Retro Gaming

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

MUTTS
Starting 5
Starting 5

Re: Retro Gaming

Post by MUTTS »

I knew the PS2 was in the basement forever but we had no games. Thanks to this thread I picked up a bunch online for dirt cheap of course. Spent the morning playing NCAA football 05, Brunswick pro bowling and MVP NCAA baseball 07. Madden 06 and Madden 10 are next up.
Tony

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

MUTTS wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:31 pm
I knew the PS2 was in the basement forever but we had no games. Thanks to this thread I picked up a bunch online for dirt cheap of course. Spent the morning playing NCAA football 05, Brunswick pro bowling and MVP NCAA baseball 07. Madden 06 and Madden 10 are next up.
Tony
thats funny i did the same thing over the weekend. I guess w/ all the NCAA FB talk last week, it made me get the PS2 out of the garage.

Since Xbox no longer allows emulation the ps2 is the only option I have now. The ps2 controller still feels great in my hands. But I did buy a bluetooth plug in that lets me use any bluetooth controller like ps5/ps4/xbox on ps2. I am content with using the ps5 controller to play ps2 just because the ps2 cord doesn't reach to my couch.

You gave me some nice ideas for buying some more games. Probably cheaper to buy off ebay than buying a new PC just to emulate.

MUTTS
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by MUTTS »

Had the most enjoyable game of Madden 06 last night. Maybe its that I've hit 50 and the current gen sports games are too real (translation too complicated). My kids do all this fancy button combinations that I cant get right. But I had no issues picking up the older versions of these games and they are just fun to me. I'm old I guess.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

MUTTS wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:20 am
Had the most enjoyable game of Madden 06 last night. Maybe its that I've hit 50 and the current gen sports games are too real (translation too complicated). My kids do all this fancy button combinations that I cant get right. But I had no issues picking up the older versions of these games and they are just fun to me. I'm old I guess.
ya i agree. they play like videogames. not everything needs to be a real life sim. i bought some more games off ebay. they were like $2 bucks each. the ps2 and xbox360 era of games will never be matched again.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

for those of you who do emulation on PC, do you need a high end PC to run PS3/XB360 games?

Since Xbox banned retail emulation last year on xbx/s , I think I may just pay the $20 dev fee and try it in dev mode for PS2. Does Xenia work on XBX yet or it's still glitchy?

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:14 am
Lancer wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:39 pm
I would just to own a device that has all the PS2 games. If that exists let me know where I can buy it.
It now exists and mine just arrived.

AYN Odin 2…absolutely fantastic device. Does most Switch games too. More power than the emulators can even use right now.

Base model is $300, the same price as the GCloud originally. Just ten times the power. You can only really order the Pro (the one I got) and the Max (overkill imo) right now but if you keep checking their site it restocks all the time. My goal was ps2 and switch so I went with the Pro model just for the extra RAM.

https://www.ayntec.com/products/odin-2
Thanks for recommending this bad boy… I’m new to the emulation world, but this thing is freaking amazing!
GT = Wilk5280

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

I have a steamdeck and use it mainly as an emulator. Got a number of genesis games to work but struggled to get any other systems going. was hoping for the 360 to play NCAA but couldn't pull it off.

Does this thing 1. play the XBOX cloud gaming easily? 2. make emulation easier?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Sudz wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:40 am
I have a steamdeck and use it mainly as an emulator. Got a number of genesis games to work but struggled to get any other systems going. was hoping for the 360 to play NCAA but couldn't pull it off.

If you're talking to us with the Odin 2, then yes, Cloud gaming, piece of cake and runs great. Emulation isn't any easier than on the Steam Deck. Most systems aren't playing 360 games...they are topping off at PS2 currently. The emulators aren't mature enough for the newer gen games. There are tons of walk throughs on Youtube for getting the Odin 2 up and running and all of the settings you need for each emulator.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:50 am
Sudz wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:40 am

If you're talking to us with the Odin 2, then yes, Cloud gaming, piece of cake and runs great. Emulation isn't any easier than on the Steam Deck. Most systems aren't playing 360 games...they are topping off at PS2 currently. The emulators aren't mature enough for the newer gen games. There are tons of walk throughs on Youtube for getting the Odin 2 up and running and all of the settings you need for each emulator.
Thanks. I've got a few emulators running on my deck but haven't been able to get a few of them working - mainly anything 360 and beyond. The Xbox cloud gaming looks complicated on the deck so i was wondering if it was easier on the odin. I've used my ipad and an xbox controller just fine though.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Sudz wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:45 am
Thanks. I've got a few emulators running on my deck but haven't been able to get a few of them working - mainly anything 360 and beyond. The Xbox cloud gaming looks complicated on the deck so i was wondering if it was easier on the odin. I've used my ipad and an xbox controller just fine though.
You install the Gamepass app, launce it, select your game, click on the cloud. Boom, you're playing. It's simple.

