The Beautiful Game, Fútbol, Calcio, Footie Season 23/24

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The Beautiful Game, Fútbol, Calcio, Footie Season 20/21.

Post by wco81 »

Wow these owners folded fast.

So much for the masters of the universe.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Deep inside despite J.P Morgan’s cash in advance, I knew that the Super-league would not take off. The question now is how do you punish the big six teams that started this idea. How, who? Names...

Any sanction, some kind of penalty for damaging the brand and the clubs that had nothing to do with it.

Are these owners really ‘Football fans’ in their heart? I am sure some prefer to ban them from ever owning a club. They could easily blame it on Covid but talks a about this new S-league just did not sit well with fans and coaches that were caught by surprised.

But with the Super League threat now neutered, it would be naive to think that there will be no other offers, just as there will be new prospective broadcast partners and potential sponsors.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I don't think sanctions are needed and would be toothless. Those clubs hold too much power.

Plus I think United supporters got the greatest gift of all out of the Super League's collapse -- Woodward's departure. For me, seeing greedy billionaires grovel to fans and apologize with their tiny dicks between their legs is good enough.

DB may be right: This all may be a ploy to pry more money from UEFA from the Champions League revenue pot.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Don’t betray Old Trafford fans with your stupid SL ideas. Match up suspended for now vs Liverpool.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

10spro wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 12:27 pm
Don’t betray Old Trafford fans with your stupid SL ideas. Match up suspended for now vs Liverpool.
Normally copycats irritate the hell out of me, but would love to see similar scenes at Anfield, Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, Stamford Bridge, the Emirates and the Etihad in upcoming weeks.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Love how my Fandom of Sheffield Wednesday makes me watch a stream of Luton v. Rotherham on a Tuesday afternoon

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

La Mano de Dios comes down hard on these individuals.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/argentina-a ... h-homicide

https://abc7.com/diego-maradona-cause-o ... /10667098/

Miss you Diego…

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I don't know what to make of the charges against the Argentine doctors in the Maradona case.

Maybe there was malpractice. But then again, I doubt the Argentine medical system rivals the Mayo Clinic or Sloan-Kettering, and Diego was far from a picture of health with his decades of drug abuse.

So, it could be malpractice. It also could be a nation looking to turn a deity into a martyr to whitewash his years of hard living.

Either way, he's gone. And that's the saddest fact of all.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

One CL win has caused some ripples.

That Chelsea manager will get a permanent job and Pulisic will be hyped more in the US.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Damn, pretty scary scene in the Euro cup today as Danish Star C. Eriksen fell on the pitch unconscious.

Medics were doing CPR for 15 minutes before they took him off the pitch. Latest report is that he’s stable and conscious.

Not sure how they could finish the game but Finland won 1-0.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I know I have the French winning the tournament, but it was a rather unimpressed performance narrowly beating the Germans on an auto goal. Low’s team owned the second half had their chances but just couldn’t find the net.

Was hoping for a tie between Ronaldo’s team and Hungary but late in the game they pulled off the win.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

fsquid wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:53 pm
Love how my Fandom of Sheffield Wednesday makes me watch a stream of Luton v. Rotherham on a Tuesday afternoon
Don't suppose I could tempt you with Hartlepool United vs Torquay United, could I? The National League play-off final is this coming Sunday and we've somehow ended up involved in it, 16 years (can you believe it's 16 years?) since our last play-off final, the result of which presently escapes me for some reason.

Between this and the Euros, I could be in for an incredibly disappointing couple of weeks.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

GB_Simo wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:02 pm
fsquid wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:53 pm
Don't suppose I could tempt you with Hartlepool United vs Torquay United, could I? The National League play-off final is this coming Sunday and we've somehow ended up involved in it, 16 years (can you believe it's 16 years?) since our last play-off final, the result of which presently escapes me for some reason.

Between this and the Euros, I could be in for an incredibly disappointing couple of weeks.
Actually, it may be on the ESPN+ that we have over here. I know they showed all the EFL finals, unsure if they will show the National League.

As long as no one gets a red, you should be good!

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

fsquid wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:59 am
Actually, it may be on the ESPN+ that we have over here. I know they showed all the EFL finals, unsure if they will show the National League.

