EA Sports PGA Tour Series

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: EA Sports PGA Tour Series

Post by Sudz »

Lancer wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:03 pm
EA PGA reddit is going ape s*** right saying the new updates broke the game.

I already deleted it from my hd but can anyone here confirm? what are the updates?

https://www.reddit.com/r/EASportsPGATour/

Played last night. didn't see any issues.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

looks like another update fixed a lot of things

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

With the latest patch which includes the 3 click method, players will have more control of their swing I assume than the current sluggish analog method. Playing a lot of career mode which is grinding and rewarding at the same time. Being in the PGA tour and participating in all four rounds weekly is nice while ending around among the top 25 while not quite achieving all the perks is a Plus.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The patch addresses many issues when the game was released. Small issues for some, huge for others, I tend to be more towards the latter. Things like green grids disappearing once you have putt the ball, and more importantly improved accuracy as the reads were not always correct and therefore why so many found putting a bit more difficult to execute.

Turning 0n/off the putt meter is a good idea as for some having it on was more of a nuisance.

Improved camera locations on some unplayable lies, some balls deep in the sand trap could not be read as the camera would stop short of the flag location.

Chip shots area a default choice for the shortest club instead of 7 iron :roll:, faster gameplay as a choice instead of continuous presentation focus on each hole, skipping cut scenes and certain cinematics.

The 3-click swing addition is a big plus of course and will invite many back to the game.

There are many other small bugs fixes, such as reward fixes, some commentary issues and this is perhaps the state of the game that the game should have been released 2 weeks ago. But with the Masters tournament on that week, in typical EA fashion $$$ walks first, then we’ll fix the issues.

But give them credit for now, this is an important update.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

did they add the option to play one round instead of 4?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Lancer wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:38 pm
did they add the option to play one round instead of 4?
In one round you could customize the play to 4-5 holes only, so that wasn’t bad.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

In career mode if you qualify for a weekend event, in one round you could customize the play to 4-5 holes only, so that wasn’t an issue.
Last edited by 10spro on Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MUTTS
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by MUTTS »

Only had time for 4 holes but with three click I missed the fairway off the tee every time! Previusly on the hardest level I never missed so that right there is an improvement to me.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I’m having some fun with EAs game but 2Ks is so much smoother and their 3 click is a great option. The courses on EA are beautiful. They need to get that performance mode in the next update. 30 FPS on a next gen game is bullshit.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Diablo25 wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:21 am
I’m having some fun with EAs game but 2Ks is so much smoother and their 3 click is a great option. The courses on EA are beautiful. They need to get that performance mode in the next update. 30 FPS on a next gen game is bullshit.
I'm in agreement with you on all counts, Diablo. The thing is, I'm not sure upping to the frame rate to 60 FPS on the consoles is going to get around the problem I'm having with the analog swing interface in their game. It feels like the swing is throttled to a maximum rate that's more in line with 30 FPS. I took the PC trial version to 1080p, with the graphics details stripped back a bit, and was able to make it play at what was reported to be 50 to 60 FPS, but it still felt like I was swinging the club underwater at a limited rate.

I think they did this to make the swing control feel better to console players, playing at 30 FPS. It's harder to perceive the lack of responsiveness using the approach they used, but it makes the analog swing feel sort of "dead" to me. If they do have a 60 FPS patch, I hope they'll upgrade the swing animation response to be able to match it.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I wanted to post about my last experience. I'm in my first PGA event in career mode and I claw my way up to 2 back of Cantlay after 3 rounds. I turned on AI pairings but for final round only as I wanted to see what it was like.

First it is going to add 30 minutes to your round but what an experience. Cantlay and I matched each other through the first 4 holes with only one birdie on the TPC West course. Then I managed to birdie 7 and 9 to pull even through 9 holes. He birdied 10 to go up one and from there I lost it, I watched him hit shot after shot, get up and down and never 3 putt a green. I was still hanging in 2 back until the Par 5 16th.My tee shot found the bunker on the left and even though there was a large lip on the bunker I figured the game would let me hit 3 wood so I fire away it hits the lip and shoots dead left out of bounds. I drop down to a 4 iron and got the same result. I had to hit an 8 iron to get out of the bunker and then hit the 3 over limit the game has.

Cantlay went on a tear in the final holes to finish -21 and I managed 1 birdie to finish 3rd at -15. Having the AI playing with me make the experience better and made me do some stupid things. It was really a great way to play.

That said I don't know I want to invest over an hour for a round of video game golf and I also wonder with the limited pro's in the game will I always be facing the same AI opponents.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Big ass update yesterday. Anybody try it yet?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Sudz wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 2:20 pm
Big ass update yesterday. Anybody try it yet?
Love the update, new camera angles, improved gameplay. I am finding as my career player continues to grow, the choices for hitting the ball are superb as to how to want to mould your shot. The ways you can shoot the ball under different scenarios are much better than 2K.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I still want a performance mode.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

MUTTS
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by MUTTS »

I was at Oak Hill yesterday--so cool to come home and play the course.

