PGA TOUR 2K21

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: PGA TOUR 2K21

Post by vader29 »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:33 am
dbdynsty25 wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:54 pm

I kind of like the 4 rounders over 4 days. Yeah, I cannot always finish all the rounds, but it's fun being able to get used to a course and how to manage it over the weekend. I mean, is there really a downside to having it? If you don't finish, you don't finish. That's just me I guess...but then again, I'm rarely in competition for actually winning the tournament anyway. :)
I think what's happening with me right now is what happens with me after the FedEx playoffs are over... my mind becomes totally absorbed with football, both college and pro, and if I don't finish my PGA TOUR 2K21 tournament rounds by noon Saturday, I'm far less likely to finish up any remaining tournament rounds. I play in three different societies and since September, the only one whose tournament I've finished every week was DSP's.

I also am the admin of the Reddit PGA TOUR 2K21 forum's XBox Society. It has one 72 hole tournament that starts on Monday evening and finishes on Sunday evening. There's usually between 70 and 85 people who finish that tournament, with probably only 10 to 15% of those who start it not finishing. I think it's something about having six days to play 72 holes that has a bearing on that.

I'll try going back to 36 holes through the end of 2021, and then we'll probably pick back up with 72 holes when the TOUR kicks back off January 3rd at Kapalua Resort, and the Sentry Tournament of Champions. It really depends on what Vader wants to do as he's the President.
I've been absent the last few months from this game, been super busy with regular work through the week and working on weekends getting my new house ready to move into hopefully before winter arrives. Finally settled on a new tv last week, the Samsung QN90A and will definitely have to try this game out with it soon.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

It's good to hear that I'm not the only one having these short putting game issues. It seemed to happen with me right after the latest controller firmware update that Microsoft issued. It actually affected my Elite 2's performance more than the stock controller that came with my Series X. I had gone back to it for the last three weeks, until today, when I went back to the Elite 2. I forced a new firmware download with it connected, recalibrated my swing, spent 10 minutes on the practice green, and played today's round. I shot like a 60 or a 61, I think it was.

I was having to do something different with my putting stroke, however. I have to think "take it back outside the line", and then bring it back straight, with an even, unforced, unaccelerating stroke. I'm still not sure I've got my problems licked long term, but it feels like a start.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:51 pm
Something has changed w/ the short putting in the last few weeks...definitely noticed something is off. But then again, I'm doing the same crap in real life as well. :roll:
My tendency in real life is to pull putts as I'm now doing in this game, but it's easier to reconcile it in real life. It feels like the same stroke I was using prior to the latest controller update was producing the pulls. I've had to engineer a new, less natural feeling stroke to adjust. In due time this new stroke will feel more natural... I hope.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

vader29 wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:37 pm
I've been absent the last few months from this game, been super busy with regular work through the week and working on weekends getting my new house ready to move into hopefully before winter arrives. Finally settled on a new tv last week, the Samsung QN90A and will definitely have to try this game out with it soon.
Does the QN90A support variable refresh rate? Even though PGA TOUR 2K21's vsync is set to 30 or 60 Hz, I've always wondered if it wouldn't perform a little more consistently on a VRR display... you know, for those occasions where the frame rate dips below 60 FPS on the Series X?

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:12 pm
vader29 wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:37 pm
Does the QN90A support variable refresh rate? Even though PGA TOUR 2K21's vsync is set to 30 or 60 Hz, I've always wondered if it wouldn't perform a little more consistently on a VRR display... you know, for those occasions where the frame rate dips below 60 FPS on the Series X?
Yes it has VRR, it's Samsungs 2021 flagship 4K TV: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/qn90a-qled

Beautiful picture and dolby atmos pass-through works with it. It replaced a Samsung KS8000 that I had with dead pixels in the center of the screen from when I crashed a drone into it, lesson learned no more flying drones indoors, at least not in the tv room. :)
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Oh and whatever you guys want on the number of rounds. Im a 2 rounds at a time guy. So either one night or two for me

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

fsquid wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:33 am
Oh and whatever you guys want on the number of rounds. Im a 2 rounds at a time guy. So either one night or two for me
I might need to try your approach to playing 2 rounds at a time. I know I'd benefit from playing 9 holes to warm up, whether it's on the course I'm about to play in tournament or not. It's almost like you have to spend to time to become acclimated with how the server is performing at that particular time. I'm convinced that the swing is affected by the server's performance in this game.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I have a new level of respect for this game after this past week. I had started to feel like the game was getting too easy and too predictable. Then I played our DSP Society tournament at Riviera, in conjunction with the PGA TOUR event there last week. I shot a 66 in round 1 that should have been a 64. I thought I had the course and the game figured out. I then shot three consecutive 71's, where I was fortunate to even be able to post scores that low in those three rounds.