As long as no one gets a red, you should be good!
I watched that again last night. Still never a red... :lol:

Hoping for more tomorrow than I got from England last night. I'm not sure what disturbs me more: that we played 2 holding midfielders against Scotland, or that we looked as though we desperately needed 2 holding midfielders against Scotland. Southgate has said we were "too frantic", which is the exact opposite of how I'd describe our performance. Luckily, it seems harder to leave the tournament at this stage than it does to qualify, so we should still be on track to have France, Germany or Portugal do terrible, terrible things to us in the knockout stages.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Bloody hell.

I've been on a few rollercoaster rides with my beloved Pools. That season we were 14 points clear at the top of the league and still lost it. That season we were 8 minutes away from being promoted to the Championship and still lost it. That season we went 23 matches unbeaten, were top of the league with 2 games to go and still lost it. That season we were safe from relegation out of the Football League with 2 minutes of the season left and still got relegated. That season we nearly went broke and I pretty much melted down in the middle of a Beautiful Game thread.

Today, watching Torquay's goalkeeper score a 94th-minute equaliser, I knew for a fact that Hartlepool United were about to Hartlepool it up with a thoroughly Hartlepudlian piece of Hartlepooling. 45 minutes and a terrifying penalty shootout later, WE ONLY BLOODY WON IT, LADS!

To the people of Easington Village, who've endured at least three guttural roars, a spirited rendition of "RHYTHM IS A DANCER, CHALLINOR'S THE ANSWER!" and, fairly soon, my lap of honour: I'm not even a tiny bit sorry. UP THE POOLS!

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Simo,

I was so pleased when I saw the news and thought of you immediately, Simo! Congrats!!
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Right on, Adam. Congrats!

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Pretty legit goal by that keeper.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9yxwlI-Y80[/youtube]

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I was telling myself at the 74th minute of the game that they were rather fortuitous to be up by 2. Then the changes came and slowly Spain started to unravel. Croatia ties it late in regulation as the Spaniards look to regain momentum in ET.

Great game.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

What a dramatic day of footie and how the mighty French has fallen. Not always the most fair way to decide a match but overall the Swiss were really sharp in the first half only to be equaled by the French in the second half who were in total control with 10 minutes to go. Inexplicably. P. Pogba loses the ball in midfield as the Swiss press for possession and the counter attack was lethal.

ET was pretty even and in the end the brilliant save by veteran Sommer on Mbappe was the difference.

The PK’s were brilliantly executed by both teams.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

10spro wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:58 pm
What a dramatic day of footie and how the mighty French has fallen. Not always the most fair way to decide a match but overall the Swiss were really sharp in the first half only to be equaled by the French in the second half who were in total control with 10 minutes to go. Inexplicably. P. Pogba loses the ball in midfield as the Swiss press for possession and the counter attack was lethal.

ET was pretty even and in the end the brilliant save by veteran Sommer on Mbappe was the difference.

The PK’s were brilliantly executed by both teams.
Couldn't believe the power and authority of nearly all of the penalties. Kicked toward corners or roof of net with authority. Very few cheeky shots. High risk, high reward.

What a great day of thrilling football.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

This is definitely a different Italian team of yesteryears. While the acting for the best drama awards still belongs to them, overall they don’t hibernate on a slim goal advantage as previously done in the era of Dino Zoff or Gianluca Buffon (boy, I am old).

With players like Insigne, Jorginho, Immobile and Chiesa dare I say they try to play pretty and not boring footie as their predecessors.

It was a tight game with Belgium but were better overall. We’ll see if they can count on Di Lorenzo who’s been so solid on the left side and pulled a groin towards the end of the game. The D is still solid and should be favored vs Spain who narrowly beat the Swiss on PK’s on 10 men.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Oh no. No, it can't be. That feeling...I fear it might be hope, chaps.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Jorginho?

A Brazilian or Portuguese on the Italian national team?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

wco81 wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:05 am
Jorginho?

A Brazilian or Portuguese on the Italian national team?
He was born in Brazil but settled in Italy as a teenager. He’s not the only Brazilian|Italian player there. Heard of Emerson Palmieri? Same background, settled in Italy when he was young both play for Chelsea.