Racing Season 2021 (Spoiler Alert)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing Season 2021 (Spoiler Alert)

Post by Rodster »

Miami GP confirmed for 2022 signed a 10 yr deal. Yay for parking lot racing.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:01 am
Miami GP confirmed for 2022 signed a 10 yr deal. Yay for parking lot racing.
The drone shots will look beautiful on TV -- that's Liberty's main concern. I'll be shocked if this race sees the sixth year of its contract.

But to be fair, F1's TV ratings are WAY up in 2020 and 2021 in the U.S., almost certainly fueled by the popular success of "Formula 1: Drive to Survive" on Netflix.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Stephen Ross the owner of the Miami Dolphins has pretty deep pockets so this could see out the contract and he was the primary guy behind putting a race in Miami. The track does offer some high speed racing but we'll have to see how it translates into the actual race.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

What a wild race today in F1
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Really happy for Alex Palou, feeling really good about my reply pointing out that he'd be a good play at +5000 after they posted odds on Twitter. If only I'd made a play...or not sold DOGECOIN at $0.06 a while back, too.

And man, Jimmie Johnson is all of us. We'd all be thrilled as all get out to drive an IndyCar as a living, no matter where we finished. The guy has nothing to prove to anyone, but wants to live his childhood dream. It really is the coolest racing story I can remember, even if he never gets a top 10. It takes balls to jump into the unknown and possibly be awful!

Question - what's Lando's ceiling? He's a feisty competitor and obviously it is early, but I expected Ricciardo to get the best of him.

Question 2 - if given truth serum, what would the Aston Martin team have to say about the switch from Perez to Vettel?
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Not sure what's a sadder sight in global motorsports right now, Valentino Rossi tooling around at the back of the MotoGP field on a factory-spec Yamaha or Sebastian Vettel tooling around at the back of the F1 field in an Aston Martin.

Both need to retire after this season, as they're venturing into the sad territory of Willie Mays in center field for the 1973 N.Y. Mets, a legend losing easy fly balls "in the sun."
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Weekend impressions:

O'Ward's on a rocket to stardom (relatively speaking, of course). He reminds me so much of a young Montoya; supernatural speed, reflexes, and gives absolutely zero f*cks. Young JPM was on another planet, but Pato's one of the few to enter that planet's orbit.

Can you believe we're almost 20 years to the date of Scott Dixon's upset win in Nazareth? The old man's still got it, and I'll be wearing my PacWest hat from that season during May and hope for Scott's second Indy win. PS, you still owe me money, Bruce McCaw

Speaking of New Zealanders named Scott, McLaughlin is another star-in-waiting. The talent pool is deep as hell right now.

I'm fine if IndyCar never goes back to Texas. Can't recall another track just absolutely ruined like that one--let's make turn one a mile wide but flat and funneled into a single line. Oops, that didn't work, so some sticky stuff in the upper lane will help NASCAR. Oops, now the track's stained and no one can run up top. Great work, all around.

Nikita Mazepin, LOL.

Lewis Hamilton is pretty good, I guess.

The name HYPERCAR might be over-selling things by a little.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

RIP Bobby Unser

One of my early childhood racing heroes and the winner of the first Indianapolis 500 that I ever attended (1975 finish in the pouring rain). Definitely one of the greats. Lots of good articles and videos being posted, but these from Robin Miller are pretty good:

https://racer.com/2021/05/03/bobby-unser-1934-2021/
https://racer.com/2021/05/03/miller-the ... bby-unser/
He wanted to lead every lap, monopolize every conversation, chat up the prettiest girl in the room and have the final word. He couldn’t be bothered if he offended you because, “Son I only tell the truth,” and he had more opinions than boxes of oil stashed at his garage. He was fast and fearless in a race car, and dodged The Grim Reaper many times.

But the essence of Bobby Unser was that personality. That bombast. That cocksure attitude. That undying belief everything he said was true, or at least in the vicinity. Ask him a question, you got an unfiltered answer.

A.J. Foyt: “Great, great driver but a big bully.”

Mario Andretti: “As good as anyone that ever sat in a race car but a little tough on equipment.”

Parnelli Jones: “The best I ever saw.”

Gordon Johncock: “Tough to beat but if he’d known anything about a chassis he’d have won a lot more races.”

Brother Al Unser Sr: “Really, really smart in a race car. Didn’t know a lot about them, but when the car was right he was almost impossible to beat.”

