Influx of spam

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Influx of spam

Post by ScoopBrady »

I am doing my best to clean it up, fellas. Has anybody put together a summary of the links worth visiting? Asking for a friend. :lol:
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

ScoopBrady wrote:I am doing my best to clean it up, fellas. Has anybody put together a summary of the links worth visiting? Asking for a friend. :lol:
What I want to know is how are these bots getting registered as members, en masse? I know of the friends I've helped get membership over the last three years, they've had to go through several steps to get it done. Whatever loophole the bots have discovered, I hope it gets plugged soon.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Good lord, it's like kudzu on crack. Amazes me that this site has been mostly free of this junk for so many years, then absolutely eaten up with it in short order...
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Teal wrote:Good lord, it's like kudzu on crack. Amazes me that this site has been mostly free of this junk for so many years, then absolutely eaten up with it in short order...
It's almost like whatever Jared had in place to stop this has expired. I still wondering if this isn't a former DSP'er creating all these accounts who might have gotten banned for posting pr0n in the past?

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

I think Jared gave up on this forum, his last post was November 21 of last year and before that was a single post in 2015. Whoever hacked his account obviously turned all safety precautions off.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

vader29 wrote:I think Jared gave up on this forum, his last post was November 21 of last year and before that was a single post in 2015. Whoever hacked his account obviously turned all safety precautions off.
Yeah but he still pays the rent for the website. Scoop needs to make us all mods so we can delete this sh*t, it's getting annoying.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Jared is still around, but I don't think he checks in here unless he gets messaged. Scoop helped me get his attention to have our three latest DSP Society member's registrations done here in the forum. Jared wrote me a PM on the 22nd to advise me that he'd approved their registrations. I think Scoop knows how to message via an alternative means.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

J_Cauthen wrote:Jared is still around, but I don't think he checks in here unless he gets messaged. Scoop helped me get his attention to have our three latest DSP Society member's registrations done here in the forum. Jared wrote me a PM on the 22nd to advise me that he'd approved their registrations. I think Scoop knows how to message via an alternative means.
I sent him a pm back in February about a possible solution to fix the youtube embeds for chrome users and the pm never showed as read until this past week when the spammers took over.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

vader29 wrote:I sent him a pm back in February about a possible solution to fix the youtube embeds for chrome users and the pm never showed as read until this past week when the spammers took over.
In my last two attempts to get his attention on something, I had to tap Scoop on the shoulder to get in touch with him, using whatever channel he's using to do it. He might be overwhelmed with this latest spam wave... Lord knows I wouldn't know how to handle it without calling in a consultant.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

J_Cauthen wrote:
vader29 wrote:I sent him a pm back in February about a possible solution to fix the youtube embeds for chrome users and the pm never showed as read until this past week when the spammers took over.
In my last two attempts to get his attention on something, I had to tap Scoop on the shoulder to get in touch with him, using whatever channel he's using to do it. He might be overwhelmed with this latest spam wave... Lord knows I wouldn't know how to handle it without calling in a consultant.
Someone mentioned the spammers probably hacked his account. Changing his profile and password and closing down all new entries would help. The other two forums should be closed permanently as they are dead. The other thing is to add some other members with privileges to delete the spam.

At first it was funny, now the spam is pushing down the threads we created and have to look for it.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

As I said I have a discord if we want to move there until / if this is resolved. Web forums like these are a dying breed, you can do the same things and more on Discord.

Anyone wants the invite just PM me.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

R1zzo23
Mario Mendoza

Post by R1zzo23 »

Wow this spam is unreal!

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

It's the return of RiddleMan.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I've offered my services to Jared to help out with the deletion of the spam, but we've also got to remove all these new bots and create a new admin account for Jared so more can't come in behind them with the now apparently cracked code. I'm retired now and am able to keep a good check on this, so I might as well use my early retirement for the good of my fellow gamers! :D

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

I'm on it....should fix it in an hour or so.....

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

Hi everyone,

First, let me apologize about the delay in getting to this. For some reason, I didn't see the PMs about the spam until yesterday.

Anyways, there was an issue with users who wanted to join the forum not being approved. It is done manually, and I haven't been getting the alerts to approve those who have manually registered. As a quick fix, I opened up the forum for automatic registration, and tightened one of the counter-spam measures for auto registration. Little did I know that the bots can evade those specific measures...which is probably why I set users to only be approved by me a looooong time ago.

Stupidly, I didn't then check to make sure that the spam flood didn't happen....and it did.

Note that the forum definitely was NOT hacked. This was just my mistake.

So my apologies again. I'm going to dig around to fix some other stuff (re: making sure that PM notifications get to me immediately) so there isn't a long delay in my response to this.

How's everyone doing?

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

...and also, just a heads up. I do quiet maintenance of the forum, other work behind the scenes, pay the bills for the server, and occasionally lurk. Unfortunately, I don't have the time that I used to for posting....I've only just recently gotten back into gaming. So I'm still around...just quietly.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Jared wrote:How's everyone doing?
Good on this end, hope the same for you and your family. Glad you're back, that spam sh*t at first was funny because of the thread you created to approve all new members. :lol:

Then it quickly got annoying cause all of our threads were pushed down the page and we had to go find it.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Jared wrote:...and also, just a heads up. I do quiet maintenance of the forum, other work behind the scenes, pay the bills for the server, and occasionally lurk. Unfortunately, I don't have the time that I used to for posting....I've only just recently gotten back into gaming. So I'm still around...just quietly.
And we appreciate it all Jared. Thanks man. This little corner of the internet is the only forum I visit on the daily because of the guys and the simplicity of the forum. Some of them are just too damn busy and complicated so this one has always been a favorite. So just know that we appreciate it. Also, why don't you start a little fund so we can contribute a bit to the costs so you're not footing the bill of a forum you don't have time to visit? :)

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

dbdynsty25 wrote:And we appreciate it all Jared. Thanks man. This little corner of the internet is the only forum I visit on the daily because of the guys and the simplicity of the forum. Some of them are just too damn busy and complicated so this one has always been a favorite. So just know that we appreciate it. Also, why don't you start a little fund so we can contribute a bit to the costs so you're not footing the bill of a forum you don't have time to visit? :)
I echo what db is saying Jared. This message forum is what, 17 years old now... it's a historical site now! I'd like to donate to the cost of the site also. At one time there was a PayPal link for that. Has that disappeared or am I just missing it!

Oh, the forum looks pristine again, and I noticed Jared got rid of all the spam bot members. Thanks again Jared!

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Jared wrote:...and also, just a heads up. I do quiet maintenance of the forum, other work behind the scenes, pay the bills for the server, and occasionally lurk. Unfortunately, I don't have the time that I used to for posting....I've only just recently gotten back into gaming. So I'm still around...just quietly.
Jared, great to hear from you and thanks so much for fixing the spam issue and for continuing to take care of this old school "band of idiots". I am also all for the idea of contributing to any ongoing costs.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Thanks for clearing the spam and for keeping this joint alive, Jared! Good to hear from you.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

This place is like family to me, don't know what I would do if it went away so thanks for all you do.

You can get rid of the online leagues forum we don't use it and if you want some volunteer mods just let us know.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Just echoing everyone’s sentiment. Thanks for working in behind the scenes to keep us all in touch. Hope you get to enjoy whatever gaming time you have. For what’s its worth, there’s still one more spam thread to clean up from what I can see. Thanks Jared!

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Thanks man.