MLB The Show 21

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB The Show 21

Post by Diablo25 »

JOZ wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:39 am
I am really just getting to this. When it released I was in to Super Mega Baseball 3 pretty heavy. I tried it a couple times after release, but realized that I would have to spend some time with it to really appreciate it. Since I have been a Xbox only guy, I've never played the Show. Now that I have put SMB3 to the side for now, I can see that there is A LOT to like about the Show. The only thing I am not liking right now is I can't hit for s***. I've messed around in practice trying different settings and cameras to no avail. I had the cpu piping fastballs right down the middle and couldn't seem to get the timing down. This was on rookie.
Any suggestions?
In order to hit with any kind of consistency you must look for the point of release from the pitcher. I know that sounds simplistic but it’s an absolute game changer. Concentrate on the release point of the pitch and it makes picking up the pitch way easier.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Def watch the pitcher’s hand. I also set my batters aim to my fav part of the plate (down and away) and I’ll only swing if the ball is heading there. Once I get 2 strikes, I then just focus in the dead center if the plate.

Also, you’ll learn a lot about the pitcher if you don’t swing until AFTER you get your first strike. You’ll learn a lot about your opposing pitcher that way,
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Hyper-Focus on this and you will see a huge improvement. Once you get the pitchers exact release point focus on that spot on the batters eye.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

For hitting - switch to Directional. I know people say it's too much random but at this point in the series I don't care. Zone sometimes gets too random as well.

I use to be a Zone hitting guy since the PS2 days w/ this game. Last year I switched and haven't looked back. Just getting older my skills aren't what they use to be. So directional I get better results and have more fun.

Zone is still the most realistic. In real life, ball comes in high, you swing high , you hit ball. you swing you, you completely miss. Zone is what High Heat Used and that is why I preferred it plus the realism. I use to be a zone snob too like most ppl are in this game who poo-poo you for using Directional or Analog. Don't care anymore. I rather have fun playing my own way.

Directional Hitting is like MVP Baseball hitting. You 'influence' the ball rather than hit it where it's pitched. But it's timing based too so if you don't choose any direction on the joystick, it's more like all based on timing and the CPU figures out based on the batter's ratings where the ball will go. I don't mind that. Because in real life , there is that random/unpredictable aspect to baseball.

Directional works best when doing ROOKIE Moments and you have to hit HRs or 'Get total 8 bases'. Just hit UP on the joystick, time the pitch, and it'll be a home run.

Analog Hitting is like MLB 2k hitting and I know a lot of ppl love it. Especially with Stride. I used it sometimes and it's pretty fun. It's all timing and very simple.

Alot of people don't know in the options, you can mix all these up. Like you can do Analog + Directional, or Analog + Zone, etc.... Nice to have a lot of options.

--

Camera - if you see all the competitive players they use one of the STRIKE ZONE cameras. I use to do that with Zone but it misses the entire ambience of the ballpark. It's so zoomed in, and you're trying to hit the ball in the Strike Zone box, it's not like you're playing baseball but some Tetris game or some RTTS mini game. And you don't see the ballpark at all , just this big ugly strike zone. Plus, you get the batters crotch in your face every at bat which which looks silly.

I use the 'ZOOM' camera. It's not really zoom as say strike zone, but it's a nice mix between seeing the entire feel and experiencing the ballpark plus a nice fair way to hit the ball. 'RETRO' camera is another good one, and 'MLB 15' is a good camera option too but it's too low for me, like a catchers view.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Thanks for all the tips guys. Really concentrating on the ball out of the pitcher's hand did help with timing. After trying all the different options, I have settled on veteran directional. I've never really cared for cursor hitting, so it made sense. I believe I went with the zoom camera as well. I dropped it a bit to help judging low pitches. I also zoomed in a bit. I still swing at too many pitches, but at least I am getting good contact and results. I started a fictional franchise and I am 2 games above .500 right now. Great game.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