Johnny Rutherford: “Great in a sprint car. Aggressive and fast but crashed a lot of Indy cars.”

The Magnificent 7 is now down to six. We’re so lucky all these badasses and heroes are still alive and kicking in their 80s, but the one thing we should never lose sight of is why so many fans gravitated towards Uncle Bobby.

He talked to everyone that ever approached him, signed everything, posed for endless photos and acted like he remembered meeting ‘Ol’ Joe at Trenton in 1970.’ He made people feel appreciated and part of the conversation – just like Mario does.

“I’d never admit this to him, but he taught me something very good and very valid back when we were running Pikes Peak in the ‘60s,” says the 1969 Indianapolis 500 winner. “He was always around a lot of people and I just remembered how kind and how good he was to the fans. That never left me.

“Bobby was a good dude.”

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I will cherish my interactions with Uncle Bobby over the years. I didn't spend that much time with him, but every time was wonderful. We talked for 25 minutes on the phone last spring for the My Favorite Car series at IMS.com, and he had me in stitches, as always.

Everyone knows how ferocious of a competitor Bobby was behind the wheel. But the VASTLY underrated skill of Bobby's career was his mechanical mind and engineering prowess. He was every bit as skilled in those areas as Dan Gurney, which is why their pairing as owner-driver in the early and mid-70s was so fruitful. Bobby was one of the best race AND test drivers in the world.

Godspeed, Uncle Bobby.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

And Uncle Bobby was the key cog in the greatest IndyCar broadcast booth of my lifetime. Bobby, Paul Page, and Sam Posey were a very entertaining combination.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 3:58 pm
And Uncle Bobby was the key cog in the greatest IndyCar broadcast booth of my lifetime. Bobby, Paul Page, and Sam Posey were a very entertaining combination.
The absolute gold standard.

"Sam, you're WRONG!" :)

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

As a northerner who gets really quite annoyed at London media folk referring to everything more than 50 miles away from them as "the north", I am required to point out that Jack Harvey is from the Midlands. As the name suggests, the Midlands are not in the bloody north, Leigh.

Notes from an IndyCar race:

- The first of how many for Veekay? A great result for ECR that might have been even greater were it not for the curse of Conor's mullet.

- A superb weekend's work from the Grosjean triplets, though on pure pace it was impossible to separate Romain, Romaine and Remain.

- I think I would quite like the Paul Tracy Singers to be at least a semi-regular feature of these broadcasts.

- To what extent is it reasonable to suggest that when Pato gets picked up by Penske in a little while, Schmidt Peterson McLaren will be in a huge, huge amount of trouble?
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

You'll see Rossi at Penske before Pato, mate. Zak Brown won't let Pato get away since he could be an F1 team prospect.

Rossi's frustration at Andretti is palpable, but his odd tranquility about his situation after the cartoon anvil drops on him at seemingly every race suggests something behind the scenes could be underway. I stress COULD.

But all of the colors of the Rubik's Cube align if The Captain shipped out Pagenaud after this season to lead Penske's new prototype program with Porsche. Remember, Simon was a killer in ALMS. The easy replacement would be Rossi, who would create an even more potent Penske team with Newgarden, Power and McLaughlin.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Wow, I completely forgot about Rossi...

What's going on at Andretti, mate? It feels like something you could almost start pinning on the drivers - maybe RH-R is beyond his peak, or Hinch no more than a solid midfielder and so on - until you get to Rossi, or look at the weekend Herta had, and realise it's a bit more pervasive than that.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

GB_Simo wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 4:48 pm
What's going on at Andretti, mate? It feels like something you could almost start pinning on the drivers - maybe RH-R is beyond his peak, or Hinch no more than a solid midfielder and so on - until you get to Rossi, or look at the weekend Herta had, and realise it's a bit more pervasive than that.
I think your analysis of RHR and Hinch are accurate. But with the other two cats ... that's the $1 million question in INDYCAR right now.

Then again, look at what team is winless five races into the season: Team Penske. 8O

The level of competition and unpredictability is insane right now in INDYCAR.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I wonder if years of average drivers (relative to an org like Penske) is catching up to Andretti. No offense to Marco or Zach Veach (nice drive for him at Mid-Ohio yesterday), but on a week-in-week-out basis neither of them were going to be much of a threat to break through for a win and often times were found cruising in the 18-20ish range. Maybe they gave good feedback, or maybe they were a drain of resources despite the name and check.

And if you're Michael, don't you wonder about the guy in the other pink car outrunning you on a regular basis with your engineering help?

Granted, Ganassi has been able to run a good stars & scrubs (again, all relative) program with Dixon not getting much help from his teammates in a few of his championship seasons.

Regarding Arrow McLaren SP, I don't know what to make of Rosenqvist at this point. His win was impressive last year, but there were an awful lot of unimpressive rounds and Palou is showing it wasn't the car. My expectations were higher than what we've seen the last couple years.

Does Roger give anyone an opportunity to turn them down twice? That's my only question about whether they would go after Rossi again. I could see McLaren wanting to make a splash, too, but either one of those moves would break his relationship with Honda.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Too bad the "Gulf McLaren" is a one off because the paint scheme is seriously striking.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

RIP Max Mosley. Say what you want about Max but he like, Jackie Stewart pushed to make the sport much safer. The funny thing about those two is he didn’t seem to like Sir Jackie Stewart as it wasn’t uncommon to read about Max making fun of Jackie’s attire and non relevance to the modern sport.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Rod, there's a good obituary on the BBC website:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/57231465

I particularly liked the overview of Max and Ron's relationship, which didn't at any time have the potential to be more than it was because both men were completely right about each other.

We are none of us perfect. The extent of our imperfections, and the publicity those flaws are afforded, might vary but we are all fundamentally a mix of good and bad in whatever quantities. It has been very interesting, reading the views of a number of media outlets on a man we're all reasonably familiar with, to note exactly what each outlet has left out in the pursuit of some or other agenda and wonder what else they might not be telling you.

There was, I'm told, a Grand Prix in Monaco last weekend.

There was definitely a qualifying weekend at Indianapolis. We've got a gaggle of cars looking very strong in race conditions but starting a good way back in the field, a handful of cars that look very strong no matter what conditions they're in and, on Bump Day, Will Power proving Peter Ustinov's old maxim, "We always have hope to win, because the others might lose." Speaking of WIll, I've smacked a wall coming off a turn at Indy in IndyCar Series, iRacing and all kinds of sims, where I can still hold it flat into 3 because I've got a restart button if anything falls off. Whether I would have the stones to do it for real...that's different.

Who's your money on for race day, lads?

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

You know, I started answering your question and started wondering if it would be better to put who I won't be putting money on for the 500. What a deep field.

Dixon has unfinished business after last year's disappointment and there isn't much evidence that he'll be any weaker this year.

Kind of has a "this is Rinus' month" feel to it as well, the kid is fast and fearless. That could be a good thing or a bad thing.

Old man Kanaan has a lot of confidence and will be just as hungry as the young guys. Same with Carpenter.

The Penskes have a lot of work to do, but eventually Newgarden is going to have everything fall his way for the 500. Pagenaud loves his car, but they better have a strategic rabbit to pull out of the hat. No matter how strong his car is, it still isn't easy to pass in a long train of cars from what everyone is saying.

And I haven't mentioned an Andretti (or affiliated) car yet. Herta made it to the end last year and is poised for more--Herta vs. Veekay could be a hell of a finish if they're both around the front with a handful of laps left. Rossi's another with unfinished business.

Bummed to be missing my third straight 500, need to make it back next year for sure. The weather looks great and could add to the raciness, it's been really hot since going to the universal aero kit.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

'control-f' "castroneves"

Hmm, I seemed to have overlooked an old guy that made the fast 9...at least I mentioned a fast pink car a few posts ago. Before I get to him though, a few thoughts/questions:

What the hell happened to Herta? From my perspective the team got high on its own supply, was content to just chill and wait to pounce, but kept chilling, chilled some more, and eventually ended up too deep in the pack with a car that wasn't as good as they thought. Maybe Bryan should have made the call for Colton to get the race going by passing Helio.

What awful luck for Dixon and Rossi.

It really was falling into Grahams hands before the ill-fated stop

At least Conor Daly had some good luck with the yellow timing before his now-typical bad luck hit in the form of a wheel to the nose of the car. How cool was it to see the crowd respond to him taking the lead? My son joined in with that cheering and it was awesome to see him up front. More of that again, please.

