives me an error if the post is too long. I've had nothing but crashes and my PC is a beast with an RTX 4090 in it, if an $1800 graphics card is having issues I don't know what to say. I disable the advance hair, 3D grass and motion blur and no more crashes yet.

There is a lot to like in this game but I'm able to unlock the frame rate, at 30FPS I don't know. The swing is more slow and methodical than 2K and a lot of people hate it. I think the animations look great but the performance is not great. The graphics are fantastic, the ball physics blow away 2K as does the presentation. Like I said there is a lot to like but the performance needs to improve greatly on the PC anyway.
Follow Me on:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

So far on career mode, the swings are not too generic for a golf game. It seems that there’s a slight pause in between taking the club back and then swinging up for a desired straight shot. In other words I don’t see the tempo and smooth mechanics as in 2K23.

I’d like to also see the yardage given by my clubs on certain shots which I can’t find. Graphics and presentation are great compared to 2K23 and putting is not as easy as it seems, not with the settings I have it set on anyhow which is without following the line. I do see some excessive rolls not just while putting but on fairways rolls as well, that will need to be fixed.

And not everyone uses a 3 wood to get out of sands situations, come on EA. I’ll be fair, from what I’ve seen so far beauty matters but there’s got to be more substance too.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I haven’t started a career yet so I can’t comment on that. I don’t mind the swing animations at all. There are some things that definitely need to be improved but so far I am a fan of what I see. 10s, I did see a screen which shows how far each club goes. It may have been in the “Edit Club” screens. You can tweak each clubs shaft, grip, etc. Give that section a look. I wish there were the old Tiger Woods era “Country Clubs” (Societies). Maybe that will come with an update? Looking forward to more play time after work.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Played two rounds last night, both on Tour level.. Shot a +4 as myself (67 rating) at Sawgrass and even as Spieth (88 rating) at Scottsdale.

- As said, graphics are nice.
- Everything has slow feel to it. Swing is definitely slow.
- I'm not sure how the swing affects the shot. I would have a little over swing most of my shots. Some shots would head right, some left. I hit a ball in the water on the left at 18 at Sawgrass and I have no idea how the shot went right. Wind was blowing the opposite direction and the feedback on my swing was good on everything. Same with putting.
- Definitely do not like the putting mechanic as good as 2k23.
- Tour level was too easy to hit fairways with Spieth. I believe I hit all of them for the round.
- Short game is where I struggled. Sometimes on pitches and chips the ball would hit the green and just take off. Other time it looked normal. Not sure what was going on.

My first impressions is that it is a decent game, but not near good enough to purchase and have two golf games. The number of courses you get with 2k23 makes it tough to get excited about the 30 that EA has, even if those 30 do look better. I didn't see any options for societies either, which again is makes it tough to overtake 2k23. I have like 8 more hours with it, but unless something all of the sudden clicks, I will pass.

I played our society round in 2k23 right after the 2 rounds in EA Pga. I though for a second the swing animation was in fast forward for a second. Crazy the difference in speed. Also noticed how smooth everything felt in 2k23. Something I never thought I would say about a Golf Club/2k game. 60 fps does make a difference.

-

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I only played 9 holes at Sawgrass, but I was already missing the swing mechanic and feel of the 2013 and 2014 titles. Looks great, but in limited playtime it felt pretty shallow. Much too early to make a definitive assessment, but that was my initial reaction.
GT = Wilk5280

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I think this game is more of a single player experience. I never played 4 rounds per event in 2K's career mode, here I didn't mind it at all. The commentary, the presentation the little things like knowing what I did on a hole in previous rounds and mentioning it. Spectators who the ball can bounce off of.

As for the swing mechanic it is kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. If they did exactly what 2K has they get blasted but they try something new and people compare it to a game they have been playing for 3 years. 2K also has the delay between swing and club when it first launched.

For me performance is the biggest hurdle, they really needed an open beta on this to get that locked in.

It's a good start, over all probably not better than 2K unless you want a single player experience.
Follow Me on:

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Feel like EA Golf is more geared towards the casual gamer whereas 2K is more for the hardcore golf gamer.

I haven't tired EA yet but so far from what I'm reading it seems like the perfect golf game for me who likes single player and some online from time to time.

I don't really care about swing animations and speed. As long as the game is fun and replicates real golf courses that is enough for me. I was one of the rare ones that liked EA Rory golf and also liked PGA 2K21. I thought before 2K21, the golf club games were too hard for the casual player to pickup and play.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Lancer wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:08 pm
Feel like EA Golf is more geared towards the casual gamer whereas 2K is more for the hardcore golf gamer.
The thing is I don't think that needs to be the case. EA's game has better ball physics, way more shot types and the pro golfers profiles are all built by shot link. People are saying this game is too easy, idk it's not like I'm shooting -15 on Tour level and there is still another level and almost everything can be turned off. Then add the presentation and little touches and there is a base for a solid game.