That said, if you're getting a handheld for ONLY cloud gaming and emulators from PS1 and below, the original Odin is probably a better option, just because you can get it for half the price (give or take). That or the GCloud of course if you want a bigger screen. The Odin 2 is overkill for that stuff...but if you wanna do PS2, Gamecube, Wii, DC, etc...Odin 2 is where it's at.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I’ve got all these games and systems to choose from and while on a work trip I can cant stop playing CMR 2.0 on this thing.

With everything maxed out and the analog control scheme, this game still holds up well today. Like, really f’ing well.
GT = Wilk5280

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

Been using the ePSXe Playstation One emulator on an old computer to play ESPN MLS Gamenight (The US "equivalent" of Winning Eleven 4 (Japan) and ISS Pro Evolution (Europe)).The gameplay still seems first-class to me, almost 25 years down the road.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Does anyone know if it’s possible to import game saves like Named Roster files onto these emulation devices?

Having games like NCAA football 2004, I’d love to get the named rosters on here.
GT = Wilk5280

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Wilk5280 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:43 pm
I’ve got all these games and systems to choose from and while on a work trip I can cant stop playing CMR 2.0 on this thing.

With everything maxed out and the analog control scheme, this game still holds up well today. Like, really f’ing well.
Right? Been playing a dynasty of MVP NCAA baseball and NCAA College Hoops. The games were just so much cooler and original back then.

And no, I don't know if you can get the named rosters...haven't looked into it since I just randomly generate names for the two NCAA games I play.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Was bumbed to learn today that Hot Shots Golf Fore! on PS2 is one of the few games that don’t emulate well on android.

If anyone comes along some settings for that game please let me know. It’s one of my favorites from that generation and was looking forward to playing it on the Odin 2.
GT = Wilk5280

Bakes
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Bakes »

Check out NCAA Next 06 if you are looking for updated rosters for NCAA Football on PS2. I have it running on my Steam Deck and it is ridiculous the amount of effort these guys put in. Updated rosters, conferences, logos, stadiums, etc.

For NFL there is NFL2k5 resurrected. Same story here - updated rosters, logos, pictures, etc. They even have different broadcast mods ie CBS, Fox... Again this runs great on my Steam Deck.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I'm assuming I would be able to get NFL 2K5 running on my new pc?

Bakes
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Bakes »

sportdan30 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:27 am
I'm assuming I would be able to get NFL 2K5 running on my new pc?
Yes, looks great.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Wilk5280 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:22 am
Was bumbed to learn today that Hot Shots Golf Fore! on PS2 is one of the few games that don’t emulate well on android.

If anyone comes along some settings for that game please let me know. It’s one of my favorites from that generation and was looking forward to playing it on the Odin 2.
As it stands, when you use Vulcan or OpenGL there are a few games that stutter like crazy and are unplayable. With Hot Shots I just turned on software rendering and play it in the native res stretched vertically. Perfectly playable you just don't get many of the graphical enhancements. Sucks but at least you can play the game!

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Sweet, thanks!
GT = Wilk5280

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:24 pm
Wilk5280 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:22 am

As it stands, when you use Vulcan or OpenGL there are a few games that stutter like crazy and are unplayable. With Hot Shots I just turned on software rendering and play it in the native res stretched vertically. Perfectly playable you just don't get many of the graphical enhancements. Sucks but at least you can play the game!
Here's some weirdness:

I didn't know to turn off auto-updates in the google play store and didn't realize that my aethersx2 app updated, but couldn't launch games from the frontend and had to launch them through that emulator itself. I'm all wet behind the ear when it comes to this stuff, so once I realized the emulator updated, I rolled back to the last build that didn't have add support and could launch games through the front end. The only problem with that is since doing that, Hot Shots Golf Fore looks like s*** on software rendering. There swing meter and hud is extremely over saturated and I can't tell where the power indicator is within the swing meter anymore.

I updated to the latest version again to see if that would resolve the issue, but it didn't. Rolled back again after seeing it didn't look any better in the latest official release. I have no friggin' idea what could have changed, but it was very playable after you told me to use software rendering and looked great, relatively speaking, in its native resolution. Huge bummer that I jacked something up and can't get it back. I've even tried resetting all of the settings to recommended.

On a much better note, I am still having an incredible time playing CMR 2.0 I'm finding that more enjoyable than the current gen game. It's not just nostalgia talking, that game is a true gem.
GT = Wilk5280

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Ouch, yeah. There are some games, especially on the PS2, that get hosed pretty easily. Let me check tonight when I get home...I think the best option for you will be to switch to NetherSX (or whatever it's called). You basically build the files, which are updated regularly, from a github. There are walkthroughs on Youtube for it. Check out the reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comm ... n_android/

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Changed my frontend to Emulation Station. I'm a fan of it so far, pretty friggin' sweet.
GT = Wilk5280

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Wilk5280 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:11 pm
Changed my frontend to Emulation Station. I'm a fan of it so far, pretty friggin' sweet.
Yup, did it as well. Can't decide if I like it or not. It's a bit too busy for my tastes.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Does anyone do PS2 emulation on the Series S/X? If so, have you tested or played Hot Shots Golf 3/Fore and if so how is the performance?
GT = Wilk5280