MS Flight Simulator

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MS Flight Simulator

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:43 pm
I flew over my house today, taking off with a Cessna at a grass strip that sits about 1.5 miles from my house. Flew all around my town, too. Even the high school football field had the block letter M at midfield for Marcellus.

This game is NUTS. Like Teal, I'm stoked about the ability to play from the cloud. But yeah, a bit curious about how it plays and looks on the new rigs. Please pass me that slice of humble pie now. :)
I’m actually not all that impressed with the performance on my series X…I have a middle of the road PC and at a higher resolution it’s still smoother from a frame rate standpoint. I mean it still looks great it just wasn’t as smooth as I thought it would be. I haven’t used the cloud version so not sure what you guys are seeing.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Today, I had zero graphical oddities. Great session. No tearing, no "impressionistic watercolor" wash out. Smooth, clear, and fun.

It seems like they might have dropped some graphical effects up close to the ground in order to smooth things out, but not enough to detract.

I really like this thing.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Teal wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:52 am
Today, I had zero graphical oddities. Great session. No tearing, no "impressionistic watercolor" wash out. Smooth, clear, and fun.

It seems like they might have dropped some graphical effects up close to the ground in order to smooth things out, but not enough to detract.

I really like this thing.
Same. I flew for more than two hours last night -- successfully landed for the first time after crashing a 787 Dreamliner into a neighborhood!

The screen tearing and washout that happened about every 30 seconds Friday night was gone last night. Happened maybe twice in two hours.

I understand this game may not be the Belle of the Visual Ball for those with high-end PCs. But for us peasants on OG Xboxes or Xbox One S's, Flight Sim is the dog's balls. It's REALLY fun and so cool to be able to fly anywhere in the world, including the grass strip 1.5 miles from my front door.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

I have the fastest internet in my area and have not had many problems at all with xcloud.

Some hiccups Friday night but maybe because more people were online.

The only part of the game where is see drop off is during night flights and bad weather/grey clouds.

At night I hardly can see anything. I don't know the technical term but it's like you see bars of waves on the screen. Same w/ grey clouds, it's like grey bars of waves on the screen. I dont know if that's an xcloud issue as I don't have a series X to compare against.

I also read that on XB S/X and Xbox One - Xcloud - the updates don't sync up with the PC servers. So I went into the CONTENT MANAGEMENT screen and sure enough, I had to download all the updates. Like the Australia update was not there, also looks like they added Vessels/Ships, some new planes, airports, and Liveries which in American means plane logos/paint. The only one I recognized was KLM.

So don't forget to download all the new good stuff they added manually.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Flew over the Alps last night from Innsbruck, Austria, to Lugano, Switzerland. Absolutely breathtaking, especially the villages nestled in deep Alpine valleys.

As Teal said when he was flying in the same region: "Good God. This place is now on my bucket list to visit in real life."

What a cool game, and it's not even a game. What do you do with it? You just fly. Cruise, look around, etc. It's such a soothing, pleasant change -- or antidote, take your pick -- to the frenetic sports, shooter and action games we all play.

The appeal of Flight Sim reminds me of when The Hunter first came to GamePass. Rob, Teal, Bill and I played it non-stop -- hell, I still play it from time to time. It was so weird that we were SO into a game in which you literally could walk for miles to find prey and shoot it, and it didn't shoot back. So soothing and different.

Basically, they're the right games for the right time. This world is REALLY f*cked up right now, so it's relaxing just to kick back and fly and see the planet for its beauty instead of its horror.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:46 am
What a cool game, and it's not even a game. What do you do with it? You just fly. Cruise, look around, etc. It's such a soothing, pleasant change -- or antidote, take your pick -- to the frenetic sports, shooter and action games we all play.
Speaking of these types of games...I play Lawn Mowing Simulator almost daily to relax. I guess I need to fly more.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:48 pm
pk500 wrote:
Speaking of these types of games...I play Lawn Mowing Simulator almost daily to relax. I guess I need to fly more.
I tried lawn sim and found it difficult.

Also train simulator 2 I messed around with but need to put more time into. But not into trains much. More of a plane guy.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

pk500 wrote:
Flew over the Alps last night from Innsbruck, Austria, to Lugano, Switzerland. Absolutely breathtaking, especially the villages nestled in deep Alpine valleys.

As Teal said when he was flying in the same region: "Good God. This place is now on my bucket list to visit in real life."
On one work trip to Turin I took my bike and rode out to the Italian Alps. At one point I just had to stop and stare at the landscape. Freaking spectacular. Also did a day trip in the winter to Aosta with my wife. Very scenic but being there in the spring, summer, or fall is best IMO.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
pk500 wrote:
Lawn Mowing Simulator is my Sunday morning chill game. Solid Game Pass game.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
pk500 wrote:
Dude ...

That game was free to play one weekend a few months back. I have a one-acre lot -- I don't need to simulate lawn mowing! But I did it anyways, and damn if I didn't sit on that effing tractor for nearly 30 minutes until I finished cutting the grass at that English manor.

You're not alone! :)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:45 am
That game was free to play one weekend a few months back. I have a one-acre lot -- I don't need to simulate lawn mowing! But I did it anyways, and damn if I didn't sit on that effing tractor for nearly 30 minutes until I finished cutting the grass at that English manor.
It's free on Gamepass...hop back on!

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

So played Flight Sim on my new XBX and yes it was visually stunning and beautiful.

But when this was released on xCloud about 2 weeks ago, I played the s*** out of it on my Xbox One S and OG Xbox One.

I must say the 'experience' of flight sim on xbox one is just as good as xbox series x. If I knew I would be getting XBX in 2 weeks when the game came out on xCloud, I would have held off. It's like I blew my load for this game on xCloud which didnt give me that feeling of exhilaration playing it on XBX as I thought it would.

