The Beautiful Game, Fútbol, Calcio, Footie Season 23/24

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The Beautiful Game, Fútbol, Calcio, Footie Season 22/23.

Post by fsquid »

Shock scorelines:

Sheffield Wednesday 2 - Newcastle 1

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The Beautiful Game, Fútbol, Calcio, Footie Season 22/23.

Post by 10spro »

That’s as complete as a game can be played vs a topnotch opponent as I have seen from Mancity. Impressive!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The Beautiful Game, Fútbol, Calcio, Footie Season 23/24

Post by 10spro »

Ok if the MLS doesn’t shine with the presence of Messi, nothing will. Personally, I would have loved to see him try the EPL or go back to Spain and eventually finish his career in Argentina.

But when your average MIA fan would pay an average of $30 for a weekend game to $300+ next month when he shows up, the excitement is there alright.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

10spro wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:47 am
But when your average MIA fan would pay an average of $30 for a weekend game to $300+ next month when he shows up, the excitement is there alright.
I've been going to 4-5 LAFC games since their inception a few years ago and even before it was official, we tried to get Inter Miami tickets a few months ago (my son likes em) and they were already 4x the regular cost just on speculation. Now they are 10x - so yeah. Might need to travel out of LA to see him for a semi-affordable price.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:37 am
10spro wrote:
I've been going to 4-5 LAFC games since their inception a few years ago and even before it was official, we tried to get Inter Miami tickets a few months ago (my son likes em) and they were already 4x the regular cost just on speculation. Now they are 10x - so yeah. Might need to travel out of LA to see him for a semi-affordable price.
I'm not sure you will for at least the first calendar year. Kinda surprised LAFC doesn't move that game to the Rose Bowl.
Just as an aside, do you like that stadium for LAFC? My company built it and I got to tour it a month or two before it opened.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fsquid wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:47 am
dbdynsty25 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:37 am
10spro wrote:
I'm not sure you will for at least the first calendar year. Kinda surprised LAFC doesn't move that game to the Rose Bowl.
Just as an aside, do you like that stadium for LAFC? My company built it and I got to tour it a month or two before it opened.
Yes, I absolutely love it. Great site lines from all over the park and the fans and noise are fantastic based on the overhangs acoustic properties. No complaints outside of its location.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I went to my fist LA FC match Wednesday (St. Louis CITY BABY!). Was super impressed with the stadium and the overall vibe of the fans. Really high energy. The only negative was the 40 mins it took to drive the last 2 miles to the stadium (rush hour on a weeknight was brutal). I def want to go back (on a weekend!).
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

greggsand wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:02 pm
I went to my fist LA FC match Wednesday (St. Louis CITY BABY!). Was super impressed with the stadium and the overall vibe of the fans. Really high energy. The only negative was the 40 mins it took to drive the last 2 miles to the stadium (rush hour on a weeknight was brutal). I def want to go back (on a weekend!).
Like I said, no complaints at all about the Banc - outside of it's location. Awful.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

I visited Snapdragon Stadium last Wednesday for the US/Panama Gold Cup semifinal and it was a blast. Only 1.5 miles from my house and getting in and out was a breeze, (thanks to my wife dropping me off and picking me up;)

Beautiful stadium and can't wait for FC San Diego in MLS.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Going to Wrexham vs Galaxy 2 tonight. Gonna have to take a shower after leaving the Galaxy stadium tonight, but still gonna be fun.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Heh. Not much of a turnout at Dignity Health Park. Wrexham had their way with a tier two MLS team as expected. 4-0

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:22 am
Heh. Not much of a turnout at Dignity Health Park. Wrexham had their way with a tier two MLS team as expected. 4-0
SUPER PAUL MULLIN!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Carlos Ancelotti knows a thing or two about the UEFA Cup. He’s coached great players over his illustrious career, generational players of my era like Z. Zidane, Kaka, Zico, Pirlo and brilliant players like Ronaldo and Benzema of the present.

He doesn’t usually throw a bouquet of flowers at anyone, but his praise for Jude Bellingham during Real’s game vs Napoli is well deserved.

I understand the Premier league is still tops when it comes to viewership and sponsorships. But for the type of footie I like despite my love for my Boca Juniors in Argentina, I rather follow La Liga matches, some Italian teams and the current UEFA Cup. It just suits more to the style of play I enjoy watching.

Bellingham is only 20 years, he’s got a brilliant future ahead of him and I like how Ancelotti is giving him a more offensive role to play closer with Rodrygo and create more chances for Real.

The guy literally can play anywhere though. Rarely you see him out of position, and with his stamina and physical specimen he can chase that ball lol day long.

A brilliant goal vs Napoli in a very exciting game. Great player.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

It's a bit of an indictment of Dortmund that he's been such a start right out of the gate at Madrid.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

RobVarak wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:57 pm
It's a bit of an indictment of Dortmund that he's been such a start right out of the gate at Madrid.
How is it an indictment of Dortmund? They found him (and Haaland), trained em, taught em how to play and sold high to bigger leagues. Seems to be their process is working for everyone that leaves but Pulisic and Sancho.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

I guess that's fine if their board, players, and supporters are judging success by their balance sheet. I understand the advantages that Bayern have, but Dortmund haven't won the league in over 10 years.

I understand their model, but my point was more than just that. Haaland was productive there. Bellingham was less so. He was obviously hampered a bit by injuries, but he wasn't the force that he is this year at Madrid. I watch a lot of Bundesliga, and I really rate Bellingham, but all last season while there were flashes they were fleeting. Ancelotti has done a much better job putting him in a position to make a difference than Terzic did during his time with Die Schwarzgelben.

I also accept that the talent he's playing with now is substantially better than that in Dortmund's first XI, but he wasn't playing with slouches in Germany either.

Circling back to the Dortmund model, being a feeder club is fine if you're a small club in a small league. As a powerhouse in German football, they need to be winning trophies even as they are developing guys, though. Their collapse last year was unforgivable.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

I guess that's fine if their board, players, and supporters are judging success by their balance sheet. I understand the advantages that Bayern have, but Dortmund haven't won the league in over 10 years.

I understand their model, but my point was more than just that. Haaland was productive there. Bellingham was less so. He was obviously hampered a bit by injuries, but he wasn't the force that he is this year at Madrid. I watch a lot of Bundesliga, and I really rate Bellingham, but all last season while there were flashes they were fleeting. Ancelotti has done a much better job putting him in a position to make a difference than Terzic did during his time with Die Schwarzgelben.

I also accept that the talent he's playing with now is substantially better than that in Dortmund's first XI, but he wasn't playing with slouches in Germany either.

Circling back to the Dortmund model, being a feeder club is fine if you're a small club in a small league. As a powerhouse in German football, they need to be winning trophies even as they are developing guys, though. Their collapse last year was unforgivable.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Newcastle 4, PSG 1. HOWAY THE LADS!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

pk500 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:37 pm
Where did those missiles come from?. If only they could replicate that performance during the weekend games 8) .

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

pk500 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:37 pm
The difference between a club which, despite the injection of Megabucks, retains a unity and pride within its squad and one which, as a consequence of the injection of Megabucks, does not.

Is this better than Tino Asprilla's night of nights against Barcelona? It must be, precisely because it wasn't someone like Tino scoring the goals. It was the much-maligned Miggy, then the man who I believe we're bound by law to call Big Dan Burn. It was one of the Longstaff brothers, for Christ's sake. People for whom the night meant something - for whom Newcastle United means something - bossing 11 men gathered together under a banner that mattered less.

On the other side of the Pennines, the lad Hojlund looked completely unplayable in spells against Galatasaray. Really, the Manchester United players around him deserve all kinds of credit for finding a way to lose in spite of that.

I mention all of these things as a way to avoid talking about Hartlepool. I will, one day, for those who follow along. But I'll need a drink first.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

From a neutral footie hardcore fan of the game, the FA Cup game between Liverpool and MANu was a beauty to watch. With Ten Hag perhaps already one foot on the door out, you gotta give him all the credit for going all out in ET by making some bold moves. I mean Lindelof and Varane being replaced?

I thought Liverpool was rather fortunate to be up 2-1 during the 1st half but controlled the game from then on until Antony tied it late in the game.

Liverpool seemed to take it all again after Elliot’s go ahead goal in ET.

Old Trafford looked beat then, until Hag rallied them again just when pretty much everyone thought that the game would go into penalties, young Diallo advanced the Reds to the semis after a nice 1-2 with Garnacho.

This was by far the biggest win of the season for them.