I couldn't get my tempo right. Everything off the tee was hooking due to fast tempos. On the approach I'd then slow my swing down to try to get in the Perfect zone again, only to overcorrect and hit a short slice. On the greens I couldn't get my putt strength right. I lost track of the number of 3-putts I had due to overpowering my birdie putt attempts.

I finished in second place and I could see the other ghost rounds I was playing along with were having similar problems, although most of you hit more fairways than I did. I enjoyed this tournament even though I was frustrated with how I let the course get to me. It wasn't tricked out, it just served to expose my control and power regulation problems in a way that I respected.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Those unexpected struggles John (regular for me now) you experienced the last two weekends is something I just cannot correct since the patch came around nearly 2 months ago? I usually have a fast tempo too, only to struggle the past month or so with a slow to sometimes very slow swing tempo, as I try to compensate for my fast swing.

If you followed my ghost this weekend, you may have noticed that I probably hit 30% of the fairways only as my game is more in tunes of saving pars and bogeys rather than going for birdies. So I had a lot of sand practice instead.

But, based on your recent scores, other than the struggles you found this weekend, I must say the game is rather simple and easy for you. 8)

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

A little something off the beat-un path for Wednesday's 18 hole tournament (which actually starts at 7:00 PM EST tonight). I changed the swing difficulty to "Master" for this tournament at Friars Head, just out of a morbid curiosity I have about how it would affect the scoring and our perception of the degree of challenge it will bring about. It's just a one time shot for this tournament only, but I figured at least it would give us something to talk about for a while.

I wanted to also highlight what I thought was an amazing statistical performance last week at the 72 hole Grand Reserve tournament. Dbdynsty25 hit just over 75% of the fairways and 75% of the greens in regulation for the tournament! 8O That was killing it on that difficult track, as I found a lot of the course to be overly severe. He finished the tournament at -30, which was ten strokes better than second place, and 20 strokes better than my 51% FIR. 61% GIR, -10 total. He mentioned in the club's message board that he played the entire 72 holes in one sitting, as he was "in the groove". If I ever find my groove again, I think I'll put that approach into practice :D

Anyway, I'm still enjoying playing this 19 month old game, thanks in large part to the longevity of this Society. We usually see three to six participants every event, but it's usually a pretty competitive contest. I enjoy playing along with ghost players in asynchronous mode, which gives it a more "live" feel, even though most of the time, I don't see the players. When things get really interesting, I'll enable turn-base so I can see the player animations and get a complete picture of what's happening. It's a nice option to have. This game's analog swing interface that incorporates tempo is what keeps it from feeling too formulaic, IMO. I think they could have modeled the effect of tempo more intuitively, but it at least helps the game's mechanics seem more organic.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Talk about killing me softly with insults JC. Master difficulty?

For a guy that’s been hitting the fairway only about 30% of the time? Bring it on :twisted: if you can see what’s wrong in my animation swing and try to correct my tempo, that would be awesome.

But you’re right, hitting 75% of the fairway on that narrow course and under those wind conditions is incredible.

Now I am out of town again today, and playing with a connection of 9.80 DL speed and latency of 137ms won’t help matters. Four out of the 7 tournaments that I participate in, I play usually with this speed but joking aside even when I get home with and average DL of 250 Mbps, my swing has been off tempo for so long. The ‘very slow’ stop in particular is worrisome.

Now you got me really worried. :evil: :oops: 8)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

It really was a groove. I can’t really explain it. It’s happened a few times over the course of our society. Just had a good run going and couldn’t stop!

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:30 pm
Talk about killing me softly with insults JC. Master difficulty?

For a guy that’s been hitting the fairway only about 30% of the time? Bring it on :twisted: if you can see what’s wrong in my animation swing and try to correct my tempo, that would be awesome.
I have a feeling I'm going to be hoisted by my own petard as I take on this round in Master difficulty later this morning James! I played a few TGC Tour events where "Master" difficulty was in force, and over 10 rounds, I never broke 70. I'd say my average score was like 76. Something about it made me concentrate harder though... I can't quite put my finger on it. I chalked up a 10 and a 7 in the Grand Reserve tournament, both of which were on par 4's. I don't know that any swing analysis I could offer you right now would be of any value! :lol:
Now I am out of town again today, and playing with a connection of 9.80 DL speed and latency of 137ms won’t help matters. Four out of the 7 tournaments that I participate in, I play usually with this speed but joking aside even when I get home with and average DL of 250 Mbps, my swing has been off tempo for so long. The ‘very slow’ stop in particular is worrisome.
Yeesh... those connection and latency speeds won't help you for sure. Maybe this will improve for all of us once Elon Musk' new Starlink internet service is fully functional. If Starlink is supposedly capable of supporting the massive computation and communication demands of the Quantum Financial System, it should be able to allow lag free swings in PGA TOUR 2K21? :)
Now you got me really worried. :evil: :oops: 8)
You will become a better cyber golfer for having suffered through it! 8)

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:09 am
It really was a groove. I can’t really explain it. It’s happened a few times over the course of our society. Just had a good run going and couldn’t stop!
I know what you mean... there was a couple of days last month in which I found a rhythm with my swing that was reproduceable, full swing after full swing. It peaked when I posted my all time lowest score in PGA TOUR 2K21 during an XBox Reddit Society golf tournament round... a 56. I hit 13 out of 14 fairways, and 16 out of 18 greens in that round. One of my pars was a 3-putt par from about 35 feet on a green I had driven. I posted 62 or 61 that same day in my DSP daily round.
The next day, I couldn't find that routine that felt so natural to me the previous day. I occasionally find it now, but it's not consistent enough to last nine holes, let alone an entire round.

I'm hooking most of my misses now. I've just found that I inherently tend to be bit quick on my downswing. I actually line up most of my full shots by aiming to the right, a pro-rated amount, to compensate for it. The occasional slow tempo I get when using that setup is what leads to my 10s and 7s, as they usually result in OB or going into a hazard. My biggest problem though is 3-putting due to not being able to modulate my put strength properly. More often than not, I'll run an 18 foot birdie putt 12 feet past the hole. :oops:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Is anyone just finding this game a bit long in the tooth now? I still squeeze in a few rounds a week but it's been out for what 2 years now and there are still things not fixed or working and is there a new version planned?

I'm eager to see the EA offering just for something fresh.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Danimal wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:14 pm
Is anyone just finding this game a bit long in the tooth now? I still squeeze in a few rounds a week but it's been out for what 2 years now and there are still things not fixed or working and is there a new version planned?

Once they fixed the awful green physics when approaching - it's been by far the most rewarding golf game I've played. So no...to answer your question. As long as they keep updating the niggling issues, then I'm fine with it. It's not like we need a roster update or new uniforms. That can all be added whenever they want.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:14 pm

2K21 came out in August of 2020, so we're a little over 18 months into its run now. I think the long the tooth look & feel comes from the fact that it's using the Unity engine. I'm not sure they'll be able to get away from using it as long as they include the course designer. I doubt I'd still be playing it if they hadn't included the update to run the game at 60 FPS on the Series X. It also helps that it has so many excellent recreations of PGA TOUR made by users. The Society competition feature also gives it more legs. If I had to play the dreadful "Career" mode in this game, I'd have retired from it after a couple of months.

I'm hoping the next version will reverse the rolls of tempo and swing path, to where swing path determines hook and slice and tempo will determine the pull/push result. It still feels counterintuitive to me as it stands, but they're at least two analog variables that broaden the feel of the interface. I also hope to see more graphical nods given to the Series X/S and PS5 capabilities in the next title. I don't think they did anything more than add the option to change the vsync from 30 to 60 Hz, to enable 60 FPS performance to this one.

[EDIT:] I'll add that I now play 11 rounds of golf per week in PGA TOUR 2K21. Three Dailies and a 72 holer here in the DSP Society, and 72 holes in the Reddit XBox Society Tour. I rarely find myself wanting more after that, so yeah, I guess that says a little something about its staying power.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Played my Masters difficulty round late this morning and it went about like I expected. I shot a 73 on the par 71 course, which was one stroke higher than Db and 10spro's 72s. I saw Danimal at 77 after I finished my round. I somehow managed to hit 71% FIRs, but all but one of my fairway misses were way off target. I hit 62% GIRs, which also surprised me, but once again, those that missed were mostly way off target. I missed one green by over 50 yards to the right!?

When it was over, I'd hit so many bad shots that I couldn't believe I was able to put together a 73... it felt more like a 79 or 80. I did manage an eagle and three birdies, but I more than erased them elsewhere.

This was an interesting experiment for one day, but I couldn't see myself playing this way day in and day out. It just seems to be overly punitive on shots that really weren't that far out of the perfect tempo zone.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I can't putt on the XBX, part of it is being too lazy to bring in and pair my Elite controller but I was putting for birdie on a par 5 and took an 8. I don't have the same issues with the PC version but again using the Elite controller there.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I am back in town, that connection I had in my hotel room was brutal with the high latency, probably just hit 3 fairways in total and don’t know how I scrambled to shoot a 72, because like John’s experience I definitely felt like I had to fight like nails on every single hole. So John if you can see my stats, shot trajectory, what not, give me some pointers although I was struggling more this time with a hook, rather than the slow tempo swing I’ve been experiencing since the patch.

For those that have an Elite controller, how is it that it helps you play better?

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:33 pm
I can't putt on the XBX, part of it is being too lazy to bring in and pair my Elite controller but I was putting for birdie on a par 5 and took an 8. I don't have the same issues with the PC version but again using the Elite controller there.
I definitely putt better with my Elite 2 controller on my Series X. That said, I still can score better on the PC version of the game than I can on the XBox Series X. My tempo is more consistent on the PC is the main reason why. It's not a night and day difference, but enough to be measurable. That said, for some reason I enjoy playing the game on the Series X more. It's less of a hassle to launch, it loads much faster, and there's just a warmer ambiance about it... just can't put my finger on it.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:57 pm
I am back in town, that connection I had in my hotel room was brutal with the high latency, probably just hit 3 fairways in total and don’t know how I scrambled to shoot a 72, because like John’s experience I definitely felt like I had to fight like nails on every single hole. So John if you can see my stats, shot trajectory, what not, give me some pointers although I was struggling more this time with a hook, rather than the slow tempo swing I’ve been experiencing since the patch.

For those that have an Elite controller, how is it that it helps you play better?
James, I find the tempo easier to regulate using the Elite 2 controller. The movement of the stick feels smoother, which also helps me on modulating my putt stroke strength better. That said, I still grossly overpower probably 25% of my putts of 20 feet or longer. It would be worse without the Elite 2 based in previous experience.

I've noticed in playing with your ghost ball that you tend to have more slow tempos than I do. My guess is that could be more down to your connection quality. I wish HB Studios could figure out a way to freeze other animation and transmission of data during the actual swing? This would dedicate all the hardware's capability toward rendering a more fluid and responsive animation that would yield a more satisfying play experience. Perfect Golf on the PC has an option called (I think) "pause on render", which freezes all screen animation during the swing for players using the 3-click swing interface. If they could do that for a 3-click, I don't know why it couldn't be done an analog thumbstick swing, freezing everything except the golfer animation?

It just seems to be so bass ackwards to have a golf game in 2022 that can't render a golf swing animation without relying on a host server to be such a pivotal part of the animation quality? :?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I just luv it when I see the majority of our scores mirror the current event in Florida. I maxed out in the infamous hole #17 on the third round and if you watch the ‘The Players event’ today, it’s amazingly similar the wind conditions in what they are advertising as the toughest conditions in decades. I remember going for a swim 3X there as I just could NOT figure out the wind.

Similar scenario currently in the second/third round for the Pros. The scoreboard is as tight as a can of sardines, and to celebrate the upcoming Irish day what a hole in one for Shane Lowry on #17.

#18 is not a picnic either…

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:24 pm
I just luv it when I see the majority of our scores mirror the current event in Florida. I maxed out in the infamous hole #17 on the third round and if you watch the ‘The Players event’ today, it’s amazingly similar the wind conditions in what they are advertising as the toughest conditions in decades. I remember going for a swim 3X there as I just could NOT figure out the wind.

Similar scenario currently in the second/third round for the Pros. The scoreboard is as tight as a can of sardines, and to celebrate the upcoming Irish day what a hole in one for Shane Lowry on #17.

#18 is not a picnic either…
I enjoyed the Sawgrass tournament quite a bit, even though I made some colossal blunders along with way. Our scores... outside of Jozz's phenomenal performance (he's a putting machine I'm telling you!), were reasonably in line with reality. I actually played 17 and 18 in 2 under par for the tournament and only threatened the water once on 17. I had too much backspin on the approach and the ball was saved from rolling back into the drink by the 18" of rough between the green and the landscape timbers on the lack wall.

The hole that killed me in this tournament was #1. I bogeyed it in round 1, triple bogeyed it in round 2, bogeyed it in round 3, and finally parred it in round 4, after missing a 12 foot birdie putt. Putting remains my most serious problem. For whatever reason, I can't regulate my putt strength with any degree of accuracy. I'm facing far too many 10 to 15 foot par putts.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

John, just curious. Do you have your controller vibration on? I never change the distance cursor the game gives, just right and left for break. I then slowly pull back until I first feel the vibration then push forward. Not sure if that helps at all.

I was just planning on jumping in and playing a one round daily. Forgot that weekend tournaments started on Thursday. I have always loved Sawgrass though

Saw your post earlier about the reddit society and found that. Played the weekend tournament there and was able to get third, two shots back. Actually had 56 the first round and had the lead after the 2nd. But the leader shot all four rounds under 60 8O