The only area the xbox x version is clearly better than the xcloud version is for night and bad weather graphics. But it's not a dealbreaker.

Other than that, MS did a great job to deliver the flight sim experience on the Xbox One and XCloud capable devices. If you like to play this game casually the xbox one/xcloud version is just fine.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Lancer wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:32 pm
So played Flight Sim on my new XBX and yes it was visually stunning and beautiful.

But when this was released on xCloud about 2 weeks ago, I played the s*** out of it on my Xbox One S and OG Xbox One.

I must say the 'experience' of flight sim on xbox one is just as good as xbox series x. If I knew I would be getting XBX in 2 weeks when the game came out on xCloud, I would have held off. It's like I blew my load for this game on xCloud which didnt give me that feeling of exhilaration playing it on XBX as I thought it would.

The only area the xbox x version is clearly better than the xcloud version is for night and bad weather graphics. But it's not a dealbreaker.

Other than that, MS did a great job to deliver the flight sim experience on the Xbox One and XCloud capable devices. If you like to play this game casually the xbox one/xcloud version is just fine.
I share your views on MS Flight Simulator on the Series X. It didn't impress me to the degree I thought it would. I flew over some local distinctive landmarks that I thought would impress me, but really weren't that distinguishable. For example, the nuclear plant that's 11 miles away has six, huge fan powered horizontal cooling towers that cover probably 60 acres. They looked like concrete bases for water towers... I really couldn't tell what they were supposed to be. It's till pretty fun to fly around in and is certainly better than anything that's come before it. I just don't think it shows off the Series X to anywhere near the degree I thought it would.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:20 pm
I flew over some local distinctive landmarks that I thought would impress me, but really weren't that distinguishable. For example, the nuclear plant that's 11 miles away has six, huge fan powered horizontal cooling towers that cover probably 60 acres. They looked like concrete bases for water towers... I really couldn't tell what they were supposed to be.
I believe I read somewhere that they don't fully render points of interests that could be used in attacks for obvious reasons. A nuclear plant falls into that category. The one my dad used to work at outside of Phoenix is also not rendered properly.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:58 am
J_Cauthen wrote:
I flew over some local distinctive landmarks that I thought would impress me, but really weren't that distinguishable. For example, the nuclear plant that's 11 miles away has six, huge fan powered horizontal cooling towers that cover probably 60 acres. They looked like concrete bases for water towers... I really couldn't tell what they were supposed to be.
I believe I read somewhere that they don't fully render points of interests that could be used in attacks for obvious reasons. A nuclear plant falls into that category. The one my dad used to work at outside of Phoenix is also not rendered properly.
I wish Flight Sim gave us the opportunity to drop bombs with certain aircraft. If so, my next flight path would be straight over the Kremlin ... :)

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

pk500 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:14 am
dbdynsty25 wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote:
I wish Flight Sim gave us the opportunity to drop bombs with certain aircraft. If so, my next flight path would be straight over the Kremlin ... :)
As I stated in the Xbox Series X/S thread, I’m in flight sim heaven again playing MFS on my new Xbox Series S!

I’m hoping that MS will develop an add on combat flight sim component. I’m also looking forward to the free add on Top Gun:Maverick in May.

They need to use an updated Bing Maps as there are some missing local points of interest.

-MERACE

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Try Ace Combat 7. Great game. I think it’s no longer in gamepass.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Lancer wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:51 pm
Project Wingman is still in GamePass. Another fun jet combat game that's more true to the spirit of the original Ace Combat games. Just simple, fun jet combat without the ridiculously stupid storyline that took a giant sh*t on Ace Combat 7.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

pk500 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:56 pm
Lancer wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:51 pm
Project Wingman is still in GamePass. Another fun jet combat game that's more true to the spirit of the original Ace Combat games. Just simple, fun jet combat without the ridiculously stupid storyline that took a giant sh*t on Ace Combat 7.
Thanks I’ll try it out.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

I love flying over Disney World. Super fun to go over the parks then head over and check out Universal.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote:
This makes sense. I hadn't considered that and I worked at that plant for 38 years! Now that I think back on it, I don't recall being impressed by the lack of detail in both the reactor, spent fuel, and auxiliary buildings either.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Im thinking of uninstalling this game on my XBX. W the updates, it takes over 150GB. I'd rather save that space for some other games.

If I get the urge to play it I will just hop on the Xcloud version.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:28 pm
dbdynsty25 wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote:
This makes sense. I hadn't considered that and I worked at that plant for 38 years! Now that I think back on it, I don't recall being impressed by the lack of detail in both the reactor, spent fuel, and auxiliary buildings either.
For some reason I had a sudden desire to fly out of Dallas Love Field. Headed east and didn't see one of those landmarks I grew up with - no Reunion Tower. And downtown was generic, flying north lacked the detail expected. Contrast this with the Houston area where I have lived for the last 3 decades and the detail is there for the most part. I think it comes down to not implementing the same standards of photogrammetry across the game.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Lancer wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:29 am
Im thinking of uninstalling this game on my XBX. W the updates, it takes over 150GB. I'd rather save that space for some other games.

The Xcloud version is all us slummers with last-gen Xboxes can play, and I can report it works really well.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

pk500 wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:24 am
Lancer wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:29 am

The Xcloud version is all us slummers with last-gen Xboxes can play, and I can report it works really well.
Co signed. The old gen'ers can't join each other's games, but that's the only drawback, and frankly, it doesn't really matter in a game like this. The cloud version has really impressed my after a rocky start. Smooth as butter most of the time.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood