PGA TOUR 2K21

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: PGA TOUR 2K21

Post by J_Cauthen »

JOZ wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:07 pm
John, just curious. Do you have your controller vibration on? I never change the distance cursor the game gives, just right and left for break. I then slowly pull back until I first feel the vibration then push forward. Not sure if that helps at all.

I was just planning on jumping in and playing a one round daily. Forgot that weekend tournaments started on Thursday. I have always loved Sawgrass though

Saw your post earlier about the reddit society and found that. Played the weekend tournament there and was able to get third, two shots back. Actually had 56 the first round and had the lead after the 2nd. But the leader shot all four rounds under 60 8O
Hi Joz, yes... I have controller feedback on and use it to help me gauge my backstroke length. I invariably don't feel like I react early enough to the first hint of vibration and still tend to be too firm with my stroke. I'd probably do better if it just left the cursor about 5 to 10% short of the desired strength to account for my human lag there. I do take the club back slowly, but I find that I'm making a lot off errors pulling putts because of quick tempo. I need to spend some time on the putting green!

There are some real thoroughbreds in that Reddit Society. I've seen multiple tournaments be won with four rounds in the 50s. I do good to finish in the top 40 in those tournaments, but I've found a group of players who are similar in scoring average to me, and I enjoy playing with their ghosts. That Society usually has over 100 players per tournament and is still growing slightly. The founder of that Society asked me to take it over about 15 months ago. I've done nothing to promote it yet it's managing to gain traction. It's thread in the PGA TOUR 2K21 forum gets a little talk, but the way the threads work on Reddit, it gets lost easily and is more of a hassle to find and read than it should be. I'll keep generating the tournaments as long as people keep playing them and right now there's no end in sight. Glad to see you playing there!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Switching subjects a bit but my friend turned me on to GSPro and Golf Simulator Leagues. I have a GC Quad launch monitor and the GS Pro community has ways to get almost any launch monitor to work with it. I played a round at Sawgrass and Augusta last night and this software is so much better than the stock stuff that came with my Quad. Anyone with a sim should check it out.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Danimal wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:09 am
Switching subjects a bit but my friend turned me on to GSPro and Golf Simulator Leagues. I have a GC Quad launch monitor and the GS Pro community has ways to get almost any launch monitor to work with it. I played a round at Sawgrass and Augusta last night and this software is so much better than the stock stuff that came with my Quad. Anyone with a sim should check it out.
I have GSPro for my Uneekor QED. It still needs some polish but is a solid sim. I still prefer The Golf Club 2019 but GSPro is getting there. FYI, the guys who were on the Jack Nicklaus golf software make up this team. Below is a link to a round I played on GSPro a while back. Enjoy :D

https://youtu.be/LnQ9DbIGHN4

Here is a link to a round I played on TGC19 as comparison.

https://youtu.be/dKDMu6ynV2Q
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

MUTTS
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by MUTTS »

Danimal wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:09 am
I have GS Pro up and running for my GC3.....simply fantastic. My son says we will never play on the console again.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

You guys are making me very envious with the simulator videos and discussion. I'd love to have one but I don't have a place to set it up. I gotta ask, does the putting feel authentic?

I'm amazed at how quickly the simulator depicts the ball's flight on the screen! Some of the earlier videos I'd looked at using simulators seemed to have a 3 to 4 second delay between the time the ball hit the screen and the animation of the ball's flight began.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:47 pm
Those unexpected struggles John (regular for me now) you experienced the last two weekends is something I just cannot correct since the patch came around nearly 2 months ago? I usually have a fast tempo too, only to struggle the past month or so with a slow to sometimes very slow swing tempo, as I try to compensate for my fast swing.
I had an experience yesterday that seems to reflect what you're saying above. I was playing the final round at Austin CC and was having trouble getting a swing to complete... period, on the first tee. I took some practice swings and was only getting the swing to complete maybe half the attempts. I finally hit one and it duck hooked way to the left with a "Very Fast" tempos. I had to punch a 3-wood to get it back near the fairway. Then I hit a 3-iron which was "Fast" tempo but somehow hit the green. I then 4-putted for a double bogey due to excessive pulling due to a fast tempo putting stroke.

I think it was the 4th or 5th hole I put three consecutive balls in the water which as well to the left, due to only being able to produce "Very Fast" tempos to complete a swing. I wound up with a 10 on the hole. Finally, when I was on like the 6th tee, I couldn't get a swing to finish at all, no matter how I paced it. I quite the round and went to the practice range and could only complete a swing and hit the ball maybe once out of every five attempts. When I did manage to hit one, it would duck hook with a Very Fast tempo.

I quit at that point and rebooted the Series X (not a hard reboot, just off and on). When I brought PGA TOUR 2K21 back up I went straight to the practice range and much to my shock, everything was back to normal and the swing felt normal. I finished the round and managed to recover a few strokes, but I was 8 over par at one point in that round. I just can't imagine how this game is so dependent on server performance and/or internet connectivity that it somehow can affect the execution of the animation of one character on the screen to this degree!? I'm going to be far more likely now to reboot my Series X when I see a tempo result that feels out of sorts :?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:37 am
10spro wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:47 pm
Those unexpected struggles John (regular for me now) you experienced the last two weekends is something I just cannot correct since the patch came around nearly 2 months ago? I usually have a fast tempo too, only to struggle the past month or so with a slow to sometimes very slow swing tempo, as I try to compensate for my fast swing.
I had an experience yesterday that seems to reflect what you're saying above. I was playing the final round at Austin CC and was having trouble getting a swing to complete... period, on the first tee. I took some practice swings and was only getting the swing to complete maybe half the attempts. I finally hit one and it duck hooked way to the left with a "Very Fast" tempos. I had to punch a 3-wood to get it back near the fairway. Then I hit a 3-iron which was "Fast" tempo but somehow hit the green. I then 4-putted for a double bogey due to excessive pulling due to a fast tempo putting stroke.

I think it was the 4th or 5th hole I put three consecutive balls in the water which as well to the left, due to only being able to produce "Very Fast" tempos to complete a swing. I wound up with a 10 on the hole. Finally, when I was on like the 6th tee, I couldn't get a swing to finish at all, no matter how I paced it. I quite the round and went to the practice range and could only complete a swing and hit the ball maybe once out of every five attempts. When I did manage to hit one, it would duck hook with a Very Fast tempo.

I quit at that point and rebooted the Series X (not a hard reboot, just off and on). When I brought PGA TOUR 2K21 back up I went straight to the practice range and much to my shock, everything was back to normal and the swing felt normal. I finished the round and managed to recover a few strokes, but I was 8 over par at one point in that round. I just can't imagine how this game is so dependent on server performance and/or internet connectivity that it somehow can affect the execution of the animation of one character on the screen to this degree!? I'm going to be far more likely now to reboot my Series X when I see a tempo result that feels out of sorts :?
Yeah, I totally feel your pain. I mean at one point you just don’t know what else is wrong in your swing, as you know I even double checked with you on my settings, had a controller changed, calibrated the swing in practice etc. Now, as you know, I travel often and I understand when my swing is poor in hotels due to poor connectivity. But once at home, those inconsistent swings should not happen as often and be so dependent on the server.

Once thing though lately, I realize that when I play a casual round on “Play Now’ under similar DSP difficulty that you set the tourneys on, I don’t struggle as much swinging fast or slow. I also don’t see the feedback “Fast” or “slow” after each swing and to be honest at this point I don’t want to know but yet it appears (the feedback) in our dailies and weekend events.

Is that feedback part of your settings or is there a way I can turn it off?

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:35 pm

Once thing though lately, I realize that when I play a casual round on “Play Now’ under similar DSP difficulty that you set the tourneys on, I don’t struggle as much swinging fast or slow. I also don’t see the feedback “Fast” or “slow” after each swing and to be honest at this point I don’t want to know but yet it appears (the feedback) in our dailies and weekend events.

Is that feedback part of your settings or is there a way I can turn it off?
James, yes... there's a setting to turn off swing timing to offset what you're seeing with the server issues. However, if you turn it off the game plays like it's on rails. The only shot error you get then is a pull or a push, depending on how true your swing path was. It feels gutted to me in that configuration. We could possibly try a tournament round in Masters swing difficulty with the swing timing off and see how that would work. It would elevate the swing path difficulty enough to possibly offset the lack of tempo timing. If not Masters, maybe Legend swing difficulty with swing timing off?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:15 am
You guys are making me very envious with the simulator videos and discussion. I'd love to have one but I don't have a place to set it up. I gotta ask, does the putting feel authentic?

I'm amazed at how quickly the simulator depicts the ball's flight on the screen! Some of the earlier videos I'd looked at using simulators seemed to have a 3 to 4 second delay between the time the ball hit the screen and the animation of the ball's flight began.
I somehow missed this Jon sorry.

So I have a GC Quad simulator and there stock software is FSX 2000 (actually there is a new version but I'm not paying $500 for a graphics upgrade) it does a good job especially for practice. The courses are pricey but they are a one time cost. The Quad actually has a putting sensor so it does a really good job with the putting.

GSPro is $250 a year but it has virtually every course, this week I played Augusta, Cabot Links, TPC Deer Run and Sawgrass. The graphics on this program are better than the FSX 2000. The screen load quicker and rounds take less time. It also uses the normal mode of the Quad for putting, it doesn't switch into putting mode. This is good because it is quicker and it does a really decent job with direction. For example if I have a break right putt and I don't want to go to the laptop and adjust the aim I can just hit it more left. The only thing I notice is it reads the speed of the putt much faster because it is using the hitting mode of the Quad. So if I have a 20 footer, I hit it way softer than I would on a regular course but if I was in putting mode on the Quad I wouldn't have to do that.

I don't really use my sim for putting practice anyway, I have a perfect putt mat for that. Before getting GSPro I mainly practiced with my sim. I find myself playing a round after my daily practice session all the time now.
Follow Me on:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

John, so far I have struggled in this weekends’ Masters. Can’t remember the version but I found one called “A course has no name” rendition of Augusta also known as CLV’s r and it was challenging yet a bit more fair than the one when are playing. Particularly in the greens department where the ball would just keep on rolling in certain holes.

About to travel back home for the final round, good luck everyone.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Yean after round 3 and about 28 3 putts or worse I just gave up. I had a 4 foot downhill putt, barley hit it and it rolled 35 feet by.
Follow Me on:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

There was a course called a course with no name 2022 (I think) and it's by theCLV24. He's the same guy that created the Firethorn 2019 version of Augusta National played in the DSP tournament. I played the front 9 of the 2022 course with no name and decided against for one reason alone... it had no gallery. It just didn't feel like the Masters to me without a gallery, and the fact that we were going to be playing it as our society's tournament. It also had a more muted looking color palette than the 2019 tournament version, even though the course had all the other distinctive landmarks.

I stunk it up at this tournament, but it was mostly due to my recent very bad slump. I can't hit fairways off the tee any more and my putting is simply atrocious! I had more 4-putt greens at Augusta than I can count, and it's mostly because I have long birdie putts, and I run them 25 feet past the hole in many cases. I still enjoy the game, but a round of par now feels like a 67 to me!

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

I remember in a past version of this game where the HB developers saying they can adjust the swing server side instead of requiring a downloaded update.

Do you guys think that the developers may be “experimenting” with the swing in PGA Tour 2K 21 for the upcoming version of PGA Tour 2K 23?

-MERACE

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I'm 100% convinced now that the game is variable based on the server - some days I'm on fire and can shoot some nice scores, but tonight's first round - I was 100% off. Didn't hit a single drive in the perfect and in fact, more than one time, the swing just reset itself because my timing was so far off (allegedly). So those days that you struggle, I suggest turning the game off and playing later. Cuz I shot a +6 on an EASY track...absolutely something was up w/ the game affecting my swing.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

MERACE wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:33 am
I remember in a past version of this game where the HB developers saying they can adjust the swing server side instead of requiring a downloaded update.

Do you guys think that the developers may be “experimenting” with the swing in PGA Tour 2K 21 for the upcoming version of PGA Tour 2K 23?
I think that's a possibility, based on what I've seen in the last four days. I started Monday's tournament in the DSP Society and felt like I was playing a new game. The swing timing had a markedly different feel. I double bogeyed the first hole after 4-putting from 16 feet! I quit the round, went to the practice range and recalibrated my swing. That seemed to help, as I played the rest of the round in 6 under par.