Now back to the winner. I kept coming back to the word catharsis watching Helio celebrate. It's been a hell of an emotional journey since last March-ish for the everyone and sports just felt empty without a crowd. But here was this 46-year-old firecracker joining one of the most exclusive clubs in the sport years after essentially being discarded. His victory celebration is one for the ages and one the grand old lady at 16th and Georgetown needed after a year without fans. I've NEVER seen a crowd hang around like this one, everyone wanted to soak it in and revel in Helio's accomplishment. It was f*cking fun, and that's what sports should be about. And congrats to Mike Shank, a racer's racer who is probably (deservedly) drunk as a skunk right now.

Just submitted my application for my family's tickets to next year's 500. Not going to depend on my family for tickets, want to get my own history started so we can hopefully end up in the literal penthouse. PK, please push me to the top of that line, thankyouverymuch, haha.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Great summary Dave and I could not agree more. Yesterday was everything that makes the Indianapolis 500 so special.

https://racer.com/2021/05/30/miller-an- ... or-a-king/
The crowd’s reaction was all anyone needed to hear to affirm this ageless racer’s popularity as he ran up and down the track saluting the fans and then was besieged by everyone from Will Power to Mario Andretti. And one of the legends he now sits at the same table with gave him the highest compliment.

“He deserved it — he worked hard to get it and he finally got it,” said A.J. Foyt, the first four-timer back in 1977. “It wasn’t given to him and when someone works as hard as he did, I’m glad it happened for him. As I said, he deserved it.”

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

This sounds so horribly trite I want to punch myself for even considering posting it, but between that race, that spectacle and that result, it felt a bit like we all won the Indy 500.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Nope. Not having that stand as my only posted thought...

If that's the noise a limited-capacity crowd makes when Conor takes the lead, what'll happen when he does it in front of a full house? Spine-tingling stuff and an incredible illustration of what live sport gains when there's somebody there to see it. I know he's a sponsor-friendly fella in any case, but that fan reaction has to do good things for his longer-term prospects. What a shame his more immediate prospects were ruined by Rahal's tyre, the physical manifestation of the cartoon anvil.

Graham was a lucky boy. Had his stop lasted a couple of seconds longer, that spin would have had him coming up the track right in the firing line, instead of clearing up the racetrack before the leaders got there. In saying that, had it lasted a couple of seconds longer, the left rear would probably have been attached and he would have been looking very, very good.

I'm looking forward to understanding more about those dramas on pit entry. Interesting that they were limited to two teams (if you're in the mood to include Simona under the Penske umbrella, which I very much am for the purposes of this point...), which makes me wonder if PT was onto something with his brake pad theories. I would have had money on McLaughlin not being caught out by it, having spent an entire V8 Supercars career tapping the brakes on the Conrod Straight to make sure they were still where he needed them, and I'd love to know what he might have achieved on lap 200 had he still been in the hunt.

Major props to Sage Karam - what a great result for him and Dreyer & Reinbold. The same props should probably be extended to Santucci The Young American, but I regret that my personal biases just don't allow it.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

GB_Simo wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 4:01 pm
Graham was a lucky boy. Had his stop lasted a couple of seconds longer, that spin would have had him coming up the track right in the firing line, instead of clearing up the racetrack before the leaders got there
I'm not the only one that got Zanardi vibes from that crash, right? A damaged nose cone as the only collateral damage is a lucky, lucky outcome.

And I also agree that there's a story with the pit entry crashes. Teams will always push the envelope, did they find something new to reduce friction during the race that ended up biting them hard? It isn't easy to say "maybe PT is on to something" but maybe he is...

Anyone else listen to The Teardown with Jeff Gluck? He's been a favorite writer of mine and it's been interesting seeing his perspective move a little over the last year or so. He's mostly a NASCAR guy but is teetering on the "entertaining vs. sport" balance that NASCAR's blown past over the last few years. My dogs got a really long walk this morning as I just enjoyed the hell out of him and his guest, Nate Ryan, talk about the pure racing spectacle that was the 105th running of the Indy 500. No stupid stage brakes, no lucky dogs. Just 500 miles searching for a winner.

I've spoken enough about what a joke I feel NASCAR's format is these days, but the contrast is part of what made Indy such a refreshing event. Just go like hell and make history, Helio. That's why we fell in love with this sport and that's how the legends made their name. Meanwhile, Charlotte doesn't really matter because none of the playoff races fit that track. How stupid does that sound?

Anyway, I couldn't help but watch the NBCSN replay of Indy when it was on this afternoon. Pure joy, pure jubilation, and the coronation of the fourth four time winner. And it probably isn't the last time I'll watch that conclusion and celebration over the next month or so. That was just fun as hell.