Then EA does EA things. You can only take a triple bogey, nothing higher, the performance is really bad which might be a result of their in house engine, then the arcade stuff in there for people who want it. No online societies, no course creator etc.

There is a solid base to have a hardcore golf sim but EA likes to make something for all crowds usually leaving none of them satisfied. Right now I keep coming back and playing, that may wear off in a week or more.
Follow Me on:

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

with the Masters this week a lot of ppl will be playing EA Golf. I think they will make a good killing this week w/ sales.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Played about 20 min during lunch. First impressions

graphics are pretty good. honestly thought they'd be better but they're good

Swing is very slow. Also seems the gameplay is a bit slow too. Compared to 2K golf.

I probably wasn't in the best mood to play and it was a quick hit so when im relaxed and have more time I'll give it another shot.

btw I have no idea other than 1-2 golfers who the other golfers are in the game.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

SIMULATION difficulty is difficult. You can make the game as challenging as you want. TOUR is not too easy but if you go to the higher difficulties you will struggle. You can play 2K23 as casual as you want and you can do the same with this. The smooth frame rates of 2K are superb. EA is working on a performance mode update that, supposedly, will unlock the frame rates to higher.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

It is fun playing fades and draws. I highly recommend having SHOT SHAPING on. Makes you work to pull off the correct swing. With it off you just need to pull the stick straight back and straight thru. When on you need to take an inside swing track for draws and and outside track for fades - like real golf. I am currently even after 9 at TPC Sawgrass on SIMULATION difficulty with swing meter on and putting beads on. Nice challenge.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Tons of things to do in the Challenges section. Sponsors challenges for the name brands. My guess is you get some gear by completing them.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Played a little more and got to say I feel a bit let down by this game.

It's fine but it seems very bare bones.

Feels like Rory golf, which I liked, but much slower.

I still don't understand the entire FPS thing but if it means faster swings I get it then. 2K23 just plays faster than this game.

2k23 has really nothing to worry about imo. I do think it would be smart for 2K23 to release the game this weekend free during Masters weekend. Take the wind out of EA'S sail's.

I'll play it more but Im glad I did not buy it and tried it instead on gamepass/ea play 10 hour trial.

maybe in the future they will add more features.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Played some more - ya this is a super disappointment. I can't lie to myself anymore about this game.

I really really really wanted this to be better than PGA 2K23 but it's really really really way far behind.

It's obvious they rushed this just to get it out for Masters Week.

Maybe in 2-3 months they can fix the game up and add more modes. I don't know.

The controls are just so clunky it makes it not enjoyable to play. I try to find the littlest thing to give me an excuse to like it but it's not happening. I play primarily offline and was wishing this would be the offline golf game but nope.

H2H isn't working - or maybe they have not turned it on for the pre-release period????

Rory was even more fun to play than this.

Thank god for Gamepass, saved me $70.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

The more I play this the more I like it, just needs a performance patch.
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Diablo25 wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:26 pm
It is fun playing fades and draws. I highly recommend having SHOT SHAPING on. Makes you work to pull off the correct swing. With it off you just need to pull the stick straight back and straight thru. When on you need to take an inside swing track for draws and and outside track for fades - like real golf. I am currently even after 9 at TPC Sawgrass on SIMULATION difficulty with swing meter on and putting beads on. Nice challenge.
Yes the game is very adjustable, including the swing animation and timing. I get the feeling most are trying it and just wanted a 2K clone with better graphics. They probably aren't even bothering with the options or modes. I also think alot of people speed play every round holding Y on the other game. Saying its too slow, tells me you've never played or watched real golf :)

This game is far from perfect but the negativity it is getting is a little unjustified. If you want a better looking 2K game then get them to make it and stop releasing the same game every year with little changes.
Follow Me on:

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Not comparing it to 2K and I haven't had enough time with it other than to post initial reaction and impressions. I was, however, comparing it to TW 2013 and 2014 (by EA Sports) while playing what little I did. I would take either one of those over this year's title... again based on initial impressions. I'll sit down with it this weekend and put more time in and hopefully my opinion is more favorable after I do.
GT = Wilk5280

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Danimal wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:32 pm
Diablo25 wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:26 pm
Yes the game is very adjustable, including the swing animation and timing. I get the feeling most are trying it and just wanted a 2K clone with better graphics. They probably aren't even bothering with the options or modes. I also think alot of people speed play every round holding Y on the other game. Saying its too slow, tells me you've never played or watched real golf :)

This game is far from perfect but the negativity it is getting is a little unjustified. If you want a better looking 2K game then get them to make it and stop releasing the same game every year with little changes.
I agree, Danimal. After reading the impressions, I felt like it was going to be another ea sports bamboozle. In reality, I am having more fun than I ever had on 2k. I used to golf a good deal, and this EA title brings me closer to the course than 2K. It definitely needs 60fps, but I think a lot of people (especially on OS) went into this with an agenda and were closed minded.

Fix the frame rate
Add more courses

When both of these are done, 2K golf will be obsolete