I think there are also server performance variables that affect the swing.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:21 pm
I'm 100% convinced now that the game is variable based on the server - some days I'm on fire and can shoot some nice scores, but tonight's first round - I was 100% off. Didn't hit a single drive in the perfect and in fact, more than one time, the swing just reset itself because my timing was so far off (allegedly). So those days that you struggle, I suggest turning the game off and playing later. Cuz I shot a +6 on an EASY track...absolutely something was up w/ the game affecting my swing.
I think you're right. This past week has been particularly quirky. One of my Masters rounds I was consistently hitting 103 and 104% swing power with my normal swing, which typically produces 101% power. Usually, when I'm trying to get a little extra power, I'll get 102%, but rarely see anything faster.

I got frustrated and restarted my XBox Series X, and went right back to the same round to finish it. I was then back on my normal diet of 101% power swings. At least two days this week I've seen the return of the mysterious 103 and 104% power swings again. One time it was cured by a restart of the XBox, the other time a restart had no effect on it.

I don't know why they just can't shut every non essential animation down and bring network traffic to a minimum during the swing to minimize the server load affecting swing performance? There's too much at the mercy of the server performance in this game to consider it a top rate simulation. :?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I’d like to concur with both of you, and based on my last round where I hit only 3-4 fairways total, absolutely. How’s is it again that the slow to very slow swing kept creeping in my swing again and with the hotel connection I just experienced, it was just unplayable. Obviously landing the ball in the fairway in this weekender is imperative, but based on the final score I am seeing, either we are all playing a different game/course or the server issues are not affecting others as much as we thought.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

The only time I've noticed any weird swing issues on my end was last week on the Old Rattray course. I couldn't seem to get anything but slow swings. I did the swing calibration afterwards with no real issues since. I have noticed since I've started playing again that any time I am off on a swing, the large majority are slow as opposed to fast. That is the exact opposite from before I took a break from the game.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

John, I wanted to answer your compliments here rather than in our limited social messages within the game.

As you know, I have been playing rather inconsistently since the last patch about 5-7 months ago? I just either swing too fast or inexplicably very slow at times. I used to hook the ball most of the times especially on previous editions of the game, but in 2K1 the slow swing kept creeping up inexplicably in the game after the patch.

Now, I travel a lot. Every week in fact. Tomorrow, I’ll be back in Asia. And one of the reasons I have had so much trouble this year with my swing is that obviously the connection between home and hotels is quite different. So for the most part when I am away and their server is rarely above 40 mbps, I try to compensate by swing harder. The lag is often horrendous.

Once I get back home, I get around 300+ mbps and without the lag I experience in hotels, I try to compensate by not swinging so hard and perhaps that’s what’s been creating my slow swings. My muscle memory keeps adjusting from round to round depending where I am located at that point.

Just a theory at this point as I still don’t understand my inconsistencies but for now, I gotta believe that is part of it. Trust me, i much rather find that in between for my swing tempo than scoring a once in a blue moon score.

Now, the -13 was once in a fluke scenario. Obviously I putted very well, but more importantly for me was seeing how I was able to put the ball in the fairway at least 50% of the time, instead of 3 out of 18 holes which is my average when I am away and is more of “how can I save Par” mentality instead of attacking a particular hole.

Now, trust me on this one, I will be away until Friday, you’ll see more + scores. :lol:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

When are we getting the LIV Golf DLC? :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

pk500 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:51 am
When are we getting the LIV Golf DLC? :)
As soon as the Saudi throw that money at 2K Sports
Follow Me on:

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

10spro wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:14 pm
John, I wanted to answer your compliments here rather than in our limited social messages within the game.
Do you guys post in the society message board? I ask only because I don't think I have ever seen anything on there.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

JOZ wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:51 am
10spro wrote:
Do you guys post in the society message board? I ask only because I don't think I have ever seen anything on there.
Yeah, I see a lot of how do you do it week after week from JC, impressive scoring etc. Good stuff.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Weird. I'm not sure why I wouldn't see anything

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

JOZ wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:51 am
10spro wrote:
I do on occasion, but it's a pain in the butt to enter it and then half the time it gets censored by the cuss filter, whether it's got profanity in it or not.