The game is still not quite right to me-- the deep rough at Oak Hill is very penal and yet in the game my shots are at 94 percent of max power (minimal penalty). I dont miss fairways unless I use three click. Both games have their strengths and their warts.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

New update has added Performance Mode to the game 60fps. Huge difference and not a lot given away graphically.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

From a single player aspect I'm loving this game so much more than 2K. I love the courses, the career mode and the shot types. Still room for lots of improvement but it's a great first step. Being able to play the final round (or all rounds) of an event vs an AI controlled golfer is a great addition imo.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

I really want to like this game but it's so frustrating.

Someone told me just take 2K23 out of your mind when you play this.

I've started again but I can just get the game down.

Even to practice, I put it on all easy settings and I hit the same drive and it's a different result every time. Not like a bit different here or there, like vastly different. Sometimes I hit too hard, too soft, or in between. Doing the same phsyical swing.

Too bad there is no tutorial or practice mode.

I don't know how you guys have figured it out but give me some tips.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I play mostly career mode, and even during the earlier stages I always decided to set the gameplay on SIM and hard settings. EA messes you up when you’re trying to aim where you want the ball to go so instead of moving the sticks you’re doing it with the d-pad which sucks. But once you reached the mid level, things start to improve especially when you have enough skill points to spend it on certain specs in your golf club. Whether it’s the golf ball, irons or the short game, it’s worth spend it there to improve your gameplay.

Make most of your hard earned skill points also on the Approach game and Short game mainly and later on, Power and Driving and putting.

Despite the improved framerate, the game still seems smoother with 2K23 although I am also having terrible lag there lately.

I haven’t really played with any Pros yet, which I assume the game should be easier but i wouldn’t change the settings to easy when you start.

One thing EA got right is the career mode with all the tournaments and challenges.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

thanks man.

i am really enjoying this now and thinking about buying it . it's half off sale right now on XB Market.

Ya the challenges have been more fun than the actual career mode. But my golfer rating is really bad so once I build him up I think I'll enjoy it even more.

im a graphics whore and man this game is just so beautiful.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

I know I s*** at this game on release, and it deserved it.

but after you learn how to play this game and get your golfer skilled up, this is the best video golf game I've played since TW 14.

2K is much easier to pickup and play. 2k is much easier to adjust how you want to play, hard or easy or in between.

But EA's game is like real golf. It has a steep learning curve but once you get past the curve, this game is incredible. The risk/reward factor is off the charts.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I've come back to this game over the past couple days and am really glad I did. I had written it off almost immediately because it wasn't TW13/14, which was pretty shortsighted of me. After taking the time to fully grasp the gameplay mechanic, build up my character some, as understand just how much content there is here I've come to realize that EA has actually done an excellent job with this one. Especially after the Rory McIlroy debacle.
GT = Wilk5280

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Wilk5280 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:49 am
I've come back to this game over the past couple days and am really glad I did. I had written it off almost immediately because it wasn't TW13/14, which was pretty shortsighted of me. After taking the time to fully grasp the gameplay mechanic, build up my character some, as understand just how much content there is here I've come to realize that EA has actually done an excellent job with this one. Especially after the Rory McIlroy debacle.
the 4-5 weeks i played i had a lot of fun. but after maxxing out and sort of 'beating' the game, its hard to come back to for offline. I will wait til the Masters rolls around next year which will regain interest in this title.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I continue to really enjoy this game. The presentation and atmosphere in the single player career is just top notch. Playing the Waste Management Open in Phoenix and having the raucous crowd is a nice touch. Majors feel like Majors. They’ve done a nice job here.

The latest update has added a lot of the Ryder Cup modes. I really appreciate the continued support to the game.

There are still things in TW ‘13 and ‘14 I prefer, but this is a great re-entry into the golf space for EA. I think they deserve a lot of credit on this one.
GT = Wilk5280

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:54 am
From a single player aspect I'm loving this game so much more than 2K. I love the courses, the career mode and the shot types. Still room for lots of improvement but it's a great first step. Being able to play the final round (or all rounds) of an event vs an AI controlled golfer is a great addition imo.
Now that I have a Series X, I finally downloaded EA's golf game. While I'm far from a hardcore golf gamer and don't golf in real life, I live in a family of golfers. My father, mother, both brothers, both sons. So, the game is around, and I know it a smidge.

I like EA's game. I'm a single-player golf gamer, and I like this better than PGA 2K21 or 2K23. The courses are prettier. The commentary is way better. The presentation is snazzier. The swing interface is better, whether the usual stick swing or three-click. I love all the real courses and golfers. Putting is VERY intuitive to me; when I miss, it's because I misread the green, not because of any bad information I received from the line.

This game reminds me of EA's last attempt at NBA Live. Was it as deep as NBA 2K? No. But it was more natural, fluid and a hell of a lot more fun to play. A few tweaks, and it could have taken on NBA 2K. I feel the same about EA PGA Tour. Here's what I would like fixed (all on basic difficulty):

1. The ability to create a tournament and play against AI. Are all tournaments outside of the Career mode just online? That's lame.
2. I find it really hard to get approach shots to sit down on the green. Tough to get a shot to "stick" with backspin unless I hit a flop. What am I missing?
3. The bunkers appear to be made of steel, and my ball is a magnet. Any time my ball rolls near a bunker, it falls in. Seems weird.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying this game quite a bit more than PGA 2K1 or 2K23. Might even buy it this week for $28 during the Black Friday sale.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425