JOZ wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:51 pm
Thanks for all the tips guys. Really concentrating on the ball out of the pitcher's hand did help with timing. After trying all the different options, I have settled on veteran directional. I've never really cared for cursor hitting, so it made sense. I believe I went with the zoom camera as well. I dropped it a bit to help judging low pitches. I also zoomed in a bit. I still swing at too many pitches, but at least I am getting good contact and results. I started a fictional franchise and I am 2 games above .500 right now. Great game.
I had no intention of fooling around with online games, but one day I created a team “just to see”.. Now I love my Sherman Oaks Gamblers with the heat of 1000 suns! So addictive building the team, swapping in new players, bring old bats back to the team cuz they hit better so me than the 96 all star version of him. Incredible stuff. Seeing DeGrom pitch against me 8 out of 10 games is a drag, but they aren’t all loses. What’s your team name? I’ll be on the lookout.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Nothing online for me. I just did my own franchise. I didn't look or see if there was a random team name generator like some games, or I would have been the Indianapolis Arrows (name Indianapolis had set up if they would have won an expansion team back in the 80s). I just drafted with the Cardinals. I usually do fictional if available. I like the idea of starting with no knowledge except rating points.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

greggsand wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:36 am
JOZ wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:51 pm
I had no intention of fooling around with online games, but one day I created a team “just to see”.. Now I love my Sherman Oaks Gamblers with the heat of 1000 suns! So addictive building the team, swapping in new players, bring old bats back to the team cuz they hit better so me than the 96 all star version of him. Incredible stuff. Seeing DeGrom pitch against me 8 out of 10 games is a drag, but they aren’t all loses. What’s your team name? I’ll be on the lookout.
I did some online this year too but mainly events. They were pretty fun - the moonshot event and the current one that uses quick counts.

Im not doing ranked because it's too toxic.

What system are you on? I am on xbox one. Maybe we can hookup for a dd friendly?

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

They released the final program and collection today Team Affinity Finest.

Just awesome FREE content. Love this game. After a hard week, just hunkered down on the couch and playing the program. They also added Ken Griffey Jr. as the final collection.

For all the Cards fans, Goldy Finest card is just a monster. Look at this card art, just fantastic.

Even on Xbox One this game looks awesome. SDS is just great and this game keeps giving.

https://theshow.com/21finest/

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Lancer wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:36 pm
They released the final program and collection today Team Affinity Finest.

Just awesome FREE content. Love this game. After a hard week, just hunkered down on the couch and playing the program. They also added Ken Griffey Jr. as the final collection.

For all the Cards fans, Goldy Finest card is just a monster. Look at this card art, just fantastic.

Even on Xbox One this game looks awesome. SDS is just great and this game keeps giving.

https://theshow.com/21finest/
I guess I’m getting old. I just don’t understand the purpose of these cards. I don’t play any of the special game modes…just exhibition games and franchise games.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

tjung0831 wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:52 pm
I guess I’m getting old. I just don’t understand the purpose of these cards. I don’t play any of the special game modes…just exhibition games and franchise games.
Guess we're both old. It's all I play, too. It's all I've ever played. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

pk500 wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:22 pm
tjung0831 wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:52 pm
Guess we're both old. It's all I play, too. It's all I've ever played. :)
Paul, you would like Diamond Dynasty. You can play single player modes like Conquest. They are quick 3 inning games where you would try and “conquer” the map. It’s fun to build up your team with packs (which are fairly easy to get). You can also take you team and play against actual MLB teams in 9 inning games or play other gamers DD teams in offline mode. Give it a try.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Here is a quick vid I just did….shows the Single Player modes real quick.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1213216533
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Thanks, Bill.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Diamond Dynasty is one of the most addictive games mode I've EVER played. I had no intention of messing with ANY of this, but after fooling with it for a week back in June, it's all I play now. I've worked my ass off for cards I know I won't use. Anyway, amazing stuff.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

greggsand wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:49 am
Diamond Dynasty is one of the most addictive games mode I've EVER played. I had no intention of messing with ANY of this, but after fooling with it for a week back in June, it's all I play now. I've worked my ass off for cards I know I won't use. Anyway, amazing stuff.
best thing is you can get every card for free by just playing offline unlike Madden or Fifa. I'm a DD offline player - this year pretty much 'beat the game' by collecting all the collections (got Griffey Jr yesterday), completing all the programs, conquests maps, and all the other offline content.

Love how much free content SDS gives. And they're not done - we'll have some holiday conquest maps coming up.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I got my moneys worth out of this game for sure!